PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Aluminum Trailers

greengiant9963
03-14-2008, 06:48 PM
In the next 3 to 4 weeks I am looking at getting a 6.5x 16 open aluminum landscape trailer. The make is Forest River. I have never owned one before so really would like to know from anyone the pro's and con's of them. The weight is about 800 to 900 pounds less than the steel 16 footer I have now. Also no rusting. Just not sure how they hold up. Any info I can get would be appreciated.

maul ratt
03-16-2008, 06:13 PM
The trailer you are asking about would be an excellent choice. I am a builder/ lawn care individual that sells these trailers as well. I hauled a Scag ZTR on the 16 trailer all last summer and loved it. The ramp is light weight when you are lifting it up and down several times a day. You can also move the trailer on the ball a little easier than heavy steel trailers.
I was nervous about the durability of the aluminum trailers at first and I can say that they have far exceeded my expectations. I've hauled it full of heavy firewood this winter, topsoil, mulch, and heavy concrete too. Feel free to ask me any specific questions. I know these trailers inside and out and highly recommend them. :usflag:

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
03-16-2008, 06:22 PM
My 2 cents i would look out for a alumnum tonque on a trailer,forest river makes a super looking trailer but it has wood floors,for the money you are spending you should get aluminum floors i had a featherlight,super trailer light but i went with enclosed for cutting itz the only way..for 4k or better get a enclosed thatz what you are looking to spend....

greengiant9963
03-16-2008, 07:53 PM
The trailer you are asking about would be an excellent choice. I am a builder/ lawn care individual that sells these trailers as well. I hauled a Scag ZTR on the 16 trailer all last summer and loved it. The ramp is light weight when you are lifting it up and down several times a day. You can also move the trailer on the ball a little easier than heavy steel trailers.
I was nervous about the durability of the aluminum trailers at first and I can say that they have far exceeded my expectations. I've hauled it full of heavy firewood this winter, topsoil, mulch, and heavy concrete too. Feel free to ask me any specific questions. I know these trailers inside and out and highly recommend them. :usflag:

Thanks for the info. Have you ever had any problems of cracking on any of the welding on your trailer?

maul ratt
03-18-2008, 01:06 AM
I never had any cracking or problems with welds. I put the trailer to the test and it passed with flying colors. I would recommend another trailer manufacturer to you as well. Here's a link...
http://geterdumped.com/Aluminum.html

maul ratt
03-18-2008, 03:27 PM
:usflag: The reason to check out the other trailer manufacturer is because of a few improvements to Forest River.
1. The trailers have 3 tow bars instead of 2. This gives it more strength.

2. The tires are 15" radial instead of 14". The spare tire 205/75R15 is easy to find locally. Always carry a spare!

Other than that, Forest River offers aluminum deck upgrades instead of wood. Personally, I prefer wood and don't see any problem with it. I treat them with Thompsons before using them.