PDA

View Full Version : plow money almost gone

jrmyj
03-14-2008, 11:32 PM
heres the deal, my buddy and i took all the money we made from plowing this year to start up a lawn care buis. so far we bought

60" exmark zero turn
52" exmark zero turn
52" exmark walk behind
16' trailer
line trimmers
hedge trimmers

so there are some more things we need but now we need to cut some cost. we are going to get some 400.00 deere push mowers to save money. has anyone had good luck with these or are we wasting our money.

thanks guys
jj

bigw
03-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Plow money??? dam in pa we made no plow money this year..very minimal at best!:cry:

TheTurfTender
03-14-2008, 11:45 PM
With the $400 I made plowing, I paid for my fert license, and put aside $ for servicemagic bids!

At least you have good equipment though!

RickR1818
03-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Yea, I would have cut out one of those mowers and spent that on advertising. It doesnt matter what type of equipment you have if it doesn't leave the garage.

ProCut_48
03-14-2008, 11:53 PM
husky makes a good 21 inch walk behind that is a 3 in 1 unit for around that same price!

Coopster81
03-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Yeah.....Expect to put what you make back into your business for a while!!!!!!!! When i was in school for Landscape architecture t osu...i splashed in the business part time....You better believe every penny went back into my business...Trucks ,trailers ,Tillers ,sod cutters ,Advertising ,And way to many more to list.....But today im pretty successful and im starting to reap what i sowed 5 yrs ago....trust me it pays off!!!! Just a word of advice....The temptation is there to get really big really fast!!!! Take your time and grow at a comfortable pace , And dont let the business completely consume you!!! BALANCE

mowing grass 1111
03-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Plow money??? dam in pa we made no plow money this year..very minimal at best!:cry:

around here the only time i see a plow is when its in a field turing up the soil... virginia is due for a good snow storm

cgaengineer
03-15-2008, 12:48 AM
heres the deal, my buddy and i took all the money we made from plowing this year to start up a lawn care buis. so far we bought

60" exmark zero turn
52" exmark zero turn
52" exmark walk behind
16' trailer
line trimmers
hedge trimmers

so there are some more things we need but now we need to cut some cost. we are going to get some 400.00 deere push mowers to save money. has anyone had good luck with these or are we wasting our money.

thanks guys
jj

Why so many larger sized mowers? Return/sell the 52" WB and get a couple of Toro, Exmark or Snapper 21"'s. What are you going to do if you have a larger sized gated back yard? OH, I tried one of those JD pushers...junk, wheels felt like they were going to fall off. You would be better with a homeowner Snapper with a Briggs on it.

bill8379
03-15-2008, 02:06 AM
around here the only time i see a plow is when its in a field turing up the soil... virginia is due for a good snow storm

I still got 3 ft. of snow and two more weeks in my snow contracts.:canadaflag:

jrmyj
03-15-2008, 11:07 AM
we went with the bigger ones because we are planning to do mostly commercial accts. we also got a killer deal on them. thanks for posting.

LTDLawnCare
03-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Why so many larger sized mowers? Return/sell the 52" WB and get a couple of Toro, Exmark or Snapper 21"'s. What are you going to do if you have a larger sized gated back yard? OH, I tried one of those JD pushers...junk, wheels felt like they were going to fall off. You would be better with a homeowner Snapper with a Briggs on it.

I disagree on this one. I think that if your were going to trade the 52" for anything it would be a 48". My 48" scag and walker both fit in most backyards. The ones that we do have to push mow are small and to be honest with you, wouldnt be my customers if they did not have at least a $40 front lawn. As for buying a $400.00 push mower, cut more costs and buy the $150 model. If it breaks then throw it out. Maybe some people like the look of a 21" stripe, personally, It doesnt do anything for me.

jrmyj
03-15-2008, 04:01 PM
thanks for the advice coopster. its so hard to not try and go huge right off the bat. my buddy and i are lucky that we dont have to advertise because we walked into a bunch of accounts off the bat from networking. but its hard to spend that money since we wont see a return for a couple of months.

capnsac
03-15-2008, 10:25 PM
jrmyj I'd just save some money if you have your truck, trailer, mowers, blowers, trimmers, and insurance. Use what you have until you know that you need something else in order to be more efficient, then buy it and write it off as a business expense. Then at the end of the season see what you used the least, sell it, and never look back. Best of luck to ya, I too am starting out this year on my own, been working in the fields for 6 years though so I hope this bit of info helps.

Runner
03-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Nope,...with what you have now, you have already determined the caliber you guys are going to be...and ther's nothing wrong with that.When you are asked "What are you going to do when you get a fenced in backyard, or a larger fenced in backyard with a narrow gate?" you do the same thing I did for years....you keep going right down the road to the place that DOESN'T have a narrow gate. If they want to change the gate - and give themselves a useful gate that they hemselves can use, then fine....If not,...that's fine, too. There is too much work out there to be had. there is NO WAY I'm goig to be running a 48" or 36" wb when I have a 60" Z sitting out there n the trailer doing nothing.

mike13
03-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Damn! Looks like you did pretty good for yourself this winter. All I could get was a 48" belt drive scag WB and a $20 21" weedeater. LOL! Oh well, it'll get my foot in the door. Good luck man!

TheKingNJ
03-16-2008, 04:17 PM
hope you have the accounts to make the money back.

deere615
03-16-2008, 09:35 PM

LOL, I agree

J&R Landscaping
03-16-2008, 10:52 PM
You've bought all the equipment, do you have any accounts yet? I would have only bought one large ztr and let it be for now. Good luck!