PDA

View Full Version : Hows everybody doin with their marketing for the 08 season?

DK lawn care
03-15-2008, 12:41 AM
How are you guys all doin? How about u LCO's from ohio?

RickR1818
03-15-2008, 12:54 AM
I am from Indiana and so far it hasn't been great. I just got my door hangers today so hopefully that will help. This cool rainy weather isn't helping. I am thinking that around the end of the month or beginning of April it will pick up. I am eager to hear from others in this area also.

lawnpro724
03-15-2008, 03:33 PM
I advertise all over the place in every phone book in the newspaper on the trucks on the guys and even on those benches outside of stores. In the last week I have picked up close to $20,000 in new landscaping jobs so yes things are working out great. You have to spend the money to keep your name out in front of everyone all the time and then you have to do great work so everyone is happy and then word of mouth will bring in even more work. Half the new business I do every year is from word of mouth and the other is from advertising.

Weekes
03-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Nearly $0 dollars spent and actually have not "advertised" this year, just a few phone calls and letters sent. Have about $40,000 increase in jobs this year so far. Mostly HOA/commercial so no guarantee's on them for next year, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. Not saying this will happen every year, just a good year so far. I know I'll have to kick into advertising again sometime, but we are pleased so far.

PlatinumLandCon
03-15-2008, 03:50 PM
18" of snow still on the ground here, will start to advertise in about 2 weeks.

DK lawn care
03-15-2008, 04:42 PM
I wanted to pass out flyers last sat and sun. But we got hit buy 24 inchs of snow. So i was doin snow removal for the sat and sun now i am out of town. I dont get back untill next fri. IS that to late to be passin out flyers and stuff?

Weekes
03-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I wanted to pass out flyers last sat and sun. But we got hit buy 24 inchs of snow. So i was doin snow removal for the sat and sun now i am out of town. I dont get back untill next fri. IS that to late to be passin out flyers and stuff?

Not if you are still getting hit with snow.

Actually it is good to advertise all the time. I pick up new clients in August. Yes there are windows when it will be better, but I get new clients year round.

DK lawn care
03-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Ur right, but for the past 2 days its been 40 to 50 so all that snow is meltin. We never get snow but for some random reason we got hit big time.

nathan D.
03-15-2008, 06:20 PM
About two weeks ago down here in Missiouri the weather man said we was not supposed to get any snow. And i wake up the next morning and there was 4 inches of snow. So i worked till about 5 pm plowing snow get home and the next morning there was about another 3 inches of snow. I mean it i am sick and tired of this cold weather. I am really wanting it to get to about 70 or 80 degres

TheTurfTender
03-15-2008, 06:36 PM
I had this posted in another post, but it's relavent:

My marketing campaign in a nutshell.

Service Magic Account Leads

Adwords

Yahoo Search Marketing

Yahoo Local Listings

Citysearch Listings.

3" by 5" add in local paper 78,000 circulation running 8 weeks

2000 door hangers going out starting next week!

All in all a little over 1K in marketing cost.

So, as a pilot. I figured I would print up 10-20 business flyers and go into a couple of shops and try out my game. It needs a little work, and I want my message to be consistent. So printing out 12 half-ass flyers seem to be an economical way go in getting ready for a hopefully busy late march and April.

So you did miss a little, but it would have been hard to visualize seeing I never put the info out there till now!

Happy Hunting to us all!!

Dynamic
03-15-2008, 07:22 PM
We still have at least 2 1/2 feet of snow on the ground and I started a month ago with advertising. I put about 40 post cards up at grocery stores and pull tag flyers up every where and the weekend of the 29th we are in a home show. I have got 14 large commercial tenders out so far and I am intisipating another 8 tenders to become available in the next week or so. But so far I think everyone is still dealing with snow removal as we got 20" last weekend.

DK lawn care
03-16-2008, 06:36 PM
this snow is terrible. I could of had mine out already. Dam snow lol.

green-pa
03-16-2008, 08:26 PM
I was going to put a bunch of flyers out here in Indy, but it's going to be freezing tempts out. I just decided to wait at least another 3-4 days. It's not going to be an early spring as it was last year. It reached 80 before March was done in '07. I'd be happy for just 60's.

CrimsonLawnCare
03-17-2008, 12:03 AM
ya, the snow is just starting to disappear here in Northern, IL.. Just started to pass out my 10,000 flyers so we will see what happens, hopefully i get some calls but we all know the return rate on flyers :(

topsites
03-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Nothing here, then again my ad doesn't come out until this week. :D

It's been a trick, I try to get my ad out right when spring first starts...
Any earlier all I get is price and window shoppers, and tire kickers...
But even one day late is detrimental too, so I usually shoot for middle of March which is 2 weeks early here thou oddly enough this year the grass has started to growing already... Weird but I'm almost a week late, maybe next year I'll start one week earlier just to be sure.

I do believe timing is crucial, either hit it dead on or just run it year-round, because too early or too late is no good.
I start 1-2 weeks early to be sure, then cover the whole 3-4 weeks of spring and 1-2 more weeks to be sure, at a minimum.
This year it's a 3x4 color for 7 weeks and I got a bonus 1/2 back page for one sector of the next county over the first week, local newspaper, all in all almost 3g (small paper, not the Sunday paper guys).

The web site map needs updating, to include that one sector of the next county, and a few other things, hopefully most of last year's customers stick around too... But either way I should be ready for it, tired of lack of demand resulting in slack production, even if I did enjoy the A/C very much last year.