PDA

View Full Version : Spring Clean up question

grasscutter845
03-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Im going to start my clean ups next week and wondering do you guys mow the lawn and bag it in the spring. or is it to early to mow? Im not looking to cut the grass, just use my bagger to get whatever i didnt get up

YoungGun
03-15-2008, 12:16 PM
If the grass is not to wet then ya run the bagger over it and give it some nice stripes

topsites
03-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Im going to start my clean ups next week and wondering do you guys mow the lawn and bag it in the spring. or is it to early to mow? Im not looking to cut the grass, just use my bagger to get whatever i didnt get up

Well, does it need cutting?

Geezus people, you really need to get with it here, you mean to tell me you can't look at a lawn and tell me if it needs cutting?
You supposedly own a Lawn Cutting business, and you can not look at a lawn and tell, just from the look of things, if it needs it, or not?
If you own such a business you're supposed to be an expert, and as such you can't tell?

How do you intend on keeping someone on a schedule, you just show up every so often and 'cut' whether it needs it or not, how does that work?
So what if it doesn't need it, but the guys here say they would (lets assume because in their neck of the woods it does), so based on that you're going to run the mower over it, even if it absolutely hasn't grown?

That's just horse crap, no wonder customers act the way they do.

grasscutter845
03-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Listen hot shot, if we were all wonderful and perfect like you lawnsite wouldnt exist, this is a place for questions and help. This is my second year in business looking for some help.

topsites
03-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Listen hot shot, if we were all wonderful and perfect like you lawnsite wouldnt exist, this is a place for questions and help. This is my second year in business looking for some help.

I would bring the mower with, then use it based on need.
Some it might be worth it just to ease the cleanup, others will likely be kinda 50-50, some won't need it at all.
So load it, then you have it if you need it, you will unlikely be in need of the trailer space for hauling (and if it's that bad you might want to give them an estimate for that).

Runner
03-15-2008, 02:04 PM
In all fairness, I di most of my first cut before it needs it. I do alot of JRCO rake work, then do a nice short cut o it. Because of the way I do my fert. programs the season before, I then get a good green up and everyone is happy. The beauty of it is, is that it is still greening up at it's own pace...not being shocked into greening by a hard dose of N early in the season. This is always bad, and is common practice with other services.

Greenery
03-15-2008, 02:45 PM
We run a tine rake attatched to the mowers on ALL spring clean ups regardless if they need to be cut or not. I dont think spring cleanups are about actually cutting the grass but rather bagging up all the debris, leaves, and thatch that the tine rake pulls up.

Weekes
03-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Im not looking to cut the grass, just use my bagger to get whatever i didnt get up

You are right here. It has nothing to do with needing a cut or not when you walk away from mowing/bagging a lawn in a clean up you and customer will love the look.

wski4fun
03-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Blow down the lawn first to get most of the stuff up if you run a rake or dethatch it first. If you don't then you will be filling up the bag every pass. Use the bag for a final cut.

greenleaf1
03-15-2008, 06:20 PM
We like to do an early mow w/ the bags at the highest setting after blowing and raking to get up and mulch all the debris and to give the yard a nice look.