PDA

View Full Version : Baseball/Softball Field Drying Agents

jmoore16135
03-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Just throwing this out there. What are some of the most interesting products you have seen used by a coach or parent as a drying agent on your fields?
The most recent one I came across this week was sawdust. Didn't work very well. (I had to reduce the picture size to make it fit on the thread, which is why it is fuzzy.)

Atlantic Lawn
03-15-2008, 08:55 PM
At home plate I've seen Kitty Litter as well as Oil Zorb both used. Both just happened to be in the trunks of cars after a rain shower. We turned down the green colored and scented fresh step kitty litter......you gotta' draw the line somewhere.

Trim Creations
03-16-2008, 04:43 PM
I have seen Diesel Fuel and a match.

Field General
03-16-2008, 05:25 PM
I saw a dad use five gallons of gasoline once. I tried to talk him out of it but he assured me it was going to dry out a large wet spot in the shortstop area.
When he started dumping the gas I gave him plenty of room to work,abouts500 feet. It made the prettiest black smoke....but didn't do a thing to the wet spot.

jmoore16135
03-17-2008, 01:38 AM
Was at one of my fields Sunday morning and found this. Bark chips from the playground (which was about 300+' away) in the batter box, used to fill in a hole that had water in it.

beaglegun
03-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Never use sawdust, mulch or any organic material to dry a field!!!!! It will break down and cause a nasty decaying mush over time!!! When it's dry it's dusty. Never use kitty litter or oil dry. It will break down and get sloppy also. Use finely ground calcined clay. We use Rapid Dry from Pro's Choise. Turface and Diamond Pro make similar products.

Bliss
03-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Sand from a playground....on a clay field...or they just dug out the mud...smart ones..:confused:
We use Turface Pro...great stuff but fairly costly.

Atlantic Lawn
03-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Beaglegun, the "theme" behind this thread was the "interesting" products we had seen on fields rather than the "correct" things we have seen on fields. Pro's Choice is great stuff and works well but rather dull compared to 5gals of gasoline or Green Fresh Step scented Kitty Litter !

beaglegun
03-19-2008, 09:56 PM
I've seen cardboard, newspaper and diesel fuel and gas burning 2 feet tall. I've seen a helicopter used once!

Denham Lawnboy
03-27-2008, 12:01 AM
We use stuff called Play Ball. Its like kitty litter but unscented and works wonders.

packey
03-28-2008, 06:19 PM
squeege's and back pack blowers

Dave Maher
03-28-2008, 07:06 PM
There are a couple products that I know of. Turface is an infield clay amendment that is applied to the clay that helps with water problems. The other is a product that is made from gound corn cobs. It is very dusty but both work very well. Lesco should be able to get you the turface. I have to get the name of the other stuff. Used em both for years with great success. Good Luck

Field General
03-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Squeegees and push brooms are banned from any field I am associated with. If you bring one and leave it ....you will never see it again. Those are the worst tools you could possibly use. They only make the problem of puddling water worse. The puddle only gets bigger and deeper.

The proper way to deal with it is to pump the water and fill the hole with a prepared mix of infield mix and a drying agent.