PDA

View Full Version : 2 HP B&S hard starting

Robert Doubrava
11-19-2001, 07:44 PM
My grandfather's edger, which will soon be mine, has a 2 HP briggs that starts hard when cold. I have faced this problem for who knows how long. Before i start it, i check to make sure it's choking all the way, then i check the plug to see if it's clean, then i keep trying till it starts. eventually it will start to pop, then i move the trottle to the middle, and it starts. it's got good compression, plug is clean, it does not use a lot of oil or gas. If anyone has any tips, please tell me.(i need a repair manual!)

justractors
11-19-2001, 09:46 PM
Robert,
I would start with a full blown tune-up including removing the head and decarbonizing it and the valves.
Then while the head is off pull the valve cover and check the valve clearance and adjust if necessary.
Move onto replacing the points and condensor and then adjusting the point gap to get the timing correct. While the starter clutch is off service it also. Also lube the recoil pulley and spring at this point. Check the rope for frays as well.
Reasssemble the engine insuring the cooling fins and blower housing are all cleaned up.
Last step is to clean the air filter then adjust the carb after the engine has started and warmed up. Once the engine is warmed up change the engine oil to complete the job.
Bill

Robert Doubrava
11-19-2001, 10:13 PM
I have not done all of those things but i have done some. i've messed with the carb. and air cleaner. i have a ignition kit i bought for it, but have never had time to put it on. and i will have to wait a while before i can overhaul it in my spare time.:o

vipermanz
11-20-2001, 02:09 AM
4 or 2 cycle??

Richard Martin
11-20-2001, 10:05 AM
Robert,
you seem to have a lot of trouble with these BS engines. Why don't you just get the factory service manual?

Click here:
Briggs And Stratton Repair Manuals (http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BShopProductListingPage.asp?rsvp=0&CategoryID=216&PARENTID=0&MECID=100&CATALOGID=56B2B9B0-283C-11D4-8886-00B0D0203414&MSCSSID=)

Robert Doubrava
11-20-2001, 12:12 PM
it's a four cycle. recoil start. side valve gasoline engine. enough facts, guy?:D anyway, i can get one at the local repair shop or a hardware store. very cheep.

sdwally
11-21-2001, 09:07 AM
Chilton's has a repair book that covers most small engines from 1.5 hp to 20 hp. It's covers all the basics and other more major repairs. It is a good reference book for many different brands of motors and is much cheaper than buying many different OEM service manuals. It is not as good as OEM manuals, but will be a good book to buy to help you in your endevors.

justractors
11-21-2001, 02:51 PM
Robert,
Many small engine repair shops sell the same one Richard gave you the web site address for.
They sell it for $13.95 at the web site.
I sold them for $15.00 at my shop.
Another possible solution would be to check at the local library since they carry many repair manuals there.
And by the way a through by the book tune-up is not the same as an overhaul.
Bill

osc
11-21-2001, 07:57 PM
Chilton's suck pond scum. They leave out way too many important details.

Robert Doubrava
11-22-2001, 09:43 PM
Guess, what? I had the chance to work on it today and all it neede was a simple carb. adjustment to get it goin'!!! ;)

vipermanz
11-23-2001, 04:18 AM
i am going to say it needed to be adjusted out some

Robert Doubrava
11-23-2001, 12:19 PM
yep. that engine is over 30 years old and it's been through some rough times. i had thought that it needed to be adjusted because it was running very badly.

vipermanz
11-23-2001, 05:41 PM
30? dang, and it's still running (better now);)

Robert Doubrava
11-23-2001, 05:42 PM
Oh yeah. Them B&S engines keep runnin' strong all the time, with a few carb adjustments, that is!!!:D

Robert Doubrava
11-25-2001, 10:14 AM
My grandfather's beloved Toro push mower is gonnd bite the dust. That thing is knockin' bad. And talk about smoke, that engine is turning into a mosquito fogger!!It's a 3.5 B&S with a vertical pull starter. Here is a picture of one close to it. only his does not have PTO.
www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=110988

justractors
11-25-2001, 10:23 AM
Robert,
Seems like an ace B&S Mechanic like your self could just overhaul that old engine and get her running like a top again.
Bill

Robert Doubrava
11-25-2001, 10:26 AM
It's not worth it. The whole mower is falling apart, and he still has that edger and rider just waiting to be cranked up. And the self-propelled drive on it is shot, and If I do end up fixin' it, I'll just buy a new engine!!:blob3: :blob3: But I could possibly overhaul it sometime.

vipermanz
11-26-2001, 01:21 AM
maybe he should get a lawnboy;) (you)

Robert Doubrava
11-26-2001, 12:31 PM
Naw. I don't think so. My cousin has a Lawnboy, and he said it's been nothing but trouble to him. He said that it is not worth it.

justractors
11-26-2001, 01:40 PM
Robert,
You continue to suprise me with your abilities.
When I first came on this site you were just a 14 year old youngster and in the couple of months I have been here you have became not only a B&S Engine Mechanic but now the owner of Robert's Lawn Mowing Service.
Pretty soon I guess George and Dick will be turning over their duties to you.
My hats off to you, you are rapidly becoming a legend in your own mind.
Good luck in the future and if my daughters weren't too old for you I would try to hook one of them up with you.
Bill

vipermanz
11-26-2001, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by vipermanz
maybe he should get a lawnboy;) (you)

i meant YOU could be his lawnboy!!! ;) ;) :)

Robert Doubrava
12-01-2001, 12:30 AM
Ok. Now I gotcha!! Wasn't thinkin'!!:confused: :D

Robert Doubrava
12-06-2001, 12:26 PM
I just recieved a message. Some of his power equipment is now mine. Including the "antique" edger!!:D

vipermanz
12-06-2001, 06:41 PM
did something "bad" happen?

Robert Doubrava
12-06-2001, 07:56 PM
No. Nothing "bad" happened. My mother told me that i'm the only one interested in his stuff, so i'm gonna get it all.

Robert Doubrava
12-12-2001, 05:13 PM
I am dissappointed. I was edging, and , to my dismay, a linkage rod on the carb. came off. It startled me. It started to pop and fire came out of the muffler! So, I took the air cleaner housing off, and a tab that held the linkage to the carb. broke. And I can not replace just that piece. I'm gonna have to find a new carb for it. When we have time, we are going to bring it home with us, that's what we did with my junky rider. And sometime we are going to have to fix it. Now I can't use it till we fix it!!:(

vipermanz
12-13-2001, 01:40 AM
i don't see how if a link. rod came off, how fire came out of the muffler, it would seem to me if it came off, of the butterfly or some thing it might have choked out:confused:

justractors
12-13-2001, 09:00 AM
Robert and vipermanz,
I realize that you two are just talking to build up your post totals and no one seems to mind but I continue to get email everytime you twoo post here.
I really joined this forum to learn and share my knowledge not to listento this.
Why not just share emails.
Bill
BTW if this upsets any of the administrators or moderators then please feel free to remove me.
I am begining to believe you also are more interested in big numbers than quality.

Robert Doubrava
12-13-2001, 12:24 PM
Well, if that's how you feel, I'll stop, then.

vipermanz
12-14-2001, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by justractors
Robert and vipermanz,
I realize that you two are just talking to build up your post totals and no one seems to mind but I continue to get email everytime you twoo post here.
I really joined this forum to learn and share my knowledge not to listento this.
Why not just share emails.
Bill
BTW if this upsets any of the administrators or moderators then please feel free to remove me.
I am begining to believe you also are more interested in big numbers than quality.

ahh i actually post useful things here too:(

why make such a harsh assumption bill, i don't post for fun all the time, alot of them are in the mechanic's board anyhow, Also, if you wish to quit receiving email notifications , you can change that option in your profile:) Just tryin' to to help, sorry if i offended ya!:)

Robert Doubrava
12-14-2001, 12:14 PM
Well said, vipermanz. And yes, I'm not trying to build up posting totals, either. Why on earth would I do that? Lets not start a fight, either. Sorry about that, Bill. I apoligize for all the emails that get sent.

12-14-2001, 05:40 PM
Hi guys, Bill has a valid point: Some of the posts in this thread that you've both made would have been better left to an exchange of E-mails or Private Messages between yourselves.

Not ALL of them, just SOME.

With regard to E-mail notification, yes you can switch the feature on or off but many people (myself included) prefer it to be "on" to help keep track of threads they've posted to. Getting an E-mail notification of a reply and going to check it, only to find it's a couple of "chat" posts, gets frustrating after a while.

BTW, this IS the "Mechanic & Repair" forum - off-topic posts have their own forum set aside for that purpose! :)

Robert Doubrava
12-14-2001, 07:16 PM
Rob,

Ok. Sorry about those few "Chatting" posts. I'll stop doing that.

Robert Doubrava
01-07-2002, 12:27 AM
Well, I figured something out. On that junky edger, the butterfly part of the carb had a piece of it that broke off that held the governer linkage of it on. I can turn it all the way counter clockwise, and I can pull the whole thing out. Can I still get the whole thing (since the engine was made in 1969) from my local dealership? Someone, help!!:(

vipermanz
01-07-2002, 03:36 AM
do you have the vital #'s?

Robert Doubrava
01-07-2002, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure if I have the model, type and code of it. I'll have to get it. Those numbers are very helpful!!