PDA

View Full Version : big mowers

mattlmow
03-15-2008, 10:43 PM
i am 13, mow my neighbor's lawn, and plan to expand. My questions(1 of many more to come): Do i need a "big" mower, like a Scag, to look professional? Should i stay with just my 21" Honda, a Toro trimmer, and a blower?

lsu03
03-15-2008, 10:46 PM
they all do the same job, as long as you use them right....

capnsac
03-15-2008, 11:05 PM
this is a joke right? i'm waiting for the punchline though, or did i miss it??

Sorry for being a smartass, so let me try and put it in your perspective. When I was young I too had high hopes of having a great big successful lawn care company, although I never had the resources to start my own company. Which was a blessing in disguise. I now know it wasn't feasible to goto school (which is a must at your age) and be successful at anything else. Live the wonderful and glorious years as a teenager, then worry about all that grown-up garbage later. Life is a lot like a marathon, if you sprint you'll never finish the race, just pace yourself and you'll get there a lot faster then not.

Johnson LCO
03-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Not to put you down or anything, but even if you had a brand new grasshopper 928d and a brand new F350 and whatever else you can think of, not many people will take you seriously at your age. Ask people on here who are 18 to early twenties and they have trouble being taken seriously sometimes. I would stick with the 21 because someone might see you with a huge mower and be scared off because of the potential damage that you can inflict on yourself and their property.

Obviously your not licensed and insured. (There, I beat everyone else to it, I would of bet my truck the next post was about license/insurance)

capnsac
03-15-2008, 11:09 PM
nope, I win johnson, well half win at least, so I'll just take your trailer instead...please...

DLAWNS
03-15-2008, 11:36 PM
My advice is stick with the equipment that you have. Keep plugging away and working hard. Don't get too sidetracked with lawns that you don't do well in school. Just do the amount of lawns that you can handle and that you are comfortable with. Don't let people take advantage of you and don't let people on this site tell you that you shouldn't be cutting grass. It's a good way to make some money and teach you how to deal with people as well as learning a trade. Just be careful out there. Good luck.

Runner
03-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Matt, Keep doing what you're doing. If it's working keep using it. you will eventually grow and need a bigger mower out of necessity,...not for what it looks like. If it was all based on "how it looks", then I'd be just cruisin' around town everyday with a couple of giant John Deeres on a trailer pulled by a big fascious dump truck. As it is, I only use this outfit on Saturdays, to compensate for other areas in my life that are rather "inadequate".

RGM
03-16-2008, 12:38 AM
i am 13, mow my neighbor's lawn, and plan to expand. My questions(1 of many more to come): Do i need a "big" mower, like a Scag, to look professional? Should i stay with just my 21" Honda, a Toro trimmer, and a blower?

I cut grass when I was kid also I used my fathers old mower. My second season I bought a used tractor and a cart out of the paper and towed my mower around with it. Glad my dad new how to work on mowers back then.

stevepk
03-16-2008, 09:14 AM
I agree school and summer fun. Side job are fine for spending money.

Jay Ray
03-16-2008, 03:52 PM
See thread below: "For all you teenage mowers" by born2farm

kjk05006
04-01-2008, 12:59 AM
I started cutting grass when I was 10 years old. I started like you, with a Honda push, an electric trimmer, and an electric blower. I cut my neighbors yard and gradually got other neighbors. I saved my money for a tractor and was able to get more yards. Eventually, two tractors later, because I got so many yards, they could no long keep up so I bought a used scag. I am now 19 going on 20 in a month and I have 27-30 lawns I take care of.

I dissagree with what some of the people said about enjoying yourself. I have the best job out of my group of friends. I work during the day, make a decent amount of money (way more than the minimum wage my friends are making) and have the nights free. I would say if you can, stick with it.

I would also recommend getting a tractor before the scag - a used tractor in good condition out of the paper should be ok if you can't afford a new one. The tractor will be much cheaper than a scag and you don't really need a scag if you only have a few yards. Use the tractor to get more yards and save money. Once the tractor starts to go start looking for a used skag. Just work your way up.

In terms of people taking you serious - try to stay close proximity to your house. Make sure to just be polite and do a good job. If you keep your current customers happy, they are bound to talk and you will get noticed. If the yards look good and the customers are happy, I don't see why they would care how old you are. It was never a problem with me.

Good luck!

davink
04-01-2008, 01:12 AM
I
I dissagree with what some of the people said about enjoying yourself. I have the best job out of my group of friends. I work during the day, make a decent amount of money (way more than the minimum wage my friends are making) and have the nights free. I would say if you can, stick with it.

Good luck!

You know, I used to think the same thing, It was cool that I could afford things that my broke friends never could. The difference was they were broke because they were going to school and not working much. It was this way for a while through my later years of high school and after. Now they all have college degrees and are making three times what I make in a year and they spend Holidays in "the islands" trust me, work less and get educated..:hammerhead:

kjk05006
04-01-2008, 01:24 AM
You know, I used to think the same thing, It was cool that I could afford things that my broke friends never could. The difference was they were broke because they were going to school and not working much. It was this way for a while through my later years of high school and after. Now they all have college degrees and are making three times what I make in a year and they spend Holidays in "the islands" trust me, work less and get educated..:hammerhead:

Being in New England, I was cutting grass mostly during the summer. Only at the very beginnings and ends of the seasons did I have to cut after school. I was able to keep my grades up (I was valedictorian) and now I am in college studying Molecular Cell Biology. My business is still up and running. All it takes is hard work and dedication and you can keep both things going. My lawn mowing business is great for me at the moment and I couldn't be happier that I did this all through my childhood.

lsu03
04-01-2008, 08:21 AM
wow. that must be hard work kjk05006.

KGR landscapeing
04-01-2008, 09:39 AM
wow. that must be hard work kjk05006.

whats he care hes got brains either way hes going somewhere. When it all comes down to it. your selling your self your image your work. So tuck your shirt in say thank you laugh and joke alittle with your customers. Do your work when you say you will and do it right. I dont think you need a name brand mower to be good at what you do. people only see the final product enless your mower is falling apart all over there yard then i could see an issue.