PDA

View Full Version : Worth it or no?

JMiller08
03-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi i am 17 years old i have just purchased a 48 in lesco walk behind belt drive mower. Mower does need a little tlc but i only paid 150 dollars for it. i figure if i put about 250 into it i should have a nice mower. Im doing this in hopes of starting a lawn care business this summer. Any suggestions? Thoughts? Good buy? Thanks guys tell me what you think.

capnsac
03-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Let me ask you a couple questions before we delve too deep.

Do you have a truck? Do you have a trailer? Do you have insurance for your truck, your trailer, and if a rock accidentally flies out of your 48 in lesco walk behind and hits someone in the head unfortunately killing them?

JMiller08
03-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Yes i have a nissan pickup that is insured. Im working on getting a trailer as we speak. And that to will be insured along with getting a business isurance policy also.

capnsac
03-15-2008, 10:18 PM
k good. Patience is key here. You will want to start small with residentials, save every penny you can, and then reinvest that back into your company. Then when you pick up a zero turn mower 3-4 years down the road then pursue some commercial contracts. If by chance commercial accounts come quicker then this, more power to you. Be sure you are stretching yourself too thing.
Don't rely on this as your only source of income. Get a second job and work that on days that you don't have accounts to do. Save, save, save, reinvest, then save some more. Best of luck to you.

JMiller08
03-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am currently a senior in highschool and work in a local restaurant as a cook at night. I figure once summer hits i can cut lawns in the day and work at the restaurant at night until the lawn business takes off in full force.