PDA

View Full Version : Did i do ok on these or did i cheat myself ?

bigw
03-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Ok the other day i put a bid on a place for a guy that called me and asked me to give him a price to mow his little store and an apartment right next door which shares the same piece of lawn and to also go to his house and give him a price on that too.
The store lawn is right under 2 acres all of which is totally flat land { no tress } very little trimming. His house has 4.2 acres of mowable lawn but it to is completly flat no obstacles or trees out front which is over 3 of those acres.

The back is like 1 acre with like 2-3 little trees and thats it. Their is like no trimming here also so this is something i can basically jump on the exmark lazer z and just go all out {to a point}not going to be pulling a speed racer lol. Both of these lawns are a dream to mow and here is what i bid on them.. the store i bid $85.00 and the home i bid $135.00 with the hopes that id get both of them.

They are both within 3-5 minutes of my house. I figured by the time i load and unload my trailer and drive to 3 45$ lawns to make that same money i am much better doing these 4 acres and only having to drive to one place and load and unload only once. Besides their is some knuckle head going around my town handing out flyers to do 2 acres for 50$ so if i wanted this i had to be somewhat competive with the big lco guys. So did i do ok or did i cheat myself? By the way he called today and i got both jobs so i was glad, i also got another 1/2 acre lawn for $55.00 today so over all it was a great day!

bigw
03-15-2008, 11:35 PM
can a white boy get an opinion? :weightlifter:

wski4fun
03-15-2008, 11:47 PM
If you can do these three lawns in under 6 hrs in the spring then I think you are doing alright. You should try for 50-60 an hr by yourself. If you are not close to that then I think you are doing yourself a diservice. It's up to you if you want to make less and that is your choice. You may have to be a little low for the first year but don't make that a business plan. You will find out soon enough if your price and quality are in line. From your other posts you seem to be a smart guy and will figure things out quickly and be succesful. Good luck.

bigw
03-15-2008, 11:50 PM
If you can do these three lawns in under 6 hrs in the spring then I think you are doing alright. You should try for 50-60 an hr by yourself. If you are not close to that then I think you are doing yourself a diservice. It's up to you if you want to make less and that is your choice. You may have to be a little low for the first year but don't make that a business plan. You will find out soon enough if your price and quality are in line. From your other posts you seem to be a smart guy and will figure things out quickly and be succesful. Good luck.

So your saying i was to low?? I think i can do the 4 acres in about 3 - 3 1/2 hrs with my 60" 30 hp lazer dont you agree,i mean its all open mowing. ILL try to post a pic of it.

bigw
03-15-2008, 11:54 PM
here is the lawn

bigw
03-15-2008, 11:56 PM
now before everyone goes killing me over the pic,its simply to give you an idea of the property. It really is as flat as it looks. So please dont go kicking me in the nads just answer if you think i cheated myself or not? Thanks!

kubotab7200
03-16-2008, 12:01 AM
I Think Youre Doin Ok, How Long Does It Take U To Mow It

topsites
03-16-2008, 12:05 AM
I think you're allowing external factors to influence your bids, and in this process you'll eventually cheat yourself some kind of way.
Whether on this one or future jobs, you should bid based on what it costs.
In the end you want to charge everyone the same, so watch out for giving discounts is what I'm getting at.
Although while you're still getting your prices in order all in all it's not too bad, you'll be fine but I wouldn't go any lower.

And to answer the question, yes and no.
For a first year I don't think so and I already said it's not bad, but in later years the answer could be yes.
Which, those are probably your suspicions, but you're not outright losing money either.
So don't worry about it too much, it's a bit tight but you'll be fine with those bids.

bigw
03-16-2008, 12:06 AM
I Think Youre Doin Ok, How Long Does It Take U To Mow It

havent done it yet?

bigw
03-16-2008, 12:11 AM
I think you're allowing external factors to influence your bids, and in this process you'll eventually cheat yourself some kind of way, whether on this one or future jobs.

Like what external factors are you talking about? I already bid and got the job i simply wanted to know if you guys thought i should have bid higher on this? I know some bigger companies around here that would send in 5 guys and 3 ztr's and kick this out in an hr or so and charge like a 100 bucks so i didnt think i could bid much higher and get away with it. So would you have taken this for 135.00 Topsites?

wski4fun
03-16-2008, 12:16 AM
How much do you need to make in a day? If you need to fill in a half a day and make 135 or do nothing then that 135 looks pretty good. If you can live on 270 a day than you are doing well. Remember that you are using a lot of gas with 3 straight hrs of mowing. With the lawns I do I might put 3hrs on the mower all day. Thats a lot of wear on a very expensive mower. Then again if this is your first year then this gives you some cash and a place to go from. You will get to a point where you can start charging more and not getting all the jobs becuase people want it cheaper and thats ok. If you have all new equipment it is easy to forget about replacement costs. It can make or break you in years 3-5. Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Weekes
03-16-2008, 12:22 AM
I think what topsites is saying is that you did OK. Are you gonna make money on it yes. Is it a bid you will give in a year or two, probably not. Simple put, at solo rates you have not lost money; but with that same amount of time you could get a better lawn or more lawns and make more money. BUT YOU ARE DOING GREAT for a guy in his first year. You will get pickier as time goes on and be getting lawns that produce more money and take less time.

Would I have done it for that amount, no but I also have a full schedule. If I had a Z my first year I might have bid around that --- maybe a bit higher. But again my first year I was only part time so I had a full income and I was just building my business.

bigw
03-16-2008, 12:27 AM
I think what topsites is saying is that you did OK. Are you gonna make money on it yes. Is it a bid you will give in a year or two, probably not. Simple put, at solo rates you have not lost money; but with that same amount of time you could get a better lawn or more lawns and make more money. BUT YOU ARE DOING GREAT for a guy in his first year. You will get pickier as time goes on and be getting lawns that produce more money and take less time.

Would I have done it for that amount, no but I also have a full schedule. If I had a Z my first year I might have bid around that --- maybe a bit higher. But again my first year I was only part time so I had a full income and I was just building my business.

I understand and thanks for the opinions to both you and topsites .... i guess my ratinale behind bidding 135 was i could go their and just sit and mow and only have to drop the trailer once vs going to 3- 45$ lawns at 3 different locations with gas and all the loading and unloading i thought this was pretty reasonable. Besides if i would have bid much higher i wouldnt have gotten either place because around here bigger companies do these lawns for like 25-30 an acre. Thanks guys!!!

topsites
03-16-2008, 12:34 AM
I already bid and got the job i simply wanted to know if you guys thought i should have bid higher on this?

Well, no.
You asked for an opinion, I am telling you how I see things.
We all have to start somewhere, and I don't think you would've got the job bidding much higher.

I probably would not have either, but I don't care because it's not my problem.
Even if it was my bid, it's still not my problem (this took time).

I know some bigger companies around here that would send in 5 guys and 3 ztr's and kick this out in an hr or so and charge like a 100 bucks

That is an external factor, this affects your bid.
I am only pointing this out for your information, not to put you down, it is so you can see what is going on inside of your mind.

Probably one of the hardest tricks I had to learn (and I don't have it down but so good) is to watch out for what our own minds tend to do to us, to be able to step aside of oneself and see the thought process and to catch this little 'foot stabbing' we tend to do to ourselves.

It is normal, and once we do step up to the plate 'no' becomes an acceptable answer, so in first years I almost think it unwise to do so...
Again this is just FYI crap.

so i didnt think i could bid much higher and get away with it. So would you have taken this for 135.00 Topsites?

No, you probably would not have gotten it.
But I would've bid 90-100 for the 2 acres and 175-190 for the 4.2 but I also got just past 4,000 lawns under me...
Time, practice, experience, it makes a difference.

Whether the customer sees or knows this or not, I'm far beyond explaining it, here's my bid, yes or no.
So there's no telling, the customer can very well say No to my bid and take yours instead, I have to accept that and today I can.
Matter of fact, my prices, 90% chance they say no.

So in time this information might be helpful, only reason I posted.

Weekes
03-16-2008, 12:41 AM
You are right about the big guys bidding so little per acre. This is why I stay away from acre stuff. So far I have nothing over an acre to cut. BUT I do have a number of properties that pay between $100 - $175, one at $200, and one at $300. Like I said none are more than an acre. The $300 does have a good bit of trimming but nothing that cant be done in an hour or so.

You will get to were you can be very selective on your properties. Until then like I said earlier you are doing better than most in your first year.

bigw
03-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Well, no.
You asked for an opinion, I am telling you how I see things.
We all have to start somewhere, and I don't think you would've got the job bidding much higher.

I probably would not have either, but I don't care because it's not my problem.
Even if it was my bid, it's still not my problem (this took time).

That is an external factor, this affects your bid.
I am only pointing this out for your information, not to put you down, it is so you can see what is going on inside of your mind.

Probably one of the hardest tricks I had to learn (and I don't have it down but so good) is to watch out for what our own minds tend to do to us, to be able to step aside of oneself and see the thought process and to catch this little 'foot stabbing' we tend to do to ourselves.

It is normal, and once we do step up to the plate 'no' becomes an acceptable answer, so in first years I almost think it unwise to do so...
Again this is just FYI crap.

No, you probably would not have gotten it.
But I would've bid 90-100 for the 2 acres and 175-190 for the 4.2 but I also got just past 4,000 lawns under me...
Time, practice, experience, it makes a difference.

Whether the customer sees or knows this or not, I'm far beyond explaining it, here's my bid, yes or no.
So there's no telling, the customer can very well say No to my bid and take yours instead, I have to accept that and today I can.
Matter of fact, my prices, 90% chance they say no.

So in time this information might be helpful, only reason I posted.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this for me and hopefully someday after mowing 4000 lawns ill be able to be like you and only take the cream of the crop!

Carolina Cuts
03-16-2008, 08:53 PM
and to catch this little 'foot stabbing' we tend to do to ourselves.

I do this to myself all the time.... then I kick myself in the @ss for doing it.

akvadam
03-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Hey Big W:

Hey dont know if this helps you out much but the way i looked at it when i started out was that i may be charging a bit less then I liked but at the same time I was busy and was geting my name out there. I mean at least your out working and not sitting at home... higher prices come as a result of demand for you... Im a big fan of yours and have no doubt you will go far... Really like your name "Vintage" and your logo etc... keep up the good work and keep posting pics and ideas....

Adam

Oldmarine
03-21-2008, 07:16 PM
I would get a pull behind unit and off set it to the side. Turn your 60 into a 120 actually a 110 because you want to overlap a bit I would think. But I'm just a newbie too.