PDA

View Full Version : How many hrs a week just to run the business?

EliteImpressions
03-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Just curious how many hrs people put in when there are just running the business. IE: no mowing, cleanups, aerations, etc. Just basically giving quotes and make sure employee are doing what they need to.

The reason I ask is because Im in position to own a few major franchises that will make me extremely financially fit within the next 5 yrs and probably be able to retire by age 40-45. The down side is a lot more headaches, more stress, etc.

Im not sure if thats what I really want to do though. So right now Im just trying to get about 5-10 accounts this year to handle myself and then hopefully have 1 or 2 guys run everything the next few years with 50+ accounts. Not looking to make tons of money after paying the employees and expenses, but if I decide that the francise isnt worth it, I would like to start working hands on with the mowing to make a decent living.

capnsac
03-16-2008, 02:20 AM
You get out of it what you put into it is a motto I live by.

racer56
03-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Our printing business takes around 25 hours and lawn around 60 or so. We are more involved with the lawn business. Printing takes less than half the time but brings 5 times the money. Seems pointless,lol.

capnsac
03-16-2008, 02:53 AM
ching chang walla walla bing bang

tyler_mott85
03-16-2008, 12:57 PM
The bad thing about this industry is that in most places, its seasonal. You have to make enough money in the 9 months of mowing (kansas, anyway) to provide your family for a whole 12 months. So naturally, if a typical full time job takes 40 hours, you'll need around 53.33 hours a week to make that whole year's income. And that's just the labor part! You also have all that billing, bidding, accounting, and selling. Id' expect around 65 to 75 hours...

Military Lawns
03-16-2008, 02:22 PM
I am part-time and currently servicing 20 accounts.

Breakdown:

Servicing 25 hrs a week
Weekend: 8-10 hrs
Administration 2-3 hrs a week

I use a helper when I get behind or pick up clean-ups, weeding or tree trimming. Times very because some of my accounts bi-weekly and plus, I do a lot of onsies twosies for my Realtor. That is where the money is for me right now. Anyhow, I am not taking on any new work because I do have a full-time job. Should I decide to go full-time as an LCO, then the gloves will come off.

DJ-

EliteImpressions
03-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Is there anyone that has 150+ accounts that doesnt step a foot out of their house? Where you have someone running everything and making sure the crew is doing what they need to do. Basically everything except billing and estimates.