PDA

View Full Version : Lumens

Pro-Scapes
03-16-2008, 12:20 AM
We removed some line voltage fixtures from a home yesterday and installed Unique Orion 12's. I planned to run par 20 lamps in the orions to compliment my FMW uplighting on 2 areas between the line voltage fixtures.

does anyone have a better lamp recomendation not only for longer life but to mimic closely the FMW output shining up ? On the down ones I will probably use a 40w standard bulb. These are upb dimmable seperate from my low voltage system so I can adjust in upstart as needed.

I seem to be having trouble finding the lumen rating for the ushio and sylvania titans.

Mike M
03-16-2008, 12:41 AM
That post was pretty hard to visualize for me. All I know is PAR20's suck, but you already know this. Got any pics, Billy?

What I really want to know is whether there is a reliable 20 w PAR 36 out there.

Have you tried the frosted lense? Unique always gives those with fixtures, and I noticed I lose a lot of lumens with them.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Mike: why would you assert that PAR20 lamps "suck"? I have been installing Sylvania Capsylite PAR20, 35W, WFL, NFL and SP lamps into carriage lights, coach lights, post top lights and wall sconces for years. They are especially long lasting if you use the 130V versions. I have never had an issue with the Sylvania PAR20 lamp. Now if you mean those PAR20s that come from China, and you pick them up in a sleeve of 6 for $7.50 at the hardware store or Walmart.... (here they are branded "Globe") then yes they do pretty much rot.

Billy: You will have a pretty hard time matching the photometrics of an FMW to a PAR20 lamp. Main reason being the relatively limited variety of PAR20 lamps on the market. Sylvania have a full range. I am thinking that the 35PAR20/HAL/NFL30 120V will most closely mimick the FMW but while you are at the counter pick up a 50PAR20/HAL/NFL30 120V as well

Regards.

Pro-Scapes
03-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks I am going to pick up about 10 diff lamps today and play with it monday night. There is 4 pillars 1 story tall then a balcony above that. We yanked the coach lights off the 2 outside pillars and core drilled some novas in for the center ones.

I dont have a pic of the 4 pillars for some reason but here is one of the coach lights i removed in favor of the orion 12's Yes the solar lights are now gone and his bushes have been trimmed

Thanks for the info James I will see if I can find the sylvania ones. I always get GE ones for our house. Not sure if there is a better choice out there ? The upper lens is frosted or clear (swappable) but no lens on the lower. One lamp fires up and one down.I may have to see if I can get another frosted one and some brass screws for the down one.

Mike M
03-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Sorry, James, I meant the use of a 20 watt lamp version of a 12v par36. There had been a lot of trouble with those.

JoeyD
03-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Sorry, James, I meant the use of a 20 watt lamp version of a 12v par36. There had been a lot of trouble with those.

There has been no reported troubles from any of our users of the GE Par36 20w halogen. There are tremendous amounts of people claiming the 25w version is failing at an alarming rate.

Pro-Scapes
03-16-2008, 09:55 PM
today I found some edison 35w mr bulbs that are 120v and look promising. since I can dim these 2 line voltage lights independantly it shouldnt be a problem if they are a bit hot. I also got the par 20 lamps on standby

I think Mike is failing to realize I need a line voltage lamp to compliment my low voltage lamp. I will have 2 low voltage fixtures in center with an orion 12 on each end running at line voltage

NightScenes
03-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Billy, I have used R20s in orions and they work very well.

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-17-2008, 01:57 PM
skip the 20 watt par16/mr16s billy. stick with what james told you. trust me. sylvania par20s or phillips par16 in 45 watt. sylvania just disc the 130 volt versions but it wont matter as you are dimming, be sure to dim over 40% even if you have to over wattge, will just warm it all up!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Paul... you say sylvania just discontinued the 130V PAR20's ?? What the ??? These were the most popular ones around here. Nice soft glow and the lamp life was forever.

Did you get this from a distributor or from the factory?

NightScenes
03-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Paul... you say sylvania just discontinued the 130V PAR20's ?? What the ??? These were the most popular ones around here. Nice soft glow and the lamp life was forever.

Did you get this from a distributor or from the factory?

James, it was Doug that said they are discontinuing the 130v r20s.

Pro-Scapes
03-17-2008, 11:41 PM
I got some r20 facing down and the mr16 type edisons facing up. Have not seen it at night yet. I have some par 20's from GE on hand just in case. I will swap out until I find the right light... all part of learning. Install is going really good so far but some of the fixtures to be installed are taking a very very long time especially the core drilled lights and the 2nd story sofit mounted downlights.

I gotta start charging more for these types of installs! I am loving these transformers too with UPB dimmers installed right inside. When you turn em on or off they dont snap on... they fade in softly. This has got to be wonderful for lamp life.

pete scalia
03-17-2008, 11:45 PM
I am loving these transformers too with UPB dimmers installed right inside. When you turn em on or off they dont snap on... they fade in softly. This has got to be wonderful for lamp life.

What transformers come with the UPB inside already?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Billy is talking about Mike Gambino's new transformer from 3able. On board it has a 'control bay' in which you can install things like a UPB switch etc. This is a really nice feature and not at all unlike the modular control bay of the Nightscaping Powercenter.

In the case of the Nightscaping transformers, you simply order a blank "power switch" cover for the modular control bay and then install a UPB control switch inside, wiring it up to control terminals 1, 2 and 4. A much better option then relying upon the UPB switched receptacles.

Have a great day.

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-18-2008, 12:15 PM
whats it matter paul, doug, whatever...yes i got it from 3-4 distributors and from the factory, they have some left in stock but I needed close to 1000 of them and they didnt have enough.

Billy, I'm telling you those E26 Mr16s arent going to last. You asked for advice and both James and I told you sylvania and I added the 45 watt PAR16s from Phillips.

Good luck though

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Hey Doug... I might be able to scrounge up a 1000 of those 130V PAR20s for you... from a couple of sources here. For a fee of course! how bad do you need them?

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-18-2008, 03:37 PM
that was weeks ago...I'm okay with the 120 volts as I use mostly the phillips line anyway.

thanks though.

Pro-Scapes
03-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Billy is talking about Mike Gambino's new transformer from 3able. On board it has a 'control bay' in which you can install things like a UPB switch etc. This is a really nice feature and not at all unlike the modular control bay of the Nightscaping Powercenter.

In the case of the Nightscaping transformers, you simply order a blank "power switch" cover for the modular control bay and then install a UPB control switch inside, wiring it up to control terminals 1, 2 and 4. A much better option then relying upon the UPB switched receptacles.

Have a great day.

Gee I never could of answered myself. Yes its the gambino trans and no pete they do not come with upb already inside.... would be a nice touch tho. I installed the dimmers here before I even left for the jobsite. Easier to do on a work bench than in the field. I took pics and will post them in a day or 2 when I unload the camera.