PDA

View Full Version : Best way to pass out flyers?

CrimsonLawnCare
03-16-2008, 12:06 AM
I just got 10,000 flyers to my house and i need to start passing them out, and i was just wondering what everyone else does? i thought about putting on the roller skates and skating around sticking them to mail boxes. Any suggestions?

green-pa
03-16-2008, 12:59 AM
I just got 10,000 flyers to my house and i need to start passing them out, and i was just wondering what everyone else does? i thought about putting on the roller skates and skating around sticking them to mail boxes. Any suggestions?

Not a bad Idea. I think walking is easier on your feet and more natural; that's if ur talking about rollar blades. But regular skates are easier on your feet yet require a little more effort. I often use a mountain bike for houses that are far apart. I've thought about renting a motor scooter, but then u may as well rent a car. I'd use my car but it needs some work and is making noises anyway and my truck, I'm not taking any chances with it as I'll need it for the REAL jobs.

I don't think it's legal to stick anything to the actual mail box. I usually just use the flyer box or newspaper box on the side.

racer56
03-16-2008, 01:49 AM
We have done this for years and here is what we do. We print the flyer on a half sheet on paper then fold it, put it is a zip lock bag with a business card then drive around and toss them out late at night as close as we can to the paper that got tossed out. We can do around 450 per hour this way. We also try to work with area cub scouts for a fund raiser. Older folks REALLY like this and like talking with the little guys. When we asked them if the wanted to pass them out we didn't tell them they didn't need to knock on the door and hand them to them,lol. This is expensive but I do think it has around a 10% hit rate or so if I remember right.

corey4671
03-16-2008, 03:15 AM
We have done this for years and here is what we do. We print the flyer on a half sheet on paper then fold it, put it is a zip lock bag with a business card then drive around and toss them out late at night as close as we can to the paper that got tossed out. We can do around 450 per hour this way. We also try to work with area cub scouts for a fund raiser. Older folks REALLY like this and like talking with the little guys. When we asked them if the wanted to pass them out we didn't tell them they didn't need to knock on the door and hand them to them,lol. This is expensive but I do think it has around a 10% hit rate or so if I remember right.

450 an hour? that like 8 per minute. must be a saturated neighborhood. and 10% return? in one hour you've picked up more accounts than I have all together! is there something else you're puttin in these baggies besides a flyer and business card?

green-pa
03-16-2008, 06:55 AM

Do u need a pebble or something in the bag so it doesn't blow away or?

Also, u got 10% call rate!!!!! Or is this the rate for knocking on doors?

What did your ad say? Or was it an ad AND biz card?

Enzo
03-16-2008, 09:04 AM
I go door to door handing out flyers. I open the storm door and put it there, then close the door on the flyer. If the door is locked I just tape it to the door. When I get new clients I always tell them about a referal program. Every client they sign up for me they get $10 off.

CrimsonLawnCare
03-16-2008, 09:36 AM
ok thanks, good suggestions i will have to try the newspaper one, never thought of that

IN2MOWN
03-16-2008, 10:01 AM

Watch out. They are trying to pass a law in Kansas now making that illegal. People are saying its littering.

Runner
03-16-2008, 02:09 PM
There is no way that I am going to waste flyers by littering up an area. People don't like trash thrown in their driveways.
as for yanking on storm doors to see if they are unlocked,...this has been discussed before...BAD POLICY. Don't let ME catch someone trying to open one of my doors....storm or not. Tape? Come on.....yeah,...people really appreciate that. :rolleyes:

Military Lawns
03-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Do them yourself, or hire some teenagers and supervise them along the way. Have some water and chips on stand-by and get busy!

DJ-

Ravenwood Landscaping
03-16-2008, 03:37 PM
I've leave at each house is one of three ways.

1. If they have a newspaper box, I'll leave a card there. It's faster to stay on the road and walk, than wlking up to each door. Many of the heighborhoods close to me have big brick boxes with box the mailbox and paperbox built in, so it's nice.

2. If they have a storm door, I leave a postcard in a doorhanger bag.

3. If there is only one door, I wedge the post card between the door and jamb. It stays in the wind but is easy enough to pull out that homeowners don't get mad.

I've only just started putting them out in force in the last 2 weeks, but I've gotten a handful of calls from about 1K cards out. I expect to get a little better response rate when the weather gets a little warmer and grass starts growing

DUSTYCEDAR
03-16-2008, 03:51 PM
door to door one at a time the slow way

racer56
03-17-2008, 10:17 PM
I really should get paid for this info but hey it helps the industry as a whole so... You need a rock or 2 in the bag to make it heavy so when you are driving by in your car you can toss them out the window as close to the paper as you can. That is how we get that many out that fast. NO walking at all. We get folks all the time that think the way we pass out the fliers is very clever. Until now to my knowledge we could pass out fliers faster than any company around. I'm sure someone around here will start to do this now,lol.
All we really put in the bag is flyer, card and rocks. We have put some pictures of work before is a very few select area as it was just too expensive to do much of that. We found really the best thing is just straight up black and white cheap paper(20lb. bond) half sheets. Everything else has just been less responce for some crazy reason. We have really tracked the use of color and what I say is a fact not a guess. The only thing I can think of is maybe the nice color prints make you look expensive to the folks looking for a new service provider and simply don't even call to see? Only thing I can think of. Anyway try it for yourself. Also pass them out on Saturday night. Best day by FAR! Again this is my thinking on this. The weekend is half over and about the only time alot of married couples talk is Sunday morning before church reading the Sunday paper. This is why we try to toss the flyer as close to the Sunday paper as possible. With our plan ( not trying to sell a thing) we can light a phone on fire. I try and tell all I know as it helps everyone. I will help answer any questions if I can on marketing. I really enjoy that part of the business.

Uranus
03-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Racer-where do you get your baggies from? Do you go to the local grocery store and buy 4000 zip lock bags? Are you using the larger bags or just the sandwich size? Wondering if your folding you half sheet of paper?

How many can you do an hour with one of these? http://www.segway.com/business/products-solutions/i2-cargo.php

farmerkev
03-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Im going to pass out about 300-400 to try picking up some summer jobs. I think I will roll up the fliers and put a rubber band around them. I have a friend who will walk around with me and help, this sound ok?

racer56
03-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Racer-where do you get your baggies from? Do you go to the local grocery store and buy 4000 zip lock bags? Are you using the larger bags or just the sandwich size? Wondering if your folding you half sheet of paper?

How many can you do an hour with one of these? http://www.segway.com/business/products-solutions/i2-cargo.php

Sandwhich size bags. 8 1/2x11 cut in half so paper size is then 5 1/2x8 1/2. We fold the flyer in half with the print side out card on the side with no print so something with a bit of something on it no matter which way it lands.
We just use the trucks or our van to pass them out as that we already have. Again the flyer deal is all a numbers game, plain and simple. If you take 2 hours each evening for the first month of your season you WILL make the phone ring off the hook. I've gotten 4 calls tonight off an area we did Saturday night just this evening. We can target our area better this way than phone books(biggest wate of money on Earth) for anything other than a free listing. Mostly bottom feeding price shoppers and you can't control your route very well this way.