PDA

View Full Version : McAfee question

Valk
03-16-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm too often getting a red lettered w/ white background "McAfee" image where there should be an avatar, or a posted picture, etc... I see most avatars and most pictures...but not all of them.

Is there a setting w/in McAfee that I can change to fix this?

Jason Rose
03-16-2008, 01:36 PM
It's probably a setting in your McAfee program itself. It's likely recoginizing certian file names used for pictures/avatars as being some sort of virus file. Somehow files like .gif, .jpg, or other common picture files probably was accidently added to the "virus" list on your program.

When your subscription for it runs out, don't renew. Download AVG Free Edition. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 Most computer places install this on computers they fix. A friend of mine recommneded it to me, and he has worked for several different computer tech places, including directly for microsoft. I've been running it for 5 or 6 months now and have had no problems at all.
Also dosn't hurt to download spybot search and destroy (another free program) to work in conjunction with whatever antivirus proram you have.

americanlawn
03-16-2008, 05:08 PM
It's probably a setting in your McAfee program itself. It's likely recoginizing certian file names used for pictures/avatars as being some sort of virus file. Somehow files like .gif, .jpg, or other common picture files probably was accidently added to the "virus" list on your program.

When your subscription for it runs out, don't renew. Download AVG Free Edition. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 Most computer places install this on computers they fix. A friend of mine recommneded it to me, and he has worked for several different computer tech places, including directly for microsoft. I've been running it for 5 or 6 months now and have had no problems at all.
Also dosn't hurt to download spybot search and destroy (another free program) to work in conjunction with whatever antivirus proram you have.

Great advice. Been using McAfee for years, but my "local experts" highly recommend AVG instead. Thanks for the fine advice. Also thanks for spydot advice -- didn't know that one:waving:.

Valk
03-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks for that info Jason...& due to my LACK of computer savvy, I'll get my gal on it right away! :D