PDA

View Full Version : dump trailer

cutbetterthanyou
03-16-2008, 07:16 PM
What is the biggest dump trailer that you can tow legal with a 1 ton truck ? How much weigh can u haul with it?

newtostone
03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
drw or srw? i have done abuout 10k gross with my srw. and was in no rush to go anywhere.

cutbetterthanyou
03-16-2008, 07:37 PM
I know i should know this but what is "drw or srw"

newtostone
03-16-2008, 07:57 PM
srw is single rear wheel. and drw is dual rear wheel. and dont worry about it, its just some lingo picked up at diesel stop. but the duals will give you a much more secure feeling while towing any weight, as well as increase the amount that can be towed.....safely.

also you asked whats the biggest. i would say average is a 12'. i think its just going to depend on what type of materials you plan on towing, and if you have a dual i think youll be safe with a 14' 12k or 14k gross. when your towing it loaded you need to keep you eye on it and safety at all times. a loaded 14k trailer is heavy.....even if the truck pulls with no problems stopping as well as controlling it becomes the issue. (not saying your a careless driver. just dont like seeing people flying down the road with loaded dump trailers of soil saying "cant tell its back there, in my eyes thats when people become careless"

cutbetterthanyou
03-16-2008, 08:30 PM
I have a dmax srw,86 1ton dump drw,90 drw utility body. The reason i was wondering is i saw some on ebay that can haul 21k(10.5 tons) i estimate 2 ton (4k pounds) is the trailer weight so they will haul 8.5ton (17k pounds) they are single wheel triple axle, and dual wheel dual axles. I know that you can only haul up to 26k without cdl's, but i wasn't sure about the combined weigh, if it was more. I was thinking instead of buying a old dump truck to haul stone and dirt in i could buy a new dump trailer ,with brakes on all axles, and a tailgate to gate spread, and use the truck i have. Do you think this idea is way out there? If so what do they use to pull these trailers?

PerfectEarth
03-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Remember, it's not about HAULING 26k for CDL, it's total combined GVWR. In other words, add up the manufacture's GVWR written on your truck and trailer and if it is over 26k (provided the trailer itself is over 10,000) you need a CDL.

For example, my F-550 can tow 18,000. But it's curb weight is 10,300. So I can only really pull 15,700 behind it. (I'm plated for 26,000 here in KY, and the book combo on the truck is 26,000). I have a 12,000# dump trailer that I can put 8,440 in.... then I can legally put the rest of the weight (which is not much) in the dump bed of the truck.

newtostone
03-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Remember, it's not about HAULING 26k for CDL, it's total combined GVWR.

i second that