PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer peeps can you give me some tips?

bigw
03-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Ok i loaded my trailer today for the first time and i put my wb in the front near the tongue of my 8x16 enclosed and the ztr over the wheels of the trailer { is this ok} also i used ratcheting straps around the 4 casters of each mower to secure them to my E-track on the floor.

I guess one of my questions is do you have any better ways to secure the mowers besides using these ratcheting straps,i mean what a pain in the butt they are going to be everytime you load and unload! I have a 4' wide side door that i will use to take the Quick wb out of and have it facing the door ready to back out down the ramps.

Someone told me i should put the ztr up front near the tongue of the trailer but i think it makes more sense to put the small 36 up their and the big ztr over the wheels or am i wrong? Any other tips would be appreciated also when it comes to using an enclosed!

KS_Grasscutter
03-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Your right with the ZTR over the wheels. I wouldn't worry that much about strapping it down, maybe put a couple 2x4s to go infront of and behind the rear wheels on the floor, set the parking break, and go. I don't see the point of wasting time to strap it down inside an enclosed trailer.

1MajorTom
03-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Here's a neat contraption that several manufacturers offer. This one is made for eXmark. They make them for walkbehinds and riders. One per machine.

Matt

bigw
03-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Your right with the ZTR over the wheels. I wouldn't worry that much about strapping it down, maybe put a couple 2x4s to go infront of and behind the rear wheels on the floor, set the parking break, and go. I don't see the point of wasting time to strap it down inside an enclosed trailer.

are you serious dont strap it down at all? Are these 2x4's fastend down at all?

FIREMAN Q
03-16-2008, 09:42 PM
use faststraps to tie them down. walker in front of the zturn.

bigw
03-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Here's a neat contraption that several manufacturers offer. This one is made for eXmark. They make them for walkbehinds and riders. One per machine.

Matt

do you know what these are called and do you bolt them to the floor?

1MajorTom
03-16-2008, 09:51 PM
do you know what these are called and do you bolt them to the floor?
LazerLocker, ya to the floor.
http://www.exmark.com/lazerlockerFAQ.htm

KS_Grasscutter
03-16-2008, 09:56 PM
are you serious dont strap it down at all? Are these 2x4's fastend down at all?

Yep screwed to the floor. And no, other than the 2x4s, nothing gets strapped down. And this is with an open trailer lol.

P.Services
03-16-2008, 10:00 PM
i have never straped mine down either, why? mine dont move a inch no matter how hard i drive. and if the truck should ever roll those straps arnt going to do sha.t i saw 3 ztr and 2 wb's come blowing out of the roof of a enclosed trailer at 75mph, they had been straped in also.

P.Services
03-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Yep screwed to the floor. And no, other than the 2x4s, nothing gets strapped down. And this is with an open trailer lol.

i have a 2x4 for the wb to push against, but nothing on the wheels. thats not legal to do in a open trailer around me so i dont agree with the practice but every one does it.

kleankutslawn
03-16-2008, 11:44 PM
i don't scrap my ztr either

kieferslawn
03-16-2008, 11:50 PM
I don't strap the mowers in my enclosed as well. They move maybe an inch or 2 every now and then but thats about it.

bill8379
03-16-2008, 11:55 PM
For what it's worth, I tie the front castor tire to the front wall of my trailer. It will bounce around and move if I don't and I drive nicely. One time it bounced backwards and bent the front part of a 21" mower that was directly behind it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103027&stc=1&d=1205447574

jdmcat
03-17-2008, 01:26 AM
fastraps work great and they take about 5 seconds to put on.

Ooomwizard
03-17-2008, 01:53 AM
ZTR - over trailers wheels and not strapped.
Walk behinds - 2 x 4 stoppers.
Everything else on hangers.
(Mounted my brake controller on the trailer so different vehicles can pull)

Gilligan
03-17-2008, 04:17 AM
Ok i loaded my trailer today for the first time and i put my wb in the front near the tongue of my 8x16 enclosed and the ztr over the wheels of the trailer { is this ok} also i used ratcheting straps around the 4 casters of each mower to secure them to my E-track on the floor.

I guess one of my questions is do you have any better ways to secure the mowers besides using these ratcheting straps,i mean what a pain in the butt they are going to be everytime you load and unload! I have a 4' wide side door that i will use to take the Quick wb out of and have it facing the door ready to back out down the ramps.

Someone told me i should put the ztr up front near the tongue of the trailer but i think it makes more sense to put the small 36 up their and the big ztr over the wheels or am i wrong? Any other tips would be appreciated also when it comes to using an enclosed!

Check out this link. I used the 2x4 method and mounted runners on the side of the trailer that the 2x4 slides down into.

Drive the mower in and up against the forward 2x4 then simply drop the other 2x4 into its slot. Takes all of maybe 5 seconds and the mower doesn't move and inch. If you feel so inclined you can mount a guide to the front 2x4 that the front wheel of the mower drives into.

I did the tie down straps for about a month and it was just a pain in the .....

Hope this helps

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=204173

DaveinSWFL
03-17-2008, 09:04 AM
I don't strap my ZTR's down and have not had a problem. They may move slightly but I have never saw a need to strap them down.

customcurbdesigns
03-17-2008, 10:09 AM
I have an open trailer, I dont strap them down either. I have a ztr and a 21 inch and dont strap either one. What a pain that would be. They dont move at all.

flykelley
03-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi Guys
It is just plain dumb to not secure your mowers. Just one accident or a quick stomp on the brakes and you may cause alot of damage to your mower. How long can it take to secure a mower? Not that long to make sure you and your equipment are safe. Take 2 minutes after every job, walk around your rig, make sure everything is secured and the rigs are safe.

Regards Mike

tyler_mott85
03-17-2008, 11:21 AM
You people don't have DOT where you work? Last time I checked, in Kansas, there were very strict rules on strapping equipment in. Enclosed trailers, there are no regulations since nothing is going to spill out onto the road but on an encloased trailer with less than 4 ft sides you have to have EVERYTHING secured with ratcheting straps. And, the straps have to be rated for the wait of the ENTIRE mower. so a 1,000lb mower has to have two 1,000lb straps on it. this is all for if you flip you trailer over the mowers stay put.
I have had luck with an open trailer with 4ft sides...The DOT inspections I've had with it were no problem. The Highway Patrol told me that if you roll a trailer with 4ft sides or enclosed it's going to be the same mess either way. They just dont' want stuff flying off the sides. if you Jack knife or get hit from the side.
As for how I strap my struff in in my open trailers, I dont. I just stay off the highways... Yes, Yes,.....Hypocracy at its finest...Sounds like the Clinton Campaign, eh? lmao.

For no other reason...strap them in to protect your equipment... Just a decent commercial push mower costs a grand now days...I'd hate to have a bit ZTR jump up and bite one...

I always put the Ztr on top of the axles but never behind....too much weight behind the axles and things get squirrely.

jdmcat
03-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi Guys
It is just plain dumb to not secure your mowers. Just one accident or a quick stomp on the brakes and you may cause alot of damage to your mower. How long can it take to secure a mower? Not that long to make sure you and your equipment are safe. Take 2 minutes after every job, walk around your rig, make sure everything is secured and the rigs are safe.

Regards Mike

exactly........

BeautifulBlooms
03-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Can someone show me a picture of a faststrap? Is that a brand name?

I have only used the ratchet straps and they are a pain but I know my equipment will be solid in its place.

Wells
03-17-2008, 10:05 PM
We use the recessed d-rings in thr floor and heavy duty cam-buckle tie down straps on both our open and enclosed trailers. All of our mowers including the small 21's are secured between each and every stop.

I watched a guy drive down the road one time with his trailer gate down and his equipment would have been all over the roadway if it wasn't straped down.

smcunningham
03-17-2008, 11:03 PM
If yoe get pulled over here in M.d w/o everything stapped down you better have a good bit saved up for the fines, and I'm not talking a couple hundred.

Jason Rose
03-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Well I have been using open trailers with 14" or however tall they are sides on them for years and years, and I have never felt the need to strap mowers down. I've been using the 2x4's on the floor most of that time an have never had a problem with the "authorities" either.

Only things I'm inclined to tie down are things that either tip over easily (like fertilizer spreaders/Permagreen, or aerators) that can't be held in with the 2x4's.

I see a LOT of mowing trailers aroud here, and NONE tie their equipment down with straps. If I had to do that I'd probably just shoot myself. I bought a set of "fastraps" a week or so ago for my permagreen, and then found that a set of rope ratchet tiedowns work great for it. The fastraps look like a PITA, and you have to set them up for ONE certian tire size. If you want to park a different machine in that spot they would be in the wrong place. And on my trailer, I swap mowers around quite often, depending on which one is being used the most for several lawns in a row.

Exact Rototilling
03-18-2008, 03:01 AM
I just noticed this thread after I posted a somewhat related thread under trucks & trailers re: E track and Fastrap wheel chock combo etc.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=221105

I don't plan on strapping down all 4 corners of my equipment but maybe 1 or 2 ties down per unit using a E track system so I don't need to worry about having an equipment demolition derby going on in the back of my trailer if a dog runs out in front of me etc. It's bad enough that my trailer doesn't have brakes.
:hammerhead:

newtostone
03-18-2008, 04:55 AM
keep the z where it is.
tie your stuff down. its not worth it not to, i have had stuff move on me in my enclosed trailer, and for the few seconds it takes just do it. ill run out to the trailer tomorrow and check to see what the tie downs i have on my E track are. but they are great and take all of two seconds to lock and unlock very fast, less than ten seconds for all two straps per mower.

smcunningham
03-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Here in Maryland we have the D.O.T. (Department of transportation) officers.
They drive around and pull truckers over that they think are over weight and they look for trailers that don't have eqmnt strapped down and they check and make sure that if your truck is rated for more than 1001lbs that you have a dot number and dot inspection. The dot officers also work @ the weight stations too.
I'm not postive but I'm pretty sure that you have to have all four corners of eqmnt strapped down...I'll find out for sure later today. This is regarding the state of Maryland so it may be different in your state.

newtostone
03-18-2008, 01:26 PM
http://www.roperatchet.com/500ratchet.shtml

This is what i use. i have about 6-7 of them in my trailer and just hook one to each side of my mower (front only. Its very quick and hold well.) any questions just ask. hope this helps. i hook one end into my D ring on the E-track floor and then the other to my mower. pull the cord and i am locked in.

O'BrienLawn&Landscape
03-19-2008, 12:55 PM
The parking brake on your ztr should hold the mowers in place but it is always a good idea to strap them down. On the positioning of the mowers the ztr def over the wheels. I tried putting them up front but it seemed to weigh down my truck a lot more and bounced it around, With the ztr over the wheels it balances the trailer out nice.