PDA

View Full Version : No luck with flyers

ghfire
03-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Passed out close to 500 flyers this past week. Not one call or email. This sucks all this fancy equipment and only accounts from family friends.

TimmayB4
03-16-2008, 09:06 PM
what did your flyer look like?

What houses did you target? new homes?

Where did you put the flyers? in mailbox?

Ed Ryder
03-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Maybe you screwed up with the content of that flyer? What did it say?

wiredawg
03-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Don't get too excited yet...I put out 300 a month ago...it took me 3 weeks before I got the first e-mail. I now have gotten 4 accts from that neighborhood.

ghfire
03-16-2008, 09:58 PM
It's a basic flyer, logo, name of lco, a little about myself, services offered, contact information, nothing intimidating. I will upload it tomorrow for some review. The neighborhoods I targeted have homes from $160,000 to 300,000, from old to young.

racer56
03-16-2008, 10:35 PM
You need to pass out 8-10k if you really want to light up the phone. We do this 3-4 times per season. I just think first the season is just getting going and with the economy in the midwest well it doesn't seem to be as good as years past.

green-pa
03-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Passed out close to 500 flyers this past week. Not one call or email. This sucks all this fancy equipment and only accounts from family friends.

I've done about 550 nearly a week ago. No call or anything yet either. Just keep on going for it and it will come. This weather ain't helping. some people hopefully will be holding on the flyers 'til they need the service or shortly b4. At this rate we won't be seeing any grass growth 'til probably the after the 1st week in April; a bit later than last year by a week or two. Oh well.

kleankutslawn
03-16-2008, 10:50 PM
stay at it.500 really isn't a lot of flyers

flhntr
03-17-2008, 07:57 AM
in my area the flyers were not a big hit either try direct mailing

StBalor
03-17-2008, 08:38 AM
are you guys serious? only 300 and 500 flyers? you guys will neet to pass out at least 10 times that many to get any responses.

bohiaa
03-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Funny How, There is NO secoand guessing the public,

While cutting a customers house I told my helper to go pass out flyers on Only this street " about 10 or 12" the next morning I get a call from one of them. it's was a house that's for sale. the NEW owner wants us for all season....

The customer we were cutting was a house with a for sale sgin on it.

JUST HANG IN THERE. And dont secoand Guess the CrAzY public......

GreenN'Clean
03-17-2008, 10:12 AM
With the economy the way it is you'll be lucky to get any calls this year because a lot of home owners are going to be cutting there own lawns this year. I was at Home Depot over the weekend and people were buying push mowers left and right. I asked a few about it and they all said there cutting out there lawn service and doing the lawns themselves this year to save money

Lynden-Jeff
03-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Only 500, I send out 25-50,000. You need more output!

Ed Ryder
03-17-2008, 07:46 PM
When I got back into the grass cutting business in 2001, I printed up 500 flyers and didn't even pass them all out. Within 3 weeks I went from zero to 40 new customers, and I continued to add properties from there. Partly it was luck, but I also had a very effective pitch in those flyers that made me stand apart from the competition, and it mentioned nothing about price.

So it isn't always about quantity of flyers distributed.

When you create a flyer, if you can think of a smart way to tell people why you are better than the rest and why they should schedule a meet-up with you now, you'll probably score a better result.

Hint: Don't emphasize price.

Wells
03-17-2008, 10:07 PM
I've seen the ice cream man driving through my neighborhood latley and nobody has been chasing him down the street yet. The moral to the story is your too early.....most people will call when they actually need the product your selling. Hang in there for a few more weeks and things should pick up.

With the economy the way it is you'll be lucky to get any calls this year because a lot of home owners are going to be cutting there own lawns this year.

We started to see the effects of this late last season, several of our clients dropped off our schedule due to their financial situation and the economy and things haven't gotten any better throughout the winter months so I'm expecting even more clients to drop off this season. I would also expect to see more slow payers this season and more non-payers.

topsites
03-18-2008, 02:18 AM
Yup, timing and raw numbers, what it boils down to.

McVey Landscaping
03-18-2008, 04:50 AM
Been there, if you got it, they will come, give it some time.

SomervilleLawncare
03-18-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm in the same boat, sent out 500 post cards to an area of $400,000 and up homes with no response yet. I still think its early in much of the country and I'm hoping people are just hanging on to them. I've also learned from the guys on here that 500 post cards or flyers doesnt usually cut it. You really need to put out at least a couple thousand to get a good response.

Does anyone know of a good site online to order flyers from?

Enzo
03-18-2008, 11:27 PM
I am thinking that it is to early in the season as well. I handed out another 200 flyers on top of the other 500 I did and I still havent heard anything yet. I hope people are waiting to call for when they need it.

RickR1818
03-19-2008, 12:10 AM
I have a multitude of ads going and have not had but a few calls. I still have 3000 full color door hangers to put out when weather shapes up. The good news, we are getting 3-4" of rain in the next day and it is in the 50's. Grass is already turning green and i have some spots popping up. I think that if the weather stays in the 50's with all the rain, people will start noticing the grass growing by next week.

packey
03-19-2008, 02:14 AM
Do not take this wrong but their is no majic bullet to getting customers. it takes a lot of hard work and being in the right place at the right time. Do not stop passing out flyers but you will need to pass out much more than 500. the biggest key is get visible. Go to your local sigh shop and have him cut vinyl for your doors. Start walking those neighborhoods and personaly talk with everyone you pass a flyer to. The most effective form of advertising is word of mouth do the accounts you have, do them well and make it known in those communities where you are already working do not just go over a neighbor hood once and forget it keep working it.

kleankutslawn
03-19-2008, 04:44 AM
Packey that was well put.i must agree

Atlantic Lawn
03-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Some guy put a flier in my mailbox last night, looks like crap. Half sheet of paper with name, info and number on it. Bad first impression ! Make sure You put some time and effort into your fliers or mailings and you may get some response. It's a numbers game for sure.

Ravenwood Landscaping
03-19-2008, 08:56 AM
With the economy the way it is you'll be lucky to get any calls this year because a lot of home owners are going to be cutting there own lawns this year. I was at Home Depot over the weekend and people were buying push mowers left and right. I asked a few about it and they all said there cutting out there lawn service and doing the lawns themselves this year to save money

I haven't found this to be true yet. I'm actually booked with some pretty big jobs throughout the month of April and I have more people that want work that I haven't even gone to estimate yet. It might just be the different areas, but I'm not seeing much of slow down just yet.

echeandia
03-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Only 500, I send out 25-50,000. You need more output!

What is your advertising budget? How do you distribute all of those flyers? Thanks.

AI Inc
03-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Try again the first nice weekend when people are outside.