PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best Walk behind

TimmayB4
03-16-2008, 10:00 PM
I am thinking about buying a walk behind in the next couple of weeks. I was wondering what ever one thought on which one I should buy, I am thinking about getting a 48'' deck. Thanks

Carolina Cuts
03-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Timmaaaaaay...!!!!!!!!!

that question is a little to broad.....
everybody has their own brand they use, and everyone will swear by 'the brand they use...."

shop around, pick something you like and can afford and THEN come back and say...
"Yo guys, who has an X mower and whatcha think of it? Pros and cons?"

ya know?

GNB
03-16-2008, 10:55 PM
I Have Exmark Tthp.very Happy.cant Say Its The Best Because I Would Have To Try Every Other Walk Behind Out There And Then Compare.what I Will Say Is Spend The Extra Money And Get A Dual Hydro.hope This Helps

bigclawnman
03-16-2008, 11:00 PM
I have a 32 inch 16 hp Toro walkbehind. I find that having a smaller WB is ideal for Residential properties, because it can fit in most gates. I like it a lot better since I put a sulky on it. Works great for me. For easy to use.

cgaengineer
03-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Easy question to answer. The answer is whatever one makes you the most money, but Toro would be my choice, though my opinion is kinda biased!!

CrimsonLawnCare
03-17-2008, 12:26 AM
my company started up last year, we first got a 36 inch viking mower :( we were new at this whole thing and didnt realize there was the turf tracer which has a floating deck. I would highly recomend getting a hydro with a floating deck, take a look at the exmarks turf tracers, that is what we run and we have been very happy with them, i cant say much about the other brands we only own three mowers and they have all been exmark. sorry hope that helps you.

green-pa
03-17-2008, 12:31 AM
U see a lot of SCAG's out here. Which is what I have. THey are very tough machines that do an excellent job. I would make sure u like the dealer that u get it from whatever u do, cause u'll have to deal with them if something goes wrong. Hydro is the easiest but most expensive vs belt driven.
Scag, Gravely, Toro, are among the best I'd say.

TimmayB4
03-17-2008, 12:39 AM
yea i have a kabota zero turn and love it.... but they of course don't make a walk behind and i have been looking at the turf tracer and really like it....

which ones campare to that model....

think the dealer said with bagger and wheely it would be about 5800 on price does that sound about right to yall..

CrimsonLawnCare
03-17-2008, 12:46 AM
i think i paid 6500 for my 19 hp 52 inch turf tracer HP with the exmark sulky wheel, so ya it is probaly about right since the one you are looking at is just a turf tracer and not the HP, but it never hurts to look around at other dealers

FinerCutslawnCare
03-17-2008, 12:51 AM
I have exmarks and have NO COMPLAINTS with them so far, they have made me money, saved me time and maintenance cost which is a big part of this business! My second choice would be toro and my third would be scag. If you want you can do a search and you will find days of reading on this site, this question has been asked alot. Hope u have a good season and good luck with your choice!

corey4671
03-17-2008, 12:53 AM
Carolina has made the best comment so far on this subject. What you need to do first is figure what brands are available in your area where the dealer will service what he sells. You don't want to be driving 50-60 miles one way to have something serviced. Once you have narrowed that field down. Demo demo demo!! Make a list with two columns, one with the things you liked..one with the things you didn't like about every machine you try out. Kind of like you are dating these mowers looking for the one to marry. Don't rely on what these guys tell you. What makes one guy happy may not make you happy and then you'll be unhappy because you listened to someone else instead of making your own decision.

IA_James
03-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Timmaaaaaay...!!!!!!!!!

that question is a little to broad.....
everybody has their own brand they use, and everyone will swear by 'the brand they use...."

shop around, pick something you like and can afford and THEN come back and say...
"Yo guys, who has an X mower and whatcha think of it? Pros and cons?"

ya know?

This guy is right. That being said, I'm going to fulfill his prophecy and tell you I love my Scag. 12.5 hp Kaw/36" deck. Cuts great, and you can cut in 4th gear if you keep the grass under 6" or so long. This is pulling me around on the 2 wheel sulky.