PDA

View Full Version : Estimate Help - Not This Time!!!!

TheTurfTender
03-16-2008, 11:16 PM
All Righty Then! Let's see what I have learned.

I am giving a quote tomorrow to the property below. I will post pics of it after I get back with the amounts I put in the bid.

THEN, we will see what you guys think! I guess I could screw myself pretty good, but after giving a few already, I think I'm ready.

The gent has requested:

Spring Clean-up
Dethatching, and 1st Fert Treatment.

I keep forgetting to ask people how they found me.....That's bad!!

The property is about 45k sq ft mowable. I don't think I will need to do any removal as I see a freakin forest behind the pond! We'll see after I get back tomorrow. I will post around 4-5 CST!

Wish me luck PLZ!!!

PlatinumLandCon
03-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Thats a solid property. I want to start doing more high-end and large properties next year. This year I'll grow with 1/4-1/2 ac properties then get bigger next year.

flattoplawncare
03-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Nice property, That might take a little bit with the 44. Don't cheat yourself on it.

lawnpro724
03-17-2008, 01:33 PM
the problem your going to run into is that your using a 44" mower and its going to take you a lot longer for you to mow that size lawn than your competitors. You need to price it at the going rate for that size lawn otherwise you will more than likely not get it. Let say your going to bid it on what time it takes you with a 44" mower and then your competition is using 2 60" Zs their going to be done in a fraction of the time it will take you to do. You need to price it at the rate the bigger guys will charge, you may not make the money you want to at first but as soon as you get the equipment to do larger properties you will start to see a bigger profit.

wski4fun
03-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Good post lawnpro. That is the correct way to think than what's my cost and how much do I want to make. The customer doesn't care what your costs are but they do care what thiers are. The more efficeint you are means you can be more competitive or make more money and this is why prices have gone down or stayed the same for so long. Good luck with the quote.

TheTurfTender
03-17-2008, 06:09 PM
That was a good post.

You should have seen the houses in this neighborhood. All the LAWNS were at least an acre and a half!!! I didn't think about the 2 60z's but I should have. I may have over priced myself on the houses I left door hangers on!!!

Here's what I gave the guy:

I told him it was hard to determan if the yard needed a dethatching as it was snowing this morning, so I didn't get a good sample. Lawn looks in great order though, I think it might need a Nitro boost in the spring. I told him to wait on that decision until at least a week after the fert is down.

$625

2 fert options:

Fert with Crabgrass control: Premium Fert 30-0-4 $210. I'll offer professional grade at $175. 24-0-8

Spring Clean up: $149.99. This will be cake, the lawn is super clean already. Just a few beds and the first mow. The forest and pond a kept segregated by a pretty well manicured lawn.

I also included an estimage for lawn services at $75 a week. I almost gave an irri bid too, but I'll keep at bay for thime being!!!

Oh, and I forgot the freakin Camera!!!

So how do you think I did? Over/underchage????? Let em fly!!!

bill8379
03-17-2008, 07:06 PM
It would take me two hours about with a 36 wb but I don't have a sulkey... tough way to make $75. I do a 22k lawn for $55 and it takes me 55 mins.

I would definetly buy a sulkey if I had that lawn, probably save half an hour.

bigw
03-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Im not the expert yet but i would have bid that lawn at 55-60$ but then again id be using my 60'' lazer, id have to bid that because the bigger companies around here would do that for like 40-50 bucks. They are offering 2 acres for 55-65 around here.

stuffdeer
03-17-2008, 07:34 PM
I think you did good on your bids.

TheTurfTender
03-17-2008, 07:37 PM
I revised it to $65!!!

TheTurfTender
03-17-2008, 07:45 PM
So the 2-1/2 acre lot I bid $120 might not work out for me? LOL opps!

wski4fun
03-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Stick to the lawns that you can make money at with the equipment you have. Just imagine if you get a string of bad weather or for what ever reason you fall a week behind. Then imagine mowing two weeks of growth on a 2 1/2 acre lawn. Imo 1 acre is pushing it with 1 44". Or better yet one of those really hot days when all you can think about is getting into a cool shower and you forget to check the gas before you start off. I still think 15k and under for a solo if you have enough in your area is where the money is at. Again, this is just my opinion.