PDA

View Full Version : worker comp ??????????

tsi guy
03-17-2008, 05:20 PM
I went to give bid today at a industrial business. they wanted proof of worker comp. I told them That I didn't need worker comp because I'm a solo. They told me I still needed it. are there any other sp out there that ran into this problem. I talk to my boss and he said he carries worker comp for snow plowing even though he sp. he said it's 50 buck for six months. just more money to spend. any reponses will be appreciated

lawnpro724
03-17-2008, 06:33 PM
You don't need workers comp if its just your self but you do need to have contractors liability insurance. Unless I misunderstood what you wrote your boss is feeding you a line of B.S. Worker comp is one of the highest overhead costs I have. You said $100.00 a year? Try closer to $2,500 a year for just one employee and for one full time and one part time I pay closer to $5,000.00 a year.

03-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Ok so yes you know you dont need if since you dont have employees. But to be correct with your state you have to go to the Workforce Safety(workers comp) office, and sign a form stating that you do not want workers comp on YOURSELF, and THAT YOU HAVE ZERO EMPLOYEES.

Still all that does is get you legit with the state. All a part of starting up.

When it comes to working on commercial places, they are going to require you have it, and to show proof (a letter showing your workers comp account # and saying "Preimum Paid").

I went and got mine set up for one employee, and no coverage on me. I am at the minimum level, because I dont expect to use a helper very much, and mine is about $250/yr. It's all a part of doing business.

Expect most commercial places, or property managers, to require you to submit proof of GL, and a W-9 form also.

Down2EarthLawns
03-17-2008, 09:23 PM
For my commercials, I provide them a copy of my Comp Exempt letter that I recieved after filing.

memac259
03-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Where can you get an exempt letter from??

tamadrummer
03-17-2008, 09:39 PM

We get ours from Alex Sink's office. I don;t know who you get it from in Maryland.

kleankutslawn
03-17-2008, 09:42 PM

when you go down to the wokers comp.office tell them you need a application for exemption. Here in Tampa it cost me $50 to apply

tsi guy
03-17-2008, 09:56 PM
the way they explained it to me, is that I'm a employee for them. they hired me and pay me to do a job for them just like there employees. so for exaple if I was plowing snow for them and hit a light pole and hit my head against the windshield and broke my a neck and was off work for a period of time I could sue that company. so that is where workmans comp comes in. I don't know what your states require but ohio requires it. I asked my bank the same question for next year for snow plowing and told me the same thing. Need workmans comp, not a exempt letter but coverage. It's news to me and yes 100 dollars for year. so I'm going to bite the bullet and have to get it.

03-17-2008, 11:07 PM
the way they explained it to me, is that I'm a employee for them. they hired me and pay me to do a job for them just like there employees. so for exaple if I was plowing snow for them and hit a light pole and hit my head against the windshield and broke my a neck and was off work for a period of time I could sue that company. so that is where workmans comp comes in. I don't know what your states require but ohio requires it. I asked my bank the same question for next year for snow plowing and told me the same thing. Need workmans comp, not a exempt letter but coverage. It's news to me and yes 100 dollars for year. so I'm going to bite the bullet and have to get it.

You need to look up the defination of an employee. It is very clearly outlined on the IRS website. The definition of an employee they give is THE STANDARD for all 50 states. There is a big difference between an employee and a contractor/subcontractor. Sorry I dont have the link handy. I wish SnoFarmer was here- he would give you the link.

CreativeEdge
03-18-2008, 08:53 PM
I am a business w/ no employees, some companies require that you have workmans comp even though you are by yourself. Here in GA it is $800/yr for myself. The worst part of it is that if I were to get hurt, it does not help me in anyway. I just passed on a bid opportunity for all of the Bank of Americas in my county b/c what I would make per store would not justify me having workmans comp. If this company requires it, they have to have it even if you are the only one working. If it worth it to your for 100 bucks then I would say go ahead and get it. Atleast it wont hinder you from other jobs in this next year.

Lawn-Sharks
03-18-2008, 09:07 PM
when you go down to the wokers comp.office tell them you need a application for exemption. Here in Tampa it cost me $50 to apply

I did my workmans comp exemption on the enternet and it didn't cost me nothing and it was posted immediately. then the card came in the mail abot 2weeks later... Or did you apply for a construstion exemption? that i know cost money to get

Dynamic
03-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Here (Canada) you can buy optional workmans comp on yourself. Workmans comp and contractors liability are 2 totally different insurances. Also here, some big companies will not allow you to bid/tender in if you do not have workmans comp. and they do not except excemptions as this is noe way of them sorting out the mom and pop companies. As I was told once when I started out..."if you aren't big enough now to carry workmans comp(no employees) how can you take care of there property professionally later". So if you are going after these commercials, then sometimes your better off to get lots of residentials, hire a really good employee and get your workmans comp running so next year you are ready to go.

stevenf
03-19-2008, 01:07 AM
I dont understand why you would have to have worker comp insurance for part time workers. If they get injured, they dont have the same benefits as a full time worker would, so they wouldnt get workers comp.
Does it work how Im thinking?

Atlantic Lawn
03-19-2008, 06:49 AM
If You are solo most of the time no Workmans Comp means no contract or even a second look at your proposal. Sorry that's just the way it is with many commercial properties.

Landrus2
03-19-2008, 07:26 AM
I went to give bid today at a industrial business. they wanted proof of worker comp. I told them That I didn't need worker comp because I'm a solo. They told me I still needed it. are there any other sp out there that ran into this problem. I talk to my boss and he said he carries worker comp for snow plowing even though he sp. he said it's 50 buck for six months. just more money to spend. any reponses will be appreciated

Where do you buy your insurance you must have rates back from the 1800?:waving:

okeefl
03-19-2008, 07:55 AM
I did my workmans comp exemption on the enternet and it didn't cost me nothing and it was posted immediately. then the card came in the mail abot 2weeks later... Or did you apply for a construstion exemption? that i know cost money to get

Did you get an actual exemption card? I am asking because I requested an exemption and recieved a letter stating that since I was not in the construction industry and had less than 4 employees I was not required to have Workers Comp, therefore they would not issue me an exemption.

lawnpro724
03-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Did you get an actual exemption card? I am asking because I requested an exemption and recieved a letter stating that since I was not in the construction industry and had less than 4 employees I was not required to have Workers Comp, therefore they would not issue me an exemption.

Do you provide insurance to cover your employees? In IL if you have employees you must carry workers comp its the law. You can exempt yourself but not your employees. I don't see how you can be exempt from having workers comp if you have employees. It must be nice to live in FL.

Lawn-Sharks
03-19-2008, 01:23 PM

Yes i recieved a card. it states with the paper it came with that i am supposed to carry the card with me at all times.. If their anything i can help you with on this matter let me know.. P.S its a paper card but none the less a card that fits in my wallet

CLARK LAWN
03-19-2008, 01:35 PM
go fill out your paper work pay you $50 and get your certificate. thats all they want to see. it doesnt say who or how many are covered just shows that you have coverage. as you bid more comercial you will need to have it anyway.

daveintoledo
03-19-2008, 01:43 PM

you are obviously new, and bidding on properties you are not ready for.....first off, your not an employee, or you wouldnt need the workers comp....

second....the cost of workers comp is not a flat rate... you better check into this further

third, if you are getting these contract with no experience, your prices are way too low....

finally , when soneone tells you your an employee of them, get up and walk out the door, your dealing with another inexperienced person who has no idea what they are taling about

GSPHUNTER
03-19-2008, 02:27 PM
you are obviously new, and bidding on properties you are not ready for.....first off, your not an employee, or you wouldnt need the workers comp....

second....the cost of workers comp is not a flat rate... you better check into this further

third, if you are getting these contract with no experience, your prices are way too low....

finally , when soneone tells you your an employee of them, get up and walk out the door, your dealing with another inexperienced person who has no idea what they are taling about

Hey Dave, how are you supposed to gain experience if you just get up and walk out the door.

Your comment about charging to little if he is getting these contracts is kind of weird. You told me to figure out my costs then I could charge correctly. Maybe his costs are lower so he can charge less and maybe the company is willing to pay less to have a less experienced company do their lawn maintenance.

tsi guy
03-19-2008, 05:25 PM
hi dave in toledo. thanks for YOUR opinion!!! cutting grass is cutting grass, doesn't matter where. To low sixty bucks an hour for just me, if thats to low then your ripping people off.and as far as top three lco, I was curious your lco name. you must have five crews or more cause I know a hand full of lco that have twenty or more employes.I found out it just a exempt card I need and it is a 100 bucks a year. can't wait to bid against you. have a nice day!!

1wezil
03-19-2008, 06:01 PM
i was told in Tenn by my insurance agent that if you are new to workmen comp that i would have to pay the lowest rate the first year of $750.00 and at the end of the year the state will see how much i have pay to any employees and if i did not pay any body then i would get back most of the money back . does any body know if there is a exempt form here that i could get because there are only some commercial bids that request workmen comp?

okeefl
03-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Yes i recieved a card. it states with the paper it came with that i am supposed to carry the card with me at all times.. If their anything i can help you with on this matter let me know.. P.S its a paper card but none the less a card that fits in my wallet

I did some more research today...are you an LLC or INC?

From what I could uncover an LLC cannot get an exemption unless they are in the construction industry.

Lawn-Sharks
03-20-2008, 09:15 AM
I did some more research today...are you an LLC or INC?

From what I could uncover an LLC cannot get an exemption unless they are in the construction industry.

You can find me on sun biz .Im am a Inc...... I want to let you know i checked last night and i was a little off about how i got my exemption.. Heres how i got it. I down loaded the form from the internet and filled them out and sent them in. When they recieved them then they called me to ask me what my deffinession of landscaping was i told them ahhh you know throw down a lil mulch here and their plant some bushes Ect......the ladie said ok but are you going to be doing any "digging or building any walls" i sain "No" then she said im fine then because if i was to do that then i needed a construction exemption and that i would have to pay her some loot $$$ Then she went on saying she would post my exemption on the internet for instant proof and that i would recieve a card to keep in my wallet in about 2 to 3 weeks and that if i needed any proof go to the web site and print out the page with my info on it :cool2:

okeefl
03-20-2008, 11:40 AM
You can find me on sun biz .Im am a Inc...... I want to let you know i checked last night and i was a little off about how i got my exemption.. Heres how i got it. I down loaded the form from the internet and filled them out and sent them in. When they recieved them then they called me to ask me what my deffinession of landscaping was i told them ahhh you know throw down a lil mulch here and their plant some bushes Ect......the ladie said ok but are you going to be doing any "digging or building any walls" i sain "No" then she said im fine then because if i was to do that then i needed a construction exemption and that i would have to pay her some loot $$$ Then she went on saying she would post my exemption on the internet for instant proof and that i would recieve a card to keep in my wallet in about 2 to 3 weeks and that if i needed any proof go to the web site and print out the page with my info on it :cool2:

There is the difference I'm a LLC and your are INC. LLC Owners can only get an exemption card if they are in the construction industry, otherwise it is not needed.

In Florida as an LLC if you list under Landscaping Code 0042 and pay $50.00 the business owner can be exempt.

Lawn-Sharks
03-20-2008, 04:50 PM
There is the difference I'm a LLC and your are INC. LLC Owners can only get an exemption card if they are in the construction industry, otherwise it is not needed.

In Florida as an LLC if you list under Landscaping Code 0042 and pay $50.00 the business owner can be exempt.

First of all you last comment makes it sounds like i was argueing with you?
all i was trying to do was answer YOUR QUESTIONS to HELP YOU achieve you goal of getting a workman exempt card! and yes i do know that an LLC and INC are different! I am an (Inc.) I have a "workmans Exempt card" and i didnt pay "Anything to get it" AND I didn't KNOW you were an LLC BECAUSE YOU never told me or POSTED it!!! So pay the $50 and go about your marry way!

okeefl
03-20-2008, 08:09 PM
First of all you last comment makes it sounds like i was argueing with you?
all i was trying to do was answer YOUR QUESTIONS to HELP YOU achieve you goal of getting a workman exempt card! and yes i do know that an LLC and INC are different! I am an (Inc.) I have a "workmans Exempt card" and i didnt pay "Anything to get it" AND I didn't KNOW you were an LLC BECAUSE YOU never told me or POSTED it!!! So pay the $50 and go about your marry way!

NO, it makes it sound like aha that was what was different. SO YOU MISUNDERSTOOD THE POST!

I was simply trying to figure out why my exemption request was denied.

starry night
03-07-2010, 07:04 PM
tsi guy: if you are still reading after all this other stuff. Does the client want YOU to have workers compensation coverage or don't they? It doesn't sound to me like they want a statement that you are exempt. It sounds like they want to make sure YOU ARE COVERED by insurance. The State of Ohio doesn't require you to have worker's compensation on yourself. You may choose to have it if you want. You are only required to have it on your employees. I don't have it on myself, only my employees. However, I DO have insurance coverage for my business-- $ 2 million liability and $1 million property damage. If you do get workers comp for yourself, the premium is based on your income. (And I guarantee you that even at very little income, your premium will be higher than $50 per six months.)

It doesn't matter what these other guys say about their states. Their discussion is fine among themselves. But you are in Ohio. I have been in business for 26 years and I know what I'm talking about FOR OHIO.

silverado212
03-07-2010, 08:18 PM
I found out from my CPA that in Ohio it is based off of income. Yes it can be only $50. That is minimum. You are rated in categories based on income.

silverado212
03-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Ok spent 30 mins on the phone with Ohio BWC today. Very nice and helpful lady. Here is what i got:
If you are an LLC soleproprietor you do not have to have coverage.
You can ELECT it but for a healthy price.
Ex: $10,000 in payroll rate of .039629 for existing landscape maintenance
So 10,000 x .039629 = 396.29 a yr divided by 2
Double that for new installs
Was told for startups until they have payroll $50 every 6 months for a Certificate showing proof of BWC payment. Was recommended this route. Now it will not cover anyone but will provide documentation to show commercial properties

starry night
03-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks Silverado for your research. You may remember we were on another thread about Worker's Comp in Ohio. I could never figure out where that "$50 for six months" line came from because I have heard it more than once. So then, $50 will get you a certificate saying you have opened an account with Ohio Workers Comp and I assume you must make up the premium balance at the end of the year based on your income. Is that how you understood it?