PDA

View Full Version : Zero Turn or Walk Behind

HLW
03-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Hello,

Layoffs maybe coming so I am starting to consider lawn care as my next career.

I live in the Central Florida area and will be concentrating on small residential at first. Today I visited several lawn equipment dealers. I found that 95% of their mowers a Zero Turn riders.

Is there any big advantage to the Zero Turn? Would a Walk Behind be a better option for small residential?

Also is a commercial grade mower essential?

For a Zero Turn machine I was also looking at the John Deer EZ Track Z225 and the Cub Cadet RZT 42. For about $3,000 these would seem to be good options for a beginner.

What about the Cub Cadet 760ES Walk Behind?

Please excuse all the question, I just don't want to go into this blindly.

Thanks in advance :)

YardBoss Lawncare
03-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Hell, that's what this website is all about. Asking questions and helping each other out. Once in awhile people get out of line on here and are slick at the mouth, usually out of jealousy, but for the most part it's not too bad. About your question, I wouldn't spend the money on anything non-commercial, but you can only do what the pocket book allows, so. I've never owned a walk behind because most of my stuff is high acreage, but alot of guys are probably going to recommend one to you.

Military Lawns
03-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Welcome to the website first of all. Next, I will say that you should use the search feature as there is a plethora of information available, specifically what you are asking about. Last, I will say that it comes down to how many lawns you intend on cutting, how fast, the quality, cost and most importantly...preference!

As far as equipment, go with a dealer who will support you. I see that you are from the Orlando area and if you PM me, I can give you some recommendations. I too cut in the Orlando area and have some experience with certain dealers. I will be glad to share my knowledge. I also may have some used, but really new equipment that may catch your interest.

However, I am NOT a green expert. However, if you post a question nine of of ten you will get an acceptable answer. There are some smart and extremely knowledgeable people on board here.

Best Wishes,

DJ

lawnpro724
03-17-2008, 06:26 PM
For half acre and under and walk behind mower will be your best bet and since your just starting out the cost will be cheaper. I would recommend Toro's T-bar walkbehind mower w/turbo force deck and Kaw v-twin engine.

bigw
03-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Wow three answers and not a single " DO YOU HAVE INSURANCE" "DONT LOW BALL" "DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING" "BYE CHEAP USED STUFF,DONT BE LIKE BIG W AND BE EQUIPMENT RICH" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

lsu03
03-17-2008, 08:32 PM
welcome to lawnsite!

SKAGMAN7
03-17-2008, 09:19 PM
I have to compliment you on representing a classy lawn site member. Thats what I enjoy about his site. Those that are willing to help others even though they live in the same areas. Good luck in your venture, he's right, a ton of good info. here...

paul vroom
03-17-2008, 09:34 PM
I have also just started, this is my second year. I know that the new clients I have all have said that they did not appreciate that a person shows up with a rider for their yard. Even though I go as fast as I can they just seem to appreciate seeing me walk? Besides I can stand to lose a few......Good luck!:drinkup: