PDA

View Full Version : Our customers are monitoring

pete scalia
03-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Got a call today from a client. Told me that he has read some of my posts on lawnsite. This whole board should be closed down for decency sake.

M & MD Lawn
03-17-2008, 10:56 PM
He's crazy. he didn't fire you did he?

pete scalia
03-17-2008, 11:00 PM
He's crazy. he didn't fire you did he?

Not yet but he should have. Don't you think?

jnewton
03-18-2008, 01:08 AM
To tell the truth, Pete, if I was a potential client of yours and I read what you have posted here, I'd move on to the next guy in the phone book. The tone and content of your posts indicates that you have little respect for your clients or other lighting professionals. I guess this online stuff tends to catch up with us over time, thanks to Google....

Stillwater
03-18-2008, 04:47 AM
Got a call today from a client. Told me that he has read some of my posts on lawnsite. This whole board should be closed down for decency sake.

some golden rules

1) never post your true company name
2) never identify yourself or post anything that could LEAD to your identity
3) never discuss methods of profit
4) never disclose details of your business plan
5) always be polite hear
6) when on lawnsite assume everyone reads your posts
7) don't identify your customers in discussion hear

I could go on.

steveparrott
03-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Why not? A company that shows a genuine interest in increasing their skills, a willingness to share knowledge and a respect for others is a company I would want to do business with.
Same as above. Also, these days you should assume that public posts may eventually be traced to your true identity.
This is common sense for a public forum, although there is much that can be shared without compromising the success of your business.
5) always be polite hear
I don't see anything wrong with many (even aggresive) styles of communication, but respect should always be the underlying principle.
I'd go even further. I assume that everything I write and say in any place may be heard by anyone. Even comments to closest friends tend to get around. Best to be on your best behavior everywhere.
This is wise. In fact, posting a photo of a customer's house, as we often do, can be risky. Not only may the homeowner be upset, you legally need permission to take a photo of a structure if you take the photo on the homeowners property. If you take the photo from outside the property then you don't need permission. It's good to have a photo permission clause in the contract.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-18-2008, 08:50 AM
All very good points Steve.

A blanket rule of thumb for e-comm's is to simply assume that everything you write in an email, everything you post to a forum or website is in the public domain.

I brought this up a number of months ago here.... the fact that anyone can simply google your name or business and find the posts here on lawnsite. There is even a website called board reader that makes searching forum contributions even easier.

I am of the mind that participation on public forums is totally fine, along with full disclosure of your business and identity... what you want to avoid is being un-professional. That stuff will only come back and hurt you in the long run.

Have a great day.

JoeyD
03-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Great post Steve.

I get more calls and emails from people who said they have read my posts online and are now looking to me for more information. I think only once did someone on here tell me they were completley turned off by my comments and it turns out the guy was a designer who was never fond of Unique anyway. You can't win them all, honesty is the best policy. Sometimes speaking the truth or having an opinion leaves you open for critisim but overall I think this open discussion of topics is great for us and our industry.

I try not to be so aggresive anymore, it took some time for me to figure out how to convey a point or opinion here without coming off as confrentational. It is hard sometimes to type out what you mean to say.

irrig8r
03-18-2008, 12:24 PM
some golden rules

5) always be polite hear

I could go on.

8. Always use a spellchecker "hear". :laugh:

JoeyD
03-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Spellchk is ovratid

mowing grass 1111
03-18-2008, 01:29 PM
some golden rules

5) always be polite hear

I could go on.

i agree 100%:) i don't want my clients to know how big of an ******* i am:laugh:

David Gretzmier
03-20-2008, 06:15 PM
I've picked up cleints from what they have read here, even when others may have felt I was confrontational. I had one client appreciate that I stood up for what I believed in. Mike g ( high performance lighting ) left this board around 6 months ago after I pointed out that potential/current clients could google his name or business name and read all that he posted. He left a short time after.

If what you post is correct, knowledgable questions/answers, and insightful opinion based on experience, then customers will read what you post as valuable and hire you. if it is negative, name calling, and seems immature and petty, then customers will pick up on that as well.

I got the CEO of the largest corporation in the world from what his wife read on the web about me. So I encourage my customers to read what I have posted.

Stillwater
03-20-2008, 06:24 PM
I did not know the ceo of Walmart lives in Ar. Cool

NightScenes
03-20-2008, 06:31 PM
I always tell prospective clients to investigate me and my company. If they do that, they can't help but find my posts on the forums. I would hate to put anything on here that I would not be proud of or want my children to read. Come to think of it, I had someone come up to me at a home product show this past weekend and tell me that he enjoys reading my posts and want's me to come to his home in a few weeks when he's done landscaping.

Actually, I expect my oldest son, who has worked for me for 3 years now to start participating on these forums in the very near future since I just provided him with a new laptop.

JoeyD
03-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Oh no! 2 Paul's.....were in for it now guys!!

BrandonV
03-20-2008, 07:31 PM
i too have thought about having my name posted here, but you know I am just as respectful on here as in real life so I don't think there should be a problem. This board is great for keeping up to date on styles and let me on the east coast get a vision of what's coming (west coast)

The Lighting Geek
03-20-2008, 08:56 PM
I can see it now....Paul Jr. starting some smack while pretending to be Sr. We'll be watching that Jr. vewy carefuwy:laugh:

NightScenes
03-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Yeah, this ought to be good.

pete scalia
03-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Mike g ( high performance lighting ) left this board around 6 months ago after I pointed out that potential/current clients could google his name or business name and read all that he posted. He left a short time after.

So he left cause of you huh:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I heard he was banned

Chris J
03-21-2008, 10:32 PM
. Mike g ( high performance lighting ) left this board around 6 months ago after I pointed out that potential/current clients could google his name or business name and read all that he posted. He left a short time after.

Yes David, this is a bit arrogant if you ask me.
As far as potential clients reading this stuff: I say if you can't stand the heat then you best stay out of the kitchen. This forum is supposed to be for professionals to exchange information and ideas. Obviously the subject matter will sometimes get heated and egos will become envolved. Any potential client of mine should understand that I am the best in my region and they will pay a premium for the quality and service that we provide. If they decide not to hire me based upon comments made on this forum, then that is just their loss. I don't beg people to have the finest lighting systems available. I just offer it at a reasonable price.
The rest of you seem to be putting on a show for the internet viewers!

pete scalia
03-22-2008, 12:41 AM
Yes David, this is a bit arrogant if you ask me.
As far as potential clients reading this stuff: I say if you can't stand the heat then you best stay out of the kitchen. This forum is supposed to be for professionals to exchange information and ideas. Obviously the subject matter will sometimes get heated and egos will become envolved. Any potential client of mine should understand that I am the best in my region and they will pay a premium for the quality and service that we provide. If they decide not to hire me based upon comments made on this forum, then that is just their loss. I don't beg people to have the finest lighting systems available. I just offer it at a reasonable price.
The rest of you seem to be putting on a show for the internet viewers!

I have to agree. Those who make politically correct posts because they are saying what they think prospects want to hear are pansies and sissie pants momma's boys. Like Chris said he's the best in his region and I in mine. What you see is what you get now drop and give me 20.

JoeyD
03-24-2008, 11:51 AM
LOL! too funny. I am glad I left the laptop home this weekend!

GreenN'Clean
03-24-2008, 01:01 PM
So they can read the prices and realize they could do the job themselves and save hundreds

Chris J
03-24-2008, 10:22 PM
IF they could do the job themselves? Then yes. They could save thousands possibly. If you were a Doctor, you could deliver your wife's baby or maybe give yourself a transplant? If you were a carpenter, you could probably build yourself a home without a GC? If you were a Professor, you could possibly teach the rest of us SOMETHING?