PDA

View Full Version : Mowing Islands?

Sunstate Lawn
03-18-2008, 07:10 AM
What is the most efficient way to mow islands in a parking lot? Right now they are small enough to use a weedeater, but I have some bids coming up where the areas are larger, and I don't want to run the mower that close to cars if I don't have to.

DaveinSWFL
03-18-2008, 08:37 AM
I use a 22" self propelled. You could use a ramp if needed to use a walk behind or ztr. As far as cars go, there is really no way to avoid them. I do a resturant and I try to get there as early as possible to avoid a busy parking lot.

Atlantic Lawn
03-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Small push mower without discharge.

gandk06
03-18-2008, 09:12 AM
I would think getting there as early as possible and starting closest to the building to beat the cars getting there would be the best way. Then use a 21 or smaller walkbehind.

F Y P M
03-18-2008, 12:13 PM
WE do 2 things 1 try to mow when they are closed, 2 If never closed very early cutting, here in NY we can start work on comm. accts at 6am. Most of the time I'll go and mow islands on sunday mornings with 21inch and pick-up truck with weed wacker.

Sunstate Lawn
03-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I never would have thought of a 21" push mower. I guess I need to buy one....

Thanks again!

packey
03-18-2008, 02:39 PM
islands and small areas are where having a good commercial 21 come in real handy . make sure the mower either is set up to mulch or bag to keep debris from flying. Mow the islands first thing. most times with a bagger on you 21 inch you will not have to worry about debris espesially if you get one with a good vacum like a snapper hi vac. The weed eater is the easiest way to damage property so keep trimming with them to a minimum. I know most of us can keep them from throwing but still it is going to happen

topsites
03-18-2008, 03:49 PM
There was a year or two ago an Lco who had only commercial contracts, and he only cut at night.
He said after he mounted the lights and most places leave some lights on, it was the best choice he ever made.

Definitely a push mower thou, if it's large enough of an island I'd consider using a Wb for those, just the curb jumping gets old quick so it has to be a certain size.