PDA

View Full Version : Ford F650 engine power?

Bombi275
03-19-2008, 01:46 AM
I have a 2000 F650 with a 5.9 cummins ISB and was just wondering how to turn up the power. The engine is currently rated at 185 horsepower but was available in other power ranges. Would just like a little more power on steep grades. Any help would be appreciated.

02DURAMAX
03-19-2008, 01:57 AM
I have a 2000 F650 with a 5.9 cummins ISB and was just wondering how to turn up the power. The engine is currently rated at 185 horsepower but was available in other power ranges. Would just like a little more power on steep grades. Any help would be appreciated.

thats one small engine for that size truck...maybe a chip would help it..Banks?

Gravel Rat
03-19-2008, 02:17 AM
Not much you can do without killing the engine. The 5.9 is already maxed out in a F-650 you don't want to crank it up anymore or it will live up to its name Cummapart.

Bombi275
03-19-2008, 02:52 AM
Thanks guys. Thought at least it was worth asking. All in all truck really gets around pretty good loaded with 6 tons, no record setter, but it gets there and I don't have to worry about DOT.

Gravel Rat
03-19-2008, 02:58 AM
The max power you would want to squeek out of it would be 210.

It really doesn't matter how much horsepower you have when your pulling a 10% grade. Just get a good run at the hill :laugh:

Marek
03-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Edge products makes a tuner that is perfict for that truck. Look it up.Simple to do and not very expensive.

TXNSLighting
03-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Ya know with the bigger trucks like that, you can go to a cummins dealer and they will have solutions for it. If you have warranty still. They have upgrades that will keep your warranty in tact. If not then You cant do much more with that cummins, probably about 25-30 more hp. Visit a diesel shop. or call banks.

TLS
03-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Ummm, is this not the same Cummins offered in the Dodge pickups for the past 20 years? Unless the computer is different in the Fords, you should be able to get a LOT more power. With it being in a bigger truck, you'd want to be modest about it though, as you are WORKING it harder than those hot-rod Dodge boys.

TXNSLighting
03-19-2008, 10:14 AM
No its not the same engine.

TLS
03-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Different computers and vehicle specific components, but an ISB is an ISB. Same engine.

KTM
03-19-2008, 10:38 AM
I disagree, that is the same engine and it is used in many different applications, that's the beauty of the engine being in a regular truck, it's a medium duty engine. That engine has been cranked up for years by Cummins and owners that want more power, with great results and reliability. If you talk with some Cummins guy's most will say to stay away from Bank's as there stuff is not that great and is over priced. As with the Dodge truck's, it is easy to get power out of these engines, you just have to make sure the rest of the drive train can handle it.

Gravel Rat
03-19-2008, 02:44 PM
The ISB is a 200,000 mile motor when used in medium duty trucks they are JUNK. Sorry but the largest truck the ISB should be in is a Dodge bigger than that they are not reliable. What you can do to the engine in a Dodge you CAN NOT do in a medium duty.

Only the 12 valve was somewhat reliable in a medium duty.

Leave the engine at 185hp and you can hope it makes 300,000 miles.

Cummins will tell you anything they know a year from now you will be buying a rebuit engine or a rebuild kit.

Fleets spec medium duty trucks with the 5.9 because it is cheap.

mag360
03-19-2008, 03:45 PM
I don't think gravel rat likes the 5.9 :)

The 24valve cummins in that truck has proven to be very reliable (lift pump aside) in heavy towing applications in the dodge 2500 and 3500 series trucks.
The hotshot crowd will gross over 30,000 lbs for hundreds of thousands of miles on these motors. If you are not towing with an f650 your motor won't regularly see over 26,000 lbs---I would feel comfortable going to 210 or a little higher.

KTM
03-19-2008, 04:10 PM
I really don't think gravel rat knows much about these motors, there used in every thing from heavy equipment, trucks, and motor homes. Sure you won't be able to crank one up to double the power and make it last in A F650, but it will take more than stock output and will be reliable.

Marek
03-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Gravel when you say junk I think you mean to guys that want a motor to go a half million miles or more. In lighter apps they are great motors, and its a shame they put them in a mopar wrapper. I have a 275 ISB in my 39' motorhome and it was a bit under powered in the hills so we had an Edge box and exhaust temp gauge put on. All the difference in the world. Now it is putting out 325 hp . This is on a 26000 # rv before adding anything else. We regularly tow or boat or enclosed trailer with it running back and forth to Florida. It has the Allison 3000 trans which is great.At just over 65 we get 9.75 mpg. My 550s struggle to get that.

nosparkplugs
03-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Ford does not put a real diesel in their trucks until the F-650, makes you wonder? The Cummins ISB 5.9L is a medium duty engine, and their are marine, agriculture, and automotive applications, the ECU,ECM programs control the HP.

BrandonV
03-19-2008, 09:58 PM
it a good highway motor for vans and the like. If your going for a dump truck application you need the cat. That being said the price is right and I have two trucks withthat motor.

tnmtn
03-19-2008, 10:54 PM
local gravel yard has 2 single axle trucks with that engine. they work them very hard and have had good luck. their trucks are F650's with 5 speed tranny and 2 speed rear. i've seen them make it up some steep hills with a load. not fast but made it still. the driver said it is much lower on maintenance than the cats they had before and around the same power.

Gravel Rat
03-20-2008, 12:57 AM
You can beleive all you want thinking the Cummins 5.9 is a medium duty engine :laugh:

The singer sewing machine Cat is a far superior engine over the Cummins 5.9 anyday. The Cat may cost more to fix but will go more miles than a Cummapart would ever dream off. The 7.2 Cat is a medum duty engine it is used in tandem axle trucks.

The 5.9 Cummins is a over glorified tractor engine good for stationary equipment or stuff that doesn't require a large load.

I really laugh when I see you Dodge guys think that the Cummins is a medium duty engine. Totally brainwashed, just because the engine works in a P/U truck doesn't mean it works in a real truck.

The best medium duty engine out there is the 466 International it will outlast the ISB by a long shot.

mag360
03-20-2008, 02:41 AM
You can beleive all you want thinking the Cummins 5.9 is a medium duty engine :laugh:

The singer sewing machine Cat is a far superior engine over the Cummins 5.9 anyday. The Cat may cost more to fix but will go more miles than a Cummapart would ever dream off. The 7.2 Cat is a medum duty engine it is used in tandem axle trucks.

The 5.9 Cummins is a over glorified tractor engine good for stationary equipment or stuff that doesn't require a large load.

I really laugh when I see you Dodge guys think that the Cummins is a medium duty engine. Totally brainwashed, just because the engine works in a P/U truck doesn't mean it works in a real truck.

The best medium duty engine out there is the 466 International it will outlast the ISB by a long shot.

You drive a 6.0 remember?:drinkup:

Gravel Rat
03-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Nothing wrong with the 6.0 in my truck it has been good so far. The 6.0 has some jam to it. My F-450 weighs 9300lbs empty I had it sideways on a damp paved road by stepping on it. Can't break the tires free on dry pavement I could when the truck had 19.5 racing slicks the drive tires on the truck now stick like glue. You also have 464 lbs worth of wheels and tires on the rear axle.

I have been around trucks all my life and I know that the small displacment diesel engines are not good in a medium duty. The ISB Cummins is one step above a gasser in a medium duty.

The 5.9 will suffer from high EGTs if you turn it up in a medium duty. Also a medium duty usually has a engine that is governed.

The OP should leave the 650 the way it is and suffer with the slower hill climbing power. When the truck was bought they should have thought about the horsepower and engine. You buy a gutless truck what do you expect ?

tnmtn
03-20-2008, 04:21 AM
:laugh: :drinkup: good one

Lawnworks
03-20-2008, 08:55 AM
I would consider getting some 275 injectors. Is the truck automatic or standard?

Gravel rat... get back to us when you figure out what your talking about. I guess you are a little insecure b/c your sick of looking at dodge tailgates.

Its funny you bash cummins for not being able to last over 200k when alot of powerstrokes don't make it to 100k.

I have a stock 2000 dodge 5.9 and a stock 2004 Gmc Duramax... can you guess which one doesn't downshift on the hills pulling 11k pounds?

supercuts
03-20-2008, 09:21 AM
i drive a 96' freightliner FL70 oil truck with that little 5.9L. and with 2850 gals of oil, at 7lbs a gal, thats 10 tons on top of the lightweight of the truck. im not saying im winning races, but it does its job and gets me from point A to B. and it only has a 5spd. im not in love with the 5.9L, but im not going to knock it.

TXNSLighting
03-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Ford does not put a real diesel in their trucks until the F-650, makes you wonder? The Cummins ISB 5.9L is a medium duty engine, and their are marine, agriculture, and automotive applications, the ECU,ECM programs control the HP.

so the powerstroke isnt a real engine? comeon! Its one of the best diesels on the market!

TXNSLighting
03-20-2008, 10:53 AM
I would consider getting some 275 injectors. Is the truck automatic or standard?

Gravel rat... get back to us when you figure out what your talking about. I guess you are a little insecure b/c your sick of looking at dodge tailgates.

Its funny you bash cummins for not being able to last over 200k when alot of powerstrokes don't make it to 100k.

I have a stock 2000 dodge 5.9 and a stock 2004 Gmc Duramax... can you guess which one doesn't downshift on the hills pulling 11k pounds?

the Duramax? If it was an LBZ it wouldnt be down shifting.

Blueribbonlawns
03-20-2008, 11:42 AM
I dont know much about what you guys are talking about but all i do know is I LOVE MY DURAMAX!!!
seems like its the only diesel that people dont complain about.

Lawnworks
03-20-2008, 12:25 PM
The duramax has a nice ride, but dang if it doesn't downshift hauling my 4k trailer and 3k tractor. My dodge won't downshift hauling 10k trailer and skid.

Lawnworks
03-20-2008, 12:26 PM
the Duramax? If it was an LBZ it wouldnt be down shifting.

yeah right... the torque on these v8s isn't there.

Blueribbonlawns
03-20-2008, 12:31 PM
How much torque does the cummins have my duramax has dont quote me on it but 667 i think :confused:

Blueribbonlawns
03-20-2008, 12:34 PM
No it's 650 at 3200 rpm

TXNSLighting
03-20-2008, 12:47 PM
yeah right... the torque on these v8s isn't there.

650 lbft of torque isnt enough? O its there alright... way more than a stock 5.9 cummins.

TXNSLighting
03-20-2008, 12:48 PM
No it's 650 at 3200 rpm

So good you got an LBZ.

Blueribbonlawns
03-20-2008, 01:11 PM
LBZ=high output right?

nosparkplugs
03-20-2008, 01:18 PM
The majority of Durmax & Powerstroke owners will "tell" you the Cummins is a inferior engine, and moreover the "dodge" truck it comes in is junk. As an EX 02 Ford F-350 owner 7.3L diesel, I can tell you that the Cummins ISB 5.9L inline 6 is the strongest, most depandable, easy to maintain true medium duty diesel on the market to date, jusk google Cummins ISB?, oh that might involve some diesel engine, education, but obiously you all know everything about diesel's, I learn something new every day I wake.
The Duramax, Aluminum heads/iron block? weak connceting rods? if you really tow trailer weight 13,500GTWR or more, you would know the DMAX is prone to overheating throwing the ECM into the "limp Mode".
The venrable powerstroke 7.3L high pressure injetors are HEUI/Cat operated, meaning that to reach 25,000PSI, the injectors use engine oil to pressurize the #2D, works good, but any oil contamination or "foaming" results in loss of power.
Powerstroke 6.4L, weak headgaskets, the variable vane turbo was prone to failure although in concept brilliant, in function flawed, the "pivot" points on the variable vane system were prone to fracture at high RPM's of the Turbo.
Powerstoke 6.0L weak headgaskets, Seimeins common rail injector replaced the HEUI injectors, but now on the 6.0 the Seimens injector pump was engineered inside of the valley of the rear engine, making service high$, left to removing the cab from the frame, Second TWIN turbo's result more complicated systems, the twin turbo intake air charge is larger, but now hotter, Ford did not truely address the High heat intake charge, small Plastic intercooler on the 6.0, resulting in a overheating engine?

all Duramax and Ford Diesels have glow pugs, and injector service requires removal of the tappet covers result overall higher cost of ownership.

From a purely engineering standpoint a Inline engine will have 30% less moving parts, than a opposing 90 degree engine, result no internal balancing required, were as a 90 degree v engine is constantly pulling on the crank. An inline 6 can run without a harmoinc balancer?

Cummins ISB 5.9L medium Duty diesel used for light/medium duty trucks, agriculture, marine, public transportation MATA buses, stationary applications.

Cummins has remained true with the 5.9L ISB medium duty diesel engine: the iron block/iron head 24valve with intake heater grid, instead of glowplugs. Fuel injectors are accesable with removal of tappet cover, the simple In-line straight 6 is the strongest, most depandable, lowest cost of onwership diesel on the market to date.

Cummins was forced to change to a 6.7L displacment to meet EPA tier 3 emission requirments for diesel engines, Cummins has already meet the EPA's non-mandatory 2010 diesel emission requirements. What does that mean, Duramax, and International have only meet the EPA 2008 standards, resulting in more engine changes to meet the final EPA 2010 diesel emission laws.

A cummins 6.7 still a 24 valve ISB diesel engine, single Variable geometry Holister Turbo, that uses a soild turbine wheel, and slides the whole wheel assembly inside the turbo housing, resulting in a smaller area or air volume at start-up, and increases the housing air volume as needed. The only addition to the onriginal Cummins ISB is a new Seimens ECM,ECU cooled EGR intake, and the Holset VGT is now liquid cooled

Let the rebuttals begin

Some cold hard to digest facts for Cummins haters
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FZX/is_10_67/ai_92586543

Blueribbonlawns
03-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Hey i have nothing wrong with cummins i was just pointing out the torque of the duramax and i hope that what ever they have to do to it it wont ruien the reputation.

Lawnworks
03-20-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't care what the numbers say... the duramax is a nice truck to drive but it just doesn't have the balls a cummins does.

nosparkplugs
03-20-2008, 02:23 PM
The Durmax is pushing the stock internals at 650ftlbs, a aftermaket chip, exhaust, methane/propane etc, the Duramax becomes the Duracrap. Just pick a issue of Diesel Power Magazine, the advertisements for aftermarket Durmax internals speaks volume. To reach a 1,000ftlbs a Cummins does not need any internal modifications, chip/injectors FASS system, maybe a fire-ring or O-ring head gasket simply, no internal engine modifications. The Durmax you have to have deep pockets to get over 1,000ftlbs, so at the stock level? the Cummins is the under rated, underdog, just what I like you either love that Cummins "singer sewing machine" or hate them. I just love pulling up to the Durmax LCO, who enjoy poking a "sleeping bear", I have yet to get beat hauling a trailer regardless of size or weight by a Powerstroke or Duramax, heck sometimes I am heavier, and still come out ahead? Oh that never happens right?

Oh hear we go, I don't care what the numbers say, the Duramax is a nice engine Just dosn't have the "balls". Don't poke the "sleeping Bear/Cummins" might not like it.

nosparkplugs
03-20-2008, 02:56 PM
The Cummins ISB produces all it's torque at 1,200rpm's right were you need that low end "grunt" to get your load moving at the line or start and just continues up to 3,000 redline.

Blueribbonlawns
03-20-2008, 03:10 PM
OK like i said i have nothing wrong with cummins i just have a duramax and thats what ill stick behind i like my truck and im not going to be racing any other lco's around town with my trailer i have my truck for pulling my mowing trailer and pulling the camping trailer to go have some fun in the moutains.
Our camping trailer is a fleetwood scorpionwww.atvcolorado.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=forsale;action=display;num=1153277004
we load up a 2004 polaris 700 a 2004 polaris 600 and a 2007 polaris 500 plus 20gal of water food dog's gas the whole nine yards oh and plus a honda dirt bike at the end all loaded up the thing weighs around 8-9K and my truck does great. this is the max i will ever pull with this truck it does a awesome job at it. If you say the cummins are built better ill take your word for it because i dont know>

Gravel Rat
03-20-2008, 03:57 PM
It is freaking amazing how BRAIN WASHED you Dodge guys are I bet you guys would trade your wife for a Cummins :rolleyes:

Like I said anybody that buys a medium duty truck with a 5.9 Cummins deserves what they get. After they buy the truck they are ALWAYS asking how can you get more power out of it. Well you shouldn't have bought it :rolleyes:

Take the 5.9 out and put a 8.3 ISC in then you will have some power or shoe horn a L-10 under the hood. Quit trying to sqeeze a little motor for more power it will not last when used in a medium duty. Like I said I know one guy he runs his 5 ton truck grossly overloaded it has a 35,000lb gvw but its always 10,000lbs over that. He rebuilds the engine every 200,000kms the truck has seen 3 engines already. He climbs the hills dead slow he is already on the verge of powering out. He has a spare rebuilt 5.9 to put back into the truck and will rebuild the other 5.9 for a spare.

The ISB has a service life of 350,000kms (217,000 miles) in a medium duty the mechanics that work on the ISB laugh. One of the mechanics I know worked on Cummins engines all his life he said getting 350,000kms out of a 5.9 12valve close to its life span he says the ISB your pushing your luck. He has worked on them in Freightliner. I think I will beleive him over any of you he has over 30 years working on diesel engines. Like he said the idiots that try get big power out of the ISB are just killing their engine. He said to me he can rebuild a Cummins 5.9 in his sleep has done so many of them.

The Cummins is nothing special and never will be. They lost their biggest buyer of the 5.9 now 6.7 and that is Freighliner/Sterling. Heavy equipment is gone to in-house engines.

Like I said you guys are brainwashed so bad its unbeleiveable. You guys are in love with a engine ?

You Dodge guys fight tooth and nail over the Cummins I guess it is to make you feel your not Brainwashed. What has the 5.9 Cummins become another religion that you worship do you drink and bath in the engine oil ?

I think maybe you guys that buy medium duty trucks better get some more education about trucks before you buy. It would avoid the stupid mistakes like buying a truck with low power. You buy a fleet truck that is even more dumb. A fleet truck is spec'ed with the smallest engine possible. If they could get away with a gas engine they would.

Another think you guys that fool around with the 26000lb gvw crap. Get a proper single axle something with a real gvw. A 33,000lb or 35,000lb gvw should be bare minimum for a single axle dump. I don't know how you can haul a heavy load on a 3 ton truck.

TXNSLighting
03-20-2008, 04:30 PM
LBZ=high output right?

some what...not really. Every time the duramax is upgraded they call it somethin else. First one was lb7 01-04 second was lly 04-06, 3rd LBZ 06-07 and finally 07.5- current LMM.

TXNSLighting
03-20-2008, 04:34 PM
The majority of Durmax & Powerstroke owners will "tell" you the Cummins is a inferior engine, and moreover the "dodge" truck it comes in is junk. As an EX 02 Ford F-350 owner 7.3L diesel, I can tell you that the Cummins ISB 5.9L inline 6 is the strongest, most depandable, easy to maintain true medium duty diesel on the market to date, jusk google Cummins ISB?, oh that might involve some diesel engine, education, but obiously you all know everything about diesel's, I learn something new every day I wake.
The Duramax, Aluminum heads/iron block? weak connceting rods? if you really tow trailer weight 13,500GTWR or more, you would know the DMAX is prone to overheating throwing the ECM into the "limp Mode".
The venrable powerstroke 7.3L high pressure injetors are HEUI/Cat operated, meaning that to reach 25,000PSI, the injectors use engine oil to pressurize the #2D, works good, but any oil contamination or "foaming" results in loss of power.
Powerstroke 6.4L, weak headgaskets, the variable vane turbo was prone to failure although in concept brilliant, in function flawed, the "pivot" points on the variable vane system were prone to fracture at high RPM's of the Turbo.
Powerstoke 6.0L weak headgaskets, Seimeins common rail injector replaced the HEUI injectors, but now on the 6.0 the Seimens injector pump was engineered inside of the valley of the rear engine, making service high$, left to removing the cab from the frame, Second TWIN turbo's result more complicated systems, the twin turbo intake air charge is larger, but now hotter, Ford did not truely address the High heat intake charge, small Plastic intercooler on the 6.0, resulting in a overheating engine?

all Duramax and Ford Diesels have glow pugs, and injector service requires removal of the tappet covers result overall higher cost of ownership.

From a purely engineering standpoint a Inline engine will have 30% less moving parts, than a opposing 90 degree engine, result no internal balancing required, were as a 90 degree v engine is constantly pulling on the crank. An inline 6 can run without a harmoinc balancer?

Cummins ISB 5.9L medium Duty diesel used for light/medium duty trucks, agriculture, marine, public transportation MATA buses, stationary applications.

Cummins has remained true with the 5.9L ISB medium duty diesel engine: the iron block/iron head 24valve with intake heater grid, instead of glowplugs. Fuel injectors are accesable with removal of tappet cover, the simple In-line straight 6 is the strongest, most depandable, lowest cost of onwership diesel on the market to date.

Cummins was forced to change to a 6.7L displacment to meet EPA tier 3 emission requirments for diesel engines, Cummins has already meet the EPA's non-mandatory 2010 diesel emission requirements. What does that mean, Duramax, and International have only meet the EPA 2008 standards, resulting in more engine changes to meet the final EPA 2010 diesel emission laws.

A cummins 6.7 still a 24 valve ISB diesel engine, single Variable geometry Holister Turbo, that uses a soild turbine wheel, and slides the whole wheel assembly inside the turbo housing, resulting in a smaller area or air volume at start-up, and increases the housing air volume as needed. The only addition to the onriginal Cummins ISB is a new Seimens ECM,ECU cooled EGR intake, and the Holset VGT is now liquid cooled

Let the rebuttals begin

Some cold hard to digest facts for Cummins haters
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FZX/is_10_67/ai_92586543

wow... you just showed how much you know... The 6.4 is the current powerstroke big guy... the 6.0 is the 03-07 one. good gosh...6.4 is the common rail diesel. and does not have the same weak head gaskets thank you. Not a cummins hater herei love the cummins. i also love the duramax and powerstroke. im a diesel guy. I like them all.

TXNSLighting
03-20-2008, 04:36 PM
o and its piezo injectors big guy.

nosparkplugs
03-20-2008, 04:37 PM
What are your driving, and the Powerplant, I am a Christian, no my wife hates Diesel's still, but agree's that diesels, and Cummins has the lowest cost of ownership for our LC buisness. The Cummins ISB is on Wards top 10 engine list, oh Ward referes to the Cummins ISB as MEDIUM DUTY, all time best diesel engine's, regardless of what "we" think, no Duramax, International, Hino, freightliner has graced the top ten list?. Cecil Cummins proved his diesel engine design was far superior, it was even banned from Indy racing in the 30's. The sheer numbers of aging Cummins ISB's in application use, 350,000 miles before overhaul pretty good track record IMO?, would keep a Cummins mechanic busy, not going to hear any of the good stories around here though. Like I said my 7.3L nickled & dimed me until the day I sold it, and a underpowered slug compared to the Cummins ISB , maybe it is a cult following, but I found out the hardway, my first diesel was a Chevrolet, then International, and now the Holy Grail of Diesel Power Cummins ISB 5.9L.

TXNSLighting
03-20-2008, 04:44 PM
What are your driving, and the Powerplant, I am a Christian, no my wife hates Diesel's still, but agree's that diesels, and Cummins has the lowest cost of ownership for our LC buisness. The Cummins ISB is on Wards top 10 engine list, oh Ward referes to the Cummins ISB as MEDIUM DUTY, all time best diesel engine's, regardless of what "we" think, no Duramax, International, Hino, freightliner has graced the top ten list?. Cecil Cummins proved his diesel engine design was far superior, it was even banned from Indy racing in the 30's. The sheer numbers of aging Cummins ISB's in application use, 350,000 miles before overhaul pretty good track record IMO?, would keep a Cummins mechanic busy, not going to hear any of the good stories around here though. Like I said my 7.3L nickled & dimed me until the day I sold it, and a underpowered slug compared to the Cummins ISB , maybe it is a cult following, but I found out the hardway, my first diesel was a Chevrolet, then International, and now the Holy Grail of Diesel Power Cummins ISB 5.9L.

yeh the 6.0 was on your wards top ten list. So there ya go.

nosparkplugs
03-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Oh, sorry it's a 6.4L or 6.0 still have head gasket problems, Diesel power just put a moderate chip in one blew the head gaskets oh they had to sperate the body from the frame. 6.4L requires APR head studs & aftermarket headgasket for a chip. The 6.0 & 6.4 are both embarresments to Ford & International, Ford is parting it's lucrative diesel relationship with International over Warranty work on the 6.0 and 6.4L. Regarless the 6.0 was a failure, and within a year RD developed the 6.4L gets confusing with so may soild International Diesels to choose from take your pick?

TXNSLighting
03-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Oh, sorry it's a 6.4L or 6.0 still have head gasket problems, Diesel power just put a moderate chip in one blew the head gaskets oh they had to sperate the body from the frame. 6.4L requires APR head studs & aftermarket headgasket for a chip. The 6.0 & 6.4 are both embarresments to Ford & International, Ford is parting it's lucrative diesel relationship with International over Warranty work on the 6.0 and 6.4L. Regarless the 6.0 was a failure, and within a year RD developed the 6.4L gets confusing with so may soild International Diesels to choose from take your pick?

I wish you made sense...it would be easier to read your posts. Your reminding me of travelin trees. talks alot, but has no idea whats bein talked about. you know the cummins pretty good but thats about it.

nosparkplugs
03-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Cummins continues to dominate the Medium Duty diesel segment with the Cummins ISB 5.9L the words hurt for the Duramax/Powerstroke owners, MEDIUM DUTY with a Cummins ISB. Why did GM sell it's Medium Duty engine rights to International this year?. No more Duracrap in Medium duty trucks. Also Ford & international diesel's long term engine contract is done, Ford is designing it's own diesel engines now?
Hears the proof in the Pudding, TLL350, "shows how much you know" thats your "signature" quote or comeback on LawnSite? huh

http://wardsdealer.com/searchresults/?terms=Cummins+5.9L&sort=r&x=10&y=5

Dec 30, 2003, By Bill Visnic, WardsAuto.com
With DaimlerChrysler AG's "Cummins 600" 5.9L turbodiesel earning a win in this year's Ward's 10 Best Engines competition, it's official: in each of the last three years, there's been an all-new or significantly revised medium-truck diesel engine

TXNSLighting
03-20-2008, 05:15 PM
My god you dont listen very well..i didnt say anything about the duramax. I said the 6.0 was one of wards 10 best in 2003 or 4. I dont remember which. but it was ahead of the cummins that year. For god sakes i like the cummins get off it.

nosparkplugs
03-20-2008, 05:45 PM
LOL, you sound like my wife.*trucewhiteflag*

Marek
03-20-2008, 06:00 PM
What about that poor excuse of a truck they put that motor in?

TXNSLighting
03-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Not even close there. you need to just calm down. anyone count how many times he said cummins ISB 5.9??

nosparkplugs
03-20-2008, 06:22 PM
For what it's worth this 02 Dodge 2500, has out pulled both a F-350 7.3L dually, and the Durmax any model to date. The "truck" Cummins has choosen to put the Cummins in has held up well this is an 02 model all you hear going down the interstate at 85MPH is the Turbo whistle, which is louder than stock, which is due to the aftermaket S&B diesel performance intake. Let the bashing begin on my Dodge beater truck.

sorry pictures did not take.

nosparkplugs
03-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Here they are

nosparkplugs
03-20-2008, 06:30 PM
not loading gotta run will post later

supercuts
03-20-2008, 06:39 PM
this is stupid, who cares? better yet, why am i reading it?

TXNSLighting
03-20-2008, 06:41 PM
i know!!! This guy is somethin else!!

nosparkplugs
03-20-2008, 07:16 PM
still wont load

Gravel Rat
03-20-2008, 07:30 PM
You want Cummins power here is one of the best Cummins engines ever made

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrzNfjh3NA4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWcOoP9ukdU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbzP_ZhzDds

Here is some real power which you can't beat Cat for

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvDYFq6f-w4

nosparkplugs
03-20-2008, 07:35 PM
nice links gravelyrat,

best I could find of the 02 beater, best made engine & truck como I have come across, cab is airtight with even a 4" straight exhaust you just hear the turbo whistle on the interstate no drone. Yah it's a piece compared to your Duramax's, yah it pulls trees down

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/rig1.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/Cummins.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/Firestoneriderite1.jpg

Blueribbonlawns
03-20-2008, 10:30 PM
you know more about diesels than i do so what will a straight piping do for mpg's and HP

Marek
03-20-2008, 10:45 PM
whats the air bag for? I thought you had a real truck !

KTM
03-20-2008, 10:48 PM
You can never mention the words Cummins, Powerstroke, Duramax with out it turning into a which one's better fight. thread started out, can I tweak my engine in my F650. Seriously there all awesome engines in light duty trucks.

hosejockey2002
03-20-2008, 11:29 PM
thread started out, can I tweak my engine in my F650. Seriously there all awesome engines in light duty trucks.

Everybody seemed to forget that we are talking about an F650, a real truck, doing real work. And before anybody jumps up and down and screams "but I tow my dump trailer or skid steer blah blah blah with my F350", with the possible exception of hotshot work (which is mostly highway) the Cummins ISB, PSD or Duramax has a MUCH easier life under the hood of a pickup than in a medium duty truck. In a medium duty application, full throttle is applied routinely, and with the entry level engines (Cummins ISB) full throttle is necessary to just keep up with traffic when loaded heavily. You don't do that in a pickup, unless you want to go 80 mph by the next stoplight. :laugh: There's a reason that the small diesels are "detuned" in the MDTs, because continuous full throttle application at the higher power levels like the pickups have greatly reduces engine life. You can "crank up" the power in a MDT, but you will most likely pay the price.

In a sidebar, I drove school buses for a couple years (about 28K loaded) powered by mostly Cummins ISB engines at 210 hp. They have decent performance on the flat, run around 40 mph up a 6% grade, and are quiet and smooth. However, your foot is on the floor as often or not, and when these buses get around 100K on them they get hard to start cold, smoke a lot and lose power as the engine starts to wear.

On the other hand, in my full time job (fire dept) our fire engines have Detroit Series 60 motors, 12.7 liter with 470 hp and 1600 ft./lbs of torque. They weigh 35-40K, and get driven extremely hard. With over 100K and 12,000 hours on the engines they still run like new. In an over-the-road application they will last 1,000,000 miles pulling 80K. Therein lies the difference between the Cummins ISB type motors and the heavy duty diesels. The ISB may be a terrific pickup truck motor (IMO the best of the "big three"), but in the "real truck" world, there is a reason they are just a lower-end, base engine.

nosparkplugs
03-20-2008, 11:37 PM
KTM, the year of the Cummins will dictate how much hp & torque can be extracted from the ECM, you can "stack" the Cummins with stages of power through just ECM programs, this is depending on the engine generation, and fuel injector pump type, and the (LP) lift pump, for moderate gains a programer, new 4" or 5" or 6" exhaust, and intake are good starts for a work truck.

Gravel Rat
03-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Yup over fuel it and watch a major melt down :laugh:

For one your turning 22.5 rubber your turning a 16 inch ring gear and a whole bunch of other heavier mass.

Go ahead crank up a 5.9 Cummins in a F-650 see how long it will last :hammerhead:

nosparkplugs
03-21-2008, 01:17 AM
it's a free country last time I checked, and with moderate programining the ISB will actually perform better in the F-650, without a "melt down". AMSOIL makes a fully synthetic 75W-140 extreme gear lube for rear differentials use it myself in a 7quart aftermarket diff cover, AMSOIL fully synthetic AME 12TBN 15w-40 heavy duty marine diesel lubricant will keep the Cummins cool, and for extended use, and performance a Dual By-pass oil filtration unit, traps dirt particles down to 2 micron's in size, stopping the damaging effects of diesel soot, and virtually no engine wear. I have over 27,000 miles on my oil, got the offical oil analysis, started out 12TBN now 9TBN, thats while towing 13,500GTWR Kubota MX6800 4x4 tractor loader & landpride bushog & gooseneck and extensive idling while right of way bushogging 110 degree memphis heat. I am still running the same Amsoil engine lubricant that I put in the cummins last year!!!

Gravel Rat
03-21-2008, 02:06 AM
You have no clue do you :laugh:

A 5.9 Cummins is like powering the truck with a Briggs & Stratton. It does the job and thats about it.

Sythetic gear lube does nothing to make turning 22.5 rubber easier. A 21,000lb diff holds almost 5 gallons of oil.

The only synthetic engine oil approved for the Cummins is Extreme Blue made by Valvoline.

So can the original poster sue you for damages for you reccommending turning up his engine in the F-650 because you said the engine would take it :laughing:

TXNSLighting
03-21-2008, 10:05 AM
You want Cummins power here is one of the best Cummins engines ever made

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrzNfjh3NA4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWcOoP9ukdU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbzP_ZhzDds

Here is some real power which you can't beat Cat for

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvDYFq6f-w4

That last video was bad!! Thats quite impressive for that thing to pull that hill with that load! CAT power!

Gravel Rat
03-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Cats have always been known to smoke black but the one in the Black Stalion Western Star is really over fueled.

The truck I once drove was 3306 power it belched out the black real bad and it wasn't turned up.

This beats a 5.9 Cummins anyday of the week and one of the most reliable I-6 diesels built

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJfCqYsV1_o

nosparkplugs
03-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. SS 2301-1312 (1982), and general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of product (or any other article) unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the warranty.

Cummins only can recommend 15w-40 oil for the 5.9L ISB, Cummins does not refer to any brand of engine oil by name.

Gravel Rat
03-22-2008, 12:10 AM
The Cummins dealer in B.C. only sells and recomends the Valvoline Extreme blue and the fleet guard filters.

I only use Delo I never was a beleiver in Amsoil they sure advertise alot and try make claims it is a bunch of hogwash.

nosparkplugs
03-22-2008, 02:25 PM
We have some clarification now? their is only one: Cummins ISB medium duty classification; regardless of the truck or application the ECM can be modified from the Factory setting; which are set to meet EPA emission laws, and maximize engine life. With the addition of: fuel pressure, egt, boost psi, and transmission temp, a "on the Fly" tuner or "chip" would show a HP & torque gain, with some improvement in MPG depending on level of tune & load on engine.
We all know the Cummins ISB is used in many applications: military, public transportation, school buses, emergency power generators agriculture. Many people have responded of how their employer, or department uses the Cummins ISB, what many have failed to mention or realize the engine is public property, you have no vested interest nor do you care how many miles it can perform like the day it was new; however with routine daily abuse as posted. Somehow? the Cummins makes it to 250,000 or 350,000 miles before death with nothing more than conventional maintenance, if that? If a private owner exceeds Cummins API engine lubricant recommendations, oil filters, oil filter systems, engine coolant, fuel additives, drivetrain lubricants & grease. It should be fair to say the Engine will out perform the Public abuse it has received throughout the world?
We all have that dream "high dollar" diesel powerplant? no other medium duty diesel for the money can compare to a Cummins ISB