PDA

View Full Version : servicemagic.com????

Icemanku
03-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Have any of you guys used this before? They just called me but I dropped the call.

srqlawn
03-19-2008, 04:34 PM
I worked with a company about two years ago and we were signed up with Service Magic. I cannot remember the cost of it, but we probably got 2-5 leads a month from it.....for landscape projects. It really depends on how many other companies in your area are signed up for it.

Icemanku
03-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Anyone else know about this? I really need 20+ account by this time next month.

Lawn-Sharks
03-24-2008, 09:15 AM
I was approached by service magic. The way it works is they do a background check on your company to make sure you are a legal operating business then once they approve you the this is what it cost you...If they send you a lead for mowing,landscaping, mulch ect. it cost you $9-15per lead!! and their sending that same lead to other LCO's up to 5 of them! and even if you dont get the job you still pay for the lead. Also the way they work is they send those "LEADS" to you all month long and it could get high in the numbers and you have to pay weather you check out their leads they send to you or not.So basicly you could go broke in a month or to just paying them..I told them if i could try it free for a month i would consider using their service they said "NO" well how about a week then "NO" I laughed and said thats what i thought you cant even back up the service you providing with a free trial to prove yourselves so dont bother me with your emails or calls anymore!! I dont know of anybody in my area having luck with their services but im doing fine with out them. Also a lot of their leads for work they send you are also one time deals.. example a lead may be = yard clean up ,1 time mow, mulch job, just an estimate for work Ect. I hope this helps i dont think you will pick up 20 accounts throu their service. well maybe if they wern't sending that same info to 5 other LCO's and the customer knows that their going to get more then one offer for work so it seem like you will have to lowball you @ss off to get work

CrimsonLawnCare
03-24-2008, 10:09 AM
lol ya the landscaping lead is like $50 dollars and you might not even get it, plus there real trouble to deal with on the phone, i looked into it, big mistake the guy wouldnt stop harrassing me for like 2 months.... i wouldnt do it if i were you

BPC
03-24-2008, 10:29 AM
I use them irrigation referrals. I pay $9 or $12 depending on the type of lead I get. I had some problems with them when I first signed, a server error on their end, not telling me some of the costs for other services they wanted to sign me up for, and I am not overly excited about how their lead credits work. It takes 7 days to get credit on a lead so no matter what you are paying for a bogus lead since they bill weekly. That just means that you don't have to pay for the next one.

Yes you have to go against other contractors and you get billed even if you don't land the job. The way I look at it is even if I don't land every job it still works out in the end because the leads are so cheap and honestly if I get to meet a customer and I can't sell them on the job against my competition I had to have done something wrong.

Lawn-Sharks
03-24-2008, 11:21 AM
In my opinion for someone trying to get 20 long gevity customers fast throu service magic would be a waste of money , gas & time. Now someone that has been in business for a lengh of time where people reconize your name then that company might benifit from their services.. I almost used their services when i first started my biz and after sitting down and doing the math it just wasnt going to work for my company. I have since then have worked hard and doubled my equipment and picked up 2 property management companys and a bunch of resi accounts and im even bidding on City work..I am not successful by any means but i know my company is doing great with out them.

BPC
03-24-2008, 11:48 AM
It is a little different on my end since I am primarily an irrigation company and the residential market had taken a major dive. I have my monthly commercial contracts but the residential end has almost completely dropped off for me. Service magic only does residential referrals so that helps with that end of things.

On an off topic note I think I have seen you guys down there in Titusville. I use to maintain the irrigation over at the old FISERV building and the Meadowridge common area.

GELAWNS
03-24-2008, 12:56 PM
We have used them for almost 2 years now. A couple of things to note. You can set a dollar amount limit on leads, to budget for it. I think you can cap at $100 a month for Market and $100 for Exact leads. Exact leads will only go to your company. Also, it is not just residential. We've received leads from companies, investors, HOA's, Non-profits, etc. through them. It is all web based through search engines and their website.

shane mapes
03-24-2008, 02:05 PM
i have used them for 6 weeks now. i have had 7 calls and signed 4 , one was a person just looking for pricing and the other two were not in my scope of work. i have yet to ask for a refund on the 2 . but i plan on it this week.

Lawn-Sharks
03-24-2008, 07:17 PM
It is a little different on my end since I am primarily an irrigation company and the residential market had taken a major dive. I have my monthly commercial contracts but the residential end has almost completely dropped off for me. Service magic only does residential referrals so that helps with that end of things.

On an off topic note I think I have seen you guys down there in Titusville. I use to maintain the irrigation over at the old FISERV building and the Meadowridge common area.

That was us we have several accounts in that area :dancing:

Icemanku
03-24-2008, 11:32 PM
i have used them for 6 weeks now. i have had 7 calls and signed 4 , one was a person just looking for pricing and the other two were not in my scope of work. i have yet to ask for a refund on the 2 . but i plan on it this week.

How much did those leads set you back?

Icemanku
03-24-2008, 11:33 PM
In my opinion for someone trying to get 20 long gevity customers fast throu service magic would be a waste of money , gas & time. Now someone that has been in business for a lengh of time where people reconize your name then that company might benifit from their services.. I almost used their services when i first started my biz and after sitting down and doing the math it just wasnt going to work for my company. I have since then have worked hard and doubled my equipment and picked up 2 property management companys and a bunch of resi accounts and im even bidding on City work..I am not successful by any means but i know my company is doing great with out them.

Why don't you consider yourself successful?

shane mapes
03-25-2008, 01:29 AM
How much did those leads set you back?

the leads were exact leads so they were $12.00 per lead . not bad , the ones i signed were for one year contracts for weekly service. we mow all year long here in northern cal.

MowHouston
03-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Already a thread on this one:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=214254

Everything you need to know there.

My opinion, if you are going to pay for online leads, you might as well use google adwords.

Service Magic is probably going to charge you $12 per LEAD (which doens't even translate to an ESTIMATE much less an actual customer) you're going to have a conversion percentage of leads to customers and since they are sending those leads to up to 2 other companies, you're already competing from the start. Lowballer city.

Not to mention, even Service Magic uses google adwords to even get those customers to their site to see YOUR information in the first place. All you are doing is paying a middle man.

Got a $200 budget?

Service Magic = $99 set up for the first month. Now you have a $100 budget. Divided by $12 per lead = 8 whole leads. I doubt you even get 50% as regular customers.

Google = Start off with $1.50 max per click (You may even be able to bid lower. You only need to be in the 3-5 spots) = 133-150 clicks. Those, lets say, 140 clicks still arent leads, but about 25% of them will be requesting estimates (35 estimates). Honestly, as long as I follow up with these estimates, about 90% of them become customers. (possibly 30 customers)

So you say you need 20 customers within a month? I think google is the way to go, just make sure to set up a budget so you dont go over.

Here is another thread about superpages.com, dont use them either, but it has some info about google adwords including screenshots from my google account so you can kinda see how effective it is.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=214207&page=2

Only drawback to adwords is you need to make sure you have an informative site that the customer feels comfortable with.

I actually just paused my campaign with google because I almost outgrew myself too quickly. I'm pretty much set and maxed out until I can get a bigger and better mower to be more productive :)

Also, dont rule out www.craigslist.org. Advertise on it EVERY DAY, three times a day if you have to. Lots of folks on here will shittalk it but I gained a fair amount of quality customers from that site too, and its free.

r_rivera7272
03-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Guys, here's what I mostly hear about ServiceMagic.

1) It seems tough hold of the leads. Some people actually spend a lot of time "chasing" down these leads.
2) When you do, most are just shopping around. With ServiceMagic people fill out forms and wait for contractor's to call. In my mind they're not very serious candidates if you get my drift.
3) If they do, they seem to be in a bidding war (selling to 6-7 people in the area).

ServiceMagic gets their leads from being up on the front page of the search engines. Type in "greensboro landscaping" and go down the list. You'll see them there. They get people to fill out their form and turns it around and sells them to us. Try it and see.

Now, I got a call from a guy named Chris from some company that helps small businesses get on the front page with a guarantee (same page as ServiceMagic itself).

And it's not Adwords. I found that Adwords aren't as effective as the Local and Organic listings (see for yourself. Read the CONCLUSION @ http://www.seomoz.org/blog/the-disco...s-seo-spending).

Now because I was SEO savvy and was already on the front page, I didn't need their services but they offered a reasonable price of $145/month to be on the front page with no contract!

If you guys are interested send me a PM. I can try to see if I can remember what company it was. But I know LS doesn't want us posting stuff like this.