PDA

View Full Version : Is this genius or nuts

paul vroom
03-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi Guys, has anyone tried this. I have a 2000lb winch that I am going to mount onto the 4x4. I will attach the winch hook to a chain on the plywood floor, I am going to have the 4x4's attached into a steel 4x4 sleeve that is going to be welded to the floor and toward the top of the rack. The winch will pich up the front of the floor and the back by the opening will be free floating, thus I will have created a dump, maybe. This is an older pic of the truck, I have a box on it now for leaf pickups, I am hoping this will save the time of unloading the leaves by hand. Until I can afford a real dump. What do you think? Will it work?

cgaengineer
03-19-2008, 07:08 PM
It will work fine until the angle changes on the posts and the entire assembly bends. The action on a dump is radial. The winch is also very slow.

ClippersLC
03-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Hey its a start. i think its a pretty clever idea, raking anything downwards is better than trying to rake upwards or on a flat surface... i think it should do pretty good for now, clever thinking :cool2:

paul vroom
03-19-2008, 07:36 PM
cgaengineer Thanks but Is it going to bend where it is floating? I would think that the winch will be lifting it straight up and the other end will drag.

Thanks clipper. I will post pics or a report on why it did not work.

Sweet Tater
03-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Check out the pics of my trailer. I have a ery simular dump installed on my trailer.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=217235
Theres a few more detail pics towards the end of the post too.

cgaengineer
03-19-2008, 07:49 PM
You would need to look a a wrecker to understand, but I will try to explain. On a wrecker they have a guide similar to your setup. The guide is on a pivot between the frame to make sure the flatbed goes back down in the same place every time. Its a similar idea to yours but with a hydraulic cylinder as the power instead of a winch.

Your idea will work if you make the either the female or the male ends of your guides pivot. You may also want to run your winch through a pulley, it would be even slower, but you would have more of a mechanical advantage thus twice the rated pull of the 2000K winch making it a 4000K winch.

If you are not using guides and simply have two holes cut through the floor you will need to open up these holes and make them larger then your fixed winch hanger which is bolted/welded to the frame underneath the bed.

Hope you understand what I am trying to describe.

cgaengineer
03-19-2008, 08:01 PM
My question is, are you going to be able to get it high enough to dump the leaves without busting maximum height requirements or is the idea just to get it to tilt enough to make removing leaves easier?

paul vroom
03-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Sweet Tater. That is pretty good. How long is the section that you lift? I was thinking of putting the winch in the front but you have it in the back. My bed is 9' so I am thinking I would have to be morer than 7' high, which I would be if the winch were up front. You did an awesome job on that.

cgaengineer
Thanks for the feedback. I like the pully idea. How slow is the winch? I have to check it out...

cgaengineer
03-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Sweet Tater. That is pretty good. How long is the section that you lift? I was thinking of putting the winch in the front but you have it in the back. My bed is 9' so I am thinking I would have to be morer than 7' high, which I would be if the winch were up front. You did an awesome job on that.

cgaengineer
Thanks for the feedback. I like the pully idea. How slow is the winch? I have to check it out...

You should be able to get the ft per minute from the maker of the winch. ARB also makes a pulley that can stand the force generated buy using this setup. This pulley is made so that the cable can be removed without having to remove the hook. You also need to check the cable strength to make sure it can handle 4000 pounds. I have a 5/16 cable on my truck and I think it is rated higher than 9000 pounds and I have pulled to the winches stall. So if your cable is 5/16 or larger you should be ok.

The winch on my truck is a Warn 9000 pound winch mounted to an ARB bull bar.

paul vroom
03-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Well I figured I would be at a height of 7' so the floor should rise to about 6.5'. That should be high enough to atleast get most of the leaves to dump. Then if need be I could use a rake to get the rest moving.

smcunningham
03-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Looks like a good idea atleast it'll probaly dump most of them and the rest will probaly come out pretty quick w/ min help/asst,
Post some pics of the completed project when your finished.

03-19-2008, 08:52 PM
I would figure out the length of the \ part of the triangle (the long side) and make the bottom deck plate your making that lenght. Then when its lifted up it will be the correct lenght so you dont have a flat spot at the end of the bed like \_

hope that made sence.

I think Tater's gotta better idea about putting it at the back, you could almost copy that design exactly.

paul vroom
03-19-2008, 09:04 PM
smcunningham I will post pics. Thanks.

Image. lol, I got ya, that was a good way to describe it. I would like to put it in the back but I dont have enough support. I would only be able to set the 4x4's into a footer. if it is up from then I can also place one up higher. I will talk to the guy doing the welding and see what he can do.... I am doing it this weekend

cgaengineer
03-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Paul, have you ever thought of just using one of those cargo unloaders...the ones you roll with a crank? For leaves it would be the ticket and alot cheaper and easier then this dump bed.

paul vroom
03-19-2008, 09:29 PM
cgaengineer I did look into it but it would not fit my bed. I spoke with them and they said it would be a "special order" then I would have had to build in the side walls which means I would have lost close to a foot. But you are right, if this does not work out and I still can not afford the real dump then I will go with that. This is also a "can I do it thing" because I have never been known as mechanically inclined, but I am getting better which is key in this biz...

deere615
03-19-2008, 09:57 PM
This sounds like a neat idea, I am looking foward to seeing pictures after it is done

paul vroom
03-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks deere. I will post them. I really was not sure if it was something I should try but if it works it would save me a lot of time and make me more money since dumping it by hand pretty much kills me. Thanks again

GCLC
03-20-2008, 03:14 AM
Do you mean adding 7' on top of the bed? That would be pretty tall. you could put some kind of pivoting arm in the middle of the cross beam that folds out of the way. You could put a pulley on it and leave the winch where ever you had planned on. I'll try to do a little drawing like Image did

|
__|__
| |
| |

And you could angle it out so from the side it would look like:

/
/
|
|

This would give you extra height and you could still go through drive through's

GCLC
03-20-2008, 03:15 AM
well, it screwed up the formatting. Hopefully you see what I mean

paul vroom
03-20-2008, 10:24 AM
GCLC I understand, that is an excellent idea. I think it would work. That would give me the greater angle so maybe most of the stuff will come out. I will post pics . Thanks for your help.

Elite LawnCare
03-20-2008, 10:47 AM
I was thinkin....Would the material fall off the sides of the plywood onto the original floor while going up? If that happens it might be a pain to get into there with a broom or something.

paul vroom
03-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Elite. Right now the truck has a box on it, I figured I would make the floor with only a half inch gap on both sides. That would prevent stuff from getting underneath and also help guide it. Again, more theory :help:

paul vroom
03-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Ya, I know what you mean, it should be interesting.

Sweet Tater
03-21-2008, 09:30 PM
The tilt part of the floor of my trailer is right at 7ft. the winch is 6ft feet high from the floor. and the hook is set back just about 1 ft so I can get a full 90 degree tilt from the floor.
a pully setup will indeed raise your weight limit for the winch. and can be done in a simular fashion as I have done on mine.

grassyguy
03-21-2008, 11:51 PM
We use a pallet and a chain. 10 minutes to unload, no hard labor, no expensive parts or materials. Have you tried this? I agree, anything to keep from unloading all those leaves manually.

GCLC
03-22-2008, 02:40 PM
You could put some sides on the part that actually dumps too.

Several guys have mentioned using a pulley to get more power, but if your just using plywood as your floor you probably won't need it because you'll probably exceed what the wood will handle. You'll probably need to use something else for the floor or not use a pulley and get more speed, just dont' load it too heavy. Sides would also give it more strength.

jdmcat
03-28-2008, 11:35 PM
so did you do it?