PDA

View Full Version : Hard Turning Cab Forward

lbmd1
11-21-2001, 08:23 PM
I have a 1997 Isuzu NPR cab forward which has just recently been giving me problems on tight turns. You know how well these things can turn, but recently I'm having problems just turning out of my driveway. On the road around curves and such, it handles fine. Only when I need to turn it hard that it gives me a problem. I just changed the belts, but no help. I'm going to flush the power steering line this saturday with a friend that's a mechanic. Don't know if the pumps going or not yet. Any ideas from those of you with mechanical knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I'll also post this in the mechanics forum as well.

Mike

strickdad
11-24-2001, 01:00 PM
i really need more info on when it started etc. is it making a whinning sound when you turn?? have you greased front end latley?? jack front end up and you should be able to turn wheels at the tire with your hand ... also check up and down movement in wheels then (king pins) let me know what you find..

CT18fireman
11-24-2001, 05:24 PM
You need to isolate whether the problem is related to power steering or to the actually mechanical components.

Lots of vehicles have variable steering that is either vacumm or electrically powered. This could be the cause of hard turning at low speeds.

Mechanically could be linkages or axle problems? Not super familiar is this truck a 4x4? If so bad hubs could be the cause. Put it on a set of heavy stands and have someone turn the wheels while you look underneath. You may be able to see a bind.

lbmd1
11-24-2001, 10:41 PM
Well it turned out to be the right king pin wasn't getting enough grease and was pretty frozen. Had to heat it up with the torch and grease the heck out of it till it worked it's way through. Funny thing is, it goes in for scheduled maintenance every 3000 and my station lubes the fittings but obviously, not well enough. Thanks for the help.

Mike