PDA

View Full Version : any lawn up to 1 acre $35.00, 2 acres 55$

bigw
03-20-2008, 01:45 AM
This is the crap that i am reading in my paper today. I swear their is over 15 adds in todays paper for lawn care and i am dumb founded by some of them. Yeah one add actually says any lawn up to 1 acre 35$ and 55$ for 2 acres. Another add say "Lawns cut dirt cheap"....now i know why my phone has cooled off lately.What do you guys to combat these dopes? Im not going to drop my pants but how do you find jobs when you have adds like this in the paper.All i can do is hope people have common sense and realize that you get what you pay for but to be honest i dont think common sense comes into play when it comes to saving money anymore.

pvs landscaping
03-20-2008, 01:48 AM
In a couple months those fools will be selling their equipment because they will be out of business. You will get their clients also.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-20-2008, 01:53 AM
My area has plenty of these. And what makes it so bad is most folks here don't care about quality, just want it done cheap which has made it very difficult to make a living anymore. I refuse to go this low, I'll throw in the towell first. I try to attract folks who want QUALITY, DEPENDABLE lawnservice and not just some fly by night. So far my plan has not worked so well in competing against these lowballers.

ACA L&L
03-20-2008, 02:03 AM
My area has plenty of these. And what makes it so bad is most folks here don't care about quality, just want it done cheap which has made it very difficult to make a living anymore. I refuse to go this low, I'll throw in the towell first. I try to attract folks who want QUALITY, DEPENDABLE lawnservice and not just some fly by night. So far my plan has not worked so well in competing against these lowballers.

Hold your ground. They can get the customer, but can they keep em?

Ric3077
03-20-2008, 02:05 AM
you don't want the customers that call those clowns anyway...they are actually helping you by saving you from bidding on these cheap customers that will never pay the right price.

verant
03-20-2008, 02:56 AM
I have one of these idiots in my area

topsites
03-20-2008, 03:48 AM

I've got an empty feeling in my stomach as well, 1/2 page newspaper ad and I've gotten 1 call so far...
I won't deny my own attitude hurt me but 1 call... maybe it's still early and I'm hoping things get better.

But ...

you don't want the customers that call those clowns anyway...they are actually helping you by saving you from bidding on these cheap customers that will never pay the right price.

This is my dilemma, how does one come out ahead?

jc1
03-20-2008, 08:07 AM
It's like spring flowers they appear early and are gone when it gets hot. Often times June and July are very busy with phone calls. By then its hot and the low priced competition out to make a few bucks has decided its not worth it. Often customers will hire from ads like those for a few seasons then they look in the phone book and call someone that is really in business.

Valk
03-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Lots of freshly laid off folks out there looking for another (ready-?!?) field to switch to...& they're NOT fully realizing the amount of hard work and deication it takes to be an artisan. April/May/June will give them a taste...and a bad taste it will be for any & all slackers. Patience & dedication are just two of the very necessary tools required for our industry.

TREEGUARD
03-20-2008, 11:22 AM
It's easy to do lawns that cheap when you have no license or insurance, workers comp any everything else that goes along with an illeagle business.

GreenN'Clean
03-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Expect to see a lot of new people out there cutting at cheaper rates this year because thousands are going to be loosing there jobs and they turn to the easiest thing to do to make money and lawn care is one of them..... People don't have the money this year as they did last year and they will either pay someone to do it cheaper or just get out and do it themselves to save money this year... This is the reality of it!!

creatived
03-20-2008, 11:45 AM
OK THEY WANT TO LOWBALL TO GET THE BUSINESS. FRUGAL CUSTOMERS THAT ARE GOING TO WANT TO SAVE SAVE SAVE PROBABLE ARE EITHER HARRY HOME OWNERS OR DONT CARE BOUT THEIR PROPERTY SO YOU DONT WANT THEM AS A CLIENT SO MUCH ANYWAY. BUT LOWBALL YOUR PRICE ON THE LAWNCUT TOO BUT UPSELL EVERYTHING ELSE UNLESS YOU JUST CUT BUT IF YOU DONT, IF THEY WANT THEIR HEDGES DONE BANG UM TREE'S REMOVED BANG UM CUT CHEAP LOCK THE PEOPLE IN THEN MAKE THE MONEY ELSEWARE. IF YOU JUST CUT CALL THE NUMBER IN TH ADD AND SEND HIM ON WILD GOOSE CHASES EVERY NOW AND THEN THEN PRANK AS A DISGRUNTLED NEIGHBOR WHOSE PROPERTY WAS DAMAGED AND YOU NEED TO SEE HIS INSURANCE BET HE DOESN'T HAVE IT. OR SELL YOUR WORK HAVE HIM SIGN A BONDED CONTRACT AND LET HIM CUT ALL YOU LAWNS DIRT CHEAP AND TAKE YOUR PRICE.:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:
COMPETITION IS HEALTHY IN THIS BUSINESS!!!!!!!

Big Bad Bob
03-20-2008, 12:38 PM
This is the crap that i am reading in my paper today. I swear their is over 15 adds in todays paper for lawn care and i am dumb founded by some of them. Yeah one add actually says any lawn up to 1 acre 35$ and 55$ for 2 acres. Another add say "Lawns cut dirt cheap"....now i know why my phone has cooled off lately.What do you guys to combat these dopes? Im not going to drop my pants but how do you find jobs when you have adds like this in the paper.All i can do is hope people have common sense and realize that you get what you pay for but to be honest i dont think common sense comes into play when it comes to saving money anymore.

Salesmanship.

Dave_005
03-20-2008, 04:31 PM

I Just Wait !, these idiots are everywhere and none of them will last a month. when it gets to Hot or to Humid or to much work they usually just stop showing up. then the homeowner will be looking for someone to do the yard who they can count on. these fly by nighters actually help to build a customer base because once a homeowner stops doing thier yards themselves and hire someone else to do it they almost never want to go back to doing it themselves. so they will keep looking around until they find someone who does a GOOD JOB and is DEPENDABLE and RELIABLE and they are willing to pay the Higher price after they get burned by the low ballers and thier usually poor work & Unreliability.

paul vroom
03-20-2008, 09:38 PM
I just started last year and there is no way I would low ball. I guess thats why I can afford to be back at it this year.

ncls
03-21-2008, 01:01 AM

Hey Big,
Congratulations on being the best landscaper you can be. I'm sure there are people who will pay top dollar for your services.

Every landscaper needs to understand his geographic location, and market. I choose to target the budget consious consumer. I run three crews, two people each. I am one of the crew members. We have almost 200 customers in a 4 city area, almost all properties are 6250 sq. ft. or less. That includes house and garage. The route is real tight. I get about 18.00 per lawn. One crew averages 4-6 per hour. Another crew does bid work, ie: Metroparks, government land, water treatment plants, etc. Quality of cut is not important.

I run 2 60" Bad Boy mowers, and one 48" Bad Boy on these. Never one complaint. Edge every other week.

My 3rd crew, which is me, does national account work, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. We have to be very detail oriented. We use a Scag walk behind, and a Walker rider on these.

I actually make more money on either of the crews, than I do on mine.

What I am trying to convey to you, is, figure out what kind of landscaper you want to be, make sure you have a target audience, then go after them.

If I'm paying someone 12.00 per hour, plus benefits, and realizing 45.00 per hour for his efforts, I'm happy. Being solo, you may need to rethink your business plan.

cpel2004
03-21-2008, 01:06 AM
It doesnt matter they wont be in business for that long. I think they charge more than that in the early 80's.

ncls
03-21-2008, 01:15 AM
this site won't let me edit my previous post, but, i have been in business since 1994. I'm not a here today, gone tomorrow, type of business.

LeGoresLawn
03-21-2008, 06:14 AM
I am new to the Business after spending the last 20 years in the Automotive industry as both a mechanic as well as in management and I learned from years of cheap customers is the ones that come in with the $15.00 oil change coupon is buying just that and only that, the cheap oil change !!! its the customer that walks in and asks for the oil change but not the price that when he needs tires he buys them, then & there, while coupon man leaves to shop the price....If the person hires the cheap guy, thats what he is getting, cheap service....I would rather have customers that want the job done right, the first time, every time and are willing to pay more for that.....I always loved the customers that came in handed me the keys and said call me when its done....not call me with a estimate.....

paul vroom
03-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Ask a homeless person how he got there. Eight out of ten will tell you they were the lowest bidder in town.

GreenN'Clean
03-21-2008, 12:05 PM
A lot of guys who are getting laid off from there jobs were only making $10-$12 bucks an hour so to cut grass for $35 that takes them an hour is still more then what they got at the regular jobs so thats why you see so many people out there doing it that cheap.... Cutting grass is not the hardest thing to do thats why you see so many illegals doing it.... You will see more and more of the low ballers this year

Mowbizz
03-21-2008, 05:26 PM
A lot of guys who are getting laid off from there jobs were only making $10-$12 bucks an hour so to cut grass for $35 that takes them an hour is still more then what they got at the regular jobs so thats why you see so many people out there doing it that cheap.... Cutting grass is not the hardest thing to do thats why you see so many illegals doing it.... You will see more and more of the low ballers this year

I agree, totally...I just started last year and the accounts were slow to come but I began late in the year and have higher hopes for this spring. This is now my business and I don't intend to fold under the pressure of lowballers.
The ads have started in my area with statements like.."will beat any estimates..just show them" That's an undercutting lowballer in my book..! Someone tries to give an honest estimate and he's ready to undercut it sight unseen...:mad:

F Y P M
03-21-2008, 05:56 PM
this issue can be debated forever and ever IMO lowballers keep everthing in check, just like having more than 1 cell phone or cable provider. It keeps from monopolies forming and in the long run only the strong will survive. I wish we had no competition but that is why we live in America.

lawnkingforever
03-21-2008, 06:43 PM
I do think it will be a rough year, but I won't know for sure until I start mowing in April. Responses to ads have been a little slow this year, but once the weather breaks things might start to look up. Many people are not even worried about their lawns yet in this part of the country. Still grey every day and growth is still dormant. With 2 weeks of advertising, I have landed 2 new accounts from ads and 1 large account from referral.

woodbutcher44
03-21-2008, 06:48 PM
I eat burgers most of the time.
But I do get lobster once in a while.
And the sea food place does not even do coupon lol