PDA

View Full Version : Legalzoom price seems high

theguynextdoor
03-20-2008, 03:59 AM
I just filled out the questionaire with legalzoom.com to file for an LLC. They quoted me 612 dollars for the economy (cheapest package). This includes the tax id registration and what not. New York state charges 210 dollar filing fee. Do other states do that? Is this a good price or should I just do it directly through the state to save some money?

john3253
03-20-2008, 05:34 AM
Every state charges different filing fees. Louisiana only charges a 75.00 fee for LLC. It does not take a rocket scientist to do it yourself if you want to save money, and it is not a difficult process either.

The tax id number is free. Just go to www.irs.gov you will see a link for small businesses and it will explain how to apply. That takes amount 15 minutes and you get your number instantly.

Like most people starting out you probably want to minimze your expenses and the best way to do that in this case is do it yourself. Good Luck!!

srqlawn
03-20-2008, 09:32 AM
It is a relatively painless process to do it yourself. I would recommend going by a book store (in the business section) and thumbing through a book on how to create an LLC in New York. This will get you more comfortable with the process when you do it online. Even if you are still uncomfortable doing it yourself, there are places much more cheaper than that.

As for the ID number, john3253 is right, just hit the IRS.GOV website. It is way easier now to do it than it was 2 years ago. You pretty much just answer a series of questions and you get the number instantly.

Good luck

AintNoFun
03-20-2008, 10:10 AM
someone has to pay for all the commercials they keep playing on TV.....