PDA

View Full Version : help with small flowerbed job

stevenf
03-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Picked up an account today and she also wants an estimate on cleaning out her flowerbed and adding flowers to perk it up a bit for the summer.
I was thinking a few small annuals but have no idea what should be done. Do you guys usually plant them all compact together in the most visible parts of the flowerbed or do you plant them spaced out throughout the bed? A few pictures would be nice if yall have any of your small jobs.
This isnt a huge profit account so I plan to make a decent amount from upsells like this. I need this to look some what impressive for such a small job.

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
03-20-2008, 01:46 PM
stagger the flowers dont just line them up. add colors and make sure that they fit in with the position of the flower beds. another words sun, shade etc etc. good luck

creatived
03-20-2008, 02:32 PM
ASK HER FAVORITE COLORS THEN AND BUY A COUPLE FLATS DONT OVER SATURATE THE BED WITH ONE COLOR DARK MULCH BRINGS OUT THE COLOR MORE, IF THE BED IS AROUND THE HOUSE EDGE IT REAL CLEAN AND BUNCH THE ANNUALS TOGETHER TOWARDS THE FRONT OF THE BED, MAKE SURE YOU OBSERVE THE CONDITIONS DIRECT SUN PARTIAL SHADE ETC. WATER IS ANOTHER ISSUE IS YOU WANT TO ADD TO IT AFTER THAT DO IT WORK FROM THE FRONT BACK LOW TO HIGH IN HEIGHT OF FLOERS AND PLANTS. TRY TO USE SPECIES OF FLOWERS AND PLANTS THAT ARE NATIVE TO YOUR AREA. TAKE PICS AND MAKE A SMALL SIGN PUT IT IN THE GROUND FOR THE WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD TO SEE ASK HER FIRST AND IF SHE LETS YOU GIVE HER SOME FLOWERS FOR FREE THIS TYPE OF ADVERTISING IS PRICELESS.:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

paul vroom
03-20-2008, 08:41 PM
They also sell pre-designed beds in the nursery catalogs. Just a thought.

ed2hess
03-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Pack them as close as you can....you need around 100 plants to get any visual impact from road. If they don't have irrigation I would not plant them they won't look nice. I have a hard time keeping my commericial accounts looking nice and I am on site weeky spraying, putting miracle grow on etc etc.

stevenf
03-21-2008, 12:54 AM
I think 100 flowers might be to much, this is a 1/4 acre lot and the house is 20ft from the road with an 7-8ft wide flower bed.
Should they all be packed in the most visible part of the bed, or should I pack 10-12 together in about 4-5 different places?

paul vroom
03-21-2008, 11:13 AM
What ever you do go hardy!!

topsites
03-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Ask your customer her opinion, otherwise you're as likely to go wrong no matter how you do it... Here's what I would ask:

Would you like a crowded type of thing with lots and lots of flowers, a sparse look with few flowers, a spotted look with packs of flowers, something in between or what? What colors do you like? As for flowers, red, yellow, white, purple, and pink are the most common colors. Depending on the color of the house and if the area has mulch in it, red and pink and white look good in brown areas, where purple and yellow look better in 'green' areas, but that is my opinion so you need hers!

You have to ask, always ask tons of stupid questions, the idea of this exercise is you need in your mind the PICTURE of what they want for an end result, then there's far less chance of doing it wrong.

Peace