PDA

View Full Version : For those with a trailer storage cage.....

MikeKle
03-20-2008, 03:37 PM
I have decided to build a trailer storage cage on the front of the trailer with a lockable lid. I have designed it to sit high enough so the mowers will slide under it. I wanted some input on which way the lid should open, it seems like both ways would be somewhat cumbersome, on the trailer side you would have to climb over the mowers to get to it and on the truck side you would have to stand on the tongue. Maybe the best way is to make the lid on the front side of the box instead of the top? I really dont like these type of storage cages as they add so much weight to the trailer, but there has been a rash of thefts lately and I would be crushed to come back to the truck and find all the handheld power stuff gone! I saw a trailer made by Turf Pride that looks great, they mount it on the driverrs side front and it is totally enclosed and takes up almost the whole side of the trailer and looks to be around 4-5ft. tall! I thought about building something like that but I think the trailer would ride funny with all that weight on one side?Any suggestions would be helpful.Thanks!

okeefl
03-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Here is mine. Opens from the truck side and I can reach it w/o standing on the tongue. 24x24x76.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=1786607#post1786607

lawnspecialties
03-20-2008, 04:15 PM
You really shouldn't need to stand on the tongue to get items out. I actually recently had mine raised at a local welding shop because it was about 4"-5" too short.

Remember, you only need to get the front end, including the deck lift mechanism, underneath the cage. That shouldn't be more than 1.5'-2' high.

Ltouch
03-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Here's the cage I built this past winter during off season. I built a locking double door on the front that you can reach from both sides of the tongue but due to the lock box sometimes I have to stand on the tongue to pull out a (full)gas tank and I also put an open basket on top for storing shovels, rakes, etc.

B&D Lawn Care
03-20-2008, 10:18 PM
If you are interested I have one I'm gonna sell. It's 24 x 24 x 72, opens from the front w/ 2 chains holding the lid.. It's still mounted but I plan on taking it off here over the next coupla weeks. I'll get pics if you are interested.

MikeKle
03-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the replies, I am going to make one similar to Okeefl's, BTW I like the way you have the trimmer line holder in there too. I dont know why I didnt think about a lid that opens like that in the first place, that lid would also serve as a good work surface for field repairs. I am considering using solid sheet metal instead of expanded steel so I can have a weatherproof box, but that might be too much of a windbreak? also storing gas cans in a sealed steel box during those 100 degree days may not be a good idea! Thanks for the offer B@D Lawncare, but I already bought most of the steel and I am a pretty good welder so I can usually make everrything I need.

TXNSLighting
03-21-2008, 09:18 AM
A little old but there it is.

TXNSLighting
03-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Ha the old dodge is in it!

pclawncare
03-22-2008, 08:25 PM
I have one similar to okeefs and you will like having a work space there it works great for refuling or adjusting a chain saw chain or minor mechanical work on small equipment sure beats bending over working on them on the ground

CutnEdgLwnCare
08-09-2009, 03:32 PM
L Touch

I just came across your post from a year ago and was wondering if you would be interested in making another cage just as this one. What would that cost.