PDA

View Full Version : Putting flyers in newspaper box legal??

loupiscopolandscaping
03-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Hey guys, just curious is it legal to put flyers in newspaper boxes?? my guess is yes, but im not sure. I've read on this site a lot of people do this, but that doesnt mean its legal. Any input please feel free. thank you:cool2:

Mark Bogart
03-21-2008, 09:27 AM
It's not against the law to put them in newspaper boxes. To me a person is lowering there standards if they go this route. How many people have a newspaper delivered to them now a days with the internet?

Raven386
03-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Every single house on my street gets a newspaper... the only thing is, the people who deliver are too lazy and never put them in the paper boxes they just throw them from their car. but thats just my street, I've seen others that actually take the time to use those.

paul vroom
03-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Raven. Last year I bought clear little bags with handles and a bulk of flower bulbs. I put the flier in the bag with a bulb (for weight) with a small 1x3 piece of paper instruction on planting the bulb and had the kids put them on door knobs. You could canvas choice neighborhoods this way. Neighborhood kids also come cheap.

Ravenwood Landscaping
03-21-2008, 02:49 PM
It's not against the law to put them in newspaper boxes. To me a person is lowering there standards if they go this route. How many people have a newspaper delivered to them now a days with the internet?

I disagree totally. The newpaper boxes are attached to the mailbox. You still get mail right? By putting the ad in the newspaper box, I don't have to pay postage, nor take the time to address to the cards myself and I get to target the exact neighborhoods I want with no extra cost. Yes I have to do it myself, but when starting out in the business like this person obviously is, it's low cost to drive to the neighborhoods and you get to choose where you want to go. Is it as personal as door to door sales? No, but it is effective. I've gotten great response from this type of advertising.

loupiscopolandscaping
03-21-2008, 02:54 PM
thanx but sorry, we've been in business for 34 yrs. its just a question.lol

P.Services
03-21-2008, 02:56 PM
from my experience i have been told its not illegal but you can be fined by the company that owns the paper box you are putting them in.

Ravenwood Landscaping
03-21-2008, 03:12 PM

My mistake. I apologize. What the heck are you wasting time putting things in boxes for?:laugh: You should sitting back by the pool making everyone make money for you!!

I don't think it's illegal and I doubt you'll have any trouble from the newspaper company. I think it would take for you to block the delivery of the paper for anything to happen.

Mowbizz
03-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Raven. Last year I bought clear little bags with handles and a bulk of flower bulbs. I put the flier in the bag with a bulb (for weight) with a small 1x3 piece of paper instruction on planting the bulb and had the kids put them on door knobs. You could canvas choice neighborhoods this way. Neighborhood kids also come cheap.

Hey Paul...I like that idea...mind if I use it? I just bought some of those bags and your bulb idea sounds appealing!

loupiscopolandscaping
03-21-2008, 05:42 PM
not a problem, just was seeing if is legal. might send the guys out to target certain areas. thanx guys!

DLAWNS
03-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Lou,
No you can't do this. What's the h*ll is wrong with you? Don't you know anything? Ha ha. Catch ya later.

Mark Bogart
03-21-2008, 10:41 PM
I disagree totally. The newpaper boxes are attached to the mailbox. You still get mail right? By putting the ad in the newspaper box, I don't have to pay postage, nor take the time to address to the cards myself and I get to target the exact neighborhoods I want with no extra cost. Yes I have to do it myself, but when starting out in the business like this person obviously is, it's low cost to drive to the neighborhoods and you get to choose where you want to go. Is it as personal as door to door sales? No, but it is effective. I've gotten great response from this type of advertising.
What do you disagree with? If your going to advertise by putting out flyers it's more professional to use door hangers. Sticking items in a newspaper box to me is just not right. I believe the door hangers are more effective at this type of advertisment

loupiscopolandscaping
03-22-2008, 01:24 PM
bill im sorry, i simply SUCK at life! hahaha

Ravenwood Landscaping
03-22-2008, 02:00 PM
What do you disagree with? If your going to advertise by putting out flyers it's more professional to use door hangers. Sticking items in a newspaper box to me is just not right. I believe the door hangers are more effective at this type of advertisment

I disagree with your statement of "lowering standard" by this method. I live in an area where the yards are 3-5 acres in size so walking to each door with a door hanger doesn't work. It's too much like trespassing on such a large property. It's also posted in many neighborhoods that there is no door to door soliciting, so again doorhangers don't work in that situation, but every house has a "newspaper" box on their mailbox. I only quote newspaper because it's a box under their mailbox with no specific newspaper being put there. In these cases the only way to advertise are in the mail or the newspaper box.

I do agree that door hangers are effective, but in my case they haven't been "more" effective. I've been about 50/50 in response rate with roughly 50/50 doorhanger to mailbox output. I guess it depends on the area.

thesodfather
03-24-2008, 07:51 PM
i was thinking about going out tomorrow to make some drops like these around some neighborhoods.. but now im second guessing myself.. when do you think the best times to travel neighborhoods for drops like these? weekends or weekdays? because i have been thinking about peoples attention spans and people getting home from work and looking at a flyer might be a little less likely to call if theyve been busy or on the phone all day and may even forget to save it or if they are to get it in the morning with their paper they might forget about it as they read the paper or as they are at work all day.. im interested to hear your thoughts or if this is just a dumb college student over analyzing lol

DK lawn care
03-24-2008, 07:58 PM
I have heard of ppl calling newpaper places and having them put their flyer in along with the news paper. How do u do this?

A1Lawns
03-25-2008, 01:57 AM
I'm going to put my 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 post card ad, my business card, and a few 3/4" colored stones for weight, in a small white paper bag and put them next to or near peoples mail boxes.This way it's not in or on the mailbox, nor is it just thrown on the ground looking like garbage.
The bag will be upright and the post card will stick out about 1/4 of the way so the customer can immediately see that it's an ad.
This way, it's legal, and I can get TONS of ads out doing it myself. No walking door to door on peoples property, fondling with doorknobs (which I actually find more intrusive than putting ads IN mailboxes, but the law is the law), and I can do this by myself without having to hire anyone. Just place the bag near the mailbox and boom to the next one.
Unless you have the money to have thousands delivered by the postal service, this could be one good way to get THOUSANDS of ads out, FAST. Just like Seans literature said!
I will let you know how it works out! :weightlifter:

bill8379
03-25-2008, 02:18 AM
I have heard of ppl calling newpaper places and having them put their flyer in along with the news paper. How do u do this?

You phone them up and ask their advertising department. Don't you get Flyers? how do they come to you? I get like 30 a week in various forms of delivery. Some are admail, some are local paper inserts, some are city paper inserts, couple different adbags and a very few are delivered by some small operation who is delivering his own flyers (been there done that:laugh:)

I have a city paper (one that you need a subscription to but only goes to less then half the people but uses adbags to get the rest) and a local paper (one that is free but delivered to every house) and they both will also do the printing and sorting of the flyers. They match each others prices etc.

It's only like 4.2 cents each. I would rather spend $420 to have 10,000 flyers delivered (printing is extra) then deliver them myself.

mdvaden
03-25-2008, 02:18 AM
from my experience i have been told its not illegal but you can be fined by the company that owns the paper box you are putting them in.

It's possible that there is a law, but when the newspaper company guy called once, I said:

"what's the law, and how do you manage to have title to that patch of property?"

No reply - end of conversation.

If there was an answer, he did not have it to give that day.

But I try to put the flyers in a paper box between 8am and noon. There is a good reason.

One, they did buy the box - probably. Two, if you put the flyers there late day, its in the paper guys way, and the flyer gets crushed. If you put it there after 8am, they have delivered the paper, and the homeowner will soon be out before about 5pm.

I only put them in boxes next to a mailbox so the person will see the box when getting mail.

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
03-25-2008, 09:15 AM
I just read this in our paper last night..........Anyone using the paperbox for flyers/handouts/solicitations etc. will be fined $250 for each occurance................Guess its illegal in our town?

Roger
03-25-2008, 09:45 AM
This is a topic that is discussed almost as much as "How do I change my blades?"

Here is a link that will help with the USPS regulations:

http://pe.usps.gov/Archive/HTML/DMMArchive0810/D041.htm

1.3Use for Mail

Except under 2.11, the receptacles described in 1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 2.10 or 2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.

Ravenwood Landscaping
03-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Has the US Post Office ever been challenged as a monopoly?

There seems to be something funny about the fact that only one entity could charge money for a service and control all parts of it, including the box which I'm not the real owner of apparently. I'm excluding companies like UPS, Fed-Ex, etc because I wouldn't really count them as "mail".

davink
03-25-2008, 11:19 AM
I know that the area that I am in - When I sigened up for my papaer delivery, I had to pay for my paperbox, therefore as far as I see it anyone can put whatever they want in MY paperbox

To woever made to post about the fines: Who is it that is going to issue the fines, and under what law to they plan to enforce them?

Team-Green L&L
03-25-2008, 11:31 AM
The law states that the mailbox itself (the unit that receives mail) is Federal Property, even though you have to pay for it) and if someone, other than a Federal employee with authorization, puts anything into that box or takes anything out they must be following Federal Laws of privacy or face a Tampering With Mail charge which carries up to 5 years in Federal prison for a simple offense. Plus, the Feds will bring up every traffic ticket you've ever had to increase your sentence.

As far as the post and other boxes are concerned...I spoke with the Postmaster General about canvassing and he said "just don't touch the one marked U.S. Post Office and you're okay."

I hope that clarifies things a little and State Laws have no jurisdiction over this, so my understanding should be a National understanding.

DK lawn care
03-25-2008, 07:53 PM
You phone them up and ask their advertising department. Don't you get Flyers? how do they come to you? I get like 30 a week in various forms of delivery. Some are admail, some are local paper inserts, some are city paper inserts, couple different adbags and a very few are delivered by some small operation who is delivering his own flyers (been there done that:laugh:)

I have a city paper (one that you need a subscription to but only goes to less then half the people but uses adbags to get the rest) and a local paper (one that is free but delivered to every house) and they both will also do the printing and sorting of the flyers. They match each others prices etc.

It's only like 4.2 cents each. I would rather spend $420 to have 10,000 flyers delivered (printing is extra) then deliver them myself.

Thanks, ill try this.

woodbutcher44
03-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Sorry but the moose said it use to busy and was sent twice this is an edit

woodbutcher44
03-25-2008, 10:28 PM
The laws are from a time when government checks food stamps and other items that could be stole and cashed or sold with ease.
Ride through an area and score several checks or food stamp envelopes and thieves are fat for a while all on the 3rd an 15th of the month.
things are different now but the law is the same
The paper box is for the paper to use for their income if you use it pay to put the INSERT in the paper.
The paper co. is not slapping bumper stickers on your equipment or trucks for their gain. They put up paper boxes for their products

JohnnyRocker
05-06-2009, 05:03 PM

You would think someone "in business for 34 years" would know the answer to this very obvious question.

JohnnyRocker
05-06-2009, 05:08 PM
I would look that ordinance up. Doesn't sound legit.

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
05-06-2009, 08:46 PM
my gosh, this post has been resurected from the grave.......Hopefully he figured it by now

JohnnyRocker
05-06-2009, 11:44 PM
No doubt. . .

STIHL GUY
05-07-2009, 12:38 AM
around here people just toss fliers in the driveway so that when we get a breeze every flier from the whole street ends up in my bushes because im at the end of the street