PDA

View Full Version : part time

larryinalabama
03-21-2008, 10:41 AM
How many part time guys out there? Do you plan to go full time?

paul vroom
03-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi Larry, I am hoping to be full time in 09. I went to second shift last year (3-11) to start this with my son. It is still cold as a witches lip here so I have not started yet this year but I am getting calls so thats cool. I plan on running ads soon.

larryinalabama
03-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Cool, I plan on part timing it for at least 2 more years, currently Im putting all my profits into my business. Im looking at a couple of Box trucks. The biggest reason Im waiting 2 years is because IM building a new house and remolding anither house by myself, I want to finish so I can spend more time building my business.

paul vroom
03-21-2008, 11:10 AM
thats awesome Larry, good luck with the house. We pretty much feel the same, I am not going to leave my job to struggle when I do not have to. But the thought of this full time drives me. I have a couple more things to buy but for the most part I think I have it almost covered. check out my thread about "is this genius or nuts". Thats my truck, I am going to try and make a cheap dump for it. A real dump is a couple years off I think...

larryinalabama
03-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Good idea, that feller with the trailer deal looked good. Right now i just mulch leaves and generally put them into peoples gardens. I have to study the leaf issue more as time goes on. Im loosking at possible one of those cyclones or some kind of mulcher. For now I just due with what I have.

The thought of full time is also driving me nuts also, but I need more time to build more customers.

lawnkingforever
03-21-2008, 04:26 PM
I am part-time and at one time I could see myself going full-time. For now I will stick to what I am doing, making a decent living at sales and doing lawns a few nights a week. For residential lawn care, this will be the worst year in a while. Alot of competition and many people will be cutting their own yards. If I went fulltime, I would mix in some commercial accounts for sure. The only piece of equipment I am missing now is a ZT, if I buy one with the profits from this season, I may go fulltime next year.

kjslawn
03-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Part time here we have 2 com and 20 res I dont see how I could go full time and pay Insurance

paul vroom
03-21-2008, 06:39 PM
kjs thats the truth. Insurance is crazy now. In mass its about 13,000 a year for a low end family plan. I think insurance scares me more than anything.

Military Lawns
03-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Retired Military, working for CSX full-time and cut grass part-time. I would love to go full-time. Just need a push over to the next level to get going!

DJ-

N.H.BOY
03-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Yea part time here also, been part time for four years now, was going to go full time this year, but I want to wait the gas wars out for this year. I do ALOT of sub work out from a big landscape company. I like doing that because I get a check every month for sure, no jerkin around. I have some of my own customers also. I have all the equipment paid for and my truck will be paid for in three months. I also need insurance, that is why I stay with my full time job:confused: I have four girls:hammerhead: Health insurance kills you for sure.

Beaner
03-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Second year part time coming up. 1 commercial and 9 residential. I work full time, do my stuff on Saturday. Looking at expanding to 20 tops, and even with that I may hire a helper and try to keep it at 1 day a week. Buying either a quick 32 or 36 within the next few weeks, last year was all 21s!!

Brown's LC & L
03-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Part time, hoping to be full time asap. I financed my equipment and trailer, once it's paid off I'm going full time!!!

larryinalabama
03-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Yea part time here also, been part time for four years now, was going to go full time this year, but I want to wait the gas wars out for this year. I do ALOT of sub work out from a big landscape company. I like doing that because I get a check every month for sure, no jerkin around. I have some of my own customers also. I have all the equipment paid for and my truck will be paid for in three months. I also need insurance, that is why I stay with my full time job:confused: I have four girls:hammerhead: Health insurance kills you for sure.

Four years is a long time its good you have paticents as this year may not be the best year as gas and drout seem to be big issues.

Seems the biggest reason we all do our businesses part is the Health Ins thing. Its hard to leave a decient job with inexpensive insurance. If your willing to have a 5000$ to 10000$ detuctable there are some inexpensive polices avaible.

N.H.BOY
03-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Four years is a long time its good you have paticents as this year may not be the best year as gas and drout seem to be big issues.

Seems the biggest reason we all do our businesses part is the Health Ins thing. Its hard to leave a decient job with inexpensive insurance. If your willing to have a 5000$ to 10000$ detuctable there are some inexpensive polices avaible.

Yes and also 401k's and pension..17 years as a Frito-lay salesman:hammerhead:

SomervilleLawncare
03-22-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm looking to go full time this summer. I have a low level teaching job right now that doesnt pay much, but my insurance is worth $24,000 a year. I would say that the insurance and pension plans are the biggest thing keeping most guys from going full time. Luckily for me I have a wife who has a good job with insurance. It's not nearly as good as mine, but it will allow me to give my lawn business a try full time.