PDA

View Full Version : walk behind edger

jsteveharris
01-22-2000, 10:49 PM
I am looking into buying a walk behind edger. I have a shindawa le230 but sometimes it just doesn't have the cutting power that I need. Has anyone used the Scag edger, it looks faitly simple in design so therefore there is not much to go wrong.

Lazer
01-22-2000, 11:00 PM
Echo does have a 31cc edger, but it probably isn't really any powerful more than that Shindiawa. <br>Does Tanaka still make their walk-behind edger? That's what we used before the stick edger. It was shaft drive and a really nice machine. 2 cycle 50cc I think.<br>

Retro67
01-23-2000, 12:10 AM
Yes, the TLE550 is still available. It's billed as the world's only 2 cycle edger (walk behind). I know of two places that have rock bottom prices on them. Email me if you are interested.<p>John

southside
01-23-2000, 01:50 AM
We have tanaka blade edgers over here.Not real popular as the throttle assemblies<br>tend to fall apart.As for other two stroke<br>blade edgers we also have the Atom edger,<br>which is similar to the Tanaka and also<br>the Victa tilt-a-cut which is a 3 wheeled<br>blade edger with a 160cc 2 stroke.<br>I personally prefer the 4 stoke 3 wheel blade<br>edger as they seem to be more reliable.

Retro67
01-26-2000, 02:22 PM
The only thing I've ever heard of it was it was the best walkbehind edger on the market. Are you referring to a stick edger, or a walkbehind? Any other feedback would be appreciated.<p>John

curlawngreen
01-26-2000, 07:43 PM
$400.00 for what. I will use my echo or sthil <br>and shovel.

Kent Lawns
01-26-2000, 09:15 PM
A shovel generally isn't as productive as power equipment.

jsteveharris
01-26-2000, 09:55 PM
I am referring to awheeled edger. I have a stick edger already. But I was doing a job the other day and it just wouldn't cut it. I had to go rent a 3 wheel edger with a 4hp honda, I think it was a kees model, but I really did not like the way it work, but it did get the job done quick.

Ground Effects
01-26-2000, 11:03 PM
I've been using a Mclane for 3 years now and have'nt got one complaint about it. Not sure what model #,I pretty much just use it. About the only thing I can tell is that it has a 3 HP Briggs on the original oil/plug.<br> To be honest with you, it has turned into a scientific experiment for reliability.<br> NOW- if they can only make the blades last as long I'd be sold 100%

Lazer
01-26-2000, 11:07 PM
With the experience I've had with Briggs, it would be wise to change the oil with each blade change. :)<br>

jrblawncare
01-27-2000, 05:21 AM
Back in '93 I bought a Ariens LE 500,Not sure if it is made,but it does look like the Tanaka of today.I beleave it is the one Lazer is speaking of.2 stroke 50cc with a power output of 2.5hp.no belts shaft drive[nice]But it is just over $500.00.It does a nice job lots of power...it just likes to eat blades.Just like any other 2 stroke,shut it down right in the fall.....fresh fuel in the spring 2 or 3 pulls and its ready to rock.

richard
02-03-2000, 10:02 PM
yea buddy! i got that same mclane oil/plug study going on here!good as new - and think what you save in time and disposal fees!mine just chews up $2 blades and i had to remove all the belt guard sheilds because they really chewed up belts...still starts on the first pull...maybe i'll change the oil and plug and keep it 3 more years!!!moral of story-don't get your wallet edged by an edger...my billy goat has a briggs and still picks up anything it can!

MRPLOW
02-04-2000, 08:09 AM
I have had fare experiences with McLane's my first 2 each lasted 2 years each. On my latest one I bought the Deluxe model that has a better Briggs engine with oversized fuel tank large muffler and easy start and on/off switch. This thing has been great it starts on the very first pull every single time and I have never done anything but change the oil. This will be its third year.

AB Lawn Care
02-09-2000, 03:43 PM
I would look into the scag edger.I don't own one so I can't say it is the best.But I have looked into edgers in the past and the reason I like scag is they are very simple.It has no movable parts near the drive head,no springs to break,and no sliding booms or head.The only draw back to me would be that it comes with a briggs engine,I love honda engines myself,but the good thing is that if down the road the briggs quit on you it looks from the brochure like it would be easy to install an other engine.<p>I hope this helps you out!<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

Retro67
02-09-2000, 04:39 PM
Scag has a no-engine option, so you can put the Honda on if that's your preference.&lt;p&gt;John