PDA

View Full Version : Greasing Trucks?

wiseguyslawn
03-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Just got done with the greasing of my mowers, and was wondering if it is necessary to grease anything on trucks. I have a 96 f250 and a 05. Or is everything sealed.

mattfromNY
03-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Twice yearly, we grease A-arms and ball joints in the front end. I've got Chevy's, not sure of your Fords, but probably similar.

P.Services
03-21-2008, 10:14 PM
wow are you kiding!!!! i greese my truck every time i change the oil.

wiseguyslawn
03-21-2008, 10:22 PM
even on newer trucks that are only a couple years old have zerts. I take it the zerts are only in the front end where the ball joints and a-arms are. Im only 22 and trying to learn all the preventative maintenance I can learn. Thanx again

P.Services
03-21-2008, 10:29 PM
just search for them, or the dealer can give you a map of the truck that will show you where they all are. the more you greese them the longer they will last, once a week isnt over kill.

CLARK LAWN
03-21-2008, 11:00 PM
just crawl under and look for the fittings. i agree twice a year is nowhere near enough unless the truck sits more than it moves

Gravel Rat
03-21-2008, 11:06 PM
I grease my truck once a month if its the rainy season then twice a month. Grease is cheap parts are not.

You will have 4 tie rod ends to grease if the ball joints are aftermarket you will have 4 of them to grease if you have aftermarket U joints you will have 5 of them to grease.

During greasing the truck gets a inspection looking for leaks, loose bolts etc because if you spot potential problems early it will save you money and headaches down the road.

topsites
03-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Yeh get up under there and check for fittings, once a year for me, may not be often enough but most drivers never do this.

supercuts
03-22-2008, 08:49 AM
look everywhere, i keep all my things greased, mowers, dump beds/hoists, trucks, tractor, etc. one day, my enclosed trailer door wouldnt close right. one of the hinges snapped off the door. i couldnt figure out why until i noticed the grease fittings and about cried when i realized i had never ever greased them. you think you've got everthing and realized you forgot one of the easies spots....A HINGE!!

GSPHUNTER
03-22-2008, 12:44 PM
My Ford Ranger had all sealed fittings. NO Greasing.