PDA

View Full Version : Cmon help me out

Johnson LCO
03-22-2008, 12:11 AM
I recently gave a homeowner a price for laying 25 yards of mulch and edging the beds as well (most of it was around trees). Anyway, the guy before me was a complete dumb*** and did a terrible job. I needed to make new edges around the trees. Anyway i said it would take about 30 hours and he said he would get other estimates even though my hourly rate was competitive. BTW, exposed roots meant I had to hand edge basically all of it. I know I am being vague but am I completely off? Just got a call for doing the same thing on the same size property (25 yards of mulch and edging everywhere) so I need to know if I am in the right area. Thanks

nlminc
03-22-2008, 12:33 AM
How many Trees and how many linear feet of edging? Are you hauling the edging off the property? Can you use a bed edger/trencher? I know you can't on the trees with exposed roots but what about the other areas. I used to own one and it was one of my best purchases.
30 hours sounds like a lot for 25 yards of mulch. Is that one man, 2 men, 3 men?? How far do you have to wheel barrel it from the truch or pile? Can you find someone with a mulch blower to come in as a sub to take it? I used to spread mulch for 15 years when I lived up north and a good 2 man crew can do 5 yards in an hour or so.

Johnson LCO
03-22-2008, 01:12 AM
I cant say exactly how mcuh edging there is in feet, but all of it has to be done by hand as all of the beds need to be reshaped and there are a LOT of exposed roots. When I gave the first quote the guy said "i didnt pay that much last year." I told him that he paid less for a crappy job and now he is paying for it. Half the trees have begun to rot or have insect infestation, no doubt due to the mulch piled up against the base of the trees. So much work is coming in, even if this guy calls (which he will because I no doubt gave the best price) I will most likely tell him to find someone else. I have already invested too much time explaining things to him to no avail. None of my other customers need things broken down to them like children like this guy does and my time is better spent serving them.

nlminc
03-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Sounds like you are better off walking away from this guy! He's just trying to take advantage of you.

Mark Bogart
03-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Sounds like you are better off walking away from this guy! He's just trying to take advantage of you.

Really good point!

Stillwater
03-22-2008, 11:47 AM
2100 to 2400...........

shovelracer
03-22-2008, 11:49 AM
30 hours is about right around here. Im gonna assume that youhave around 4-500 feet of hand edging, which will take us about 5-6 hours. It takes 3 guys about 1 full day or 24 man hours to lay 25 yards if the mulch is within 100 feet of the beds. Obviously slope, soil conditions, and number of obstacles can change this, but what ever the case, stick to your ground and stand by you pricing and work. They will more than likely keep shopping around for the next crappy job. However if you are professional and stand your ground, they should respect that. That means that when someone asks, they may say that you are good, but a little more than they can afford. As opposed to being slandered for a crappy job, or expected to offer discounts to the entire neighborhood. Oh and start taking measurements of things like edging, cause you are only hurting yourself by not having it.

shovelracer
03-22-2008, 11:52 AM
2100 to 2400...........

To low I think for this job.

Stillwater
03-22-2008, 01:09 PM
To low I think for this job.

for labor ???

shovelracer
03-22-2008, 02:31 PM
I assumed we where talking soup to nuts here.

Allens LawnCare
03-23-2008, 03:05 PM
are you picking up the mulch

Stillwater
03-23-2008, 03:56 PM
I assumed we where talking soup to nuts here.

we are I was asking if it was just labor if it would still be low what is the competitive rate per man hr in your area

Johnson LCO
03-23-2008, 10:37 PM
40-60 an hour is competitive here. I am on the low end with 42.50 an hour. I am not going to pick up the mulch myself, but am getting it delivered.

Stillwater
03-23-2008, 11:36 PM
40-60 an hour is competitive here. I am on the low end with 42.50 an hour. I am not going to pick up the mulch myself, but am getting it delivered.

we are about the same hear in ma.