PDA

View Full Version : Better Mowers

stevenf
03-22-2008, 01:09 PM
I read somewhere on this forum that Better will soon have a mower that exceeds there 5mph top speeds. Is this true? Does anyone have any more info on it?
Also, you would consider it a COMMERCIAL built machine, and suggest it as a full time mower to a new guy?

Frue
03-22-2008, 03:48 PM
They are working on something I am thinking it is a dual hydro.

bill8379
03-22-2008, 06:05 PM
I wish they would make a 26" mower with a 9-10 HP engine. Their 32" is too wide for my gates.

stevenf
03-23-2008, 03:26 AM
There 44" would fit in 95% of the gates here. Im looking at the 36" and the only down side is 5mph. 7mph and I would be sold in a heart beat!

Whitey4
03-23-2008, 09:57 AM
There 44" would fit in 95% of the gates here. Im looking at the 36" and the only down side is 5mph. 7mph and I would be sold in a heart beat!

First, you can get 6mph out of them if you do some adjustments, but why do you want to mow that fast? I think any mower is going to have a hard time producing a qualty cut at that sort of speed. I doubt I've run my Quick 32 faster than 4mph.

stevenf
03-23-2008, 12:11 PM
What type of adjustments?

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-23-2008, 12:25 PM
I read somewhere on this forum that Better will soon have a mower that exceeds there 5mph top speeds. Is this true? Does anyone have any more info on it?
Also, you would consider it a COMMERCIAL built machine, and suggest it as a full time mower to a new guy?

Yes it's a TRUE COMMERCAIL UNIT....and I would expect many new things from BOP in the future. 5 mph is moving pretty quick. Try walking 5mph on a treadmill. Call BOP and ask them for ideas on "speeding up " their machines...IMHO ..you cannot go wrong with any machine that BOP sells. Get the biggest deck your accounts can handle and go make some money.

4curbappeal
03-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Buckeye,

Do you work for Better Outdoor ? You seem to chime in on every thread that has anything to do with thier company! Personally I couldn't stand the quick 36", but maybe I will give it another chance! If you don't work for them, then maybe you should!

THRIFTY
03-23-2008, 12:57 PM
4curbappeal is right. Every time their is a thread on Better products the same people always chime in with some sales pitch, nutswinging on how great these mowers are...Something is fishy, you guys are in a cult or something?

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Buckeye,

Do you work for Better Outdoor ? You seem to chime in on every thread that has anything to do with thier company! Personally I couldn't stand the quick 36", but maybe I will give it another chance! If you don't work for them, then maybe you should!

No I don't work for them....But ,they offer a great product at a fair price. It's an AMERICAN co. and they stand behind their equipment. It's equipment that I use and support the co's cause. Can I ask why you did not like the Q36?

leafitalawn
03-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Dude, it's not just them... I haven't spoken too much on how much we love ours. I just got the 32" quickie 3 weeks ago (used to use 32" standers...), and we're moving to all quickies ASAP. Hopefully ordering one later this week. They are a little slower than the standers (the quickest option in my opinion), but their cut and learning curve for employees is second to none. One of my 2 man crews (new-hires as of 1st week of March), is doing 30 lawns/day with a quickie.
I haven't purchased yet, but I probably need to buy some step-savers next...

rogerwb
03-23-2008, 05:37 PM
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!
Call BOP and ask for some customers in your area. I wish I had.

ed2hess
03-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Dude, it's not just them... I haven't spoken too much on how much we love ours. I just got the 32" quickie 3 weeks ago (used to use 32" standers...), and we're moving to all quickies ASAP. Hopefully ordering one later this week. They are a little slower than the standers (the quickest option in my opinion), but their cut and learning curve for employees is second to none. One of my 2 man crews (new-hires as of 1st week of March), is doing 30 lawns/day with a quickie.
I haven't purchased yet, but I probably need to buy some step-savers next...

I'd like more info on why you are changing? If cost is a factor I would understand and if you are having a learning curve with the wright I would also understand that? Is there anything else? Before switching to Scag units I ran some lighterweight units in crews and didn't have a very good experience..

Whitey4
03-23-2008, 07:31 PM
I've been running my new Quick 32 for two weeks pretty hard now. I don't have any complaints, except for the mechanical attachment for the side discharge. It's far too time consuming to remove and reinstall it. Other than that, the machine has been aces all the way. Good on gas, great cut, good manueverability.

leafitalawn
03-23-2008, 08:36 PM
I'd like more info on why you are changing? If cost is a factor I would understand and if you are having a learning curve with the wright I would also understand that? Is there anything else? Before switching to Scag units I ran some lighterweight units in crews and didn't have a very good experience..

It's not the price or the learning curve really. It's the soil in our area...with weekly mowing it can rut after a while with inexperienced workers. If I could find clones of myself, or top notch workers all of the time...then I'd keep using them. If you've hired Americans...well, you know what I mean (I'm office full time now...). With the quickie 32"'s, you could teach a monkey to mow with them and they still cut great. With the lot sizes we're working on, it only takes 2-3 more minutes per lawn and it looks better than with anything that we've tried to date. We really try to be on a 3.5 - 4.5 lawns/hr pace as long as it's not the 1st visit and the lawn is in "maintenance mode" (mow, edge, line-trim, blow and go).

lifetree
03-23-2008, 09:15 PM
I wish they would make a 26" mower with a 9-10 HP engine. Their 32" is too wide for my gates.

The BOP 32" machine is 35.5" wide and should fit through a standard 36" gate ... what is the width of the gates in your area ??

lifetree
03-23-2008, 09:24 PM
... I don't have any complaints, except for the mechanical attachment for the side discharge. It's far too time consuming to remove and reinstall it. ...

What mechanical attachment ?? It looks ljust like the attachment on all the other Quick models ... it's 2 screws !!

bill8379
03-23-2008, 09:40 PM
The BOP 32" machine is 35.5" wide and should fit through a standard 36" gate ... what is the width of the gates in your area ??

I got a Toro 36 which is 37.1 inches wide and it only fits though a few of my gates. A quick 32 @35.5 inches, won't make much of a difference especially if you leave the side discharge chute on which makes it even wider then my 36.

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-23-2008, 10:31 PM
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!
Call BOP and ask for some customers in your area. I wish I had.

Did you have a bad experience with BOP ?

Whitey4
03-23-2008, 11:03 PM
What mechanical attachment ?? It looks ljust like the attachment on all the other Quick models ... it's 2 screws !!

Yeah, two srews, and it requires two wrenches on each side. They are locking nuts, so you have to use the wrenches all the way through the thread. Simple locking pins would work just as well and take seconds to remove/replace the side discharge shute. Sorry, Buckeye, I love my Quick, but that is a piss poor design.

Bills' 36" Toro is just as narrow with the discharge chute on than the BOP 32 with chute on. If I have a tight gate, I don't want to go get two wrenches and screw around for 4 minutes. The chute also does not fold up completely.... the idea of a 32 is to be narrow, and BOP screwed this one thing up.

Since my customers all want it bagged, it's less of a problem, but it will be a pita in the fall when I'm trying to use the Quick to reduce leaf bulk before I put the Accelerator bagger on. I have to find pins of the right size before then.... and I think BOP should do that for me. Just let me order the pins! I hate screwing around at Home Despot trying to size things like that up!

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah, two srews, and it requires two wrenches on each side. They are locking nuts, so you have to use the wrenches all the way through the thread. Simple locking pins would work just as well and take seconds to remove/replace the side discharge shute. Sorry, Buckeye, I love my Quick, but that is a piss poor design.

Bills' 36" Toro is just as narrow with the discharge chute on than the BOP 32 with chute on. If I have a tight gate, I don't want to go get two wrenches and screw around for 4 minutes. The chute also does not fold up completely.... the idea of a 32 is to be narrow, and BOP screwed this one thing up.

Since my customers all want it bagged, it's less of a problem, but it will be a pita in the fall when I'm trying to use the Quick to reduce leaf bulk before I put the Accelerator bagger on. I have to find pins of the right size before then.... and I think BOP should do that for me. Just let me order the pins! I hate screwing around at Home Despot trying to size things like that up!

No problem with me...

Why not call Tommy at BOP and discuss it with them ...The more they hear it ...the more likely it is to make them change designs.

Valk
03-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Hey, the RH grip on my Q32 slipped the first day...so I removed both. I replaced both with Mtn Bike foam grips (from a bike shop) manufactured by Giant. They were less than $8 and designed for a 7/8" bar...whereas the BOP bar is 1". I used rubbing-alcohol to slide them on and let them dry overnight...not a problem since.

These Giant brand grips are similar to what I've seen on children's scooters...are very comfortable and do not turn my hands black.

I LOVE this mower...it is a joy to operate. I'm amazed by anyone complaining about turning or maneuvering this mower. I tried the aluminum bagger on a cleanup and was beyond impressed with it's performance...and I HATE bagging. Changing the mowing height in front AND back is a piece of cake as well...in fact the rear is spring assisted, and is SIMPLE.

I've called BOP a few times with some pretty dumb questions (LOL!) and was treated like a King. :cool2:

rogerwb
03-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Did you have a bad experience with BOP ?

Read my review 'My first experience with the Quickie 32' I posted it yesterday.

lifetree
03-24-2008, 08:23 PM
I got a Toro 36 which is 37.1 inches wide and it only fits though a few of my gates. A quick 32 @35.5 inches, won't make much of a difference especially if you leave the side discharge chute on which makes it even wider then my 36.

My understanding is that the 35.5" width on the BOP 32 is with the discharge chute on the machine, in the up position !!

lifetree
03-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah, two srews, and it requires two wrenches on each side. They are locking nuts, so you have to use the wrenches all the way through the thread. Simple locking pins would work just as well and take seconds to remove/replace the side discharge shute ... the idea of a 32 is to be narrow, and BOP screwed this one thing up ... it will be a pita in the fall when I'm trying to use the Quick to reduce leaf bulk ...

Well, I do have to agree with this ... There are some aspects of the Quickie 32 which I think BOP may want to consider re-designing !!

lifetree
03-24-2008, 08:31 PM
No problem with me ... Why not call Tommy at BOP and discuss it with them ... The more they hear it ... the more likely it is to make them change designs.

I had already figured I would have to use the 2 wrench set idea if I ran into this situation, however, I agree that you should call them !!

lifetree
03-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Read my review 'My first experience with the Quickie 32' I posted it yesterday.

I read your post ... that's really interesting, I haven't heard of anyone else having that bad a shipping experience !! However, I think you should call BOP and let them know about it. Also, they will take it back within 30 days ... good luck !!

stevenf
03-24-2008, 09:31 PM
I read your other thread and it seems you should be upset with the shipment carrier rather then BOP.
As of now, Ive heard they arent the best for mulching but do ok, they arent conveinient to lower or raise deck height( most of my lawns are the same height anyway). and the handle grips come off easy.
Would yall recommend paying the extra money for electric start or just get recoil?

Whitey4
03-24-2008, 10:00 PM
My hand grips havent slipped at all. I sort of woner if folks are trying to muscle these machines too much. I find it's about lean and body english... very little pushing and pulling with the arms.

I got the recoil. It's an easy pull, and starts on the first or second every time. I like to keep things ads simple as possible, and recoils are more simple that electric starts... fewer parts, less to go wrong, but that's just me.

As for the fella that had all those problems.... that bites. First I've ever heard of such a problem. I think you need to learn how to manuvuer this machine, but there IS the BOP 30 day return policy if you are that unhappy. They will honor it, no doubt. As for me, my 32 has been awsome. The Acclerator bagger combo is great, since all my customers want it bagged. I've done some spring cleanups on new accounts with a lot of leaves, and also used it to pick up power raking debris, and it's been a great time saver. No lines, clumps... very clean. I've picked up some heavy thatch with it, and it's been great.

The only thing I may have to adjust is the instant reverse cable, it's tight, and my thumb alone isn't strong enough to depress it, but it's an adjustment I just haven't gotten around to toying with.... too busy making money with this machine right now.

stevenf
03-24-2008, 11:37 PM
The first guy said you can get a little more speed out of them with some modifications. What was he referring to?

Whitey4
03-25-2008, 08:14 PM
The first guy said you can get a little more speed out of them with some modifications. What was he referring to?

That was I..... I read in a thread some time ago that you can adjust the throtle cable and get another MPH out of them if you wanted. Never tried it myself.

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Take most of the speed away from reverse and turn up the forward speed....

stevenf
03-25-2008, 09:55 PM

Wait.... What?!?!?! How in the heck do you do that?
I hope it wasnt sarcasm because Ill feel like a moron.

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Wait.... What?!?!?! How in the heck do you do that?
I hope it wasnt sarcasm because Ill feel like a moron.

Nope no sarcasm...I would call Tommy at BOP and have him explain in laymen terms how to adjust the two cables. It is truly simple...but I want you to hear it from the horses mouth.

ed2hess
03-25-2008, 10:31 PM

That is interesting....on some hydro units you adjust the neutral position so the unit is not driving when you release the engage. I guess this type of drive is different. In other words if I adjust a scag to go faster forward when I go the the null position it would continue to drive forward a little so I would have to put on the brakes. But as you say it would give me less reverse.

General Landscaping
03-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Yeah, you can play a little give-n-take with the control cables..... the key word is little.
The hydro unit is the same as riding lawn tractors, so speed will always be in the consumer tractor speed range.
If I rember right, BOP is driving the input of the transaxle at the max allowed speed; so no high speed pulley swaps without overspeeding the trans.
That deck has the capacity to handle more ground speed in most cases.

Watch those fluffy aftermarket grips, they can slow you down.

Keep an extra cable on hand.... just a warning.

stevenf
03-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Does doing this go against there warranty?

lifetree
03-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Does doing this go against there warranty ?

It seems like it would if you did it without BOP knowing about it ... that's probably why Buckeye wanter you to hear it directly from the manufacturer !!

General Landscaping
03-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Does doing this go against there warranty?

You're just using the factory supplied adjustments.
It's basically doing the adjustments that are to fine to mess with at the factory, prior to final setup, and adjusting for personal preference.

Even if it was a "mod", the change is not enough to make a real difference in longevity.

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-27-2008, 12:50 PM
It seems like it would if you did it without BOP knowing about it ... that's probably why Buckeye wanter you to hear it directly from the manufacturer !!

It does not void the warrenty ..Its a simple cable adjustment.