PDA

View Full Version : Mulch PROCESS?

grassgirl4
03-22-2008, 04:46 PM
This is my fourth year in business, and up until this point, I have basically focused on lawn maintenance and bush pruning. Looks as though I will be doing a fair share of mulch installation this year, and I want to do it right. I've been reviewing some of the existing threads regarding pricing, but I would like input as to the mulch installation PROCESS.

What is your process from start to finish? Including bed prep... Do you always edge first, and if so, do you do it by hand with a shovel or rent a bed edger?

Also, should I charge one price for the bed prep and a separate/additional price for the actual mulch installation? From what I've gathered so far, I should, but I would like your opinion.

Thanks, and Happy Easter!! :waving:

DBL
03-22-2008, 04:52 PM
do a search there are plenty of threads on this...our price includes edging (done with a shovel), weeding and debris removal. Pruning is extra. our mulch prices are for maintenance customes $95/yard and non-maintenance customers $100/yard of mulch

JNyz
03-22-2008, 06:13 PM
do a search there are plenty of threads on this...our price includes edging (done with a shovel), weeding and debris removal. Pruning is extra. our mulch prices are for maintenance customers $95/yard and non-maintenance customers $100/yard of mulch

Tom is correct on the pricing. First I would start out by trying to sell them everything and for 90% of our customers we do this in order, trim shrubs, cut back perennials, clean up, make sure we do not have too much old mulch around base of shrubs, trees or other plants, edge beds with a spade, apply weed pre-emergent[snapshot,] and then mulch. I do not think I forgot anything. Pruning/trimming, weed pre- emergent is an extra charge.

Trenchblade
03-22-2008, 08:47 PM
This is my fourth year in business, and up until this point, I have basically focused on lawn maintenance and bush pruning. Looks as though I will be doing a fair share of mulch installation this year, and I want to do it right. I've been reviewing some of the existing threads regarding pricing, but I would like input as to the mulch installation PROCESS.

What is your process from start to finish? Including bed prep... Do you always edge first, and if so, do you do it by hand with a shovel or rent a bed edger?

Also, should I charge one price for the bed prep and a separate/additional price for the actual mulch installation? From what I've gathered so far, I should, but I would like your opinion.

Thanks, and Happy Easter!! :waving:

You should check out www.trenchblade.com. They have a specialty blade that can be used on most stick edgers and is a good medium instead of using a shovel or renting a bed edger

grassgirl4
03-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the input thus far. It is a great help!!

DBL, thanks for your pricing insight and what exactly that includes and doesn't include...gives me clarity in setting my price.

JNyz, your answer is exactly what I was looking for...thanks!! I had an idea in my mind of the steps I would go through, but I wanted to see if others had the same mindset.

xtramental, have you tried the trenchblade? Does it work well? How long does one blade last? For $4.20, I think I will try it; however, if the lifespan is short, I would rather order 3 or 4 at the same time than 1 at a time, ya know? (Save on shipping and have backups on hand) How does it work defining new beds...very well, so-so, not so good? Thanks!!

Anyone else care to outline their mulch process like JNyz? Or is it the same? All input appreciated!!

Trenchblade
03-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the input thus far. It is a great help!!

DBL, thanks for your pricing insight and what exactly that includes and doesn't include...gives me clarity in setting my price.

JNyz, your answer is exactly what I was looking for...thanks!! I had an idea in my mind of the steps I would go through, but I wanted to see if others had the same mindset.

xtramental, have you tried the trenchblade? Does it work well? How long does one blade last? For $4.20, I think I will try it; however, if the lifespan is short, I would rather order 3 or 4 at the same time than 1 at a time, ya know? (Save on shipping and have backups on hand) How does it work defining new beds...very well, so-so, not so good? Thanks!!

Anyone else care to outline their mulch process like JNyz? Or is it the same? All input appreciated!!

It does works very well on making new beds. You kind of have to work it back and forth a bit, you just cant run through it like on the demo video. It looks like that bed line on the video had been maintained and thats why it went through so smooth. I have used it in both circumstances and it works great for us. if you are using it on a bed that has been maintained it goes fast. You will be better off ordering a few to save on shipping cause they do flat rate, so it is the same shipping if you buy 1 or 8

grassgirl4
03-24-2008, 12:51 AM
bump...just looking for more people's methods :)