PDA

View Full Version : ways to beat the heat

Turfrific
03-22-2008, 07:17 PM
since i'm new at this what are some good tips you guys use to stay cooler on thoughs real hot days.

kubotab7200
03-22-2008, 07:20 PM
a truck with a good air conditioner. i recomend gmc trucks thier ac's work good

JNyz
03-22-2008, 07:35 PM
you'll get use to it.

SNAPPER MAN
03-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Hire guys to do the work for you.

SNAPPER MAN
03-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Ironically Beat the Heat is the name of my company. It suits the climate here in texas very well.

Turfrific
03-22-2008, 07:44 PM
lol all in good time i hope, for right now i'm going to be small but not low ball.thanks for responces

SNAPPER MAN
03-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Just get a good hat to protect you from the sun. Wear long sleeve cotton or under armour, you may think im crazy but it helps. Also DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!!!!!!!!!

Turfrific
03-22-2008, 08:12 PM
ok good to know thanks again.

Patriot Services
03-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Long sleeve Under Armour shirt (light tan ), Long lightweight camo pants, floppy boonie hat ( with UV protectant ) and very expensive 100% UVA and UVB sun/safety glasses. A light application of Aveeno sunblock several times a day to face. Lightweight Mechanix gloves. Drink lots of water and Gatorade to replace electrolytes. Eat light and often. Several years in an extreme desert warfare environment as a medic taught me alot about taking care of yourself and adaptability. It takes time but you will adapt, starting now instead of the middle of summer will help too. This planet is not getting any cooler or more hospitable and skin cancer is no joke. I shake my head at the guys in shorts and a tank top, great tan but at what cost down the road. Take care and hang in there.:usflag::usflag::usflag:

RonB
03-22-2008, 09:03 PM
When it gets to upper 90's/100 go for Gatorade. Last year I began cramping with just water, and was drinking plenty. Gatorade made all the difference in the world.

Get the powder and mix your own ... waaaay cheaper.

Turfrific
03-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I go with gatorade as well. the other info was very helpful im gonna come back and re read all this several times thanks.

AndyTblc
03-22-2008, 10:37 PM

yes they do, very well, I can't complain.

F Y P M
03-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Only water Again only water!! I Drink water and no gimmicks do the trick. Water Water Water Period.

kubotab7200
03-22-2008, 10:50 PM
an ice cold beer does it for me just dont get cot drinkin beer by the customer, i put mine in an insulated cup

cgaengineer
03-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Under Armour shirts and underwear, Gatorade, ProPel, polarized sun glasses, boonie hat, lightweight shorts.

kleankutslawn
03-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Please stay away from the beer while working.doesn't make us look good

twj721
03-22-2008, 11:50 PM
since i'm new at this what are some good tips you guys use to stay cooler on thoughs real hot days.

Do like I did buy a dump truck and sit under the A/C AND MAKE MONEY

stevenf
03-23-2008, 02:24 AM
I dont have a/c in my truck so I like to finish as much as I can, as early as I can in the day.

topsites
03-23-2008, 05:03 AM
You have to get yourself a cooler of some kind you can stick water in with a spigot you can drink out of, then plan on making lots of ice in your fridge to keep it cool during the day. Some Lco's buy ice at the service station but I can't afford that and if I could it's still cheaper to make it myself.

Doesn't have to be expensive but don't cheap out and get less than what you need, Wal-mart has good stuff likely in the camping section. You need 2 gallons for a solo operation, 5 gallons for two-three people and I'm not sure what they do for larger crews but either get a 2 or a 5-gallon depending on how you foresee your company for the next 2-3 years... You can always upgrade later, 2 gallons can do for two folks but it could get marginal, either way the coolers last a long time if you don't damage it by running over it lol but I still have my original I bought 6+ years ago, still use it.

I didn't have A/C for 5 years, you don't need it at first all it does is cost you money and spoil you. It's bad outside but you get in that cool A/C and you might not be able to get back out to do more work, wear white shirts or very light colors this helps.

Also either get a white truck or paint the top of the cab white (cheap out here, clean it up good, mask it off, spray paint), it helps.
If you plan on doing this 'test' a spot first to make sure the paint won't run, hopefully nobody's waxed the roof in the past year or so...
To clean it up I'd recommend Window cleaner, doesn't matter much maybe some dishwashing detergent but I'd stay away from car cleaners as they may contain waxes. The top of the cab is not that visible so beauty isn't very important, but it has to be done some kind of right or it won't work, you might have to use a very fine grit sandpaper or a light steel wool to rough it up a bit, not sure what condition it's in but if it's pretty new I wouldn't do it.
White = BIG difference thou

C&K
03-23-2008, 06:45 AM
Lots of WATER!
If you use gatorade i recommend that you mix it at about half. (water it down)

Sunstate Lawn
03-23-2008, 12:46 PM
DON'T MIX DOWN GATORADE! It's made to absorb into your body at the mixture on the can. If you mix it down, you might as well save your money and drink water.

Turfrific
03-23-2008, 01:13 PM
ok well i only drink one bottle of gatoraide and water the rest.like some of you i'm also strapped for cash,with all this help im gonna be cooler this summer, appreciate it.

Rhett
03-23-2008, 02:07 PM
OK who let the guy from upstate NY in a conversation about the heat? Just kidding. Put water next to your bed a night. Every time you roll over force yourself to drink some. If you must eat in the morning eat real light. Maybe take some fruit for lunch. AC is a no go for me. Accounts are too close together and wonce I am in it I am not leaving. Don't need to be swilling gator aid all day long. Actually prefer power aid. One bottle on a hot day maybe two if you are about to catch on fire. Carry dry shirt and socks with you. Every couple of years have yourself checked for skin cancer. ENJOY, some fools pay for a tan

mowing grass 1111
03-23-2008, 02:30 PM

stay home in the a/c:)

Turfrific
03-23-2008, 02:35 PM
wow that might be a problem i sleep sound,and go to sleep easy.

lawnpro724
03-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Right now I would just like to see some HOT weather since its snowing outside right now. When it finally gets hot, lots of cold water and frequent breaks.

3day240sx
03-23-2008, 07:12 PM
The 5 gallons will last for 2-3 guys. If you have more then that and are going to be out more then 6 hours then when you stop for lunch you can leave your guys at whatever restaurant your at and go refill the cooler. I normally buy one thing of ice from the local gas station on the way out every morning and on the really hot days it will still last through the whole day unless we drink all the water. The Gatorade or power-aid is good for you but if you drink a whole bottle then it can act like a soda to your body b/c it is more vitamins and nutrients but you have a thought in your mind that it is just like water. Keep in mind it is to replace the vitamins you lose when sweating not to actually quench your thurist. Hope we don't have a 110* summer here in the mid-south.

TNT MOWING
03-23-2008, 09:55 PM
2 little cups water to one cup Gatorade, that is how you are suppose to drink it. That is what I know from playing futbol (soccer for you geniuses) in Georgia heat so long.

instyle
03-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Powerade!!!!!!!

The 711's up here started selling powerade on the tap last summer. Each of us would go through 2 lites a day. It made a world of differance. I could tell when i needed it, and 10 mins after taking a real big gulp I would feel back up to par.

No word of a lie. It was the best thing I have done last season.

AndyTblc
03-23-2008, 10:15 PM
get a hard cab, and put an a/c unit on top and botta boom, you got your self a "cool" rig.

Valk
03-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Lots of water and do not wait until you're thirsty to drink
Small meals or snacks
A good shade hat for eyes, ears & neck (buy several as they need frequent washing)
Good safety-rated sunglasses
Carry several pairs of socks in your vehicle
No A/C during the day
Work smart and steady when it's hot

Eat lots of veggies - your BEST source of electrolytes.

A1Lawns
03-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Naturally, lots of water. Only drink what you NEED. You don't want to get over filled up with anything, even water. You want to stay and feel light in hot weather.
I notice the more I eat and if I drink any kind of sugary drinks, I sweat more and actually have less energy. If you must drink Gatorade, Powerade, etc, only drink a little at a time. You dont want to mess up your blood sugar levels in the heat. If you're going to eat, only eat A LITTLE when hungry.
Works for me, but frankly, I hate working in the heat at all. A good sweat is nice, but man I can sweat with the best of em. I sometimes go through 3 or more shirts in a day.
Oh, and also, PACE YOURSELF. Don't overdue it in the heat no matter what age you are, it's not worth it.

coopmaster
07-18-2008, 11:25 PM
The biggest key to hydration is to start early. I drink at least 16 ounces water before I get started. On a really hot day I will drink about 80 ounces of water. Ice on the wrist helps cool you down and it helps with Carpel Tunnel numbness.

laxative
07-19-2008, 12:07 AM
Bought 2 pairs of white painter's pants yesterday. Wore some today. Made a difference. Also put zinc diaper rash stuff on my neck. Kept it white and cool.

redmax fan
07-19-2008, 12:14 AM
i use electric barber clippers to shear all the hair off my arms / legs / under arms / skull a couple times per month during the hot season and it keeps me way cooler .

STIHL GUY
07-19-2008, 12:20 AM
stay hydrated

jtlandscaping
07-19-2008, 12:21 AM
is it actually cooler wearing white pants or under armor rather than jean shorts and a white shirt?

greendoctor
07-19-2008, 01:36 AM
There is not a day under 80 here. So, I drink lots of water, start early, end by 11AM, use the time between 11 and 4 for work not requireing me to be out in the midday sun. Light, faded out jeans, white longsleeve canvas or oxford shirt. If it is too warm for me, or if I have to be out in the sun I keep the shirt wet. I never got used to heat, if anything I am getting more sensitive to it every year.

crazyman
07-20-2008, 08:35 PM
i allways tell guys drink plenty of fluids. Oh and if you cant take the heat get off the lawn

CrystalCreek
07-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Work naked;) just remember to use LOTS OF SUN SCREEN down under.:laugh: Just kidding, covering up is very important as skin cancer is no joke.

bohiaa
07-20-2008, 11:54 PM
When it gets to upper 90's/100 go for Gatorade. Last year I began cramping with just water, and was drinking plenty. Gatorade made all the difference in the world.

Get the powder and mix your own ... waaaay cheaper.

Why would anyone drink gatorade ?

MowHouston
07-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Why would anyone drink gatorade ?

Why wouldn't they?

JeffNY
07-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Why wouldn't they?

I know right? I can't imagine that was a serious question, especially without something to back it up

Allens LawnCare
07-21-2008, 01:47 PM

I have a GMC 4500...AC works great if I'm driving..not to mention I've had the clip on the AC compressor replaced twice because it unplugs it self......Buy a Ford

corey4671
07-21-2008, 01:56 PM
honestly with my silverado and my wife's trailblazer for that matter we let the A/C run to get cold and then turn the compressor off. Leave in on the recirculation mode so it just keeps cycling the cold air through the car. Works great on long trips an saves a little on gas too.

J&R Landscaping
07-21-2008, 06:40 PM
you'll get use to it.

Bingo! The first few weeks of hotter weather every season is a bit tough but once your warmed up to it, your fine. (At least thats how it is for me.)

I usually keep a cooler in the truck, plenty of Gatorade, water, sprite and such.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Only water Again only water!! I Drink water and no gimmicks do the trick. Water Water Water Period.

You do need to replace electrolytes as well and water does not contain them alone. You can drink water before/during/after work on a hot, hot day and you may still cramp up due to a few things water is missing that your body need to recoup. Ample water is a good start, but a solid rehydration drink is much better. Not talking about the sugar/carb loaded ones either. This is the route I go and I love the product I use for all around hydration and recovery.

81Bronk36
07-21-2008, 09:56 PM
I notice the first lawn is always the worst, I sweat the most. I run the A/C as little as possible to stay used to the heat. I also run our A/C in the house at 80 and it is plenty cool when its 100 out. Stay hydrated.