PDA

View Full Version : 2000 ford f250 transmission leak. Need Help!!

kklick
03-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Guys got a question about a trans leak.

I have a 2000 ford f250 v-10 150,000 miles with an auto transmission. Not sure of the trans model though.

Here is the problem. I drove the truck hard today. From columbus oh to charlotte nc pulling a 4700lb trailer. Once I got to charlotte i noticed a little smoke coming from under the truck. Crawl under there and the rubber plug or seal on the front bottom of the transmission is leaking fluid onto the exhasut.

I'm assuming its probably from getting hot and stretching out a bit but I don't for sure. Is this something thats common? Can I pull it and replace it or should I take it in somewhere.

I dropped the trailer for the week and have to drive on down to sc for 4 days tomorrow. Then I come back fri pick up trailer and a 3500lb skid steer and head back to columbus. I want to make sure everythings ok before I head home. I need some suggestions or some info as to what I should do.

Thanks

kubotab7200
03-22-2008, 10:45 PM
i would try to get it fixed before u do anymore driving or pullin with it cuz trans fluid will burn, and u know how those fords r when it comes to fire. a friend of mine had a truck leak trans fluid on the exhaust and it started on fire but it was his fault for hot roding it.

kklick
03-22-2008, 11:04 PM
I was afraid of that as well. We run a used oil furnace in the shop and it will burn trans fluid so that was making me nervous as well.

I might try and find someone in the area here tomorrow to look at it. Problem is I'm sure most places will be closed tomorrow. And of course since I'm out of town I have no idea where anything is. Time to break out the good old phone book.

TXNSLighting
03-23-2008, 01:47 PM
your trans is a 4r100 for what its worth. Get it checked out, doesnt sound to serious.