PDA

View Full Version : New d-max. People are telling me to put in a chip?

meets1
03-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Should I or not. Only have 1500 miles on it. Some have said for better milage - I don't really know - much less know much about a chip. Does it void warrenty at all? Should I or not?

SimonCX
03-22-2008, 11:54 PM
If you chip it, say goodbye to your warranty.

kubotab7200
03-22-2008, 11:56 PM
hell if it runs and pulls good i would leave it the way it is, but they sure r fun with a chip the d max is one bad mofo with out one. the ones ive seen with a chip will flat out hual ass. im not sure if it will void warranty or not, u need to consult with ur dealer if ur thinkin about a chip.

kubotab7200
03-22-2008, 11:57 PM
o it will void the warranty. in that case wait till its up and then chip it

Petr51488
03-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Yes, it will void the warrenty. These new duramaxes have enough power, why chip it? I've done alot of reading on the chips. In the long run, its not good for the engine. I would say leave it, but its your truck.. I will never chip mine.

Blueribbonlawns
03-23-2008, 12:09 AM
You might get 2mpg better that's it im going to put the cat black system from GM on mine this summer once i get some money and since it's from gm it wont void the warrenty.

meets1
03-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Alright then - that was easy. No need for a chip. Rightn ow - pulling has been good but it is also late winter here and haven't pulled anything real heavy or far away yet - but soon spring and summer and fall will be here to enjoy the new found freedoms of the D-max!

Blueribbonlawns
03-23-2008, 12:27 AM
I did some pullin today! Trailer 3100-Walker 1100-power rake 250-mowers 200-little wonder hpv-150 9 cubic yards of dead grass about 700-1000lbs ect 200=5,600lbs blowin by other lco's priceless!

Lynden-Jeff
03-23-2008, 12:35 AM
I have my 04 F250 chipped and run her hard. And I still have warrentee!! All depends on the dealer. You havent driven a diesel until you've chipped it. And maybe not with a duromax but I get alot better milage gains, more in the 4-6 MPG in the summer.

lawn king
03-23-2008, 10:53 AM
My new duramax has 365 hp. i have no intentions of chips or any other upgrades!

lawnspecialties
03-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Lawn King hit the nail on the head. This truck has 365 hp and well over 600 ft/lb of torque. WHY would anyone chip it or reprogram it unless they were racing it.

I bought a SuperChips Flashpaq for my '05 F-250 over a year ago. I bet I haven't used it for almost a year. To me, stock does great; especially when towing. If you want to make any mods, just free up some restrictions.

I have a 4" turbo-back exhaust, Accu-Fab intake elbow, and an S&B cold air intake. The truck loves it.

POPO4995
03-23-2008, 12:39 PM
I had my PSD 6.0 chipped, could race with Mustangs and Camaros. My Duramax is straight piped, no intentions of chipping it. It does void the warranty.

TXNSLighting
03-23-2008, 02:34 PM
You might get 2mpg better that's it im going to put the cat black system from GM on mine this summer once i get some money and since it's from gm it wont void the warrenty.

Why put a cat back exaust? thats pointless. You still only have the 3 and a half inch flow from turbo to cat. Doesnt help having 4 after that. It doesnt void your warranty to cut that cat.

TXNSLighting
03-23-2008, 02:36 PM
yeh you dont needa chip on these newer duramaxs. And why would you not think it would void the warranty? your adding more horsepower than the factory wants, therefore speeding up the dying process of your engine. come on now.

02DURAMAX
03-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Yea don't chip that neww LMM..No Warranty

ZX12R
03-23-2008, 04:19 PM
If it's a dedicated work truck,I would not chip it either. Put a good fuel conditioner in every tank.People are getting about 2 mpg better with the conditioner.

http://www.stanadyne.com/new/index.asp

meets1
03-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Ok, a fuel conditioner - such as want. I seen alot of these conditioners on the shelf at a local auto shop - what is best. That white truck - that looks just like my 07 we bought last fall except I have a BOSS V Xtreme plow.

topsites
03-23-2008, 05:58 PM
I'll chip one of my spare cars that I drive for fun, the kind of old 20-year power house I just love to take out about once a month or whatever that I keep around for me to work on as a hobby... A tinker toy, or a tuned ricer lol.

But not a working vehicle, unless there is guaranteed specific and proven figures for mpg gains. Because it's still going to take adjustment on the driver's part, if in fact it gets better FE it will also require a light foot on the throttle despite heavy-duty power gains from under the hood just BEGGING you to give it more (take it from me, it's not that easy to do, not at all lol).

It's up to you but I wouldn't.

ZX12R
03-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Meets1,I am using Stanadyne Performance Formula in my Duramax which is bone stock and will stay that way. Below is a site for Duramax guys.Go there,register,and do some research.You will find most are using the Stanadyne addative.

On a side note,the new ULSD takes the lubricating properties out of the fuel. The addative will replace them.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php

Blueribbonlawns
03-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Why put a cat back exaust? thats pointless. You still only have the 3 and a half inch flow from turbo to cat. Doesnt help having 4 after that. It doesnt void your warranty to cut that cat.

No it wont void the warrenty but why is it pointless i thought if you straight pipe it it will have less back pres and suck the exhaust out quicker and it is a 5 inch pipe but idk about the turbo to the cat???
No im keeping the cat and ditchin the muffler.

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
03-25-2008, 01:53 AM
Will it void the warrenty, maybe. I know my GM dealers around here actually sell chips and install them. I asked them straight out if it would void the warrenty "depends, have we voided one yet, no." Every diesel I have owned has had a chip in it. Sometimes its just a simple tow tune, but the dealer looked at me kinda wierd when I come in with a 4 gauge pillar, and 5" exhuast, huge air cleaner, but nothing was said. I know alot of guys that have chips, as long as you dont get crazy, I am almost certain it wont cause any problems.....

Blueribbonlawns
03-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Will it void the warrenty, maybe. I know my GM dealers around here actually sell chips and install them. I asked them straight out if it would void the warrenty "depends, have we voided one yet, no." Every diesel I have owned has had a chip in it. Sometimes its just a simple tow tune, but the dealer looked at me kinda wierd when I come in with a 4 gauge pillar, and 5" exhuast, huge air cleaner, but nothing was said. I know alot of guys that have chips, as long as you dont get crazy, I am almost certain it wont cause any problems.....

They said it wont but that still dosent answer my question what will it help if i straight pipe it?

JShe8918
03-26-2008, 01:20 AM
It will not void your warranty. My 05 LLY duramax has a warranty with a bullydog triple dog programer. It will not hurt your duramax at all. My brother has proved that numerous times. Lets see 2004 LLY with PPE on the highest setting which is 350 horse more at the flywheel. lived until May of 2006 when he totaled it..... He gave it hell all day everyday. Not to mention it had 14X,XXX miles on it and 35" tires. Then he got a 2006 GMC ALC conversion with a banks big hoss bundle had a warranty. Totaled it on MY 18th birthday 7 months ago. And now has an 2007 Classic LBZ southern comfort conversion with 37's and an EFI live. Which is the strongest and most capable programmer on the market due to you can make your own tunes on your computer and them load them to you truck. Well moral of the story is. I would worry about the engine as much as i would the whole truck. Those chipps are the reason that he has totaled them all. Get a chip if you have self control. Not to do the endless burnouts and being able to out run a camaro. I am sure it will have some effect but it won't be bad if you dont romp it to much....

JShe8918
03-26-2008, 01:22 AM
I meant I wouldn't worry to much about the engine.

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
03-26-2008, 01:41 AM
They said it wont but that still dosent answer my question what will it help if i straight pipe it?

I dont think they would even bat an eye at it... All the dealers around here want to keep the customer happy...An exhuast is no big deal

JohnnyRoyale
03-26-2008, 09:33 AM
I have my 04 F250 chipped and run her hard. And I still have warrentee!! All depends on the dealer. You havent driven a diesel until you've chipped it. And maybe not with a duromax but I get alot better milage gains, more in the 4-6 MPG in the summer.

I agree with you Jeff-I Superchipped my F250, 7.3 Powerstroke, and immediately noticed more power and increased MPG. I put 1200-1500 km's a week on my truck with at minimum 400 litres of fuel in the transfer tank in the bank and it still hauls a$*-truck currently has at 600,000 KMS-i'm hoping to get 1,000,000 km before I hand it down:laugh:

Blueribbonlawns
03-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I dont think they would even bat an eye at it... All the dealers around here want to keep the customer happy...An exhuast is no big deal

WHAT WILL IT HELP!!!

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
03-26-2008, 06:32 PM
WHAT WILL IT HELP!!!

Opps sorry missed that, most people say a slight increase in MPG's, lower egt's, slighty faster turbo spool up, not to mention it makes the duramax sound very nice

Blueribbonlawns
03-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Thats what i needed thanks

DoetschOutdoor
03-26-2008, 09:16 PM
It will not void your warranty. My 05 LLY duramax has a warranty with a bullydog triple dog programer. It will not hurt your duramax at all. My brother has proved that numerous times. Lets see 2004 LLY with PPE on the highest setting which is 350 horse more at the flywheel. lived until May of 2006 when he totaled it..... He gave it hell all day everyday. Not to mention it had 14X,XXX miles on it and 35" tires. Then he got a 2006 GMC ALC conversion with a banks big hoss bundle had a warranty. Totaled it on MY 18th birthday 7 months ago. And now has an 2007 Classic LBZ southern comfort conversion with 37's and an EFI live. Which is the strongest and most capable programmer on the market due to you can make your own tunes on your computer and them load them to you truck. Well moral of the story is. I would worry about the engine as much as i would the whole truck. Those chipps are the reason that he has totaled them all. Get a chip if you have self control. Not to do the endless burnouts and being able to out run a camaro. I am sure it will have some effect but it won't be bad if you dont romp it to much....

Wow, your bro sounds like he really deserves all of those nice trucks. Must be a hell of a driver to total one truck and then do it again...:hammerhead:

JShe8918
03-27-2008, 12:10 AM
It's bad to say but he has been drinking since his mom died. And he has a real problem with it now. Dad just funded the first duramax and part of the second. Dad gives him more stuff than he does me cause i am actually trying to make something of myself rather than run off "daddy's business". He was partners in Browder Veneer for almost 25 years and just bought out his partner this past year for almost 3 million. I am going to college, working a full time job, and taking care of 23 yards. So i get the same amount of money spent on me just not on toys but on education. This one he has now should last a long time cause it is no longer his daily driver. Hard to drive a 70,000 dollar truck everyday.

skidster32
03-27-2008, 03:19 AM
yeah really if u mess with any of that kind of stuff u can kiss ur warranty goodbye. dont take the cat off dont do turbo back, dont chip it...but u can do a cat back and not void the warranty. usually if u take the cat off or the whole muffler off u will throw a code and go into a limp mode, which limits you to 45mph tops..i know this is true on the newer models but im not so sure about the older ones.

JShe8918
03-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Just talked to my dealer. He said that since it has that fuel regeneration where it cleans out the particulate filter that you can put a catback on the 07.5 and newer but anything else as far as exhaust your warranty is terminated. Also said it doesn't matter about handheld programmers because they never will know they are there as long as you detune it before you bring it. "It didn't matter about all of that stuff until all of these damn emissions came into play!" My service manager said.

coolluv
03-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Your dealer is full of it. If you detune it as he said it will still show up on the ECM that you have been running a tuner. GM. put out a special TSB Bulletin on the use of after market tuners and how to detect them using the Tech 2 scan tool. If they find that you have been using a tune your warranty is history.

Some dealers may overlook it until you have a major warranty problem come up. If it is a major fix, your screwed. You wanna play you gotta pay. I have been doing a bunch of research on these and it seems to me that the people who install these either have a huge amount of problems because of them or they have none whatsoever. (Most have major problems)

GM has spent many hours and miles testing these engines and they have them tuned for optimum performance and longevity. Adding tuners only shortens the life of the motor and tranny. Anyone who tells you different is full of it.

MPG gains are minimal at best, and as far as performance, yeah you can run the crap out of it and race corvettes and put up a good show. But why? I can't see the need for more power or torque than what comes from the factory.

But hey its your ride do as you please. Do your research and I think you will find your answer. These guys telling you to tune your truck have nothing to lose its not their warranty or wallet.

Dave...

tthomass
03-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Or if you know a mechanic at a dealership that will look past any findings of a tune....... :)

I plan to put a programmer on my new '07 DMAX. I just flipped about 11,500 miles already adn waiting until about 15,000 to see what my mileage is. I'm only planning to do it for MPG gains. The truck has plenty of power! I've already towed 13,000 lbs behind it for a 500 mile trip with lots of grade changes.........pulled like a charm. Automatic grade braking is nice too!

Towing that I got 10mpg. Usually a highway trip + some running around = 18mpg. Usual running around, mixed driving = 16mpg. While cruising at 69mph I reset the MPG indicator and it read out on 20mpg after about 50 miles of driving.

mybowtie
03-29-2008, 12:13 AM

If your going for a 07.5 LMM NBS, the the exhaust IS a big deal. The LMM has a DPF filter in the exhaust, and if thats removed the dealer will know it.
Not to mention the truck will go into limp mode if it dosent regen(clean the filter) every so often. Some programmers have a DPF delete, but your asking for problems.

If your getting an 07 classic or older, then an exhuaust shouldnt be a problem. I didnt read entire thread, so if your not talking about a LMM,
sorry for the post....