PDA

View Full Version : '04 F350 6.0L questions..

PlatinumLandCon
03-22-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm lookin at a '04 F350 auto 4x4 CC LB with the 6.0L diesel. I've heard bad things about the 6L but is it really a concern? The truck has 153k on it.

kubotab7200
03-22-2008, 11:50 PM
yes thats a huge concern, i have never owned one but ive seen thier problems. one friend bought a 2003 model brand new he had 2 months and had 2 put a new set of heads on it, in the year and half he had it they put 3 sets of heads on it, and the turbo went out once. another friend had one also new an 04 model, he had it a year and it was in the shop 7 months out of that year. almost exactly one year after he purchased it it cought on fire in his garage and burned the truck and the garage down. also another friend has one and has had no trouble with it in 2 years. thats 2 big of a gamble for me 2 own one. i would go with a d max or cummins, hope this helps!!

twj721
03-22-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm lookin at a '04 F350 auto 4x4 CC LB with the 6.0L diesel. I've heard bad things about the 6L but is it really a concern? The truck has 153k on it.

run from it the fuel mileage sucks when pulling a trailer that was the only reason I traded my 04 in with only 51,000 miles

kubotab7200
03-23-2008, 12:05 AM
How Do Double The Value Of A Ford?

Fill It Up With Gas!!!!!!!

Gravel Rat
03-23-2008, 12:21 AM
The 6.0s worst enemy is the dealer. If the dealer mechanics are no good at diagnosing and repairing problems with the 6.0 they have problems. You look at 99% of the problems and it is dealer related. It also is the owner of the vehical causing the problems like adding mods etc.

My 03 has been pretty well problem free it had a ICP valve change and I changed the EGR valve and had a reflash. I bought the truck used it has 78,000kms (48,470 miles) on the odo. I know two 03 6.0s that have been trouble free both one owner trucks and a familly friends 04 6.0 trouble free. There are numerous other 6.0s in the area that are trouble free.

That truck you are looking at mcb is a little high on the mileage or it is for us here in Canada it has 244,800kms which is quite abit anything above 200,000kms you take a risk.

I'am not scared of the 6.0 I would take a 6.0 over a Duramax or Cummins. For one the GM dealer has no compentent diesel mechanics and the Dodge dealer has no diesel mechanic you buy a diesel truck from the Dodge dealer you have to fix it yourself or drive 200 miles to another dealer.

Would I buy the truck mentioned maybe but like I said it is a little high on the mileage. It doesn't matter if its a Duramax or Cummins when your reaching the 240,000km mark the truck is worn out. A Dodge at 240,000kms has had the front end,brakes,unit wheel bearings,rear springs all replaced. Chevy all the ball joints and A arm bushings will be need replacing.

On the Ford 4x4s it is brakes and ball joints.

A 2003 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins power with 244,000kms you will be lucky to get 8000.00 for it a Chev you may get the same a Ford 12,000.

There are more 6.0 Fords on the road than Dodge or Chevy trucks. The new 6.7 Dodge trucks are having worse problems the 6.0s ever dreamed of the Dodge dealers are not selling many 6.7s with their horrible fuel mileage and problematic emmision systems and Dodge dealers with untrained mechanics and Cummins dealers don't want anything to do with Dodge P/U trucks.

kubotab7200
03-23-2008, 12:35 AM
ball joints and a arm bushings on chevys go out after about 200 000 miles trust me ive owned a couple of them and they served me well. and the d max will outrun and out pull the 6.0 powerjoke all day long and get twice the fuel milage doin it. ford had a good diesel and they had to mess it up. and gm has no competant diesel mechanics becuz they dont need them unlike ford. a good friend of mine works at a ford dealer in the parts department and he told me they replace 5 or 6 turbo chargers a week. and at least with gm u dont worry about cruise catchin on fire or watchin the news and seeing ur ford truck on the recall list again. i would rather put ball joints on a chevy at 200 000 miles than pay for a ford that wont make it that far!!!

kubotab7200
03-23-2008, 01:14 AM
go with another chevy you wont regret it!!!

Sunscaper
03-23-2008, 10:37 AM
My 04 6.0 has almost 60k now and still no problems to speak of. Alot of the retoric regarding the 6.0 is the early 2003 models. After 153k I would feel safe buying it.

Lynden-Jeff
03-23-2008, 10:38 AM

So your over here from plow site lol. Well I plow with a 6.0L, Currently has 120,000 KM on it. I bought it at 80,000. So far it has New head gasket, new turbo and new EGR cooler. However this was cause by the last guy, who beat the hell out of it with a tuner. I would not buy any other truck, I love mine. All work has been done under warrentee, but if you are at 152,000 I would get it checked out before it runs out of warrentee. An oasis report is key, however having a dealer check it out is important.

My diesel mechanic in Burlington is second to none (it is a ford dealership), it would be worth your time bringing it down to get him to check it out. Like GravelRat said, MECHANIC IS KEY and my guy is top notch, very glad I found him. Also do you really want a LB CC? Nightmare for plowing.

Cheers
Jeff

PlatinumLandCon
03-23-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm now considering what Gravel Rat said. It does have a lot of km's for an 04. I'm now looking at a '99 Ram 2500 cummins 4x4 QC LB.

I have 2 friends that are certified "Truck & Coach" mechanics (both graduated from my high school 3 years ago) and now they're working at truck shops. The one guy works at a Mack/Cummins specialized shop 5 mins from my house and the other works at a HUGE International dealership about 15 mins from my house. My uncle has also owned the cummins 5.9L since they came out in '89 (i think?).

The guy wants $11,500 for a the Ram w/ 240,000km. Good deal?

PlatinumLandCon
03-23-2008, 10:45 AM
So your over here from plow site lol.

Actually I started here:drinkup: lol. I think you're right about the CC LB though, it would be a PITA not to mention completely eliminating the possibility of doing residentials.

Lynden-Jeff
03-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Actually I started here:drinkup: lol. I think you're right about the CC LB though, it would be a PITA not to mention completely eliminating the possibility of doing residentials.

Look for super cab short bed or a Reg cab long bed. I love mine.

lawnspecialties
03-23-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure about the plowing aspect of it. But getting a CC long bed is for me perfect. You have a ton of space for hauling stuff. I've thrown 500 lbs. of seed in the back seat (folded up) to keep it out of any rain. Once you use a long bed, I can't imagine ever going back to anything shorter.

As for the 6.0, I have been extremely pleased with mine but it's an '05. I have a full MBRP 4" exhaust, Accu-Fab intake elbow, and S&B cold air intake installed. I also have a SuperChips Flashpaq reprogrammer for it but haven't used it for months. To me, the truck does great in stock mode. Yes, the '03 6.0s were pretty rough and the '04s were a little better. But a truck with that many miles has most likely already proven itself worthy.

TXNSLighting
03-23-2008, 01:42 PM
yeh pretty impressive with that many miles. but 05+ are the 6.0's to get. And the 6.0's will run right with the duramaxs. I know, i own a duramax and have owned a 6.0. Fords are excellent trucks, 6.0's will higher mileage are advertisments for itself. But since its an 04 i dont think i would get it. and cummins came out way back in 80. if not earlier..wasnt alive back then. ha!

nosparkplugs
03-23-2008, 04:30 PM
This Lawsuit is ongoing, Also GM is hurting for Cash, Sold it's medium duty engine rights to International, GM Medium truck lovers will soon be powered buy International. The 6.4L are powerful/Twin Turbo's much to go wrong, as lawsuit says. Regardless of your opinion of a "dealer Mechanic" you must have your 6.4L serviced buy the Blue oval people, thats were the problem lie's most 6.4L powerstroke owners "work" their trucks, and are experiencing downtime & lost revenue. With so many 6.4L on the road this is a serious issue. 08 6.4L may be left to "foot" the repair bill, if International can win the Warranty lawsuit against Ford? It's just not worth the risk. Buy a Duramax if you hate the Cummins. So many ford diesel engines since 1979 7.3L, 6.0L, 6.4L, roll the dice?. The 6.0L is in this Lawsuit as well.

Ford has not been having much luck with the 6.4-liter diesel engines for its Super Duty trucks of late. In the latest twist of a saga that began in January, Navistar, the company that makes those engines, had added additional charges to its $2 billion counter-suit against Ford.

Navistar has been the exclusive maker of Ford's Super Duty diesel truck engines since 1979. In January of this year, Ford sued Navistar over the price of the engine and excessive warranty claims. In February, Navistar halted shipments of the just launched 6.4-liter engines, saying Ford had stopped paying for them. Ford got a court order to compel Navistar to ship the engines (which Ford paid for) -- then Ford had to recall more than 8,000 trucks because customers were reporting tailpipe fires. Navistar has now filed a counterclaim that seeks more than $2 billion in damages, and alleges that Ford is planning to develop its own diesel engines prior to 2012. There is no indication as to which party, Ford or Navistar, has a better case. For now, though, while the engine issues can't be good for Navistar, it is far more damaging for Ford to have to deal with these kinds of problems with its newly-launched bread-and-butter vehicle.

full article link
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/02/navistar-slaps-with-ford-with-2-billion-lawsuit/

PlatinumLandCon
03-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Buy a Duramax if you hate the Cummins.

Why would one hate the cummins? Dodge needs to learn how to assemble a solid suspension/steering system, but other than that they're solid trucks.

nosparkplugs
03-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Born & raised in Flint, MI the GM truck capital when I was young, father was an engineer at GM 35 years RIP. He only purchased Chevrolet; because if you drove one of the other's you would get keyed, or flats. i grew up on the Chevrolet BS. I recently had my 02 Dodge aligned, and the alignment "tech" said that Chevrolet & Dodge share many of the same suspension/alignment components, even the same steering gears. A Ford truck is the easiest to align, but has the most slop.

Gravel Rat
03-23-2008, 07:18 PM
The older Dodges have bad problems with the the front end. The B.C. gov't bought hundreds of Dodge trucks and pretty much got every single one of them. The 4x4s all had the same problems the front suspension/front end falling apart, brakes, wheelbearings etc.

Around here the Cummins in Dodge P/U trucks are still running but the rest of the truck is falling apart. A Dodge truck with 240,000kms will be a rattle trap the engine has another 100,000kms before its worn out.

The truck you want to buy is one from a old retired person they bought the truck to pack a camper pull their trailer the odd time. Usually the truck isn't abused and or driven hard. My brother bought his Dodge that way a old geezer owned it since new it is in good shape. As typical Dodge trucks are it needed ball joints, new U joints I forget the kilometers but it was around 220,000 truck is a 94 with the 12 valve.

J&R Landscaping
03-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Why would one hate the cummins? Dodge needs to learn how to assemble a solid suspension/steering system, but other than that they're solid trucks.

It would also help if they did some work in the tranny dept.

kubotab7200
03-23-2008, 07:55 PM
:gmctruck: me and my family have driven chevy trucks for years, one uncle is a ford boy and he keeps tryin to use them on the farm and they just cant hold up. he has five fords sittin in his back pasture all broke and not worth fixin again. its kinda funny an 89 half ton chevy haulin the tanks and pulling the trailer that two fords broke down tryin to pull. and that chevy has a 305 in it and didnt get any front end work till it had 190 000 miles on it. he told me when he buys another truck it will be a chevy, he likes not makin a trip to the repair shop once a month like he was with his fords!!!!!!

TXNSLighting
03-24-2008, 09:27 AM
:gmctruck: me and my family have driven chevy trucks for years, one uncle is a ford boy and he keeps tryin to use them on the farm and they just cant hold up. he has five fords sittin in his back pasture all broke and not worth fixin again. its kinda funny an 89 half ton chevy haulin the tanks and pulling the trailer that two fords broke down tryin to pull. and that chevy has a 305 in it and didnt get any front end work till it had 190 000 miles on it. he told me when he buys another truck it will be a chevy, he likes not makin a trip to the repair shop once a month like he was with his fords!!!!!!

im callin bs

kubotab7200
03-24-2008, 06:24 PM
u can call bs all u want, every bit of that is true if u dont like it thats ur business. this isnt worth arguing with some dumbass over. ryan just dont start a fight u cant handle.

TXNSLighting
04-07-2008, 09:16 PM
well!! im sorry i guess i cant handle anything, woops!! excuse me master..i love the name calling on the big bad internet big guy. O im still callin bs on your dumbass. ha!

dirtybiz
04-08-2008, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't go for it if i were you, I had an 03 & 04 6.0L and they motors are very troublesome. As far as the trucks they were great, but to many problems with the first 2-3 years of the 6.0L, especially with that kind of mileage. I would buy a 03 7.3L with 200+K before i would buy that 6.0L. Just be careful, great truck, bad motor.

Oh, and i call BS too, lol!!! I have never seen a chevy out last a ford!!! Especially an 89 chevy!!

TXNSLighting
04-08-2008, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't go for it if i were you, I had an 03 & 04 6.0L and they motors are very troublesome. As far as the trucks they were great, but to many problems with the first 2-3 years of the 6.0L, especially with that kind of mileage. I would buy a 03 7.3L with 200+K before i would buy that 6.0L. Just be careful, great truck, bad motor.

Oh, and i call BS too, lol!!! I have never seen a chevy out last a ford!!! Especially an 89 chevy!!

ha yay!! thanks!

newlooklandscp
04-10-2008, 12:41 AM
2006 6.0L here with 70,000 miles on it highway, towing and 4 straight month of plowing this season. No problems at all. Love the 7.3 I have and the 6.0 ... looking forward to the 6.4 coming in tomorrow. WOOT

TXNSLighting
04-10-2008, 09:35 AM
you should love it! some of the first ones had problems but the newer ones are great!

J&R Landscaping
04-10-2008, 10:43 AM
you should love it! some of the first ones had problems but the newer ones are great!

Has the mpg gotten any better? What are the later trucks getting?

That being said, I have a 2006 f250 with 61k on it. Runs good, lots of power. No problems thus far though the mpg aint all that good.

dirtybiz
04-10-2008, 11:01 AM
I would buy a 06 or 07 6.0L wihtout thinking about it to much, but would definately shy away from 03, 04, and even most 05's had issues. The last two years the 6.0L have been pretty good thus far.

I have 08 6.4L that i have had for about 1 1/2 months now, only 1k on the ticker though, and so far average 12-13mpg in and around town. Hasn't left the county since i bought it, but will be taking it on a 800 mile trip this weekend, hopefully it gets a bit better on the highway. Love the truck, by far the best built and nicest truck i have ever owned, just don't love the -mileage. Some are reporting 17-21 mpg by removing dpf and running a chip/programmer, but i am not willing to void my warranty on a 50k truck, yet anyhow!

TrapperJohn
04-10-2008, 03:38 PM
have an 06 F350, 77k miles. No problems, runs well. Averaging around 14.5 mixed city/highway if you drive it real easy, seeing 19-20 at a steady 55, and that's with a crew cab and dually rear. A lot better than a gas engine will do, plus all that extra torque.

03 and 04 were troubled years for the 6.0. They had two basic problems - improper head bolt torque on the assembly line for some, and a bad batch of Siemens injectors that could break, flood a cylinder and hydrolock the engine. Given the deals they're making on big diesel trucks in general, you can find an 05 or 06 at a real good price. By far, the greatest number of problems with the 6.0 come from kids putting tuners on them and either blowing the head gaskets or overheating the exhaust. Leave them stock and 05 and newer are solid engines. With the price of diesel, who could afford to hotrod one anyway?

05 and newer have a much better front suspension. Went to coil springs for a better ride, and tightened the turning circle.

Had a Chevy 6.2 diesel K20 years ago. It ran good up to 100k miles, then a lot of things started going wrong. A neighbor tried to farm with an early Tundra. Body didn't hold up very well, dented if you sneezed on it. And he ran into transmission trouble after towing trailers. So they all have problems.

TXNSLighting
04-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Has the mpg gotten any better? What are the later trucks getting?

That being said, I have a 2006 f250 with 61k on it. Runs good, lots of power. No problems thus far though the mpg aint all that good.

its gotten a little better but that dang dpf is whats makin em get crappy fuel mileage! without em you can see 4-5 mpg better!!

mag360
04-10-2008, 08:01 PM
The 6.0s worst enemy is the dealer. If the dealer mechanics are no good at diagnosing and repairing problems with the 6.0 they have problems. You look at 99% of the problems and it is dealer related. It also is the owner of the vehical causing the problems like adding mods etc.

My 03 has been pretty well problem free it had a ICP valve change and I changed the EGR valve and had a reflash. I bought the truck used it has 78,000kms (48,470 miles) on the odo. I know two 03 6.0s that have been trouble free both one owner trucks and a familly friends 04 6.0 trouble free. There are numerous other 6.0s in the area that are trouble free.

A 2003 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins power with 244,000kms you will be lucky to get 8000.00 for it a Chev you may get the same a Ford 12,000.

There are more 6.0 Fords on the road than Dodge or Chevy trucks. The new 6.7 Dodge trucks are having worse problems the 6.0s ever dreamed of the Dodge dealers are not selling many 6.7s with their horrible fuel mileage and problematic emmision systems and Dodge dealers with untrained mechanics and Cummins dealers don't want anything to do with Dodge P/U trucks.

A 2003 cummins or duramax 4x4 with 150,000 miles is worth more than double what you claim. Not sure if you got carried away or what but I don't think there has been a duramax or common rail cummins yet that sold for less than 5 digits. I thought trucks were expensive in your area.

mag360
04-10-2008, 08:06 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=224809

duramax on this site---2001 160,000 miles. A lot more than $8,000

mag360
04-13-2008, 11:04 AM

Maybe the chevy had an easier life up until now? We have had a couple fords that wouldn't quit ('80 f100 4.9, '92 f250 7.3) I believe you sometimes wind up with a winner.

Green Grass
04-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I love my 05 with the 6.0 86,000 and has never been in the shop. Truck runs strong and i get about 13mpg with pulling 10,000lbs. I had an 03 with the 6.0 the truck was in the shop a couple times for injectors but other then that they are great! Uncle has an 04 with the 6.0 never had a problem.