PDA

View Full Version : how much to charge

Keeping Eden
03-23-2008, 11:41 AM
I have started maintenance for a property that was planted just over a year ago. We have had an unusually hard winter in the Boise, Idaho area and they have had alot of plant death. I have been asked to note all plants needing replacement. What I am trying to decide is what to charge for the labor portion. Can some of you share how you might bid plant replacement?

Thanks,
Jodie

JNyz
03-23-2008, 11:47 AM
3 times material cost, which includeds the plant, installation and a six month warranty.

KanAg
03-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Straight basic labor rate (no mechanical equipment) with Zero warranty unless I have a contract for scheduled upkeep as well as being able to select the vendor to purchase the plants from. Costs too much in word of mouth for plants that die or don't do well. On plants/trees I charge plant price X 50% for my mark up.

JNyz
03-23-2008, 02:39 PM
You really can't give an answer to that without knowing the size of plants you will be replacing. Are you looking for a hourly rate? If not 1.5 times plant cost for labor. If the plant cost 30.00 you charge her 45 to install it with no warranty and you don't purchase the plant. If you have employees charge 50.00/man hour. If you are solo charge at least 65.00/ hr.

Keeping Eden
03-24-2008, 12:51 AM
Thank you for your responses. Great feedback! This site really does work by the "kindness of strangers."

Jodie

CALandscapes
03-26-2008, 01:42 AM
I mark up all plants (at least the ones I'm able to buy wholesale). Personally, I know what the going rate for plants in my area are.

As far as the labor, I bid jobs by time - I try to keep it at either half days or days; i.e. - if it's a half day job for a four man crew, I charge $600 (half day = 5 hrs x $30/man-hour).

Also, don't forget the cost of fertilizer, pre-emergent, mulch, etc.

As far as warranty is concerned, I never warranty plant material unless we install irrigation or the customer has an existing system.