PDA

View Full Version : Frequency of cuts?

lawnalbert
03-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Since grass doesn't grow at the same rate during the growing season, how do you sell your service?
a) "x" number of cuts for certain months, then "y" number of cuts for
certain other months?
b) "x" number of cuts a month during every month of the growing
season?
c) keep the grass cut at "x" inches throughout the growing season,
cutting as need be depending upon need and give an estimate as to
how many cuts it would usually entail in the respective months?
d) something else entirely?
All responses will be much appreciated.

Sunstate Lawn
03-23-2008, 01:48 PM
The grass grows pretty consistently where I'm from.

Rhett
03-23-2008, 03:17 PM
In spring startws a two weeks. As the grass starts gowing goes to weekly. Stay weekly till Oct or NOv. Bi weekly till it goes dormat or winter rye comes in.

john3253
03-25-2008, 04:11 AM
Most of my residentials are on a service contract and I mow weekly from March thru October and Biweekly from Nov. thru Feb.

john3253
03-25-2008, 04:13 AM
Also the monthly price stays the same even during the winter months.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-25-2008, 05:02 PM
albert - i assume since you are in md you are on more of a northern seasonal schedule than some of these southern year round guys...in other words you have some snow and freezing temps.
I don't think you need to guarantee any # of cuts during any particular month. Just advise in your agreement you cut weekly. In 'normal' months that may be a 4 cut or 5 cut month. If its ideal growing conditions, you may show up an extra time or two per month to keep things under control. Likewise, if it is dry, you may skip a week here or there. The important thing is that YOU have control over when you cut, and you bill monthly based upon how many cuts you did.
I personally don't use any of that level pay stuff, if my clients can't afford an extra cut a month I probably don't want em anyway.

CLARK LAWN
03-25-2008, 06:01 PM
i wouldnt tell them any amount of cuts,two years ago we had a week of solid rain,not just showers but steady rain like 4" so some yards went 10-14 days before it got cut.

Down2EarthLawns
03-25-2008, 11:02 PM
I am in a different growing area. But, I try to get my customers to look at the "yearly" aspect of service. Meaning my service is sold as 40-45 cuts per year. I don't guarantee monthly #'s, but I do promise 40 cuts for the year.

Harshman
03-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Each lawn is different, but I generally mow monthly in the dormant season, biweekly now with some weekly clients and then go weekly around April thru October.

Remember, fertilized lawns grow faster and need cut more often, so dont forget to upsell those extra services.

lawnalbert
03-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Thank you.....the responses have been extremely helpful.
I'm not sure how I'll word it yet, but the concept will be as often as needed, subject to a minimum (2) or maximum (4) cuts/month. I'll charge by the cut.
How does this sound to you experienced LCO's in the Northeast?

mjlcare
03-26-2008, 08:08 PM
i wouldnt tell them either how many cuts i would tell them the contract is suppose to be for say 38 cuts over the next 12 months, and they should understand that if it rains you wont run ruts in their grass or such but stay away from numbers as much as you can, i know i have a couple of customers that are real picky about how many cuts vs the price and so on so good luck and let us know what you contract comes out to look like PM for one of my contract would nt mind sending you one

Uranus
03-26-2008, 08:15 PM
I think since you don't know how fast grass grows that you may not know what you are doing. Go get a job with a professional landscape company and learn the biz before you contribute to the dumbing down of landscapers.