PDA

View Full Version : Thorny shrubs?

Bunton Guy
03-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Looking for a barier to plant inbetween my hybrid willows that will help stop the neighbors dog from coming onto our property?

The dog sits under our car port at 2AM and barks till we chase it off then it runs back to the house squeeling like we shot it! :hammerhead:

There is a leash law around here and the animal control has come to their house atleast 4-5 times. They won't take the dog till the people answer the door which they know the what happens if they do answer so they don't!:dizzy:

Anywho so I planted 30 hybrid willows which suposedly grow very very fast. They are 4-5ft. apart and I need shrubs to go between these that are low to the ground and will discourage any passer byes ?? any thoughts:confused:

Only thing I can think of is pyracantha. Althogh full of long thorns in most cases maybe not enough? Kinda nice that it flowers so it won't look like we did this on purpose as we would like to enjoy the colors at the same time as a solid barrier.

Not to mention even with our no tresspassing signs the neighbors walk onto our property and around the house when we are not home to get a glimps of my equiment around the house...taking photos so they can turn them into the local zoning office getting us in trouble on a regular basis.:nono:

mattfromNY
03-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Nice big bowl of antifreeze left in the carport will do the trick.

Bunton Guy
03-23-2008, 01:26 PM
ill admit I have thought of it. But with doing it that way its hard to control which animal gets it! im a dog lover and I don't want to kill the thing I just want to keep the thing on its property. If I kill their dog he will kill mine (when I get one)
Although I will keep mine in the fenced in area....regardless he is ruthless I know he will come around when im not looking and kill my dog. He has done it to a neighbor down the street.

BrandonV
03-23-2008, 04:58 PM
my friend there is no better shrub ilex cornuta ‘Rotunda’ /dwf chinese holly/ or just rotunda hollies or these are the medium growing VERY sharp, dense and low to the ground. Nothing in it right mind will make the trip through them.

Bunton Guy
03-23-2008, 05:26 PM
tomscreek: Aren't the cornuta rotunda's hard to get a hold of now days? I don't think any growers are really messing with these anymore?

mdvaden
03-23-2008, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't transplant a row of poison-oak, because if they pet their dog - you know what that means.

Enough sun for firethorn? Maybe keep it sheared small.

BrandonV
03-23-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't know. I'm kind of isolated since all by material come from our nursery. It is true about stuff getting scarce sometimes. We're having to go back into prop to keep the things we like in stock.

JNyz
03-23-2008, 06:51 PM
No matter what you plant he will find a way to come back because he likes it for some reason. Just put a BB or pellet in his ass once or twice that is all it will take and no one will know except. I know you are a dog lover but you have to do what you have to do. And you will save some money.

GravelyNut
03-23-2008, 07:01 PM
How about some nice Euphorbia? Or would it be too cold there for it?

mattfromNY
03-23-2008, 07:25 PM
pepper spray once or twice to the eyes will keep him at bay. No permanent effects other than he should remember not to come to your yard anymore. And, if his owner comes over, set the sprinkler system with a motion detector.

JNyz
03-23-2008, 07:43 PM
The neighbor did that to my dog. The only problem is the owner will know who did it. The dogs eyes will be almost completely closed for about 45 minutes. I took care of the neighbor one night when he went out. I hit his house with 35 paint balls. He hasn't bother us since.

east sooke man
03-23-2008, 08:21 PM
How about berberis, nice flower doesn't need a lot of care or water and some varieties can get 5 feet tall so you wouldn't even have to look at him

Bunton Guy
03-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I would spray the dog (and the owner) with pepperspray but im afraid they would be blinded enough to not be able to find there way back home! LOL

I will have to check into berberis

allinearth
03-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Osage orange is full of thorns. I also like the barberry idea. How bout an electric fence. Maybe one strand about 12" of the ground.

Dreams To Designs
03-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Berberis is an excellent idea, especially julianae, Wintergreen Barberry. Not Invasive, thorns from leaf tip to trunk, evergreen, great yellow fragrant flower in spring, dense habit, grows in sun or partial shade, zones 6 through 9 and their are a few cultivars that should fit your size requirements.

Pyracantha can work, but typically not as dense. For low areas, cotoneaster will likely keep the dog and other critters trapped, but it can also collect leaves. Shrub roses can work nicely and be enjoyable to look at. Rugosa rose is also a thorny plant from tip to stem, but may burn up in an area past zone 7.

Kirk

Sunstate Lawn
03-24-2008, 10:54 PM
What about Boganvillia? Grows like crazy, you can shape it however you want, and it's full of giant, pointy, spikes.

DiyDave
03-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Invite the doggie in, shave off all of his hair, except for a mohawk down the middle of his back, and break open one of those glowing gel lights, pour it down his back, then turn him loose, with a stern admonition to go straight home!

DoetschOutdoor
03-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Why do neighbors have to do such stupid crap to start things between people..must be a real prick to know he has a problem with his dog and not address it. People that let their dogs run off, even a few yards over, have no right having a dog. The fact that hes your neighbor makes it worse. Call the cops for the barking. Put a bb in his ass and he'll remember. Dogs remember everything.