PDA

View Full Version : Should i make an offer or not 1996 2500 dodge

pclawncare
03-23-2008, 02:55 PM
My neighbor has a 96 dodge single cab long bed with the cummins with about 220000 miles 3rd trans about 190000 but he takes great care of his stuff. Has airbags in the rear with in cab control spray in bed liner and just repainted this last year. Anyway i had already planned out buying another truck this year except i planned on spending about 20-25 thousand and getting a newer truck, but with this cummins i am wondering if i shouldnt just buy it and stick some money away for repairs and invest the other money that i have saved. Anyway he is asking 6000 right now been forsale for about 2 months and we are pretty good friends i though i might make him an offer around 4500 i think for that price i couldnt beat it and as far as being reliable i have a 1996 3/4 v 10 and a 2006 toyota tundra so i have some vehicles to get me by if something happens. I guess my question is 1 what would you offer for the truck (bluebook is about 6000) and 2 do you think i should just spend the money and get a much newer truck 2006-2007?

haybaler
03-23-2008, 03:37 PM
give him 5000 for it. you'll be happy. I have a '96 2500 with 270000 miles runs great.

topsites
03-23-2008, 04:42 PM
That's the whole thing about the Blue Book method, the haggling is over.
Folks like myself who do things this way prefer this method because we've eliminated the bs.

Because few vehicles are priced even close to blue book, most are so far overpriced you'll look long and hard and haggle your tail off before you even get one within range... So once I find one that's priced right my search is over, the bs stops here.
You're getting what it is worth today, dollar for dollar, no less, no more.

So if Blue book is 6000 then 6000 it's worth, I'm sorry but if the vehicle is priced at Blue Book I wouldn't dare make what I would consider an insulting offer... Most cars out there are so over-priced I don't even bother, but those are the kind to make offers on.
I shop strictly for Blue Booked cars and once the price is right I hand them the money, every last dollar of it.

Bare bones SLT I'm coming up with Fair $5,720
But add a few goodies and it jumps to 6,300...
You might can try 5900 but...

KS_Grasscutter
03-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Is it 4x4?

pclawncare
03-23-2008, 04:52 PM
I wish but no( id already own it if it was), but we dont plow snow down here really and my tundra is already 4 wheel. I have that v 10 and its 2 wd and it does what i need it to for work

Eclipse
03-23-2008, 05:31 PM
No 4 wheel drive.

Without more info I would say 5k.

Gravel Rat
03-23-2008, 07:25 PM
I converted that miles to kilometers it comes to 352,000 and you say its a 2wd the same truck here wouldn't ever sell you would get more money for scrap than trying to sell it. I would say the truck is only worth 3000 or what ever the engine core price is. If the truck was a 4x4 it might be worth it but being a 2wd nobody wants a 3/4 ton one wheel spin wonder. I imagine that truck gets stuck on wet pavement.

haybaler
03-23-2008, 07:34 PM
put good tires and a little weight in the back and you can go anywhere. the only drawback I see is being an automatic.

pclawncare
03-23-2008, 07:55 PM
I think that i will make him an offer i know he took great care of it and it does have almost new tires on it and expensive ones at that goodyear rangler 10ply about 5000mi on them. As for it not being 4wd i guess i never really need it like i said i already have another 2wd and it has worked fine for 5 yrs all i do is mow yards for the most part and the only time it will ever see off pavement is at the landfill and all the roads are rock there. I was just curious if anyone else thoght it woul be worth that kind of money. The body and frame are clean no dents no rust he has owned all of its life and thats been in oklahoma.

thefed
03-23-2008, 08:18 PM
offer him 4k...u can always go up LOL at the guy embarrassed to make a low offer

Eclipse
03-23-2008, 08:29 PM
The fact that you know the service history of the truck and how well the truck has been cared for is worth something. If it is a clean, solid truck, and assuming it is an SLT, as I already mentioned I do not think paying 5k would be out of line.

As far as dropping $5k or $25k. I prefer to own older trucks that have already suffered the bulk of their depreciation. That way I am not too upset when they get a new dent or scratch.

pclawncare
03-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Kind of the lines i was thinking along eclipse i just cant stand to work out of my tundra as it is leather limited i just cant stand getting the inside all dirty i spent too much on it to work out of it not to mention it does not pull my trailer very well. I think ill like that dodge if i get it. Also effecting my decision is that i am 2 yr through with 2 yr left to get my batchelors degree in accounting which means i will probably be doing this for 2 maybe 3 more season then after that i will sell or someone else will be driving the trucks which in that case i will take a huge hit in depriciation or someone will be beating on it every day.

thefed
03-23-2008, 09:31 PM
25k trucks are a bad business decision,regardless...imho

15k should get you anything you want in good shape...unless u really need some f-450 diesel super-lariat-crewcab-turbo charged-beast of a trick to tow your trailer...

in all reality,i wont spend more than 5-7k on a truck ever...2wd 1/2 ton works fine for landscaping...maybe a 3/4....

we spent a total of 5500 on 2 trucks 95 silverado and 95 f-150...80k, and 110k mi. respectively...they each did the trick last year...same as a 25k truck woulda done