PDA

View Full Version : Ontario Landscapers!!!!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

jwalker17
02-28-2009, 01:55 PM
wowwee I never even remember starting this thread LOL. I guess im heads been in plowing.

yeah same. lots of plowing/salting too.

PlatinumLandCon
03-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Jeff, what $$$ are we talking for the WB? I need something for my place, using a 21 takes too damn long.

jwalker17
03-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey everyone that tows/plows with their trucks.

I need to get a new truck. im debating between an off lease (2005-2007) Ford F-350 Quadcab for $20,000.00-$25,000.00 or an off lease (2005-2007) Dodge 2500 Megacab.

Would be used for plowing but not a former plow truck (would never buy a used plow truck). Any suggestions or experience with dodge based on Toronto's rediculous weather? I'm only experienced with Ford and the mega cab looks kind of cool

Lynden-Jeff
03-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Go ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heather lawn sp
03-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Bad!!! lol Ford>dodge>Chevy for the truck, Dodge>Ford>Chevy for the engine!!

Why does this sound like our place,
the service manager is. . .
F irst
O n
R ace
D ay

and I'm. . .

F ix
O r
R epair
D aily

:laugh:

We picked up a hotel and 2 more schools this winter for mowing. So 5 mowers on 3 trucks will be ready to roll this spring ( check out the vehicle pics over on plowsite)

Lynden-Jeff
03-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Why does this sound like our place,
the service manager is. . .
F irst
O n
R ace
D ay

and I'm. . .

F ix
O r
R epair
D aily

:laugh:

We picked up a hotel and 2 more schools this winter for mowing. So 5 mowers on 3 trucks will be ready to roll this spring ( check out the vehicle pics over on plowsite)

Link!!!!!!!!!!!

heather lawn sp
03-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Link!!!!!!!!!!!

www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=80000

Lynden-Jeff
03-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Nice stuff.

While we are on the topic of summer stuff, does anyone have a customer renewal letter they would be willing to share? I need to come up with something soon as I don't want to be calling everyone this year.

Cheers

heather lawn sp
03-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Nice stuff.

While we are on the topic of summer stuff, does anyone have a customer renewal letter they would be willing to share? I need to come up with something soon as I don't want to be calling everyone this year.

Cheers

I know it's a drag but I would call them all anyways and feel them out. Are they totally impressed with the service (raise the price!) not impressed at all, (change the spec's and/or the price to adjust accordingly), same old, same old (cost of living increase and be done with it). Generally they will appreciate the personal contact (or they can go with Clintar and do it the corporate way!). YOUR ADVANTAGE :weightlifter: OVER ANY BODY ELSE AT YOUR SCALE OF OPERATION IS THE PERSONAL TOUCH,:clapping: KEEP IT THAT WAY!!

Erik Kuijvenhoven
03-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Hey everyone that tows/plows with their trucks.

I need to get a new truck. im debating between an off lease (2005-2007) Ford F-350 Quadcab for $20,000.00-$25,000.00 or an off lease (2005-2007) Dodge 2500 Megacab.

Would be used for plowing but not a former plow truck (would never buy a used plow truck). Any suggestions or experience with dodge based on Toronto's rediculous weather? I'm only experienced with Ford and the mega cab looks kind of cool

DODGE or nothing man, No im kidding I got a 2nd gen it's been great but I think the new ford's are built one heck of allot better New dodge front ends are really weak compared to the fords dodge has allways had lots of front end issues but it seemed to be more maintenace neglect than just plain Crap well the 2008 2009 are plain crap in my opinion if I ever get rid of my dodge ill deff go Ford

ff1221
03-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Well the sun has been shining, it's warm out, are the calls coming in, how is everyone's summer shaping up? Looks like a good year for us so far, hopefully the same applies for everyone.

jwalker17
03-07-2009, 08:20 PM
GUYS ASAP HELP! I have my FIRST COMMERCIAL BID COMING UP!!!! I NEED SO BIG TIME HELP HERE!!!! Can ANYONE help me

Grass area (Mow, Blow): 50' x 150'
Flower Bed: 50' edge
Parking spots (blowing, garbage detail): 15 spots and about 150' of roadway

Located in industrial Markham, Ontario

PLEASE!! Can someone help me!!

jwalker17
03-07-2009, 10:31 PM
EDIT:
I have an idea on rates/hr its the structuring of the estimate: what to include what NOT to include?

Someone said to out the actual name of my insurer some said not too. I REALLY could use some ideas! Thanks!

Lynden-Jeff
03-07-2009, 11:12 PM
EDIT:
I have an idea on rates/hr its the structuring of the estimate: what to include what NOT to include?

Someone said to out the actual name of my insurer some said not too. I REALLY could use some ideas! Thanks!

No need to give the name of your insurer unless asked I'm pretty sure. Also if you weren't given a bid form Ive been advised to just give them 1 number, not breaking it down. Its worked for me.

Lynden-Jeff
03-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Well the sun has been shining, it's warm out, are the calls coming in, how is everyone's summer shaping up? Looks like a good year for us so far, hopefully the same applies for everyone.

Few calls coming in, I think its a little early yet, it could still snow! lol

ff1221
03-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Ya, like tonight, guess i'll put the blower back on the tractor today, just in case. School board tenders are out for our area, I think i'll see if I can pick a few of those up, with this economy it would be nice to have a few more long term contracts in my pocket.

descartes
03-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Hey everyone. I posted this in the starting up a business section but was getting no replies I apologize if this is not the place to ask this questions but I was hoping some of you would be able to help me out. If you want feel free to send me a message. Thanks a lot.
First off I would like to thank you for your time and any help or advice you can give me is appreciated. I am wanting to start up a small lawn care business here in Toronto, just taking care of residential homes. Cutting, trimming, weeding and possibly some small gardening. My main focus would just be cutting and trimming and going from there.

I have searched the forum but the posts I found were from 2001 and I am not sure if the laws have changed so I apologize if this topic has bring brought up.

My questions: Is there any licensing required that I will have to get? I have been reading that you need a license for spraying but I do not plan on spraying. (and I do believe pesticides are now illegal here in ontario, correct me if I am wrong or misinformed)

I have been looking on kijiji and craigslist for some used equipment and haven't had much luck. If anyone in the area is looking to sell some of their used but in good working order equipment I would be interested. If you do not have any would you be able to suggest any local dealerships that you have had a favorable experience with? I am hoping to get a 21" mower and possibly a 32" or 36", along with a blower, trimmer. If anyone with more experience has any input I am more than happy to hear it. Several years ago when I was 13 I cut lawns on my street and at a trailer park by my cottage and I was successful. My goal is to create a small lawn care business that will help me pay for my university and once I am through pass it on to my younger brother to help him with his tuition as well.

Anyone doing business in this area what kind of advertisement have you found works best? I am planning on making up flyers and picking a neighborhood and going door to door this week. I am hoping to build up a client list and see if there is interest in people hiring my services. I am not sure if this is wishful thinking but I have been hoping to get about 50 lawns? Is that feasible?

Thanks again for your time. I am sorry for the length of the post, if you were able to last to the end any help would be appreciated.

All the best.

Lynden-Jeff
03-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Where abouts in Ontario are you located? Im pretty sure you are correct and the only pesticide applicators need licenses.

descartes
03-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Hey thanks for the reply. I am living in Toronto or North York. By the 401 and 404. I think its considered North York. Do you know of any dealers that are close by that you have had a good experience with and you would recommend? Or know anyone selling some used equipment? I am hoping to start up around here or just North of the City.

jwalker17
03-11-2009, 11:42 AM
yeah go to alpine on kennedy (north of finch). I work in your area from time to time and I get my snow blower serviced there.

snowman 2008
03-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Descartes
I would recomend Markham Mower, Markham rd. north of #7. Andy (the owner) is the type of guy that just loves to talk mowers.
I was in there many times talking, asking qestions before I bought.

Paul:canadaflag:

jwalker17
03-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Descartes
I would recomend Markham Mower, Markham rd. north of #7. Andy (the owner) is the type of guy that just loves to talk mowers.

I agree: I completely forgot about him. There is also someone on Passmore beside United Salt (east of kennedy)

PlatinumLandCon
03-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Descartes

Pristine PM Ltd uses them and I think he's happy with them. I'll be talking to them about a TS420 saw in a few weeks.

snowman 2008
03-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Guy,s any one know of a organic fertilizer guy in the Kawartha Lakes area. I have a client that was with weed man, with the new ban she said there ready for change.
5 acres of turf w/210ft lake frontage.
thanks

Paul

jwalker17
03-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Sorry I dont,
but on the fertilizer topic. I have a commercial client that does NOT care enough about the lawn but wants realitively green grass. no money for irrigation just weekly wetdown from a tank.

Any idea on a low maintenance lawn fertilizer? would regular scotts overseed be okay with low water?

snowman 2008
03-11-2009, 04:26 PM
It,s funny we are talking grass and in the last 20 minuets my lawn turned white. The wind is blowing crazy.
Spring were are you.

Paul

DeVries
03-11-2009, 04:46 PM
What are you guy's doing with the new pesticide ban. How are you going too, or do you control weeds in patios etc.

How are you selling this new service to your customers. This ban is kinda new to me. Any input would be great.

cantoo
03-11-2009, 09:05 PM
We're getting customers calling us asking to be put on the list. Ain"t gonna be a list from what I see. Some are asking if we will just spray 2,4D anyway. Sure for $10,000 a lawn I will. I have 6 or 7 sprayers that aren't going to be worth crap. My insurance guy was here this morning and I asked about a refund on my pesticide insurance if the law goes thru as is. He says still need it for round up apps, yeah that'll be a real money maker for me. Won't even cover my insurance premium.
So who's gonna be the first company to sell round up ready grass?

Lynden-Jeff
03-12-2009, 08:18 PM
We're getting customers calling us asking to be put on the list. Ain"t gonna be a list from what I see. Some are asking if we will just spray 2,4D anyway. Sure for $10,000 a lawn I will. I have 6 or 7 sprayers that aren't going to be worth crap. My insurance guy was here this morning and I asked about a refund on my pesticide insurance if the law goes thru as is. He says still need it for round up apps, yeah that'll be a real money maker for me. Won't even cover my insurance premium.
So who's gonna be the first company to sell round up ready grass?

Im pretty sure roundup is banned to. 280 products isnt it?

Jaynen
03-13-2009, 05:03 PM
I want to know more about the pesticide ban. I have read on the MOE site that class 4 with a class 11 pesticide is okay? What is a biopesticide and who manufactures it? Is it this method with the fungicide? I keep getting calls for weed spraying and chinch bug but I keep telling people no I cant spray for it and they come back at me saying well these other companies will. Anyone one understand why the ban starts april 22? I know its earth day and all, but thats like a whole month of people prolly spraying like crazy.

cenlo
03-14-2009, 08:26 PM
I want to know more about the pesticide ban. I have read on the MOE site that class 4 with a class 11 pesticide is okay? What is a biopesticide and who manufactures it? Is it this method with the fungicide? I keep getting calls for weed spraying and chinch bug but I keep telling people no I cant spray for it and they come back at me saying well these other companies will. Anyone one understand why the ban starts april 22? I know its earth day and all, but thats like a whole month of people prolly spraying like crazy.

What about a class 4 Herbicide (24d Amine 500) it says "any amine salt) as it contains a class 11 active ingredient (alkanolamine salts) ie. soap.............or is that a stretch!

HayBay
03-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Mcguinty is playing with us.

ff1221
03-15-2009, 08:06 AM
Pulled the ATVs out of winter storage, heading out for a ride this morning with the wife and kids, finally warm enough to enjoy them. What's everybody else doing with this beautiful weekend? Is it dry enough in your area to start cleanups and construction?

WeCare-LawnCare
03-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Ground is to saturated to start clean ups, but soon. It's only march, so sure there is some snow left. Out on my horse this weekend :)

Triple L
03-15-2009, 08:44 AM
I dont know about the snow anymore... eveyone say's we'll get 1 more dumping... but i've already taken the plows off all the truck and have been thinking about takin the salters off.... maby in 2 more weeks get the ol mowers going.......

ff1221
03-15-2009, 08:23 PM
i'm bettin on a two day blast first part of April, then rollin up the temps.

Jaynen
03-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Lawns are great for shaping right now. Gonna roll out a few bumps this week.

jwalker17
03-15-2009, 09:18 PM
yeah im still anticipating at least one freak storm

ff1221
03-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Anybody have a formula for pricing residential lawns, we mostly do commercial accounts but are moving more into residential, and I want to make sure my prices are realistic.We do a few Residential, but i'm not sure I charge enough. I know prices between here and other places will be different, but it would give me a rough idea, any help is appreciated.

jwalker17
03-18-2009, 09:29 AM
depends on where you are. in toronto (North York) I get on the low end $100.00/month and on the high end $200.00/month.

Keep in mind. most of the lawns in my area are only about30'-40' x 100'-120'

ff1221
03-18-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm going to say the average lawn will be 55x155. The residentials we are doing now are around $30 to $35 per cut including trimming.

jwalker17
03-18-2009, 09:09 PM
yeah so our prices and sizes are relative similar lol.

ff1221
03-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Good to know i'm in the ballpark. Thanks for the advice.

jwalker17
03-19-2009, 10:29 AM
hey, I just spoke to a friend in brampton who is paying $60.00/month for an annual contract which includes plowing and salt.

I said theres gotta be something wrong.

He had insurance, ztr, truck and plow, etc, and my friend DID NOT HAVE TO PAY UPFRONT!!!

what is happening. how is it possible to operate for that (my friends property is about 1/2 acre which is big in toronto and surrounding areas i guess since most I do max out at about 4000sqf of lawn.

ff1221
03-19-2009, 10:38 AM
That's unreal, I figured 35 per cut for 26 weeks and a $420 seasonal contract for snow, and that works out to $110/mth. Pretty hard to make payments on good equipment at $60, good luck to them.

Triple L
03-19-2009, 11:17 AM
WOW, talk about it... we usually do a 30 week summer maintenance progam...

and 30 or so plows in the winter.... that rediculus...

When will people figure it out.... your actually loosing money if your cutting for $20 a cut :hammerhead:

heather lawn sp
03-21-2009, 07:09 PM
did the first clean-up this season!!

Lynden-Jeff
03-21-2009, 07:20 PM
No cleanups for 2 weeks here. I don't do any residential for less then $149 a month unless its tiny or convenient for me then I may make an exception.

ff1221
03-21-2009, 07:47 PM
might start some this week or next, stilla bit of snow lying around, not to mention rain on the way.

heather lawn sp
03-21-2009, 08:23 PM
No cleanups for 2 weeks here. I don't do any residential for less then $149 a month unless its tiny or convenient for me then I may make an exception.

This one:
quarter acre
5 minute drive on the clean-up lawn mower no truck needed
cash on completion
and a bundt cake to boot!!

83 year old widow, the kind that don't take no **** form nooobody!!

Triple L
03-22-2009, 05:08 PM
did the first clean-up this season!!

I hope it snows now just because of you :drinkup:

jwalker17
03-22-2009, 11:23 PM

lol thats why the salter is still on the trucks and so are the plows... its still march. we usually get a freeak storm EVERY year haha.

we;re just doing garbage detail now.

ff1221
03-23-2009, 06:49 AM
It's a good month before we are in the clear, although come April 1, I'll likely have the plows off the trucks ( only have one left on anyway), that's when all my contracts end, and unless we get 6 inches they can shovel.:laugh:

heather lawn sp
03-23-2009, 07:15 AM

you're just jealous:cry:

dingybigfoot
03-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm in markham. Ive been making residential bids all week.
From lows of $125/month to a high of $160/month. My residentials range in
size from 1200 sq ft to 3000sq ft of lawn. Every single one of my bids turned around
and told me im too high. One even turned around and showed me a flyer advertising
$80 per month. I'm starting to get a little antsy. No one wants to sign.
I know the cost of running my business. Anything less and I'll never be able to keep
her afloat. What the FRIck????

jwalker17
03-24-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm in markham. Ive been making residential bids all week.
From lows of $125/month to a high of $160/month. My residentials range in
size from 1200 sq ft to 3000sq ft of lawn. Every single one of my bids turned around
and told me im too high. One even turned around and showed me a flyer advertising
$80 per month. I'm starting to get a little antsy. No one wants to sign.
I know the cost of running my business. Anything less and I'll never be able to keep
her afloat. What the FRIck????

that does seem high for markham especially the cookiecutter houses.. just my own opinion

dingybigfoot
03-24-2009, 10:42 PM
that does seem high for markham especially the cookiecutter houses.. just my own opinion

yeah eh??? hmmm...

jwalker17
03-24-2009, 10:45 PM
yeah...

1000 sqf is like 20x50... thats like 3 passes with a walkbehind 21' mower lol... 1200 sqf for $120.00/month seems high to me?

dingybigfoot
03-24-2009, 10:45 PM
perhaps I aim for $125/month and cluster them.

jwalker17
03-24-2009, 10:49 PM
thats what im goign to be doing... clustering

dingybigfoot
03-24-2009, 10:50 PM
cant go wrong with clustering.
its cut throat up here in markham.

jwalker17
03-24-2009, 10:52 PM
yeah i do a few factories in scarb/markham

dingybigfoot
03-24-2009, 10:56 PM
yeah i do a few factories in scarb/markham

I'm strictly residential right now. Commercial eventually.
Baby steps first I guess. Its my sophomore season.

Pristine PM
03-29-2009, 03:20 PM
You will never make more then decent residential all close together. Commercial has to much competition that seems to also go to the cheapest.

heather lawn sp
03-29-2009, 05:49 PM
You will never make more then decent residential all close together. Commercial has to much competition that seems to also go to the cheapest.

True Jon

but the commercial is regular money each month!!

dingybigfoot
03-29-2009, 06:04 PM
cheap seems to be winning the race up here.
one of my estimates showed me a quote of $75 per month for 2,618 sq ft of lawn.

jwalker17
03-29-2009, 06:12 PM
cheap seems to be winning the race up here.
one of my estimates showed me a quote of $75 per month for 2,618 sq ft of lawn.

yeah im in the same boat from residentials... 1/8th acres for $80.00/month including weedwacking, edging beds,---> CULTIVATING AND WEEDING FRONT BEDS <---, blowing and BAGGING each visit.

dingybigfoot
03-29-2009, 06:15 PM
dude!!
its insane eh?? time to weather the storm and adapt and evolve.

jwalker17
03-29-2009, 06:17 PM
or wait until tehir in the backyard and steal the blades frmo each mower and steal all of their lines for the trimmers :D

dingybigfoot
03-29-2009, 06:20 PM
or wait until tehir in the backyard and steal the blades frmo each mower and steal all of their lines for the trimmers :D

lmao...lol...i like that!
next year when we gotta pass on this HST to our clientele its going
to be interesting to say the least.

jwalker17
03-29-2009, 06:24 PM
everyones already expecting it thanks to the news which is good. Atleast they are not oging to blame us too much for make-believe taxes lol

jwalker17
03-29-2009, 06:25 PM
ARE WE GOING TO HAVE TO RE-REGISTER TAXES? If we're all registered for GST for tax purposes... what the hell do we do know... is trhere a HST registration??

dingybigfoot
03-29-2009, 06:26 PM
ARE WE GOING TO HAVE TO RE-REGISTER TAXES? If we're all registered for GST for tax purposes... what the hell do we do know... is trhere a HST registration??

I'm assuming we'll have to.

Triple L
03-29-2009, 07:42 PM
yeah im in the same boat from residentials... 1/8th acres for $80.00/month including weedwacking, edging beds,---> CULTIVATING AND WEEDING FRONT BEDS <---, blowing and BAGGING each visit.

WOW! How are you supposed to addapt to that......... Id rather sit and home and watch tv... then work my a$$ off and have $0 at the end of the year once he learns how much it costs to operate a business :clapping:

jwalker17
03-29-2009, 07:45 PM
WOW! How are you supposed to addapt to that......... Id rather sit and home and watch tv... then work my a$$ off and have $0 at the end of the year once he learns how much it costs to operate a business :clapping:

I think he knows... he has been in business since 2004

Triple L
03-29-2009, 09:27 PM
well i wish him luck LOL

jwalker17
03-29-2009, 09:39 PM
haha i dont lol jerk...

hows everyones turnout this year so far.. when do you guys "usually" see the full roster

ff1221
03-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Still figuring out some pricing, how much for 20000 sq/ft?:)

jwalker17
03-30-2009, 05:44 PM
i have never heard of Kincardine which means I would have no clue about prices lol.

cantoo
03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
jwalker17. look behind your computer and you"ll see a wire hooked to it. Follow it to the wall, there you'll see an outlet on the wall. Follow it to your basement, there you'll find an electrical panel. Look above it you'll see a gray pipe about 2" diameter, follow it outside, look up and you'll see some tall branchless trees with wires hanging from them. Follow them as far as you can. When you get to the end you will be right next to Kincardine. Bruce Power to be exact.
Lake Huron about 140 miles from Toronto.
As for the pricing because of the variety of our properties we usually just eyeball and compare to our other properties. Some that are tough we will offer to cut once so we can get an idea of time. That and we usually like to meet the people before we price the property, I'm too old to work for aholes, price high and walk if need be.

dingybigfoot
03-31-2009, 02:52 PM
I lost out on two residential accounts today. Side by side.
One was 1,300 sqft the other was 2,800 sqft. The other LCO got it at $15.00
per cut at 4 cuts a month. Is this for real?????

Trevors Lawn Care
03-31-2009, 04:42 PM
I lost out on two residential accounts today. Side by side.
One was 1,300 sqft the other was 2,800 sqft. The other LCO got it at $15.00
per cut at 4 cuts a month. Is this for real?????

Guys,

I have truck terminals located in Brampton = $6,000 contract last season, Hamilton - $2,300 contract last season, Windsor-$2,200 contract last season, & Brockville.

If anyone is interested in bidding on these truck terminals, please email me at Tbrunckhorst@crownenterprisesinc.com so I can get you the correct paperwork.

Trevor
586-939-7000 x2217

ff1221
03-31-2009, 08:34 PM
Hey Cantoo, you made it through the winter. I hate pricing these damn lawns, the small ones are easy, $35 minimum, but this is a big lakefront witha fussy owner, and a dog run, i'm figuring $60 per cut, my wife will be at least an hour there.

Hey, is your wife going to cut he MTO islands for us again this year? I've been meaning to call her, but my memory ain't so good no more.(never was)

jwalker17, take Cantoo's advice and follow the wire sometime, we'll sit down and have a beer together, it's great up here.:drinkup:

cantoo
03-31-2009, 10:04 PM
Yup, we made it thru the winter. Couple weeks in Florida on the bikes helped abit. Spent the day in Michigan today on a fire investigation, I hate lawyers. I'm working on a house on #9 across from the old Doupe's place then I'm working near Kingston for the next 3 weeks or so, that should be a pain. Got the Steiner and power sweeper all set up and hopefully ready to roll. Still have a few more pieces I want to buy before season really starts.
Yup she'll do the MTO ones for ya. Gotta keep her busy anyway. She does a couple of lakefront lots just south of Heritage Heights and I think she's around $45 and it takes a little less than 30 minutes, another has a little trimming so it's $55. 2 are a couple houses apart. We also do an empty lot every 3 to 4 weeks and it's $70, no trimming and looks like heck when we are done. Started out as Township ordered cut he only wants the minimum.
Fussy owner means more hassle so price it abit higher. Find out home owners schedule and always try to cut when they are not home. Might be some room for upsells there too. PS don't work for a lady named Julia on Victoria in Point Clark, I lost most of my hair on that property. Good pay but drove us nuts.

WeCare-LawnCare
04-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Wow, long day, but got a few clean-ups done. Wait out the rain tommorow, by the sounds of things.

jwalker17
04-04-2009, 01:57 PM
hey i know this is off topic.. i was reading the "weirdest things found" and thought I would mention some things found around toronto while doing clean ups...

1. In Rexdale Outside Mall - over 60 used needles in one bush area
2. A homeless "campsite" with about 10 tents set up in someones back yard that back onto a ravine around Bayview/yorkmills and the owners didnt even know
3. 3 FULL 24's of Coors Light (I assume kids stashing for the weekend)
4. Just under a 1/4 pound of weed beside a highschool fence!

What about you guys?

ff1221
04-04-2009, 04:56 PM
hey i know this is off topic.. i was reading the "weirdest things found" and thought I would mention some things found around toronto while doing clean ups...

2. A homeless "campsite" with about 10 tents set up in someones back yard that back onto a ravine around Bayview/yorkmills and the owners didnt even know

What about you guys?

How was the beer and weed?:laugh::drinkup:

jwalker17
04-04-2009, 05:06 PM
dont smoke weed... but the beer... nothing is better than free beer lol

ff1221
04-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Same here, and yes nothing tastes better than free beer.

jg244888
04-06-2009, 11:27 PM

What about you guys?
where is this list?

Bustus
04-07-2009, 12:11 AM
And here is the last snowfall...

DeVries
04-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Lets hope but don't hold your breath.

ff1221
04-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Did everybody leave cause it snowed on Monday?

DeVries
04-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Well it's been kinda crazy here the last week. Selling one of my trucks to make way for a new one. Meeting with customers and getting quotes ready, the crews start this coming monday with construction and clean ups so I haven't been surfing to much.

heather lawn sp
04-11-2009, 08:30 AM
IS EVERYBODY READY TO ROCK 'N' ROLL!!:dancing:

Time to get off the computers and onto the lawns!!

ff1221
04-15-2009, 06:57 AM
Everybody back at it after our brief, but snowy intermission? Finally finished the job we started last year, longest I've ever been on one site, yard cleanups start today.

jwalker17
04-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I QUIT!

I just got told I was out bid by someone who was 1/3rd my rate and that he wasnt the cheapest either...

1/4 acre grass area, 2 beds that are each 30'x5' that need to be weeded/cultivated each visit and watering once/week for a 32 week contract.... I was beat by someone whos package was $950.00/ for 35 weeks.

THAT DOESNT EVEN COVER MY MONTHY INSURANCE/GAS FOR A MONTH!!!!

Triple L
04-16-2009, 08:50 PM
WOW! I've put out quite a few quotes this year already... Extremely reasonable... I really really wanted the work so i went in cheap.... Havent heard back from a single one of them yet.... So i know someone went cheaper and out bid me.... If this keeps up i will be quiting and just doing snow full time.... Its getting a bit rediculus... Jwalker - $27 / week... Who comes up with a stupid number like that :confused:

DeVries
04-17-2009, 07:30 AM
$27.00 per week.....................................................I've run into that as well, actually this guy was 25 per week. He's got three guys in the truck, they run like madmen all day and trim shrubs with a line trimmer as they walk by trimming the edges after they are done cutting. People like this are an absolute disgrace to the profesion. Sometimes I wish it was manditory to have a hort license or something to weed these guy's out.

Hope everyones season is looking good, so far ours is good, construction work won't be a busy as the last three seasons but what are you gona do.

jwalker17
04-17-2009, 08:35 PM
WOW! I've put out quite a few quotes this year already... Extremely reasonable... I really really wanted the work so i went in cheap.... Havent heard back from a single one of them yet.... So i know someone went cheaper and out bid me.... If this keeps up i will be quiting and just doing snow full time.... Its getting a bit rediculus... Jwalker - $27 / week... Who comes up with a stupid number like that :confused:

It was a "Package Deal" so i guess they could afford. They also have more equipment than me. They have like 700 21'' mowers for four people squished into a regular cab truck.

I give my nutts more space in my pants than they do in their truck... jerks.

Jaynen
04-17-2009, 08:56 PM
I keep getting out bid too, but I dont care. I'm not budging.

cantoo
04-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Wife has been out sweeping gravel the last few days, only have a few left to do. Phone is ringing for small jobs, even had one call today a guy asking if we would sell him Par III. We did his big lawn a few times and he complained about the price each time.I suggested he buy his own sprayer so he did and now he can't buy the chems he wants. Fertilizer price is killing us so don't think we're gonna be doing much of that this year, I'm not working for free. Haven't heard from too many grass customers yet but getting equipment ready anyway. We buy and sell stuff and that has been busy, everyone is looking for little side businesses that they can make cash from. Bought a pavement sealing machine and sold it a few days later for double. Think we'll concentrate on stuff like that until things settle down. Everyone wants to trade for stuff, seems to be little cash out there.

heather lawn sp
04-18-2009, 01:59 AM

Maybe that was me, Chad. Since last November 2 hotels, an airplane parts factory down the street (Heather can drive the lawn mower there, and has) and a condo townhouse project. Now can I make money at them?

dingybigfoot
04-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm getting beat by the same style outfits as well.
4 guys in a single cab. $18.75 a week. WTF???

heather lawn sp
04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
I remember doin' that 4 to a cab 2 druggies an x-con and me in 1977, dang I'm old:dizzy:

Triple L
04-20-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm getting beat by the same style outfits as well.
4 guys in a single cab. $18.75 a week. WTF???

$18.75... WOW, I'll stay at home and watch t.v. before i work for that kinda money............. Thats ******ed!

Thats not even $5 per guy.... NUTZ!

DeVries
04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Looks like plow site has shut down for the summer. Might as well jump on board here I guess.:drinkup:

I'm looking for a 36" stander, if anybody's got one or know of a good dealer I am interested. Has anybody bought across the border and is it cheaper?

Looks like a wet couple of days.

DeVries
04-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Hey I'm interested in a toro grandstand or a wright stand on. Does anyone know of a good dealer in my area?

How about in Buffalo is there any good deals across the border?

jg244888
04-24-2009, 12:36 PM
hey could you guys please tell me some good suppliers in the gta for gravel pavers plants etc.....

Pristine PM
04-25-2009, 07:04 PM
I just picked up two grandstands. They seem pretty nice. An improvement over my 36 sentar sport. I know someone that may have a fairly decent 36 Sentar Sport for sale. Mine is in rough shape, but my neighbour never uses his. Let me know if you are interested in the SS. I don't know what he would want for it.

Pristine PM
04-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Betz cut on Kennedy and Arnt's in Pickering are the only two I deal with. I know there is a big one off the 404, but I never go out that way. Beaver Valley I think it is called.

PlatinumLandCon
04-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Beaver Valley at 407/Yonge are a bunch of d1ckheads IMO

Triple L
04-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Anyone need thier parking lots swept.... Just hollar.... Gotta have a little bit more fun with my newest toy :drinkup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCuhJ2OBIrU

Pristine PM
04-26-2009, 10:55 PM
A and G it is. I just called them for one of my units, 4 hour min, 85 an hour. They wanted a wet sweep.

cantoo
04-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Triple L, make sure you keep it out of the sun, ours is toast after only 3 years. The strands have turned chalky white and break off easily.
Also consider making a rubber flip over flap for the front to use to move heavier debris then sweep clean with the bristles.
I have my broom mounted to the front of my Steiner and also have a rotary brush for it.

dingybigfoot
04-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Anyone have experience with gas stations?
All my clients are resi's but I have an opportunity to bid on an Esso.

PlatinumLandCon
04-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Chad, how does that thing work for you? Looks like a cool unit but I wonder how effective it is.

Triple L
05-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Chad, how does that thing work for you? Looks like a cool unit but I wonder how effective it is.

Its awsome, you can see in the vid how good of a job it does... It really amazes me... I never thought it would clean-up so good! Whats up with P.S.... It's been down for a while now.....

2days the first day of mowing :dancing: :cool2:

Jeff are you still around buddy???? Who's in for a lawnsite Get To Gether?

DeVries
05-01-2009, 08:46 AM
plow site is having problems. A gtg sounds good. Were and when I guess would be the questions.

P.S congrats on joining the new forum.

Triple L
05-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Thanks buddy, Yup so I'm on all 3 snow sites now :drinkup:

I wouldnt mind having one in the next 2 or 3 weeks.... Im thinking somewhere in mississauga would be a good place to meet, but im open to suggestions fursure.... Somewhere thats within reasonable driving distance for us all....

Who's all in?

Pristine PM
05-02-2009, 09:16 PM
You are lucky to get much more then a resi would pay from gas stations. I looked into Sunoco's a while back. I know the plowing goes for around $400 a month at a pioneer near me.

ff1221
05-06-2009, 06:50 AM
It would appear that plowsite has suffered a catastrophic failure, kinda miss Daner.

DeVries
05-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Ya not sure what the heck is going on there. It's been up and down for a few day's now.

Pristine PM
05-10-2009, 08:58 AM
wow, we are way more active on Plowsite during the winter. Summer is so much busier for everyone I guess.

ff1221
05-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Ya, Sunday morning seems like the only time I get to sit down and read through the forums during the summer.
How's everyone's season looking?

Bajak
05-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Well Hello There! it's my first post.
How much per square foot of sod? JUST KIDDING:laugh:.

Good to hear everyone is keeping busy.

WeCare-LawnCare
05-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Well Hello There! it's my first post.
How much per square foot of sod? JUST KIDDING:laugh:.

Good to hear everyone is keeping busy.

hello and welcome!!

Triple L
05-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Hello hello hello, you made the swich over from ps.... Im surprised how slow the forums have been lately... Guess everyone is keepin busy so its all good! :drinkup:

Lynden-Jeff
05-18-2009, 10:16 PM
lol just switched over. Ive been so freakin busy. Bought a new dump trailer yesterday! Picks coming soon.

Triple L
05-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Jeffy, give me a call brother... U heard anything with the Mega's?

ff1221
05-19-2009, 07:00 AM
lol just switched over. Ive been so freakin busy. Bought a new dump trailer yesterday! Picks coming soon.

Yes get us pics, I've been wanting a new one for years, just seems there is always another piece of equipment that comes first, that and they've gone way up in price since I bought the last one.

Bajak, good to see you made it over to the green side.:drinkup:

Lynden-Jeff
05-27-2009, 07:34 PM
So the trailer. Here are the specs

Made by Competition Trailer MFG

- 6'3" wide X 12' Long
- 6 Ton Capacity
- LED Lights
- 8 stud 10 ply radial tires
- Monarch pump
- Tarp roller included
- 2 way ramps for equipment loading or dumping
- Adjustable coupler
- Brakes on all axles

Paid $6495 plus tax

This trailer was an absolutle steal. A small company that manufactures in hamilton and sells out of toronto, family run business and very well built trailers. I am very impressed. I even had a small issue with one brake not working and it was fixed the very next day. The prices are great and the quality is very good, only thing that lacked was the paint, some runs but I dont care at all, a miska of the same spec would be almost $8000. I can pass on his info to anyone who interested in a trailer.

I have had the front and fenders linex'ed for $575. This thing is a tank.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/4293_183163235102_823955102_7120054_7927364_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/4293_183141465102_823955102_7119547_1310073_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/4293_183141470102_823955102_7119548_6488471_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/4293_183141450102_823955102_7119544_504511_n.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/4293_183141455102_823955102_7119545_6278914_n.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/4293_183141460102_823955102_7119546_1137074_n.jpg
Cheers
Jeff

Triple L
05-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Looks good Jeff, Sounds like a vary good deal...
I got a quote for a 16' gooseneck dumper for myself... Came to 16K.... Ouuuch.... Maby next year....
Any word on the Mega's yet?

Pristine PM
05-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Competition is right near my house. They seem nice, but I am still deciding on what type of dump trailer to get, or to just stick with what I have, which needs some beefing up.

Triple L
05-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Really Check out Canada Trailer, located in Alymer, ON

Thier trailers are amazing... I've never owner a trailer thats towed straighter or smoother... With a canada trailer, you never look back!

Lynden-Jeff
05-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Competition is right near my house. They seem nice, but I am still deciding on what type of dump trailer to get, or to just stick with what I have, which needs some beefing up.

I am very impressed with them. Its a family business and the guys wife is a bit hard to understand (mexican accent) but if you talked to the dad and son they are very nice.

Very heavy duty trailers and great style with the build in rams. I despise, not only despise but HATE JDJ style low bed dump trailers with the crap ass ramps that you hang on the side. I want a high side and backed trailer so I can load up equipment without fighting with ramps or stuff brush 6 ft high and then strap it down without worrying about stuff flying past the 1 ft high gate.

Cheers
Jeff

PlatinumLandCon
05-29-2009, 11:32 AM
I am very impressed with them. Its a family business and the guys wife is a bit hard to understand (mexican accent) but if you talked to the dad and son they are very nice.

Very heavy duty trailers and great style with the build in rams. I despise, not only despise but HATE JDJ style low bed dump trailers with the crap ass ramps that you hang on the side. I want a high side and backed trailer so I can load up equipment without fighting with ramps or stuff brush 6 ft high and then strap it down without worrying about stuff flying past the 1 ft high gate.

Cheers
Jeff

I looked at JDJ and they're 8-9 grand when they're setup like your unit. Also, like you said, the side mounted ramps look like a pain in the azz. You have a nice unit there, good luck with it!

organiclawncanada
06-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Try Jensen Trailers in Oshawa and ask for Scott. He is a buddy of mine, and if you want a trailer in Durham Region you go to Jensen. Great Quality and great prices. You get what you pay for.

Pristine PM
06-04-2009, 10:26 PM
To be honest, I find Jensen expensive, and I gave them a list of equipment a few years ago and they never sent prices. This was when they first started dealing with Bobcat by Jacobson and Redmax I believe. That left a bad taste in my mouth. They import from the states right?

organiclawncanada
06-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Jensens does bring trailers in from the states, as do most dealers but they also sell Canadian made trailers. I have known Scott for almost 20 years and we worked together selling RV's at one time, and he has over 7 years experience selling RV's and trailers. Everyone I know that has needed a trailer bought from Jensens and has been more than happy with the purchase. As far as pricing goes, in the trailer business you get what you pay for. If you want something cheap you get cheap quality. Just like buying equipment for work, you can buy cheap stuff and get by, but you will replace it sooner than later.

Triple L
06-05-2009, 11:02 PM
HELLO HELLO HELLO

So are you guys and girls sick of cutting grass or doing landscaping yet?

Well, Me and a few guys from LP are getting together on the 19th... 2 weeks from now at Cayuga for a run what you brung event... Everyone is welcome to come out and have a little bit of fun... Bring your work truck, car whatever, chevy, ford, dodge, gas or diesel, toyota, heck i'd like to see what a mazada can do..... I think the entry is only $20 or so.... Would make for a great evening of fun and also awsome networking!

Please let me know if your coming

p.s. Jeff - this ones got your name all over it :drinkup:

DeVries
06-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Maybe both Dave's from LTS would be interested also.

Lynden-Jeff
06-06-2009, 06:51 AM

Hey, are you coming out to the landscape ontario golf tourney this year??

Triple L
06-06-2009, 08:38 AM

JD is coming, he's the one who planned this actually... Im hoping GMC driver will come but havent heard from him... and Grassman dave appears to have &ussied out :laugh: I guess my near stock truck is too fast for his dodge LOL

Lynden-Jeff
06-07-2009, 09:40 PM
I would go but my truck is gettin a little on the old side, and no warrentee. Last thing I want to do is blow head gaskets with no backup truck LOL. On a good note just pulled the trigger on an 18 hp Giant-vac leaf loader to accompanie the new dump trailer. Next on the list, a new truck if the budget allows! lol

Cheers
Jeff

DeVries
06-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Hey Jeff

I spoke to Brad a couple of days ago, and I'm not sure if I will. We are haveing a busy summer, and the week after the L.O tourney we take out all of our customers for a round of golf, so I'm not sure yet.

Hey you mentioned that you got a leaf loader. I've had one for three seasons now and the crew loves it. I got mine attached to the back of a dump trailer and built a cover for the trailer. Man it fits a lot of leaves. You will love it, no more tarping leaves.

Lynden-Jeff
06-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Well I hope to see you out there, its only an afternoon! And ya, I never want to tarp leaves again. Can you post up some pics of how you mounted it? Also what HP/Model do you have, and do you find it efficient enough?

Cheers
Jeff

DeVries
06-10-2009, 07:51 PM
As far as pics go you will have to wait till the fall as we have it off of our dump trailer now.

We bought the billy goat with the 15hp briggs engine. It's got a 12 suction tube and inhales wet leaves, potted plants(mum's) sticks, dirt, you name it it sucks it up.

Lynden-Jeff
06-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Sweet, I upgraded to a 25 hp kohler as they did not have an 18 in stock so they upgraded me. Pretty nice of them. I hear the 25 is a tank, I can't wait to try it out. Now I just need to figure out how to mount it on the gate of my trailer.

Cheers
Jeff

Pristine PM
06-11-2009, 09:54 PM
was it a better deal out of season?

Lynden-Jeff
06-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Well I got a 25 hp for the 18 hp price, so I guess it was lol.

DeVries
06-25-2009, 06:30 AM
How was the golf tourney Jeff?

Was there a good turnout, weather was great for it:drinkup:

Lynden-Jeff
06-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Hey,

Was a great day! Very warm, good turn out. Ended up being full booked. Next year you will have to come out!

Cheers
Jeff

Eurosport
06-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Sweet, I upgraded to a 25 hp kohler as they did not have an 18 in stock so they upgraded me. Pretty nice of them. I hear the 25 is a tank, I can't wait to try it out. Now I just need to figure out how to mount it on the gate of my trailer.

Cheers
Jeff

Get a welder to make a frame on the tongue of your trailer and mount the machine there. Make a trap door in your box where the discharge chute enters and then you don't have to remove the machine when dumping. I did this on my miska dump and it works great.

Daner
06-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Hey Guys I missed that trip to the race track...I got a good deal On a 36" Walk behind If any of yaas are Interested
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=269540&page=2

Triple L
06-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Daner - The trip was awsome - Dave ended up running 13.1's with his Dmax ( shoulda folded the mirrors in... Maby he would got into the 12's LOL)
I ran 16.59 - Pretty smokin fast for a near stock Dmax... Blew my buddy with his 6 Liter ford away 3 times in a row hahahahah... Dave posted some vids on LP u can check them out... Even Cedar-Stefan's durango was running high 14's... It was a great time, Daves truck launching in 4wd and spinning is just nutz! U woulda enjoyed it! I wouldnt mind going back 1 more time this year :drinkup:

Daner
06-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Daner - The trip was awsome - Dave ended up running 13.1's with his Dmax ( shoulda folded the mirrors in... Maby he would got into the 12's LOL)
I ran 16.59 - Pretty smokin fast for a near stock Dmax... Blew my buddy with his 6 Liter ford away 3 times in a row hahahahah... Dave posted some vids on LP u can check them out... Even Cedar-Stefan's durango was running high 14's... It was a great time, Daves truck launching in 4wd and spinning is just nutz! U woulda enjoyed it! I wouldnt mind going back 1 more time this year :drinkup:

My Ride Is sitting now for 2 yrs with the cover on It
I would go through the traps at 10.0 taking my foot off It 1/2 way down the track...I think I should turn It Into a street Machine just for the fun of It
This Is my Baby with no stickers on It Runs 8.90 In good air

Chad come on over to the shop and chek out that TrimStar...You will love It

D

ff1221
07-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Pretty quiet around here, guys must be busy, how's everyone's summer going so far?

Daner
07-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Just coasting along here...taken er kool:waving:

taprlawncare
07-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Peterborough area here! just east of actually.

dingybigfoot
07-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Busy like a bee over here. And my feet are starting to hurt. I'm going to look into some comfy soles for my work boots.
Toronto area here.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeVries
07-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Is anyone out there still using roundup. I've heard that there is a one year grace period, is this true?:confused:

Pristine PM
07-16-2009, 07:18 PM
I haven't heard that. I heard that the stuff for sale at Canadian Tire is useless now, but I haven't tried it myself. It does say it still has the active ingredient... so I don't get how it is legal.

cantoo
07-16-2009, 08:06 PM
People around here are still using sprays. Lots of left over chemical I guess? We're still getting a couple calls each week asking for weed spraying. Some customers are getting pretty bitchy about it saying just to do it anyway. A local farm chem supply place says they are selling lots of 10 litre jugs of 24D this year. Seen a guy spraying what looked like Roundup on a stone water runway last week at a Home Hardware store. Mowers on a trailer but no name or markings on the truck. Maybe he was spraying liquid fert on the weeds?

DeVries
07-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Around here it seems like some are using roundup still. My crews are complaining that the weeds are growing faster than they can cut them off.

I don't mind a ban of pesticides on turf, but I think we should be allowed to spray patio's, walks, along curbs, etc.

Triple L
07-16-2009, 11:20 PM
im pretty sure my local garden centre has been allowed to sell round-up again... This vinigar is sure gettin expensive

ff1221
07-21-2009, 07:21 AM
If it wasn't for the weeds, my lawn guys would have run out of stuff to cut weeks ago, hasn't rained much more than a dribble here in at least two weeks. I think a lot of people around here are getting ag grade Roundup from farmer friends with licences.

HayBay
07-21-2009, 02:15 PM
They sell Roundup here. I feel pretty stupid applying TopGun or Ecoclear for a customers driveway/patio weeds (topkill only) every 2-3 weeks and the neighbor spraying 1 application of RoundUp (systemic) for a third of the price.

Everywhere I go I see a bottle of a banned product sitting out on peoples lawns or garages.

The MOE was by to make sure I'm not using banned products a couple of weeks back. They don't care about residentals its the licensed guys that have to follow the rules.

taprlawncare
07-21-2009, 05:04 PM
If it wasn't for the weeds, my lawn guys would have run out of stuff to cut weeks ago, hasn't rained much more than a dribble here in at least two weeks.

Same here. I'm thinking maybe installing irrigation systems is the way to go, something to consider I guess. Anyone else install sprinklers? is it hard to do and is it a good market to get into?

HayBay
07-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Thats what I am gonna take on installing at our place. Check out the Irrigation Section some of those guys live irrigation. Great info.

Triple L
07-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Same here. I'm thinking maybe installing irrigation systems is the way to go, something to consider I guess. Anyone else install sprinklers? is it hard to do and is it a good market to get into?

Become a CIT (certified irrigation technician) thru L.O. before you even think of starting to do irrigation... I've helped fix soo many screwed up systems it'll make your head spin :dizzy:

Only problem with irrigation is the investment... Lots of parts needed in your van, ditch witch, locating tools, ect..

Triple L
08-01-2009, 10:02 PM
2008 Walker Mower FOR SALE:

FULLY LOADED TO THE TITS
2008 MTL ( 25hp, liquid cooled) 42" deck, HIGH DUMP, air ride seat, headlights, and every other option available... Been babied since day 1, Synthetic oil, greased all the time, warmed up for 2 min and cooled down for 2 min on every jobsite... Put it this way, almost the same as buying new...

Only 260 hours

Asking $14,000.00 (this same machine will retail for $21,000 today)

Triple L
08-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Also, 96 F-250 for sale, only 97,000 ORIGIONAL KM's!

auto, 4x4, long box, day cab, with 8' frink poly plow

Only $4500...

Crazy steal! Pick it up now for this winter!

P.Services
08-01-2009, 10:10 PM
hey guys i have a odd question for you.

im looking to find some limestone to make steps and walls out of. some thing that is uniform in thicknessfrom one end to the other so it stacks easy and looks perfect. we were buying it from a middle man before (phone # turned off now) and i know he was getting it from Canada, where in canada i have no clue.

we were also getting big boulders of limestone that had been sitting in feilds all covered in moss and plants. they had holes and crevasses in them. some were 4 feet tall, other were as big as trucks.

any one know where to get them or no of any quarries i can call?

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

cantoo
08-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Sounds like something from up Wiarton way. Try a google search for Wiarton quarries and tons of places come up. Should be able to find a source from them.

HayBay
08-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Picasso,

Kingston is the Limestone City. We have a bunch of this stuff, even in my own back yard.

Here is a government list of quarries in Canada. Wiarton Buckskin Quarry Company Inc is mentioned in there as well.

http://mmsd.mms.nrcan.gc.ca/stat-stat/mine-mine/bcm-pcm-eng.aspx?CID=99

Your best best is to get it close to home. Trucking is what will cost the most.

P.Services
08-02-2009, 02:32 PM
wow guys thank you very much. im going to be on the phone and then take a little trip up there very soon

P.Services
08-02-2009, 02:49 PM
all of this stone was picked up out of fields bought from individual land owners. has any one seen this around?

im loking to find the area then im going to take my machine up there and cut a deal per load with the farmer.

P.Services
08-02-2009, 02:52 PM
and a few more......

Triple L
08-02-2009, 04:00 PM
looks like what we call moss rock around here....

P.Services
08-02-2009, 04:03 PM
do you have big chunks of it around? like 6,7,8 foot across? big slabs?

these are just the little leftovers. any way you could get pictures of it out in the feilds? is this stuff common or kinda sparse ?

Pristine PM
08-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Isn't that waterfall rock from Quebec?

ff1221
08-04-2009, 08:25 PM
What are you guys in Toronto paying per ton for armor stone, while we are on the topic of stone.

Triple L
08-04-2009, 08:32 PM
$120 a ton

ff1221
08-08-2009, 07:22 AM
That's not bad, i'm paying $70 right out of the quarry, but I have to go pick it up, and that's a whole day endeavor, and if you get a fine from the MTO like I did last week when I went, it pretty well chews up the profit margin.

PlatinumLandCon
09-02-2009, 05:36 PM
That's not bad, i'm paying $70 right out of the quarry, but I have to go pick it up, and that's a whole day endeavor, and if you get a fine from the MTO like I did last week when I went, it pretty well chews up the profit margin.

Thats not bad, my place is $140 but its 3km from home and open from 6-6 mon-sat, til 8 on Thurs. If I was ever asked to build an armour stone wall of respectable size, I would just buy flat beds of it from up north. For now, its just the odd boulder here and there to accent a landscape.

How's everything going for you guys?

Triple L
09-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Summers been good here, finally slowing down a bit... Just put out all the snow contracts the other day.... Getting the plows all together :dancing:

Cant wait for the snow :drinkup:

Hows things been for you Tom, are you gonna be going to school this year?

ff1221
09-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Still going hard here, if winter doesn't show up in November again, we'll likely be working till Christmas. Snow contracts won't go out till later this month, but I would imagine the same as last year and likely more.:drinkup:

Lynden-Jeff
09-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Massive leaf loading rigg under way. Pics coming to a thread near you soon.

DeVries
09-16-2009, 06:37 AM
I should have my leaf loader hooked up in a few weeks as well the way the leaves are changing now.

Will post pics as soon as it's set up.

ff1221
09-20-2009, 07:52 AM
My leaf loader is always ready, Blower Vac and a garbage can.:laugh:

Pristine PM
09-22-2009, 03:09 PM
wow, such activity!@!@

Anyway, if you guys want to make the trek out to Scarborough ever, I am pretty sure we are going to have a terrible time with leaves this year. Let me know what you would want per hour with a PM.

DeVries
09-22-2009, 08:49 PM
If you have a dump trailer make a cage for it and buy your own vacuum and start suckin.

I should have mine together in about two weeks and will post pics then.

HayBay
10-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Gentle People, If you or someone you know are affected by the Pesticide Ban please respond to this link. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=293361

EcoGreen Services
10-20-2009, 06:07 AM
I owned a medium size property maintenance company. Due to some issues with my prior partners I'm starting over again.. , My Son & Daughter are now now joining me in the business...

Just thought I'd jump on the Ontario Section and say Hey..

DeVries
10-20-2009, 06:14 AM
Welcome. You live in a town that makes some really good beer, but you probably know that already.:drinkup:

HayBay
10-20-2009, 10:03 AM
lol creemore. Good beer. Welcome

EcoGreen Services
10-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Welcome. You live in a town that makes some really good beer, but you probably know that already.:drinkup:

Ya, Figured that one out pretty quick when I moved up here :) .. I'm actually hoping to get the snow removal contract for the brewery since I pointed out to the facilities manager to ensure whoever he selected had proper commercial insurance specifying snow removal, :laugh: (Since I know the Guy who had it last year only has Farm Insurance )

Has anyone used the Beet Extract De-Icers at all ?

Jamie James
10-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Hello everyone........

ECO GREEN LANDSCAPING

seems to be alot of eco names out there........:canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::ca nadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag:

EcoGreen Services
10-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Hello everyone........

ECO GREEN LANDSCAPING

seems to be alot of eco names out there........:canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::ca nadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag:

Hmmm ECO GREEN LANDSCAPING sounds a lot like EcoGreen Landscaping Services and could cause confusion.. You registered the name as a Trademark & Trade Name right ? No ?

No worries, Once my trademark registration is approved I'll send you the bill for the Franchising and licensing fees :)

Maybe I should get the Lawyer working on collecting me some big bucks :clapping: LOL

Having been through a expensive legal fight over my prior companies name, I made sure I did everything right this time to protect myself.

Just a FYI, If you're starting ANY Company, get legal advice and cover your butt for any future legal implications.

APPLICATION FOR THE REGISTRATION OF A TRADE-MARK

1. The applicant, EcoGreen Services Ltd trading as EcoGreen Landscaping Services, the full post office address of whose principal office or place of business is XX, XXXX, ONTARIO, CANADA, XXX XXX, applies for the registration, in accordance with the provisions of the Trade-marks Act, of the trade-mark identified below.

3. The trade-mark has been used in Canada by the applicant in association with all the specific services listed hereafter, and the applicant requests registration in respect of such services. The trade-mark has been so used in Canada in association with the general class of services comprising the following specific services (1) (1) Landscaping maintenance services, namely lawn cutting, spring/fall clean ups, lawn fertilization, lawn aeration, flower and shrub bed maintenance, hedge trimming, and tree pruning; landscape construction services, namely fence construction, deck construction, patio construction, retaining wall construction and rockwork construction; snow and ice management services, namely walkway clearing, parking lot clearing, road clearing, sanding and deicing, and hauling of snow. since October 01, 2009 and in association with the general class of services comprising the following specific services (2) 2) Landscape design services; namely installation and maintenance of irrigation systems; tree stump removal; tree fertilization; and tree spraying. since October 01, 2009 and in association with the general class of services comprising the following specific services (3) (3) Installation and maintenance of transit shelters; pavement texturing; power washing services; pavement line painting; painting of buildings; construction services; hauling of water; vegetation management and control. since October 01, 2009.

4. The applicant by itself or through a licensee, or by itself and through a licensee, intends to use the trade-mark in Canada in association with (1) (1) Landscaping maintenance services, namely lawn cutting, spring/fall clean ups, lawn fertilization, lawn aeration, flower and shrub bed maintenance, hedge trimming, and tree pruning; landscape construction services, namely fence construction, deck construction, patio construction, retaining wall construction and rockwork construction; snow and ice management services, namely walkway clearing, parking lot clearing, road clearing, sanding and deicing, and hauling of snow. , (2) 2) Landscape design services; namely installation and maintenance of irrigation systems; tree stump removal; tree fertilization; and tree spraying. , (3) (3) Installation and maintenance of transit shelters; pavement texturing; power washing services; pavement line painting; painting of buildings; construction services; hauling of water; vegetation management and control. and requests registration of the trade-mark in respect of such services.

5. The applicant is satisfied that he is entitled to use the trade-mark in Canada in association with the services described above.

EcoGreen Services
10-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Sorry if my prior post came off as Anal.
I don't know why you can't edit or delete posts here ????

Just wanted to point out a couple of things and provide some food for thought. Nothing against Jamie.. Actually talked to him on the phone last night... Good Guy.

Jamie James
10-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the last thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:canadaflag::canadaflag:

Triple L
11-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Been a while since i've logged on.... Hopefully someone here will be interested in this....

Tons of 1/2 ton parts for sale -

for 01-07 silverado / sierra 1/2 ton

timbrens - front - $100
timbrens - rear - $100
air bags - rear - paid $430, sell for $200
class 5, 12,000 lbs hitch with electrical - $200 or best offer
analog break controller, good one but cant remember the name - $120 or best offer

pm or call 519-778-8745

refer to http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=38102&page=315 for pics....

Creative Group Ltd.
01-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Hey there fellow Ontarioans! :canadaflag:

Just thought I'd drop by & "bump" this thread for the new year. I never was a member at LawnSite, but instead was registered with the "Hardscape Forum" But I guess they merged everything together now!?! So here I am, LOL :laugh:

LS seems verrrrry busy...alot busier than PlowSite at least. But I like it that way Thumbs Up See Ya over at PS....

Oh, BTW Hi Chad :waving: :laugh:

-Cre

casmi
02-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Does any one know who owns Risi Stone Systems they are located in Toronto.They are into Retaining Wall business.

Thanks

fd8215
03-06-2010, 11:38 PM
BUMP!! lets wake up the rest of us from ontario, spring is here early !!

ff1221
03-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Anyone going to Oaks openhouse in Brampton on Wednesday?

EcoGreen Services
03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Anyone going to Oaks openhouse in Brampton on Wednesday?

I'm going to head down on Wednesday.

Pristine PM
03-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Will there be any pre-order deals?

EcoGreen Services
03-11-2010, 06:56 AM
Will there be any pre-order deals?

There were no deals.
We'll except for a couple of free t-shirts and a free lunch. Nothing special. You didn't miss anything if you didn't go.

Triple L
03-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Cleaning up the shop today, found some good stuff someone might be interested in... Was gonna start a new thread but figured I just post it here cause its only a few items... Make an Offer on anything!

- Walker Square drive - driveshaft - for powering snowblower, power sweeper and other attachements with the sqaure drive - Less then 10 hours on it, Like new, $75

- Walker Grass Catcher Bins - For 9.5 bushell catcher, in good shape, SAVE A TON OF TIME! $100

- Walker dethatcher attachment - only used for 2 seasons, needs 3 new tins, $50

- Farm Tractor PTO driveshaft, Brand new, never used - Make a offer...

Plus all parts at the top of this page are still for sale except for the Rear Timbrens.....

Triple L
03-18-2010, 09:14 PM
bump!!!

Cant belive I still have those catcher bins... There the next best thing to the high dump on the walker... Everyone likes shovelling???

dingybigfoot
03-29-2010, 03:04 PM
March 29th and I'm seeing lco's doing aerations as well as door to door campaigning.
Ive managed to book my existing accounts for aerations. The problem I have is the new accounts that I've managed to book. I'm priced higher than these guys running around doing them for $40 bucks. I'm afraid that they'll jump ship for these lower guys. Its still too early to do any aerating. Any advice guys??

Jaynen
03-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Its to early in my opinion. I like a consistant 15 degree out. Grass still really isnt growing. I hate Spring Masters, always low ballin and popin sprinkler heads!!

dingybigfoot
03-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Its to early in my opinion. I like a consistant 15 degree out. Grass still really isnt growing. I hate Spring Masters, always low ballin and popin sprinkler heads!!

way too early. literally just got two phone calls from two accounts that i had booked. they cancelled me. by the time its aeration time, they'll all cancel from the looks of it.

By-The-Lake
03-29-2010, 06:23 PM
I hear you on the Spring Masters Jaynen. They went down my street last week, but they will be back. I think they only got a few properties this time. I heard rates going for as little as $30 last year after negotiations. They have to be hiring students and paying them by the property - probably only $10/property. I just don't see how they can make any money otherwise. Someone stopped by my house and offered me aeration for $55 so at least they are in a ballpark that I can compete with.

dingybigfoot
03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
$55 is within my ballpark as well. but springmasters are pushing hard.

Pristine PM
03-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Springmasters is really organized, they don't care that it is bad for the grass to be out this early, they just go go go. They somehow managed to extend the season way longer then anyone usually aerated, and then they are trying to take over the asphalt sealing market when the aeretion dries up. Have you seen their carts? Students that don't have a clue what they are doing, but are trying to make that commission.

dingybigfoot
03-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Springmasters is really organized, they don't care that it is bad for the grass to be out this early, they just go go go. They somehow managed to extend the season way longer then anyone usually aerated, and then they are trying to take over the asphalt sealing market when the aeretion dries up. Have you seen their carts? Students that don't have a clue what they are doing, but are trying to make that commission.

yeah ive seen them.
hey! i saw your guys out at Markham Mower lastweek. were you there??

wbread
03-29-2010, 07:02 PM
The aerator kids are cruising around London this week, got my feet nice and muddy delivering fliers...

How are you all doing this year with new lawncare customers? Myself and a couple buddies in the biz up in Toronto are hurtin' for new customers, it seems exceptionally slow considering cleanups are about to start. I think I've received about 4 calls from my fliers this month, which is pathetic.

I'm inclined to think more homeowners are doing it themselves, but really, what gives?
Anyone else getting similar (poor) results this year?

dingybigfoot
03-29-2010, 07:33 PM
The aerator kids are cruising around London this week, got my feet nice and muddy delivering fliers...

How are you all doing this year with new lawncare customers? Myself and a couple buddies in the biz up in Toronto are hurtin' for new customers, it seems exceptionally slow considering cleanups are about to start. I think I've received about 4 calls from my fliers this month, which is pathetic.

I'm inclined to think more homeowners are doing it themselves, but really, what gives?
Anyone else getting similar (poor) results this year?
I've had below average success thus far. Alot of tire kickers, or ones that ask for a quote, and then i can't get them on the phone and they don't return my calls.

Pristine PM
03-29-2010, 09:12 PM
yeah ive seen them.
hey! i saw your guys out at Markham Mower lastweek. were you there??

Yep, I was there. Tall guy.

dingybigfoot
03-29-2010, 09:14 PM
yeah i saw you. tall guy. glasses. you had on your company jacket.

Pristine PM
03-29-2010, 09:19 PM
haha, you should have said hi. I just look like an unfriendly bastar d.

Brisket was dry eh? Salad was good at least.

What equipment were you looking at?

dingybigfoot
03-29-2010, 09:22 PM
haha, you should have said hi. I just look like an unfriendly bastar d.

Brisket was dry eh? Salad was good at least.

What equipment were you looking at?

lol...indeed.
i was checking out the standers. im contemplating getting one.
you and i spoke once last year. i was trying to negotiate a snow bid with
a condo out by islington, and you were giving me some pointers.

Pristine PM
03-29-2010, 09:25 PM
I know, you live Neilson and Sheppard area. How is the summer shaping up?
If you want to check out a grandstand over the standers, let me know. We have both and the grandstands are a way better cut.

dingybigfoot
03-29-2010, 09:27 PM
I know, you live Neilson and Sheppard area. How is the summer shaping up?
If you want to check out a grandstand over the standers, let me know. We have both and the grandstands are a way better cut.

yeah eh??
cool!
summer seems to be shaping up. slower than usual. and a few feet draggers.
but i can't complain.

Pristine PM
03-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Mostly Landscaping or Maintenance?

dingybigfoot
03-29-2010, 09:31 PM
mostly maintenance.

Pristine PM
03-29-2010, 10:06 PM
anyway, give me a call if you want to see well used Grandstands.

dingybigfoot
03-29-2010, 10:24 PM
For sure for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rexdale Grass
03-30-2010, 12:25 AM
speaking of getting hits i just got my spring flyers out to 50 of my customers and already got 4 calls back tonight for aeration, fert and spring clean ups.

On another note when do you guys start spring fertilizer and what do you use I
I have been doing some basic fertilizing and it's really a good cash grab for what you have to do. Now I have a local supplier and I tend to used what they suggest and they haven't done me wrong but what I want to know is when do you think is a good time for spring fertilizer. Now so you know I tend to just do spring and fall fert. Normally the spring is a 35-5-10 an the fall 5-10-15 let me know

Pristine PM
03-30-2010, 09:07 AM
I am a 21-7-7 guy for the spring... 35 is a bit high for my places. I wouldn't want to burn anything.

Rexdale Grass
03-31-2010, 12:18 AM
yeah I always want the 21-7-7 but they never have it maybe you took it all!

EcoGreen Services
04-01-2010, 09:03 AM
25-4-10 or 9-3-4 CGM organic.

Well , If Agrium would ship that is.

Jaynen
04-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Anyone near the Kitchener area that has a stand on sulky for sale?

dingybigfoot
04-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I put down some corn gluten today on some of my resi's.
Anyone else start their ferts yet?
Posted via Mobile Device

dingybigfoot
04-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Oh yeah!!!
Happy Easter Boys!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Pristine PM
04-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Lot's of rain this week... crappy week to start full time, full service.

EcoGreen Services
04-06-2010, 08:52 PM
I put down some corn gluten today on some of my resi's.
Anyone else start their ferts yet?
Posted via Mobile Device

I've already got all the CGM down, We had soil temps over 60F for 4 days last week so I always want it down before we get 3-4 days at 55F. Once the crabgrass and dandelions germinate I find the effectiveness of CGM goes down the toilet. I actually use a lot more 8-1-6 corn plus than straight CGM.

It was really funny on Saturday, One of my neighbors had about 5 bags of the $33 for 9kg Scotts Turfbuilder Weed Prevent :laugh: I told him he might want to wait until the rain started. He ignored me and spread all 5 bags. It was so funny seeing the 100s and Canada Geese and Seagulls eating up all his fertilizer. :dizzy:

Pristine PM
04-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Deal on at Fairgreen for Tuesday on Fert.

Triple L
04-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Hello Hello Hello guys, havent checked in here for a while... couldnt belive I missed 3 pages.... :waving:

Pristine PM
04-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Three pages here is a year! haha

Triple L
05-06-2010, 09:49 PM
LOL aint that the truth.... I think its time for me to update the sig.... Man alot of stuff has changed in the last year or so.... I think Im gonna just do without it... Sigs seem to be the teenage kid type thing... I guess the 6 year ago thing LOL...

Jaynen
05-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Feels like I never got a break from lawns cuz of that crappy winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

dingybigfoot
05-06-2010, 09:53 PM
LOL aint that the truth.... I think its time for me to update the sig.... Man alot of stuff has changed in the last year or so.... I think Im gonna just do without it... Sigs seem to be the teenage kid type thing... I guess the 6 year ago thing LOL...

What fert is everyone using? I've been using corn plus. I'm thinking of switching some accounts to cargill.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jaynen
05-06-2010, 10:04 PM
I am usin the nu gro stuff
Posted via Mobile Device

Pristine PM
05-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Just use cargil for $15 a bag

dingybigfoot
05-08-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm gonna. Does it burn easy?
Posted via Mobile Device

JFGauvreau
05-08-2010, 05:27 PM
What's up everyone, just discovered this thread on lawn site... lol

Looks like everyone here is mostly southern Ontario.

For my ferts, I use a 25-5-15 all year round..