PDA

View Full Version : Ontario Landscapers!!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Lynden-Jeff
03-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Hey,

Thought id start a thread for us Ontarians. Anyone started to advertise yet? When do you guys think the mowers will be hitting the ground.

Cheers
Jeff

ff1221
03-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Hey Jeff, didn't realize you were a landscaper as well as a plower, this is great setting up this thread. I've got lawn contracts starting May 1, I hope the snow is gone by then. Have you got lots of work lined up for the spring/summer? Thanks for setting this up, great networking tool.

Mike:canadaflag:

Lynden-Jeff
03-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Yep multi talented here. Just starting to think about spring, only given one commercial quote so far. Hopefully get flyer's out in a week and a half and then right through until may. Will be contacting my last years residential hopefully next week as we are in for some snow this week!

Cheers

PlatinumLandCon
03-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Hellllooo plowers! I just saw the post over on PS so I decided to drop in

Triple L
03-24-2008, 06:46 AM
It's been a while since I've been on lawnsite, just updated the signature with the new stuff for this year and thought id drop a line to, I dont know about this year yet, see how today goes, If it goes good I'll be dropping all my resi's.... If it goes bad, I'll be keeping all of them.... Im hoping it goes good! no advertising, no flyers, no BS... Puttin my first commercial quote out today also, Sure hopin i get it, shes a nice one :dancing:

goj
03-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Hey if anyone in Southern Ontario is looking to get rid of some accounts, residential or commercial, let me know cause I'm definitely lookin to get some new ones this season. I'll be out advertising this week hopefully, pounding the pavement dropping off flyers.

DeVries
03-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Now we're talkin guy's. Lets put away the plows and start cleanups.
It's good to see some familiar names here. We usually start to do cleanups the last week of march but this year I don't know might be the second week of april. Heck their callin for 5cm's for tuesday.........keeping my fingers crossed that doesn't happen:canadaflag:

Lynden-Jeff
03-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Yep haven't even started advertising, still snow on tap for this week, people arn't thinking green if they see white.

Triple L
03-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Hey if anyone in Southern Ontario is looking to get rid of some accounts, residential or commercial, let me know cause I'm definitely lookin to get some new ones this season. I'll be out advertising this week hopefully, pounding the pavement dropping off flyers.

Hay, I was just looking at your website, south coast property maintenance, How in the world does this work, You service all of southern ontario??? btw, half of the links on the website dont work!!! Do you got satallite locations or are you a sub for south coast, I've never seen anyone set-up like this before other then the big dogs and I've also never heard of you, just wondering, btw, where are you located?

ff1221
03-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Now we're talkin guy's. Lets put away the plows and start cleanups.
It's good to see some familiar names here. We usually start to do cleanups the last week of march but this year I don't know might be the second week of april. Heck their callin for 5cm's for tuesday.........keeping my fingers crossed that doesn't happen:canadaflag:

I took one plow off a week ago, and all the contracts end April 1, after that they can shovel. By the time this snow goes away, i'll be so far behind in construction that I won't even be thinking about cleanups. I sure hope the weather warms up for May 1st, or the grass crew is going to freeze thier a** off.

leaflandscape
03-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Musclecarboy, is that your new ride on your avatar, if so I'm movin' to Toronto, that's where the money is. I can't wait to get back to working, we're lined up for a boatload of hardscape and garden installs, and we've been busy with the homeshow circuit. Nice to have an Ontario thread, great idea.

goj
03-24-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm starting up South Coast- I've been doing this sorta off and on with a regular job on the side for 5 years. I do service a large area- but only certain jobs will make me drive from my location (near Tillsonburg) to, say, Niagara Falls for instance or Hamilton. The higher paying ones. I was considering setting up accounts across SW Ontario and contracting them out to locals, but naw, it's better if everyone does their own thing. I'm still playing with some ideas though. The site isn't done yet. That's why most of the links are dead. Lets just put it this way. I'm leaving some options open. But at the same time, I may be moving out west later this summer, cause I met a girl up there (I'm single) but that's very unsure right now, so if it comes to that point, I may have a bunch of accounts up for grabs in mid-to-late summer.

Lynden-Jeff
03-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Looks like I may have pulled the trigger on a 20 ft black enclosed trailer. Boy is it sexy. Hopefully the financing goes through! Where did Daner the maner go.

cantoo
03-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Hi guys, the wife just got home from a week in Cuba and says I have to get equipment ready to go. Looks like a late start to the season but that will give me more time to get ready. We don't do any advertising so nothing to get ready for that. I never built my flatbed dump on the 3/4 ton chev truck we bought yet so I should get started on it. I did keep the old truck so if I don't get it done it's no big deal. The cube van has to go in for the yearly inspection but it's surrounded by 3' of snow and I'm too lazy to move the snow so that'll have to wait. I haven't got fert or chemical prices yet so we're not quoting anything until I have some firm prices, not gonna start off the year losing money.
ff1221, I'm pretty close to you. I live near Lucknow and run along the lake from Goderich to Kincardine. Our closest account to you is in Heritage Heights. We do one of the Bruce Power guy's lawn, well my wife does I just tell everyone I do the work. Tomorrow I'll be in Tiverton doing my day job. If you see a big stick in the air and a house flying overhead that's me and my guys. We drive blue trucks.

ff1221
03-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Cantoo, we should get together for a cold one, I got some leads on a few residentials if you are interested, are you doing Hawthorn's place? Are you slinging a Quality or a Royal tomorrow, if it's a Quality, a buddy of mine might be stitchin it, he lives up there. Good hearing from you, by the way who else has blue trucks beside Collins Construction?:drinkup:

ff1221
03-25-2008, 01:23 AM
Sorry Cantoo, just dawned on me, Royal

zam-silva
03-25-2008, 02:35 PM
:canadaflag:Hello everyone ,great site guys. Just starting out in landscaping and would like to form alliances with anyone who s interested. I have been in the construction industries for some time now and have access to pits and quarries. I own a tri_axle dump truck and can provide material in bulk deliverd at a good price such as:armour stone from$75 a ton,screening,3/4 crush-$30 a ton. My target area is Milton, looking for any work that could be thrown my way. Looking forward to the upcoming season and building some alliances with some of you.

DeVries
03-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Hey Zam-silva.
I might be interested in the armour stone. Where does it come from and at $75.00 per ton where is that delivered to. Do you off load or do I need to? Let me know.
Al

zam-silva
03-25-2008, 04:24 PM
The armour stone for $75 is from a farm in Flamborugh.Its golden brown in colour and basically I dump it where ever you want it.Depending on where you live I will charge a delivery charge but if your close to me its $75 a ton cash on delivery.

cantoo
03-25-2008, 07:06 PM
ff1221, yup the big blue ones. I'm not allowed to say the Q word, everytime I do a little of my soul goes to heck. Is your buddy Chad? He's doing a house for me in a little while. He works for both of us. Today was a bust, too windy to set we have to sling over a neighbour house and risk of dropping on it with the wind gusts was too much. We're trying again tomorrow morning but I'm only going to be there a couple of hours. Louie from Collins just lives down the road from me, small world isn't it?
My wife does the Hawthorne place when he's too busy. She also does the interior cleaning. I supervised the house building and some on going maintenance so it's works for us. Seems I'm there every couple of weeks. She's the only one who actually works so we're as busy as she can be. I help out on weekends and do equipment maintenance to keep her running. I'm also pretty keen on auction sales so it keeps me busy. We buy and sell in our spare time.
Do you do any gravel sweeping? We run a JD with a front mount sweeper but I'm looking for one for my Steiner.

ff1221
03-26-2008, 06:07 AM
Cantoo, I guess yesterday would have been a bust, today mightn't be any screamin Hell either, sounds a little breezy out. I didn't realize Chad was stitchin for both, i haven't talked to him since last fall. Glad to hear you're keeping your wife busy, my wife does what few residentials we have, then spends the rest of the week slaving for me in construction, the majority of our lawns are municipal stuff in the townships. I've seen your van around, and wondered who it was, strange meeting here.I don't do any sweeping, but often get requests, do you want me to throw your name out?

cantoo
03-26-2008, 10:20 PM
ff1221, the set went well today well the half I was at anyway. Had to go to a funeral. Hopefully we are done with the winter crap now, I think everyone has had enough. I don't know Chad at all but he's scheduled to do one of my houses in a few weeks.
We only take on a few new customers each year and we try to dump a few crappy ones. She usually only takes on referrals from existing customers. We try to do as few sweeping jobs as we can, it's not a lot of fun. We do a fair bit of spraying and a little fert. We try to do a variety of jobs with just a few customers. At one time it was a plan to have me go full time too but she's too hard for me to work for so I guess I'll keep the day job.
I just took a look at one of your threads, nice looking massey's. My wife has likely seen you around, she only lets me cut our lawn. I don't keep the lines straight enough and try to do more than we are paid for.
Here's some of my equipment. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=185239&highlight=steiner

Lynden-Jeff
03-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Well just purchased my one new peice of equiptment this year, a black enclosed trailer! Will have pics up soon.

Cheers
Jeff

Triple L
03-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Nice Nice! Did you go all out on this trailer? Black will look just bitchin behind your truck! I'll put up a pic of my new dumper to once I getter all lettered up

Cantoo, wow buddy, you've got just about ever single attachment that could ever to thought of for your steiner, good stuff!

cantoo
03-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Triple L, I only have a couple official Steiner attachments the rest of the stuff I built myself. Too cheap to pay for the red paint. The Breslau sale is next Saturday I'm sure there will be something there I just have to have. There was a couple of cheap skid steers at the London sale tonight but I just can't justify one to my wife. Yet.

leaflandscape
03-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Triple L, I only have a couple official Steiner attachments the rest of the stuff I built myself. Too cheap to pay for the red paint. The Breslau sale is next Saturday I'm sure there will be something there I just have to have. There was a couple of cheap skid steers at the London sale tonight but I just can't justify one to my wife. Yet.

Which London sale was that? There've been a lot of great used skidsteers around this winter, a lot of guys must be retiring or upgrading.

Bustus
03-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Still waiting for this snow to be gone!!

cantoo
03-29-2008, 04:45 PM
leafandlawn, McKenzie's repo sale. I've been going for around 20 plus years. I buy a few things there, went home empty last Thursday.
http://www.mckenzieauction.com/

Daner
03-29-2008, 07:16 PM
You guys have way too many toys...LOL...Thought I would drop In here and say Hello.
That snow Is taking a long time to melt...anyway,I'm looking for a fertilizer supplier around here,that has some easy prices...any suggestions?

Bring on the heat...I'm almost booked already for the summer

Cheers... and good Idea on the Thread There Jeff

Daner

cantoo
03-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Hey Daner, I haven't even talked to my fert suppliers yet. I'm kind of afraid to ask prices. We don't do alot of fert anyway but I was hoping to increase some this year to offset chemical losses. We always tell our customers to only spray as needed and spend the money on fert to keep the grass growing and crowd out the weeds. We use a couple of local farm supply places that we also work for so we're in a bit of a bind supply wise. Don't want to lose their business either.
The snow is melting here but dang slow. I was out playing with the Steiner today moving some piles to speed up the melting. They are talking some rain so that will help alot. We are starting to get a few calls from people making sure we are keeping them on our lists. We are starting this week on some small jobs.

PlatinumLandCon
03-29-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm so ready for this summer. I just bought my new truck today so I can't wait to haul my first load of stuff with it. Let the games begin!

leaflandscape
03-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Yeah, Mackenzies always has some great stuff. A lot of the stuff is city equipment so you know it's taken care of. A buddy of mine's looking at the salt truck coming up in a couple weeks. If I see one more lick of snow, I'm moving to Mexico.

Lynden-Jeff
03-29-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm so ready for this summer. I just bought my new truck today so I can't wait to haul my first load of stuff with it. Let the games begin!

ICK a duromax !!! :hammerhead:

PlatinumLandCon
03-29-2008, 11:07 PM
ICK a duromax !!! :hammerhead:

ICK meaning....? lol

Lynden-Jeff
03-30-2008, 10:23 AM
ICK meaning....? lol

Bad!!! lol Ford>dodge>Chevy for the truck, Dodge>Ford>Chevy for the engine!!

PlatinumLandCon
03-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Bad!!! lol Ford>dodge>Chevy for the truck, Dodge>Ford>Chevy for the engine!!

I have to disagree. Lets leave it at that before this thread blows up into a big argument LOL

DAFFMOBILEWASH
03-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi guys, the thread on PS is getting a little slow. Thought I'd hop over here for a peak. Nice to see lots of familiar names.

What is the Auction everyone is talking about up there in London area. Have been looking for some trucks but don't want to break the bank. Had a Constuction auction down here last weekend but what a joke. Most of the equipment had a stupid reserve which was 50% higher than a retail price!!! Looking for a smaller 5ton diesel truck (l7000) preferable and a 94-98 12valve cummins Dodge.

As to the previous post I agree on the Engine part of Dodge (cummins) and the truck side of Ford. Thats why I love the L7000 so much. By far the best truck I have ever had.

DAFF

Lynden-Jeff
03-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Hi guys, the thread on PS is getting a little slow. Thought I'd hop over here for a peak. Nice to see lots of familiar names.

What is the Auction everyone is talking about up there in London area. Have been looking for some trucks but don't want to break the bank. Had a Constuction auction down here last weekend but what a joke. Most of the equipment had a stupid reserve which was 50% higher than a retail price!!! Looking for a smaller 5ton diesel truck (l7000) preferable and a 94-98 12valve cummins Dodge.

As to the previous post I agree on the Engine part of Dodge (cummins) and the truck side of Ford. Thats why I love the L7000 so much. By far the best truck I have ever had.

DAFF

If Ford only took cummins back and it put it their own damn trucks! I think fords new engine for the 2010 trucks will be good, afterall they do own cummins so they should know what their doing as far as building diesel engines. What is the I7000?

Cheers

DAFFMOBILEWASH
03-30-2008, 09:25 PM
My 96 Ford L7000 has a old school 5.9 12 valve Cummins motor with a manual six speed trans. The engine is totally mechanicial and super dependable. All in all the only issue has been the juice brakes. I'd buy another of these trucks in a heart beat. As long as the body is good. They seem to melt underneath like the old school Dodge pick ups.

DAFF

Lynden-Jeff
03-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Ah Sweet. Hopefully ford can get its engine act together (right now the 6.4 is the best diesel on the market for 08, other then milage) although I have a 6.0 and it has been the best truck ive ever owned.

Cheers

cantoo
03-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Daffmobilewash, might be tough finding that combo. This is one of the sales I go to. They have a variety of stuff there depending on the week and what's released.
http://www.mckenzieauction.com/

Triple L
03-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Ah Sweet. Hopefully ford can get its engine act together (right now the 6.4 is the best diesel on the market for 08, other then milage) although I have a 6.0 and it has been the best truck ive ever owned.

Cheers

best diesel.... hows that one work, its the slowest of the three (diesel power mag) and gets the worst fuel economy and blows flames out the exhaust... Just cause its quietest, who cares! I'll go along with the 6 l being alright

ff1221
03-31-2008, 10:33 AM
I was going to jump all over a Duramax for my next ride, but it would seem the oil producers have caught on to the fact that everyone is going to a diesel, and their margins have increased drastically. Diesel used to be cheaper than gas, but I see it is now at par or slightly above, and for the work most of us do, I don't think the diesel will get that much better mileage hauling dirt, and pulling trailers. I'll hafta watch the prices before i make that decision.

ff1221
03-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Sorry,diesel is .15 a liter more than regular here. It's 1.25. Not so many years ago, around 2000 it was around .50 per litre. Poor oil companies, how do they make it through.:laugh:

Triple L
03-31-2008, 05:23 PM
ya no doubt! Man, I'm glad i got a gasser every time I see the pumps now, anyone who has a diesel must be pissed... I could see diesel being at par with gas but this is just rediculus being 20-25 cents per litre more, come on now :dizzy:

DeVries
03-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Gas is at $1.07 today and diesel is at $1.19. Man am I glad I bought a gasser, first on since 1998.
All of my plows, salters, snowblowers and shovells are all stored. We are starting cleanups tomorrow.
Can't wait:cool2:

cantoo
03-31-2008, 06:40 PM
We have both a diesel and gasser pickup. Our cube van is a gasser but at 5000kms a year it's not bad anyway. I was looking for a diesel but didn't find one so got the gasser. Lot more power than the 6.2 diesel when pulling. Still looking for another truck and don't really care if it's diesel or not.

PlatinumLandCon
03-31-2008, 07:10 PM
Diesel is such a PITA. I just think of it this way "I'm driving somewhere to make money" so it makes it a bit easier to handle lol

Lynden-Jeff
03-31-2008, 07:13 PM
I would still buy a diesel over a gaser anyday. Not only for the longevity of the engine (I put on almost 90,000KM a year) but just for the pure power. Even if its .10$ more a liter, I get over 900 Km to a tank towing an enclosed, chipped of course. Still doing pretty good!

Cheers

PlatinumLandCon
03-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Jeff also has a good point. Lots of guys put on a zillion km's a year and would wear out a gasser quickly. Not to mention the pure power aspect:cool2:

Zed
03-31-2008, 07:52 PM
off-topic here, but what kinda hourly rate should a pesticide licenced employee make?

cantoo
03-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Sorry zed, no idea what a licenced tech should make. My wife makes my supper and does my laundry but that's about it. I been gonna ask for a raise but I think she would fire me and hire a young kid pretty quick.
We only put around 5000kms on each of our rigs so diesel really isn't worth it. I also only buy used so long life isn't really a big deal. I usually buy used municipal trucks at auctions. Our old diesel is Conservation Authority orange our newer gasser is Toronto Hydro yellow and our cube van is School Board white. I always say I'm gonna paint them but I'm too lazy and cheap. I'm thinking County green for the next one.
93 diesel truck has over 400,000kms, 95 gasser truck has 130,000kms, 91 cube van gasser has about 400,000kms and our 94 minivan has over 400,000kms on it. Let's just say I don't have a lot invested in our equipment that sits idle most of the time.

PlatinumLandCon
03-31-2008, 09:18 PM
With all this gas vs diesel talk and the difference in price, has anyone ever thought of making biodiesel? When I bought my junker 1990 Chevy 6.2 diesel, the guy's original plan was to run bio and he included this book with a full write-up on how to make biodiesel, including making a processor and everything. I think I might look into running a 25-50% blend this summer if I have time to do the bio thing.

DeVries
03-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Hey Jeff I keep hearing more and more about the chips. How expensive are they, and do they save you on fuel or just give you more power?

Lynden-Jeff
03-31-2008, 09:57 PM
Hey Jeff I keep hearing more and more about the chips. How expensive are they, and do they save you on fuel or just give you more power?

Hey,

They arn't cheap however they are great. I can run about 500 HP with mine on max setting, just by pressing a button. It also monitors all my temps and has auto shutdowns. I haven't seen too much summer MPG (because I got it in november) but it sure did help me with winter MPG (even though winters crap on milage for diesels). It cost me about $1200 however there are cheaper non fancy ones that do the same thing.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/grimmperformance/PMT.jpg
Cheers
Jeff

PlatinumLandCon
03-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Jeff, that thing looks flippin awesome! Any pics of it in the truck? Does it stay permanently mounted somewhere? I assume all the read-outs are as accurate as the dash guages?

Lynden-Jeff
03-31-2008, 10:53 PM
Jeff, that thing looks flippin awesome! Any pics of it in the truck? Does it stay permanently mounted somewhere? I assume all the read-outs are as accurate as the dash guages?

Will get pics tomorow. It is more accurate then the dash, althought it uses the computer for its numbers, its not just an idiot light like the dash. There is a post turbo pyro added in also that is seperate from the computer.

Cheers

DeVries
03-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Wow from what I hear the bully dog is the best you can get. I guess if you are getting better milage it would be worth it. Would they work for a gasser as well?

DAFFMOBILEWASH
04-01-2008, 01:33 AM
On the gas vs diesel delema I'm at a cross road again. A few years back everything in the fleet was diesel, then I had some issues with a few injector pumps and went back to gas. Not with the cost of fuel rising again the diesel is looking good again. I think it is going to come down to what is the best deal on a given aution.

While we are talking about cool gagets, has anyone installed any GPS systems into thier trucks. Thought it would be a good idea in the winter in case of a lawsuit. If these systems could be tracked using your at home computer it would take the guesswork out of when you got there and the time you left plus the date and times would be trackable.

DAFF

ff1221
04-01-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm with cantoo, I don't put the miles on to warrant the extra costs involved with a diesel, but if bio-diesel were more viable I would seriously look at changing. That's the advantage of a diesel, there are alternatives without making expensive conversions to the motor, but bio-diesel still needs some work before it will work 100% especially in the winter, it has a tendency to gel up easily.

Lynden-Jeff
04-01-2008, 09:21 AM
On the gas vs diesel delema I'm at a cross road again. A few years back everything in the fleet was diesel, then I had some issues with a few injector pumps and went back to gas. Not with the cost of fuel rising again the diesel is looking good again. I think it is going to come down to what is the best deal on a given aution.

While we are talking about cool gagets, has anyone installed any GPS systems into thier trucks. Thought it would be a good idea in the winter in case of a lawsuit. If these systems could be tracked using your at home computer it would take the guesswork out of when you got there and the time you left plus the date and times would be trackable.

DAFF

The guy I subbed for this year had GPS tracking on all his trucks and his salt truck with a salter sensor. I will definatly have this next year. I did just get a device from telus called an asset tracker which is a small sticky pad sized tracking device that pings ever 30 minutes for $30 a month. Will tell you where that peice of equipment its. Pretty cool.

Cheers
Jeff

Lynden-Jeff
04-02-2008, 07:12 PM
So just hooked up 10,000 flyers for delivery. Woot

DeVries
04-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Wow 10,000 flyers? Are you delivering them your self or does the post office do it for you? I have never advertised like that. Does it pay off?
I have my entire crew starting tomorrow. First meeting in the morning and then time for spring cleanups.
Here come the blisters:weightlifter:

ff1221
04-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Hoping to get started next week on a small deck and walkway project, we're to busy to even think about yard cleanups, besides I hate them, and none of the cheapskates around here want to pay the hourly rates to have their yard cleaned, some kid will do it for $10 per hour. Besides the Ontario government will give college and university students $3000 to start their own business so they all become Landscapers, instead of giving us $3000 and letting us give them the experience they need. Sorry that's my rant, but every summer 3 more "landscapers" show up here, the latest ad says "best rates", and i'm sure the work reflects those rates.

PlatinumLandCon
04-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Hoping to get started next week on a small deck and walkway project, we're to busy to even think about yard cleanups, besides I hate them, and none of the cheapskates around here want to pay the hourly rates to have their yard cleaned, some kid will do it for $10 per hour. Besides the Ontario government will give college and university students $3000 to start their own business so they all become Landscapers, instead of giving us $3000 and letting us give them the experience they need. Sorry that's my rant, but every summer 3 more "landscapers" show up here, the latest ad says "best rates", and i'm sure the work reflects those rates.

I went through that program LOL. It isn't anything special, I just used the money to boost my existing business.

pcs
04-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Maintenance crew started this week with litter pick up. These sites are a mess because there was no time over the winter.

How's every ones year looking?

Lynden-Jeff
04-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Just starting trash pickup. No contracted cleanups until after the 15th when the contracts start! The flyers work out well, I send about 30,000 every year at minimum. Post office does it for around .10$ a flyer.

Cheers.
Jeff

cantoo
04-02-2008, 11:46 PM
ff, I noticed a couple new ads in the local papers the last few weeks. This usually gets our regulars calling us making sure we are thinking of them. It's going to take awhile for the ground to dry up before we can start sweeping. Got a couple of calls for lawn rolling this week, another job my wife hates. Have a couple of sod repairs to do whenever it gets dry, snowblowers are always good for some work.

Triple L
04-03-2008, 07:42 AM
we aint rolling out till atleast the 15th, my walker will get stuck instantly now or will be leaving mega ruts, plus my trailer is still barried under 3' of snow, I certainly aint shovelling that crap. Had the new dumper out last week tho delivering a manure spreader :weightlifter: I was ticked, brand new trailer and the battery was totally shot, charged it for a week and only got it about 1' up.... so $150 later put a transport truck battery in there, no goofin around

PlatinumLandCon
04-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Man, I was pissed last fall when I lost about 6 clean-up jobs because of the snow. Now I'll just have that much more work this year :drinkup:

heather lawn sp
04-03-2008, 09:13 AM

First you gotta tell us where you are!
ONTARIO ain't quite close enough com'on change it to your town!:canadaflag:

heather lawn sp
04-03-2008, 09:30 AM
off-topic here, but what kinda hourly rate should a pesticide licenced employee make?

About $15 an hour with ticket and experience

Triple L
04-03-2008, 02:50 PM
hay heather, you gettin your equipment ready to rock for this season, better be top notch if your gonna be sprayin my properties:D

ff1221
04-03-2008, 06:42 PM
ff, I noticed a couple new ads in the local papers the last few weeks. This usually gets our regulars calling us making sure we are thinking of them. It's going to take awhile for the ground to dry up before we can start sweeping. Got a couple of calls for lawn rolling this week, another job my wife hates. Have a couple of sod repairs to do whenever it gets dry, snowblowers are always good for some work.

Ya I got some of those, mind you I'm the one that caused them so the pay ain't so good.:hammerhead:

Pristine PM
04-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Saw my second company out today, we take care of townhouse complexes and next week will be mostly picking up sticks and blowing peoples front lawns (if they are dry) and the streets. Who else is starting soon?

heather lawn sp
04-03-2008, 09:22 PM
hay heather, you gettin your equipment ready to rock for this season, better be top notch if your gonna be sprayin my properties:D

Are you ready to rock and mow!! :weightlifter:

leaflandscape
04-03-2008, 10:31 PM
We tried to get rid of a pile of masonry and bricks today with the bobcat, and it's funny because the pile's still frozen 6" in but the ground's a sloppy mess 18" away. Not really sure when to really start, since there's no more use in watching the Leafs play.

DeVries
04-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Saw my second company out today, we take care of townhouse complexes and next week will be mostly picking up sticks and blowing peoples front lawns (if they are dry) and the streets. Who else is starting soon?

We started in earnest today I've got blisters to prove. I guess operating a plow controler doesn't give you calouses.
Some areas that are shaded still have frost or snow but all in all the cleanup is going good. No found money yet but we always find something so who knows.

cantoo
04-03-2008, 10:57 PM
We have a couple of construction cleanups to do, hopefully tomorrow morning before the rain. A small tree to cut down and clean up ( note to self don't let wife price jobs for friends) should only take 1/2 hour. We're getting fert calls and a few spray calls but not giving any prices yet other than to remind people that the prices are going up. We do a couple of bigger properties and the price is gonna scare them. I see a few guys are getting their old lawn rollers out, we're thinking of selling our ride on unit. My wife hates using it she prefers the Steiner and roller behind it, faster and easier on the back. I wanna make a front mount unit but need to find the right roller steel first. Spring is coming.

Triple L
04-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Are you ready to rock and mow!! :weightlifter:

O you betcha :cool: Fired up all the trimmers and was out rippin around on the new walker last week, just gotta giver a nice coat of wax and she's off to the races... Everythings workin like a charm except for my Bedshaper. You think I could get that 14HP Kawi going, not a chance :angry: I'll try a new plug and draining out the fuel this weekend, other then that, just gotta take the salt shaker of the truck and put the dumpinsert back on, Gonna wait another week for that one tho... just incase something crazy happens, I wouldnt mind seeing some freezing rain going on :laugh:

Lynden-Jeff
04-04-2008, 09:04 AM
We started in earnest today I've got blisters to prove. I guess operating a plow controler doesn't give you calouses.
Some areas that are shaded still have frost or snow but all in all the cleanup is going good. No found money yet but we always find something so who knows.

lol youve already started in grimsby???? I don't even have the equipment out of the shop for tuneup and im only 25 minutes from you lol. Everything is still to muddy here, not to mention there is still snow. Calls are slowly starting to roll in, how are they doing for you guys? Look what I got:

http://www.lyndenlawncare.com/2.jpg

http://www.lyndenlawncare.com/3.jpg

http://www.lyndenlawncare.com/4.jpg

http://www.lyndenlawncare.com/5.jpg

DeVries
04-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Nice set of wheels Jeff. Will lok good with your truck.
Now you got lots of room to put a logo on and advertise. Nothing like a nice enclosed trailer.

Lynden-Jeff
04-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Triple L or HLS, do either of you guys service cambridge residential? May have lead if you want it.

Cheers

Triple L
04-05-2008, 09:59 AM
U betcha, I even got an 11 acre estate I maintain in cambridge, where abouts is it located? I defentially hop all over this one Jeff, see if it will fit in my route... wanna PM me the details, thanks bud!

Daner, so whats the deal with the meet and greet???

Off to the maple surup festival now :dancing:

Lynden-Jeff
04-05-2008, 10:02 AM
I don't think Daner has seen this thread yet. Will PM you details soon, have it out in the truck and its too cold to go out right now. Also I have a 6X12 trailer for sale for anyone that needs one, good deal with racks too. PM me for details.

Cheers

Lynden-Jeff
04-06-2008, 11:23 AM
lol sold the 6 X 12 already however still have the greentouch racks for sale, will let em go for a good deal. Isnt this sexy?

http://www.lyndenlawncare.com/trucktrailer.jpg

Cheers
Jeff

Triple L
04-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Killer! Have fun keeping that thing clean.....

PlatinumLandCon
04-06-2008, 11:41 PM
That rig is awesome! Triple L has a point LOL

Lynden-Jeff
04-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Blacks the hardest to keep clean but when its clean, looks better then anything else on the road.

Triple L
04-08-2008, 06:32 PM
whats been crakin boys??? busted out the new to me power broom for the ol walker yesterday and took it to town on my lawn.... lol not much left of the back yard but my front yard looks just bitchin now... took a little bit to get uset to :weightlifter: hopefully next week will be full tilt spring clean-ups, see how it goes, hows about you guys... anyone pickin up a bunch of new customers?

DeVries
04-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Spring cleanups are going great especially with the warm weather. Got some new jobs and a power broom for the echo trimers to take the gravel off of the grass works slick. At $400.00 it better.
If any one knows of someone with experiance in the niagara region tell him to contact me, I need one more full time guy or girl. Seems good workers are harder and harder to find nowadays.
We should have cleanups done by the end of next week and start beds the week after, if it doesn't rain. Is friday still lookin cold and crappy. I've visited plowsite a few times but nothing goin on there. I guess everyone is thinking green and summer.

Lynden-Jeff
04-08-2008, 09:43 PM
lol I havent even started yet! Must be warmer in grimsby then hamilton lol. So hows the power broom, better then the power paddel for gravel???????

Cheers

Lynden-Jeff
04-08-2008, 09:44 PM
whats been crakin boys??? busted out the new to me power broom for the ol walker yesterday and took it to town on my lawn.... lol not much left of the back yard but my front yard looks just bitchin now... took a little bit to get uset to :weightlifter: hopefully next week will be full tilt spring clean-ups, see how it goes, hows about you guys... anyone pickin up a bunch of new customers?

Calls starting to come in for you? Slowly starting to pickup for me, a few every day, think its a tad early yet.

cantoo
04-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Triple L how's the broom work on the Walker? I have a worn out one but have never used it. What did you pay for your's used? I have a 5' fixed angle unit on my JD front mount but want to put one on the Steiner. My wife started sweeping today on the dry properties. We have around 20 to 30 properties to do. We cut down 5 big trees today for my father in law, he's doing the cleanup we just had to drop them. Had to drop one 60' willow into the pond then pull it out. Things are drying out quick here. The phone is ringing with old and new customers wanting work done. My son's first 4 wheeler race in this weekend so he's no help, too busy getting ready.

DeVries
04-09-2008, 08:10 AM
lol I havent even started yet! Must be warmer in grimsby then hamilton lol. So hows the power broom, better then the power paddel for gravel???????

Cheers

Actually it's the power paddle. It works great, we used to have the broom but it took to much of the grass with it.
I guess it's warmer here than Hamilton. We have sites in Hamilton but won't be there until next week. I guess we wait and see.

ff1221
04-09-2008, 08:15 AM
I broke down, did my first and last yard clean-up yesterday, I even splurged and bought three new rakes for the wife to operate. It's raining on and off here today so I guess I'll call around and settle up the last of the snow accounts.

Triple L
04-09-2008, 08:38 AM
im really likin the power broom actually! works awsome, used it on my property and my front lawn had mega snowmold on it, was just rediculus and as long as you dont put it down to far it sweeps just perfectly, myns got the front casters on it also so that helps to keep it from diggin excessively but my back lawn was a bit wet and if your not uset to it, yes it can do a little damage :) I had a dethatcher rake deal for the walker before but all that stupid thing did was plug the deck up with soil and crap so enough of that, I got the cleanest front lawn on the street now, even swept up the od grub :dancing: picked up a new customer yesterday, things are slow but then again im not really looking for too many new propertys, still waiting for a mega big commerical deal, maby it will come thru, maby not....

Lynden-Jeff
04-09-2008, 08:58 AM
I need more commercial, but I fear its getting to late.

Pristine PM
04-12-2008, 08:28 PM
We are almost done our cleanups. Everything should be in good shape by the end of the week. Grass is even starting to look green and I have a few areas that are growing. No where near needing a cut, but I am seeing growth.

cantoo
04-12-2008, 10:01 PM
We're (my wife) still sweeping lawns. Did a couple of parking lots yesterday before the rain. I graded a gravel parking lot today and did some rut repair. Now the darn float for the blade on my Steiner is stuck on. Not sure what happened just loaded it and called it a day. Guess I'm fixing again tomorrow. I mounted our used slide in dump bed into our 3/4 ton today, seems to work pretty good. We've still got quite abit of sweeping to do. As soon as she pulls up to a house the neighbour comes out and wants their's done. Man it's a dirty job, better her than me.

Daner
04-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Daner has been too busy power bromming...lol....Nice riggins there Jeff....My race car trailer Is also black...Its a 36' and the Truck Is black...Its hard to keep the water spots of It before race days...But you will love the enclosed. The Meet Is on May 10th...every one bring your power broom...LOL...I had lots of stones on the grass this year...I will finish cleaning the remainder off today

Have a great day

Daner

Lynden-Jeff
04-13-2008, 06:26 PM
We are just starting this weekend, the escarpment still had snow up until now. Should be done by the end of next week. When was the meet changed to may 10th????? I thought it was may 3rd, and done see nothing in the plow site???

Cheers

Daner
04-14-2008, 10:36 AM
We are just starting this weekend, the escarpment still had snow up until now. Should be done by the end of next week. When was the meet changed to may 10th????? I thought it was may 3rd, and done see nothing in the plow site???

Cheers

Your right May 3rd

applewoodacres
04-14-2008, 04:01 PM
I know there is a forum on this site that deals with starting up a business, but they are not specfic to Ontario. Since I found this thread, I'm hoping that you can help me with the procedure involved. I have done lawn maintenace, fertilizing, planting etc. for the past few years, but would like to register the business now. I obviously have to register the business name, but is a business permit/license necessary? Does PST or GST have to be collected or remitted and if so on what purchases or sales or services. Just a few of the questions I have. Any and all help and guidence would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PlatinumLandCon
04-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Since we're on the topic...

I only had personal coverage on my truck but somehow my insurance company found out and they canceled my policy "for underwriting purposes". The cancellation won't effect me negatively, but I do need new insurance. My question is, will it be possible to get commercial auto coverage even though I'm only 17? Thanks guys.

Lynden-Jeff
04-14-2008, 06:37 PM
I know there is a forum on this site that deals with starting up a business, but they are not specfic to Ontario. Since I found this thread, I'm hoping that you can help me with the procedure involved. I have done lawn maintenace, fertilizing, planting etc. for the past few years, but would like to register the business now. I obviously have to register the business name, but is a business permit/license necessary? Does PST or GST have to be collected or remitted and if so on what purchases or sales or services. Just a few of the questions I have. Any and all help and guidence would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

No permits or licenses unless you are appling fertilizers, I do recommend business insurance though. Only GST on services needs to be collected, and pst on and goods sold however I dont usually mess with the PST and just include the materials in the cost of the job.

Since we're on the topic...

I only had personal coverage on my truck but somehow my insurance company found out and they canceled my policy "for underwriting purposes". The cancellation won't effect me negatively, but I do need new insurance. My question is, will it be possible to get commercial auto coverage even though I'm only 17? Thanks guys.

I am not sure however try this company:
http://www.sinclaircockburn.com/group/contact/1.asp

They do all the landscape insurance for landscape ontario so they know what they are talking about. How on earth did ur company find out though?

Cheers

applewoodacres
04-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi,

No permits or licenses unless you are appling fertilizers, I do recommend business insurance though. Only GST on services needs to be collected, and pst on and goods sold however I dont usually mess with the PST and just include the materials in the cost of the job.

I've been told that GST doesn't have to be collected or remitted, unless you are making less than 30,000, is this the case? Just starting small, so we don't expect too much just yet.
So basically, it's register the business name look into insurance and we're good to go?

Thanks again

Lynden-Jeff
04-14-2008, 09:22 PM
If you are making under 30,000 you dont need to collect however some people will look at it as unprofessional so beware!

Cheers

Lynden-Jeff
04-14-2008, 09:41 PM
So how are the calls coming in for you guys? Really just starting to crank up now for the lawn care, cleanups are booking up fast! Got more flyers going out this week.

DeVries
04-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Looks like I might have to get a fourth guy on the maintenance crew. I had a customer buy a second house the thing has a lot of ground and picked up a couple of larger sites on top of what I had last year.
Construction is booking up fast as well. Looks like a busy summer. I guess the economy is still rollin.

Triple L
04-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Looks like it... Man, this time of year is busy busy busy! Got a whopping 9 hours on my new walker now... hahaha. And that was just 2 days of use... This ones gonna have some mega hours on er real quick

DeVries
04-17-2008, 07:26 AM
It's good to see this thread is slow. I guess you guy's are all busy. Thats good means the economy is still rolling along.

Has anyone heard a weather prediction for this season?. Was starting to wonder because it's been a week now with no rain and it's starting to dry up quick. Also with temps as warm as they are the grass will need to be cut sooner than normal.

martyman
04-17-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm in Markham Ontario...use the local paper and flyers...so far this year its very slow for new customers. I've been an one man operation for 10 years :canadaflag:

Amy
04-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Hello everyone, Just wanted to say hi.. I'm new to this forum so I hope to have lots of chats... We still have a lil snow left here. just getting the equipment out and ready to go..:P I haven't gotten any seriouse calls yet for lawn care but lots for garbage removal. Put the plows away a couple weeks ago now, never thought we would see more snow.. Well i'll update my info later but it's actually nice out so i'll go do my own yard work for now.. lata

Amy
04-17-2008, 04:18 PM
WOW!!! I just noticed prices of diesel is redddicuuulouse... nuts it's now
$1.29/L.. and gas is at $1.15/L.. Maybe someone can confirme some info for me. I heard that u can use stove oil or furnace oil in diesel trucks????? true?? will it harm the truck in any way.. any info would be sweet!! Thanks... lata

Triple L
04-17-2008, 06:29 PM
ya my buddy runs furnace oil in his trucks all the time, even still, that is probally just as much as diesel :cry:

Amy
04-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks, I have an oil furnace and i'm locked in at a set *cheap* rate. so i'll just get it from my tank. It's way better then paying what the gas stations want.. lata

cantoo
04-17-2008, 09:22 PM
We're busy as heck. Lots of rolling, gravel sweeping, fertilizing and cleanups. We use the Walker and tine dethatcher for packed lawns. The Steiners get used for fertilizing, lawn rolling, driveway leveling and the straight broom for parking lots. The JD has the rotary sweeper on the front for gravel on lawns and parking lots. Also cut some trees down in our spare time.
The phone is ringing pretty steady, mostly our regular customers but a few more new ones for sweeping. Had a couple calls for pricing on grass cutting. We don't do any active advertising though so these are all referrals or people who see us working and come over for pricing.
Amy, we have gas and diesel trucks so we use whatever we want. My wife filled the gas pickup today $100 on the nose and it wasn't empty. Makes you watch where and when you drive. We sure don't jump to go do an estimate, we tell them we will take a look and call them in a few days. We try to haul everything we can so we can do the complete job when we stop.

Lynden-Jeff
04-17-2008, 09:47 PM
WOW!!! I just noticed prices of diesel is redddicuuulouse... nuts it's now
$1.29/L.. and gas is at $1.15/L.. Maybe someone can confirme some info for me. I heard that u can use stove oil or furnace oil in diesel trucks????? true?? will it harm the truck in any way.. any info would be sweet!! Thanks... lata

Dont remind me, my trucks a beast with the enclosed!!!!!!!!

I'm in Markham Ontario...use the local paper and flyers...so far this year its very slow for new customers. I've been an one man operation for 10 years :canadaflag:

I agree, its been slow on the calls, I dont think people have woken up from winter. Hopefully it will start to pour in!!!!!!

Lynden-Jeff
04-17-2008, 10:40 PM
9:30 and some widget is calling me. Maybe their grass needs an emergency cutting!!!!

Triple L
04-18-2008, 07:25 AM
hahahahaha, now theres a customer you dont need.... calling at that time, can you imagine what there gonna be doing once they've known you for a year or two...forget about them

ff1221
04-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Things seem to be chugging along here alright, hoping to finish up our first construction job today, just a small deck and walkway, but we are booking into August, just hope it keeps rolling.

Lynden-Jeff
04-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Yep we are going good too, about 5 calls for lawncare, a walk up thatch job and lots on the docket. Had the first run in with a lowballer too. My price was 2X what his was, and it was still a deal on the guys yard, beds everywhere and tons of edging/upsidedown trimming. No way I could do that for that this guy wanted, atleast not to leave it the way it should be.

Cheers
Jeff

ff1221
04-18-2008, 09:19 PM
No worries Jeff, that guy will be phoning you about mid june wondering if you can take over cause the other guy does a poor job or quit showing up, to bad the prices jump 50% after June 1st.

cantoo
04-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Lots of new ads in our local papers from new guys. I can't believe the number of trailers and equipment I have been meeting on the roads and working in yards this year. Wonder how many are insured? I did see a guy pulled over by the MTO on Tuesday, old truck, old trailer with rider, push mower and hand held stuff on it. Guy didn't look too happy and the officer was writing out a ticket. Not sure what he was doing with the push mower on the trailer though. The lawns are drying quick and some are greening up already. My wife cut one today, south facing hillside property always the first cut of the year.

Triple L
04-18-2008, 10:55 PM
yupper, we did our first cut today also... Hope she settles down a bit, I wasnt to excited to be mowing already, havent even started clean-ups on the resis yet... Got the commercials done tho, thats all that matters (to me)... Newspapers seem to be workin real good for my buddy Ground Works up in brantford, some of you guys probally have seen his ad... He Got 6 calls in just 6 hours thursday alone (dont know how many he got after 3 p.m.)... Not to bad... Probally gonna be rockin calls allday tomarrow to

bgjj
04-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Thanks, I have an oil furnace and i'm locked in at a set *cheap* rate. so i'll just get it from my tank. It's way better then paying what the gas stations want.. lata

Be careful you do not want to get caught with it in your tank, major fines, can't recall how much but remember from a guy that got nab, huge dollars thousands if I recall, fine is base on odometer in vehicle as if you used furnace oil for the life of vehicle not just that tank

Lynden-Jeff
04-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Yep phone was rockin this morning. I think next week will be nuts, will be finished cleanups by the end of next weeek. Woot. Things are goin good!

PlatinumLandCon
04-19-2008, 10:06 PM
I've got a customer that started out as just regular lawn care at his house but now I'm doing a full walkway+driveway for him and the neighbour, then driveway+walkway+patio+retaining wall+deck for the guy across the street. WOW! lol

Triple L
04-20-2008, 11:22 AM
nice nice... Almost the same deal with me, gotta go quote out 2 landscape jobs and 2 maintenance jobs today.... and supposibly study for exams next week and supposibly do a landscape drawing project for school...hahaha, I doubt the last 2 will get done :dizzy:

Lynden-Jeff
04-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Are you going to the may 3rd meet Trple L?

PlatinumLandCon
04-20-2008, 05:16 PM
nice nice... Almost the same deal with me, gotta go quote out 2 landscape jobs and 2 maintenance jobs today.... and supposibly study for exams next week and supposibly do a landscape drawing project for school...hahaha, I doubt the last 2 will get done :dizzy:

Haha sweet! Where do you go to school? You're in a landscape program I assume?

Triple L
04-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Are you going to the may 3rd meet Trple L?

U betcha buddy! someone please remind me.... I forget to easily :hammerhead: I'am actually just finishing my Certified Landscape Technican program at Niagara College, 2 year program... teaches you everything from trees, to turf, to greenhouse production to landscape design... overall good program but not super specific on anything, gets you a very good understanding of everything which is also very nice to know instead of only 1 thing like just tree's or what not... Lookin forward to meeting all you guys again at the second meet... Peace out boys, back to quoting and this stupid a** hand drawing for school... Dynascape is much preferred :drinkup:

Lynden-Jeff
04-20-2008, 09:42 PM
U betcha buddy! someone please remind me.... I forget to easily :hammerhead: I'am actually just finishing my Certified Landscape Technican program at Niagara College, 2 year program... teaches you everything from trees, to turf, to greenhouse production to landscape design... overall good program but not super specific on anything, gets you a very good understanding of everything which is also very nice to know instead of only 1 thing like just tree's or what not... Lookin forward to meeting all you guys again at the second meet... Peace out boys, back to quoting and this stupid a** hand drawing for school... Dynascape is much preferred :drinkup:

Ah thats what the program is, I thought you were taking a CHT lol.

Cheers

Triple L
04-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Boys must be busy, no ones been on here for a while...Got 1 more exam left after today! Packin up my crap, sooo glad to get out of here... Gonna be no holidays for me, starting some nice mulch jobs tomarrow afternoon and then saturday.... O well, guess you cant knock the hustle :drinkup:

Amy
04-24-2008, 01:07 PM
HUH!! what's this about a meet????? :P

Triple L
04-24-2008, 10:27 PM
All the boys from plowsite are gettin together at Daners farm over in guelph, last meet was at boston pizza down in burlington...have a few pizza's, shoot the ****, learn alot of good info and ofcourse good times :drinkup:

Daner
04-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Plow guys check plow site for updates:weightlifter:

Daner:hammerhead:

DeVries
04-25-2008, 10:35 PM
I will keep my eyes peel at the plowsite Daner. If the wedding thing is over early I plan on coming with the wife.

Daner
04-26-2008, 09:06 AM
I will keep my eyes peel at the plowsite Daner. If the wedding thing is over early I plan on coming with the wife.

Ok sounds good

Lynden-Jeff
04-26-2008, 11:41 AM
For some reason the calls have dropped off a little over the last day or two. Maybe time to ramp up the flyers again, since grass is just starting to grow, all those last minute shoppers will be out in force.

DeVries
04-28-2008, 06:45 AM
Congrats on the LO membership there Jeff. Saw that you got excepted it the last hort review.
Its a great orginization, make use of the classes and the discounts that they offer. It's also a great networking tool.

Lynden-Jeff
04-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Congrats on the LO membership there Jeff. Saw that you got excepted it the last hort review.
Its a great orginization, make use of the classes and the discounts that they offer. It's also a great networking tool.

Hey,

Thanks. Im actually on the board of directors for the golden horseshoe chapter for the 08/09 season. So far im enjoying it, you will have to come out to our golf tourney! Will you be coming to the get together this weekend at Daners?

Cheers
Jeff

PlatinumLandCon
04-28-2008, 07:12 PM
High school, multiple 5-figure hardscape jobs, and chicks don't mix or get along well LOL. This year is going to be awesome!

Lynden-Jeff
04-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Well the last two do. Just hire the babes! Thats what I did lol.

DeVries
04-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Hey,

Thanks. Im actually on the board of directors for the golden horseshoe chapter for the 08/09 season. So far im enjoying it, you will have to come out to our golf tourney! Will you be coming to the get together this weekend at Daners?

Cheers
Jeff

Holy smokes jump in with both feet why not. I would love to go to more meetings but I never seem to have enough time. As for golf that sounds gr8. I will keep an eye out for the fax to come thru the machine.
I hope to be at the get together. One of my guy's is getting married in Orangeville so thats not to far away. If there is time I will stop in for the meet and greet.

GrasMstr
04-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Started cutting last Wednesday. If it ever stops raining I won't ever get back home. Up about 35% over last year already.
Dan

Lynden-Jeff
04-28-2008, 11:14 PM
lol, you are one of those guys already cutting. We wont be cutting until next week.

GrasMstr
04-28-2008, 11:17 PM
yah, about 6 properties that get the fert just pounded on 'em.

PlatinumLandCon
04-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Well the last two do. Just hire the babes! Thats what I did lol.

LOL what a plan! I have respect for the people that have been doing this for a while... its takes a TON of planning!

Triple L
04-29-2008, 10:42 AM
u betcha buddy, u betcha... Now if I could just get my skid of fertilizer thats been on order for the past 3 weeks... It'll be summer before I get this stuff down, stupid a** supplier. Last time I order from these guys... U guys got all your fert down yet?

applewoodacres
04-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Is the cost of general liablity insurance better at one company than another? What can I expect to pay for insurance?

Daner
04-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Plow Guys the meet has been Postponed due to weather (rain) to May 10th(Sat.) at 2 pm:waving:

Daner

Triple L
04-30-2008, 06:41 PM
kinda knew that one would happen hay, it'll fursure be raining next saturday and the saturday after that one too :dizzy: sounds good, thanks for the update

Lynden-Jeff
04-30-2008, 07:12 PM
If its not snow, its rain :@!!!!!!!

Daner
04-30-2008, 07:14 PM
kinda knew that one would happen hay, it'll fursure be raining next saturday and the saturday after that one too :dizzy: sounds good, thanks for the update

It kinda reminds me of the winter meet...with the snow storms LOL
Did you get your fert. and what brand and NPK did you order?

I just finnished makeing a front mount dethatcher for my 60" exmark...she passed the test run and now ITs ready for paint:)

D:weightlifter:

Lynden-Jeff
04-30-2008, 07:25 PM

I just finnished makeing a front mount dethatcher for my 60" exmark...she passed the test run and now ITs ready for paint:)

Wanna help me make one for my 52!!! I have large amounts of beer :clapping: lol

Cheers
Jeff

applewoodacres
04-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Guess I was mistaken, thought those in the know would be willing to share.

Triple L
04-30-2008, 11:11 PM
it all goes on how much money you make, do u wanna share that with us? If you make $30-35000 u can expect to be paying at least $90 / month, and it goes up from there... phone around bud, I welcome you to this site seeing that your a fairly new member, only 4 posts and have been in business for 0 years as your public profile says. but some stuff you just gotta find out yourself...... how much should I expect to be paying for insurance on my truck? thats pretty vage, there are alot of vairables... vary similar to the question you asked... you can learn alot of stuff here on lawn n' plowsite and the group of ontario landscapers we got going here are simply awsome people....

Triple L
04-30-2008, 11:17 PM

Ya just got a skid yesterday, the bag is sayin nutrite, apparantly its from up in montreal or somewhere up in quebec... I thought the boys over in delhi would mix up a batch but this is special stuff... 18-2-12 with 70% slow release coated nitrogen. Last year I was rockin 100% organic with 2% iron which was just bitchin but with how the price of fert. just skyrocketed this year holy!!!!! I had to back down to the premium grade stuff instead of the bentley stuff, I knew the customers would freak when they seen thier fert bill with that stuff

cantoo
05-01-2008, 12:11 AM
We got our fert done already 1 1/2 skids but we only have a few customers. I send fussy customers to the Weedman. Looks like spraying will be starting real soon the pretty yellow flowers are coming up quick. Anybody wondering what's going to happen next year with the new law? Cosmetic purposes, I spray weeds for ecomomical reasons,, my wallet. Actually we sell customers on spraying to save them a few cuts each year. When it's dry the only thing that needs to be cut is the weeds, if we spray they can skip a couple of cuts. The grass doesn't look as bad when it's longer either. We lost a couple of lawns and picked up a couple so we're holdong our own. My cube van didn't pass the yearly inspection, rusty frame so off the road it goes. I have the Ford handicap as backup so now I have to get a door and ramps on it quick.

Daner, I might be able to make the 10th. We're at 2 auction sales on the 3rd. PM me your addy and maybe we'll bike down/over. My wife's sister lives in Maryhill so she might be keen.

applewoodacres
05-01-2008, 10:05 AM
it all goes on how much money you make, do u wanna share that with us? If you make $30-35000 u can expect to be paying at least $90 / month, and it goes up from there... phone around bud, I welcome you to this site seeing that your a fairly new member, only 4 posts and have been in business for 0 years as your public profile says. but some stuff you just gotta find out yourself...... how much should I expect to be paying for insurance on my truck? thats pretty vage, there are alot of vairables... vary similar to the question you asked... you can learn alot of stuff here on lawn n' plowsite and the group of ontario landscapers we got going here are simply awsome people....

I have no problem sharing. New around here, yes, but I've have been doing this part-time for several years but am now doing it full time. I never really thought about insurance although I admit I should have. I don't do plowing at the present time, so we're talking only about lawn maintenance. I fully intend to check around and do my own leg work. but I'm a big fan of forums such as this. My experience has shown me that those with a wealth of knowledge in their field, are eager to help out those without and where questions with the most obvious answers can be asked. Thanks for your response.

Daner
05-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Wanna help me make one for my 52!!! I have large amounts of beer :clapping: lol

Cheers
Jeff

Yaa better check It out first Jeffy:)...I'm just learning to weld...I hope It dont fall apart

Cantoo...Message sent to yaa

Lynden-Jeff
05-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Yaa better check It out first Jeffy:)...I'm just learning to weld...I hope It dont fall apart

Cantoo...Message sent to yaa

Just learning to weld :hammerhead: lol. Didn't you have a welding shop for 25 years! looking forward to checkin it out next weekend.

Lynden-Jeff
05-01-2008, 10:24 PM

Yea BEFORE I started plowing it was about $90 for around 50,000 income. Now its about $290 for snow plowing lol.

Cheers
Jeff

cantoo
05-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Daner, got the message thanks. My uncle lives right around the corner from you. I've never been there yet either. Wife informs me we are having a firewood cutting bee at my father in laws that day as well as my Dad's 75 birthday. I'm trying to do my share of the cutting beforehand so I can make the meet. If it's like anything else we do I end up doing the work while they watch and drink.
We lost one lawn today and gained two others so the dollars stay about the same. The one we lost was abit of a drive anyway and the other two are close to some we already have.

DeVries
05-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Some fert. Warm rain like we had today, and boom the grass will just fly out of the ground.
We spot cut last week, but I'm sure it will be a full cut this coming week.

Anyone heard predictions for the type of summer that we are gonna have? Is it dry, wet, normal, (whatever normal is).

ff1221
05-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Some fert. Warm rain like we had today, and boom the grass will just fly out of the ground.
We spot cut last week, but I'm sure it will be a full cut this coming week.

Anyone heard predictions for the type of summer that we are gonna have? Is it dry, wet, normal, (whatever normal is).

The almanac is predicting an average summer with a few warm days and average rainfall, but they called for rain all through April, and it never came so it's anyone's guess.

Cantoo, met you on the Highway last night at Kingsbridge, I see you and the wife are at the grass, my guys start today, and hopefully all goes well.

cantoo
05-06-2008, 10:11 PM
ff1221, small world eh? I think I met one of your trucks at the Timbr mart corner in Kincardine this afternoon. Your's is more yellow than mine I think. It was actually my wife and daughter that you met at Kingsbridge. I think she had our orange Chev the 20' trailer with the 2 Bobcats on it. They were cutting some bigger properties down that way. Her Dad lives just south of there a couple of miles, not sure if you know the place but it's a big brown brick house and used to be surrounded with apple orchards. We used to sell asparagus and other crops. She cuts Thompson's elevator's and a few others.
Tomorrow I'm digging a house north of Tiverton near the hydro towers and the new windmills. Jackson is doing the digging I haven't worked with them for quite a few years so we'll see how it goes.

ff1221
05-06-2008, 10:34 PM
ff1221, small world eh? I think I met one of your trucks at the Timbr mart corner in Kincardine this afternoon. Your's is more yellow than mine I think. It was actually my wife and daughter that you met at Kingsbridge. I think she had our orange Chev the 20' trailer with the 2 Bobcats on it. They were cutting some bigger properties down that way. Her Dad lives just south of there a couple of miles, not sure if you know the place but it's a big brown brick house and used to be surrounded with apple orchards. We used to sell asparagus and other crops. She cuts Thompson's elevator's and a few others.
Tomorrow I'm digging a house north of Tiverton near the hydro towers and the new windmills. Jackson is doing the digging I haven't worked with them for quite a few years so we'll see how it goes.

I just sold one of my trucks to the local Home Hardware last week, might have been that one, if it had a yellow dump insert. It was the Orange chevy that I met, we were coming back from Tillsonburg, picked up a new dump insert from a company down there. I know the place where your wifes dad lives, we are usually to Goderich once or twice a month. Good luck with the dig tomorrow, Gary Jackson is a pretty good operator, we had him out to a house fire and a barn fire to tear some stuff apart for us, hopefully you'll get him. Here's some pics of the new dump insert.

cantoo
05-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Nice looking insert. I have a guy who owns a shop and is looking into selling inserts. Who did you get your's from?
Not sure but I thought the insert on the truck I saw was black, it was around 4:30 or so. I may have been driving a little fast and never noticed until the last second.
Gary supposed to be running the hoe tomorrow.

ff1221
05-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Ya that was me, I was getting a load of mulch from the Hardware store, they sell in bulk. I got my insert from Voth welding near Tillsonburg, there is also another guy down that way that makes them, Berkelman's welding. A buddy of mine went with me, he has a heavy truck shop here in town, and is going to try selling the boxes they make for 1 ton chassis. He sells Beau Roc dump boxes but their smaller stuff is to expensive, this guy was quite reasonable. My box was about $500 less than a DEL, and the quality was better than the DEL I just sold.

Daner
05-09-2008, 03:39 PM
The meet Is a go for tomorrow...anytime after 2pm guys :weightlifter:

Any one who dosent have directions pm me...I will check back later

Daner

Triple L
05-09-2008, 10:06 PM
good good, i'll try to be there around 4 or so, got some trees to take down and 7 yards of topsoil to put in the beds, busy busy day...

Daner
05-10-2008, 09:50 AM
good good, i'll try to be there around 4 or so, got some trees to take down and 7 yards of topsoil to put in the beds, busy busy day...

Ok...hope to see ya then

D

Daner
05-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Any other local landscrapers who want to drop by, send me a pm for directions
Cold Drinks:drinkup: pizza later on:weightlifter:

Daner

Lynden-Jeff
05-11-2008, 01:24 AM
Sorry guys could not make it out. Had two cleanups go until 6 pm and to top it off had to help my friend finish the roof on our house before the rain tomorow. Hopefully we will have another soon!!!

Cheers

Triple L
05-11-2008, 12:25 PM
ya me to, what a piss off yesterday was, I was sooo pumped for this meet myself, but then we ended up getting cot up on this stupid bed job that we only got 85% done anyways, couldnt have that soil sitting there in the parking lot with this rain were supposted to be getting as for its a high end commercial... Hows did it go anyways?

flairland
05-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Hey guys,

I'm from the London area.. just came across this thread today! Would have liked to come out to the meet. Anyways, I'll stay posted to this thread a bit more and hopefully meet some landscapers from the area!

Dave

Lynden-Jeff
05-12-2008, 12:35 AM
I may be having a little may 24 shindig, nothing major just a few beers around the fire, anyone near by is welcome to come by. Will post up more info, Daner and Triple L def should drop in! How did the meet go anyways Daner?

Cheers

Daner
05-12-2008, 10:50 AM
I may be having a little may 24 shindig, nothing major just a few beers around the fire, anyone near by is welcome to come by. Will post up more info, Daner and Triple L def should drop in! How did the meet go anyways Daner?

Cheers

Went great...skid steer bucket full of Ice and beeeeeeer:weightlifter:
back pack blowing contest.My 22 yr old daughter showed up with her girl friends for a while. Its was good and my shop Is still super clean...Ihope I can keep It that way.

I'm off to do some backhoe work ,hope ItS not too muddy after all the rain...and the grass Is growing like crazy...busy week :weightlifter:

D

Triple L
05-12-2008, 11:19 AM
cool cool :drinkup:

Lynden-Jeff
05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Went great...skid steer bucket full of Ice and beeeeeeer:weightlifter:
back pack blowing contest.My 22 yr old daughter showed up with her girl friends for a while. Its was good and my shop Is still super clean...Ihope I can keep It that way.

I'm off to do some backhoe work ,hope ItS not too muddy after all the rain...and the grass Is growing like crazy...busy week :weightlifter:

D

Damit, you make me really regret not coming! Stupid workaholizem. Whens the next one?

PlatinumLandCon
05-16-2008, 11:18 PM
A friend of a friend in upstate NY found a killer deal on a Dingo 525 for me but I'm not sure about importing procedures. Does anyone have an idea what I should do when importing this thing? Do I just have to pay GST on the purchase price before entering? Thanks!

Triple L
05-16-2008, 11:30 PM
A friend of a friend in upstate NY found a killer deal on a Dingo 525 for me but I'm not sure about importing procedures. Does anyone have an idea what I should do when importing this thing? Do I just have to pay GST on the purchase price before entering? Thanks!

Defentially talk to customs before you bring it back, when I brought my dump insert back I didnt say anything until i got there, Man were they ever pissed beyond being pissed. I defentially will not do that again, hay whats the word bud? I've been sittin here waiting all week

Triple L
05-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Wow! its sure been quiet on here.... whats shakin with everyone? this month is ******ed, got pelted by hail on monday, freezing cold for the past 2 weeks... hows everyone been doin?

cantoo
05-21-2008, 07:48 PM
I actually had to help my wife cut grass last week. I had to drive our JD 915 which I hate for cutting grass. Did 4 properties one of which only gets cut 4 times per year so it was nice and high. The others were bumpy as heck, used to get rolled but not anymore, too cheap so we bounce around all summer. Got quite abit of spraying done already between rain and windy days. Got a charging problem on one of the Bobcats that our mechanic can't seem to fix yet. My wife changed blades on one Bobcat yesterday and today changed the oil by herself. I think she's trying to phase me out of the operation. That or she's tired of waiting for me to do it. I cut a pile of logs into blocks ready for splitting, one more pile to go, 4 or 5 cords. The new saw is working great too bad my back isn't. Gotta train my wife to run the big saw. Our lawns look real good so far anyway. We have a few customers asking what is going to happen next year if the ban goes province wide. I tell them to look around at lawns that aren't sprayed and that is what will happen to theirs in a few short years. I have no intention of going organic so I suggest they start looking for someone who is. Gonna be interesting. We've always tried to use as little spray as possible to get reasonable control and not total elimination. If a customer asks that every weed be eliminated and keep spraying until it is we suggest they find someone else to do it. I think the next step should be to restrict home owner use of pesticides for a couple of years until a better control method becomes available. I can't count the number of people who tell me they gave the lawn a "good dose" of spray or fertilizer. You know the old " more has to be better" story. Anyway what do you Ontario guys think lawns are going to look like in a couple of years? Not many peple are willing to spend the time or money for organics.

ff1221
05-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Man, my lawn is totally organic, my dandelions are beautiful right now and the leaves stay green all summer, even in the worst drought, got a great section of yarrow, but it never gets to bloom, wife keeps cutting down, and the low spots I filled a few years back are covered in tulips. Not a big fan of pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers, don't even like cutting it. Hey, Cantoo, are you guys near Amberly, I got the MTO contract, and was wondering if your wife would be interestd in cutting the two islands there, and what she would charge. PM me.

Mike

DeVries
05-22-2008, 09:32 PM
we've been pretty busy around here. The weather is still kinda cool which is keeping the grass from growing like crazy.
Got another crew going this year and I am really impressed with the foreman, he is doing a great job. Makes my life a lot easier that's for sure. I hate it when you need to baby sit, drives me nuts:hammerhead:

Lynden-Jeff
05-23-2008, 09:12 PM
lol yea busy here. I think I hired one of your former guys devries. Does a pond ditched husky ring a bell? lol

DeVries
05-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Oh ya the husky in the pond with just the seat exposed:hammerhead: I remember that well. If I can find the pic I will post for you. Good luck with him. He's not a bad guy. Say hi to him for me.

Daner
05-24-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm still alive and kicken...busy like the rest of yaaall ...Its been a good year so far

Daner

Lynden-Jeff
05-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Yep been a good year for me too, still adding maint accounts. Are you going to the snow expo Daner?

Pic would be great lol. he has worked out real good so far, ive known him for along time since he worked for Bosma.

Triple L
05-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Jeff, Im going to the SIMA show in buffalo there, looks like it should be good, are you going? I need 2 new plows this year :dizzy: there goes all the :drinkup: money

DeVries
05-26-2008, 07:19 AM
Yep been a good year for me too, still adding maint accounts. Are you going to the snow expo Daner?

Pic would be great lol. he has worked out real good so far, ive known him for along time since he worked for Bosma.

Sorry Jeff, I took the picture on a cell phone and I don't have it any more. That machine ended up in a pond because of sheer laziness. The slope was way to steep for a ride on should have been cut with a walk behind.

Have you worked for Tom in the past as well?

Daner
05-27-2008, 09:01 AM

No I'm not going this year...I have 2 plows for sale...the western V and 1 Plowpartner...down grading and stepping Into new adventures:weightlifter:

Daner

ff1221
05-27-2008, 01:31 PM
No I'm not going this year...I have 2 plows for sale...the western V and 1 Plowpartner...down grading and stepping Into new adventures:weightlifter:

Daner

Daner, I'm interested in that plow partner, PM me and let's talk.

Mike

Triple L
05-27-2008, 10:36 PM
whats the downlow on the western V... I was actually leaning towards a new MVP i think for my truck

DeVries
05-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Looks like you may get a good price for that plow partner there Daner. I to am interested in buying one. Can you also dend me some details?

DeVries
05-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Is anybody else noticing that their sites without irrigation are starting to dry up?. Does this mean a dry summer again or what?
Was doing some excavating for a pond today and the ground is very dry here. Are we the only ones not getting rain or do you guy's notice the same thing?

Lynden-Jeff
05-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Sorry Jeff, I took the picture on a cell phone and I don't have it any more. That machine ended up in a pond because of sheer laziness. The slope was way to steep for a ride on should have been cut with a walk behind.

Have you worked for Tom in the past as well?

Nope, never worked for anyone else but my self.

Yes should be going to the snow show with a few friends. Hopefully see you there Triple L. What day you goin down?

Triple L
05-28-2008, 11:46 PM
the clay was hard as rock today.. holy had to use a pick axe for almost everything, didnt save any time or muscle there... I agree with u

PlatinumLandCon
05-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Clay was brutal for me too. Wall base trench was dug by hand with a pick. Hopefully we can have a clear weekend, looks bad though.

cantoo
05-29-2008, 10:14 PM
We installed a new lawn the first of the week and everything is really dry. Gonna take awhile for the grass to come up. We're raising the cutting height already, okay not we, my wife is raising the height. We don't want rain this weekend but we do need it bad. Might have another quick lawn install to do and not much time to do it so rain at night wouldn't be too bad. A commercial customer called us yesterday and is having an Open House for their new building on June 21st and they want grass for it. No, they don't want to pay for sod. Would have been nice to have more time.

DeVries
06-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Any of you guy's going to the L.O golf tournement? It's the first year that I book holidays in the summer and it ends up being the week of the golf day. The course that its at this year is one of the nicest I've been on in a while.

cantoo
06-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Not a golfer so no go for us.
We did the two lawn installs and last night got 4" of rain. The grass was just starting to come up, going back tomorrow morning and reseeding them both. We needed the rain just not that much. I was pumping water out of a basement for 9 hours today and have to go back tomorrow and likely pump another 5 hours. Darn rain.

DeVries
06-11-2008, 10:54 AM
This might be wrong place to post this, but I'm looking for a 72" finishing mower for a skid steer made by bobcat. I would rather buy used. Does anyone have one they want to get rid of or know anyone that has one they want to get rid of? If you do send me a PM and we can do business:)

Triple L
06-11-2008, 11:52 PM
hay guys, how have you all been? wicked busy i bet, same as me, going crazy!!!
anyways I thought I would post this, I got a truck for sale, wicked nice truck actually, The only reason im sellin it is because it cant tow what I need it to, can put 4-5000 lbs in the box and fly around town no problem whats o over, but for somereason, when ford designed this truck, its just wasnt meant to tow heavy weight, pullin a landscape trailer with a few Z's would be no problem but 15K dump trailer is a whole nother story. Price is $7500 with plow now, if anyones interested give me a shout asap.

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-95-Ford-F-250-with-plow-W0QQAdIdZ54409560

truck is also in the trader

thanks alot

Triple L
06-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Off to the SIMA show down in Buffalo:usflag: anyone else going down?
Hope it willl be good, first time for me!

DeVries
06-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Wish I had the time.
Take the digital camera along and take pics of the new surprise that snowway has for us. Apparently there has been a ton of hype about it.

Enjoy the wings and beer, have a few for me:drinkup:

Daner
06-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Hey all just stopping In to say howdy to yaa all:cool2:...Been way to busy for me LOL...just like the winter we just had...was that fun or what...looks like you guys are having your fun as well....great to hear...I still have 2 plows to sell before the winter 1 Plow partner and the and 1 western V ...I'm just taking care of myself next winter...and plus I'm very busy with the welding these days...seems like my place may be In the shop here full time in the near future...the landscaping Is getting way too hard on my knees. Anyway the freeking grass Is growing like crazy this year...wow...I want to start mulching...but Its growing too fast...maybe next month I will put the mulching kit on the 60" lazer ...My 72" Kubota Is still purring like a kitten as well...great pasture machine. so are we ready for winter yet??????...Jus kiden:waving:...Stay cool yaa all

Daner

PlatinumLandCon
06-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Daner, I sent over a PM:waving:

Daner
06-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Hey were Is everyone...did yaaall become Plumbers??.

I thought this summer we were having a drought...not so far...I cant get my hay off the field...and the grass Is going nuts...and rain right through to the beginning of July...Stay kool yaa all:waving:

Daner

DeVries
06-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Hey good to see everyones still alive. Haven't been on here for a while, been on plowsite a couple of times checkin out the sexy new snowway revolution plow. From what I hear it was a huge hit at the show.
Hope everyones still kikin, we are just freekin crazy busy here now:dizzy: just the way we like it.

PlatinumLandCon
06-25-2008, 09:27 PM
This is a crazy year... hardscapes are behind because of rain, THEN I feel like I'm taking care of the grass customers every other day! Not enough hours of sunlight... stone from 8am-4, grass from 4-9pm....what a season this is turning out to be!

Triple L
06-25-2008, 11:04 PM
u betcha... man is that Snoway plow ever just bitchin! I've never been a snoway fan my whole life. when I seen that plow at the show I was a bit sketchy but after I scoped it out.. Man, im sold 100%... if your intrested in a new plow, defentially check this one out.

cantoo
06-25-2008, 11:22 PM
We're busy as heck too. The grass just won't seem to quit growing. I think we are finally caught up on spraying even alot was done late. We're still getting calls from perople wanting it done anyway. 2nd round of fert is done. Equipment is holding up alright, so far. Nothing much but blade and oil changes. Trying to build a dump trailer out of a tandam I bought last fall but can't seem to find time to get it done. Head gasket went on our old diesel chev dump truck but it was due to come off the road anyway so not a big deal. Kinnda looking for a replacement for backup but not too hard yet. 4 wheelers and street bike haven't been getting used much. I had a week off my day job but ending up working anyway. My son's 4 wheeler racing has been going good he got moved up to intermediate, bit of a wipeout last weekend was over $500 in repairs. Still placed 6th overall though. The shortbus had been working great even pulling the 16' trailer to Shannonville last weekend. Yup we need more to do.

Lynden-Jeff
06-28-2008, 01:15 AM
Already ordered my Snoway V with 9" wings. I think the REV is to much for my truck, not to mention more expensive then the V. LOL It looks kick ass.

Dynamic
07-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Nice to see a page on here for Ontarions. Man it has been a crazy year for grass. We just get ahead and it rains. Is every one else noticing an increasing in scab lawn cutters out there this year. Everywhere I go I see really old trucks pulling beat up trailers and pushmowers. Everyone says the scabs come and go but there always seems to be another scab picking up the leftovers. Also in this area(belleville) we have someone on the (kijiji) web site offering $15 lawn cuts. Its just got to make you shake your head sometimes.

PlatinumLandCon
07-03-2008, 11:49 PM
I've been keepin busy... lots of hardscapes. I was logically forced into hardscapes because I was sick of $15/cut guys.

Few pics of the most recent project: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=237262

Triple L
07-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Nice nice, im getting more into the landscape deal to. Not because of pricing like you, we still make nice money cuttin grass but it kinda gets boring after a while. I'll post some pics of this nice job were doing soon

Dynamic
07-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Really nice work. Very impressed. I thought of getting into hardscaping but to be quite honest I don't like running a shovel. I think as far as base, cuts, and layout, I would be fine but that dam shoveling kills me and I am only 30.

DAFFMOBILEWASH
07-14-2008, 12:57 AM
Danner, in fact I think I have become a plumber!! Have had to do to much R&D this summer to keep up with demand. Lets all hope this winter treats us as good as the last!!

DAFF

Lynden-Jeff
07-22-2008, 06:53 PM
So anyone coming out to the landscape Ontario golf tournement? Its selling out fast, tons of great prizes. Would love to see some of you guys out there. PM me and I can send ya some details.

Cheers

DeVries
07-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Won't be able to make the golf tourney, but I am fixin to be at the snow symposium at L.O in September. Hard to believe that the day's are counting down to snow season again.

Lynden-Jeff
07-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Their is a snow symposium with LO? I thought that was the buffalo sema show a month ago?

DeVries
07-25-2008, 07:28 AM
The last hort review had a small article with the date in it. I went to last years,it was informative. It seems to be in it's early stages, maybe as time goes on they will have it at a different location maybe something indoors.

Lynden-Jeff
07-25-2008, 08:39 PM
What do they do there? Im getting a new plow this year, a snoway mega blade. Havent decided on the box blade or the V, price will probably make my decision for me lol.

DeVries
07-25-2008, 10:58 PM
It's a full day of classes on how to be more efficient,effective and I guess most importantly profitable. There's also plows on display as well as salt metering systems, vehicle tracking and last year there were liquid applicators on display.

DeVries
08-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Hey it was good to finally put a face to a name today Jeff. Looks like you and crew do a nice job cutting lawns. Keep up the good work.
One of my subs is doing a job around the corner from that account I saw you at. The job started out as a $76,000 job and now we are up to a wopping $40,000 in extras. The money some people have is crazy.
Once we're done if you are interested I'll put a good work in for you. The property is about 2 acres. Not sure if you're in the neighbourhood there yet but it be a good one to be in.payup

PlatinumLandCon
10-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Gents, how's everything going? Everyone thinking about winter?

Triple L
10-08-2008, 04:50 PM
U betcha, its sure been cold enough lately!!! just waiting on 1 more customer to return his contract then I'v got a full pull this winter.... not accepting anymore... GIE show in 2 more weeks, Im pumped, who else is going?

Trevors Lawn Care
12-04-2008, 02:24 PM
I work for a large commercial real estate company and we need bids for a large property in Milton, ON. PM me if you are interested.

Trevor

jwalker17
12-27-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm new to the site and from Toronto!

6-7 years part-time experience looking to start off on my own this coming season in the GTA/Surrounding areas!

Good to see a site like this!

snowman 2008
12-29-2008, 09:19 PM
JWALKER17;
Thats funny .I know a guy K. Walker #11 The biggest Leaf fan.:canadaflag:

Best of luck in 09
Snow Man.

jwalker17
12-29-2008, 09:23 PM
haha thanks man (GO LEAFS GO!),

I am just starting to look at my advertising timeline/strategy. I know how much in need to make per month to break even. I am probably going to start residential even though I would rather not. Goal is to get townhouses/commercials! For annual contracts (maintenance, spring/fall clean, spring/fall planting, plow & salt).

What are you "involved with"?!

PlatinumLandCon
02-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Why not revive this.... with all that landscape talk on PS :D

shepoutside
02-23-2009, 10:31 PM
I'll second that !!! :canadaflag:

ff1221
02-24-2009, 04:38 PM
that's kinda what I was thinking.:waving:

jwalker17
02-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Are any of you loosing clients due to the economy? or are you getting more since companies are dropping clients/can't compete?

jwalker17
02-25-2009, 10:35 AM
also does anyone know where I can price out a good cut-off saw for patio paver work? I've always rented and don't want to rent anymore. Thanks!

ff1221
02-25-2009, 06:55 PM
also does anyone know where I can price out a good cut-off saw for patio paver work? I've always rented and don't want to rent anymore. Thanks!

Go to your local Stihl dealer, their saws are fairly competetive, and the new ones work pretty good, i've got a TS700, had it for two years, and never had any problems.

jwalker17
02-27-2009, 05:40 PM
thanks, It looks like a good saw, what did you pay (two years ago!)

thanks

ff1221
02-27-2009, 05:52 PM
I think it was $749 or $799, it was fairly reasonable. I would have preferred a Partner, but they are almost twice the price, and I couldn't justify the extra expense.

jwalker17
02-27-2009, 05:54 PM
thanks, thats actually a lot more reasonable than what i've seen from makita (about $850+ for a 12" gas).

thanks again, I really appreciate it!

PlatinumLandCon
02-27-2009, 06:05 PM
TS420 Stihl, new style filter, 14" blade. Around $1000. I'm going to pick one up this spring.

ff1221
02-28-2009, 01:35 PM
I've used the Makita, and found it wasn't as light or as smooth, JMO.

jwalker17
02-28-2009, 01:44 PM
yeah my experience is mainly with sthl anyway and now homehardware is selling makitas (12" for about $950 all in).

I think im going to get a sthl according to what you've all said. thanks!

Lynden-Jeff
02-28-2009, 02:38 PM
wowwee I never even remember starting this thread LOL. I guess im heads been in plowing.

Lynden-Jeff
02-28-2009, 02:40 PM
I have a 32" WB for sale if anyone has any interest!