PDA

View Full Version : Al Gore and the Internet

steveparrott
03-23-2008, 05:37 PM
At the risk of injecting politics where it doesn't belong, I wanted to set the record straight about Al Gore and the jibe that he created the Internet. Al has been maligned several times in these posts. The truth is that this forum may not have existed without Gore's work.

Gore never claimed that he invented the Internet (that was right wing spin). He claimed (correctly) that he took initiatives that led to the creation of the Internet. His "High Performance Computing Act" (supported by the first President Bush) funded the research that created the information super highway, the first web browser and the technology that enabled a worldwide Internet.

Without Gore's intiative to inject Federal dollars into this research, the Internet may have been developed piecemeal by corporations all seeking to make profits on the effort. The result would have likely been an Internet far more limiting and pay-per-view instead of the open and free system we know have.

For more on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Performance_Computing_and_Communication_Act_of_1991

Mike M
03-23-2008, 05:53 PM
"High Performance Computing Act"

Our wood shop teacher used to call the sawdust cleaning system a "High Performance Vacuum System." Every day he would throw his pencil on the ground and verbally reprimand my buddy for asking if he could turn on "the sucker."

mowing grass 1111
03-23-2008, 08:02 PM
i thought this was beat to death 4-5 years ago

pete scalia
03-23-2008, 08:20 PM
This post is off topic and should be deleted.
Too bad its hypocritical since the liberal agenda doesn't carry over to the manufacturing side though.
MDL makes a plus 15V transformer for the OP which is unnecessary and consumes more electricity than needed. What about the 25'' 16 gauge wire leads which cause more resistance and puts extra strain on the grid that the company promotes.

All this jibberish from Gore while he flies around on his private jet.
What about Tipper. She was partying a few yrs ago with the same music and entertainment crowd she was trying to sensor. (Remember the warning labels brought about by her)

jbailey52
03-23-2008, 09:33 PM
what the hell is this post about?

dwightschrute
03-23-2008, 11:31 PM
AL's Exact Words:

In the Late Edition interview, Blitzer asked Gore to explain what set him apart from Bill Bradley, his opponent for the Dem nomination. Somewhat clumsily, Gore offered a list of career accomplishments. One part of his answer drew more attention than any remark by any candidate in the entire 2000 campaign.

“During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet,” Gore said. “I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country’s economic growth, environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.”

Lite4
03-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Gores nothing but a fat pompous windbag. He is a Legend in his own mind.

NightScenes
03-24-2008, 07:38 AM
I'll be interested in this thread when Al Gore starts installing landscape lighting. Do you think he's looking for a job???

Mike M
03-24-2008, 07:43 AM
That's funny, Paul. I'm gonna google his contact and submit a proposal for LED's!!!

Eden Lights
03-24-2008, 07:48 AM
That's funny, Paul. I'm gonna google his contact and submit a proposal for LED's!!!

He already has a stack of them, many right from the manufacturer's.

Mike M
03-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Eddie, since he's in your territory, is his driveway lined in solar lights now?

irrig8r
03-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Wait, didn't he also invent LEDs?

JoeyD
03-24-2008, 11:20 AM
looks like I didnt miss much this weekend! LOL

Eden Lights
03-24-2008, 07:46 PM
He has a big ole fat OLP install with those big 35W tractor headlamps. :)