PDA

View Full Version : Probably a dumb question but hey im looking to learn so appease me!

bigw
03-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Is their a certain place that you guys like to start mowing from when you do a lawn or dont it matter? I mean like left of drive way? right of driveway?front left corner ? back right corner? I dont know you tell me!!...Dumb im sure but just asking!...thanks!!

JB1
03-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Is their a certain place that you guys like to start mowing from when you do a lawn or dont it matter? I mean like left of drive way? right of driveway?front left corner ? back right corner? I dont know you tell me!!...Dumb im sure but just asking!...thanks!!

depends on if the neighbor is laying out sunning herself.

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-23-2008, 08:23 PM
depends on if the neighbor is laying out sunning herself.

LOL....This usually leads to multiple passes in diffrent directions to create interesting lawn stripes

bigw
03-23-2008, 08:37 PM
How did i know this would be the type of answer id get...i guess it was a stupid question then after all..sorry but i dont know,i mean i thought maybe you guys had a certain place that you liked to start...:hammerhead:

jdmcat
03-23-2008, 08:39 PM
i start near the truck, mow to the back yard, and work my way back to the truck.

corey4671
03-23-2008, 08:44 PM
BigW...it really depends...I ahve several homes where there is no fence around the back yard that I can do this. Lets say there is a house with a driveway leading up to the house. If I am on the street looking at the home, I start on the right of the drive. I proceed to go along the right side of the home and make a left turn to go along the rear of the house. Left turn then along the left side of house. Left turn along front of house. back down the left side of drive. turn right at street. turn right again at boundary. keep turning right at the corners until I am back where I started. Then I begin my striping pattern either horizontal, vertical or diagonal and work my way out. This way you have a "turning around lane" at the end of each stripe and you have at least attempted to keep clippings off of the street, driveway, house and beds. Hope this made sense and was close to the advice you were looking for. No stupid questions..just smart@$$ answers.

bigw
03-23-2008, 08:53 PM
BigW...it really depends...I ahve several homes where there is no fence around the back yard that I can do this. Lets say there is a house with a driveway leading up to the house. If I am on the street looking at the home, I start on the right of the drive. I proceed to go along the right side of the home and make a left turn to go along the rear of the house. Left turn then along the left side of house. Left turn along front of house. back down the left side of drive. turn right at street. turn right again at boundary. keep turning right at the corners until I am back where I started. Then I begin my striping pattern either horizontal, vertical or diagonal and work my way out. This way you have a "turning around lane" at the end of each stripe and you have at least attempted to keep clippings off of the street, driveway, house and beds. Hope this made sense and was close to the advice you were looking for. No stupid questions..just smart@$$ answers.

Exactly the type of answer i was looking for...thanks alot buddy!

tamadrummer
03-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Personally I try to always start at the front right corner of every property so I don't miss anything. From edging to mowing and trimming and blowing always from right to left and then to the back.

That is how I handle the task to try not to forget doing something. I charge a bit more than other LCO's in the area and forgetting to do stuff is not good in my opinion.

Good luck dude I hope this helps you out.

There is no striping here so I cannot help with that. I do mow in a different pattern though so I don't rut it up.

bigw
03-23-2008, 09:01 PM

If you were going to stripe on a diagonal after doing this same yard would you start it at a corner of the front lower right side of drive ?

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-23-2008, 09:04 PM
How did i know this would be the type of answer id get...i guess it was a stupid question then after all..sorry but i dont know,i mean i thought maybe you guys had a certain place that you liked to start...:hammerhead:

BIG W ..It truly comes down to personal preference and how you mowed the yard the week before. We try to do a different pattern each week to avoid any chance of rutting...

bigw
03-23-2008, 09:10 PM
BIG W ..It truly comes down to personal preference and how you mowed the yard the week before. We try to do a different pattern each week to avoid any chance of rutting...

yes but you must remember one thing their buddy...their was no last week for me...lol im new remember!

Woody82986
03-23-2008, 09:13 PM
I can honestly say that in 7 plus years of doing this I have never really thought about where I start on a lawn or why I start where I start. I guess it has alot to do with where I am able to park in relation to the property. One thing I can say with certainty is that I have never started out in the middle of a lawn before.

kleankutslawn
03-23-2008, 09:20 PM
i try to start at the biggest section first

smcunningham
03-23-2008, 09:45 PM

ditto...........

topsites
03-23-2008, 09:52 PM
The spot closest to where the truck left me, that's where I start, yup, right there, good as anywhere.

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-23-2008, 10:01 PM
yes but you must remember one thing their buddy...their was no last week for me...lol im new remember!

Gotta start somewhere man ...LOL...Good luck this year.

nemow
03-23-2008, 10:21 PM
i start near the truck, mow to the back yard, and work my way back to the truck.

I agree, If we have two guys mowing and one is heading to the back or side they always mow out to where they are going. Pet peave of mine. If your walking over grass turn the blades on. May not seem like it saves time but a minute here and a minute there adds up after a season.

freshprince94
03-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Personally I try to always start at the front right corner of every property so I don't miss anything. From edging to mowing and trimming and blowing always from right to left and then to the back.

That is how I handle the task to try not to forget doing something. I charge a bit more than other LCO's in the area and forgetting to do stuff is not good in my opinion.

Good luck dude I hope this helps you out.

There is no striping here so I cannot help with that. I do mow in a different pattern though so I don't rut it up.

that's how i do it also. you should have no trouble making nice stripes with that exmark of yours.

nemow
03-23-2008, 10:38 PM
After a few weeks it will be second nature to you. Just always look for ways to speed up the process, not rush it just speed it up. If I am Mowing with another guy on say a large front lawn, I will have him Mow from the truck to the left around the perimeter. I will mow the first line down the center of the lawn(after the second week it is like paint by numbers, once you get your two different direction lines you just follow them) When he hits the end of my first line he can mow down it and work back to the outside of his side. I would either mow my perimiter after splitting the lawn and continue up the same line I started, working away from the center and to my perimeter. Or try to time it so I can split it and keep mowing and have my other guy finish and cut the other side of the perimeter. If you are mowing by yourself Dont be afraid to cut sections off while doing the perimeter. If you come to a small side yard cut it off and mow it them work to another section. Always at least one pass on the perimeter first. If you are not catching the grass plan your turns so you dont blast gardens with clippings. I dont know if any of this makes sense I have never tried to put it in writing. ( I know people are getting bashed for spelling on this board lately, deal with it thats what office 2007 is for)

All-Pro LawnCare
03-24-2008, 12:15 PM
It is very important to look at a lawn as if you were driving by or if it was your house pulling into the driveway. You want the best striping appearance possible.
I always make my first pass from the road in the middle of the lawn. Most people find it crazy to start there. But it helps keep your lines straighter and if you are running two mowers, both will finish along the bonder. When making my first line, look for something to focus on and drive straight to it. Ex: a door , window, or shrub in the beds. The first line is the most important. I make two border passes to make sure no clippings get in the beds and to help keep my lines from curving on the ends. This works for me.