PDA

View Full Version : shelves & storage

Mike M
03-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Anyone have plans/ideas for banging out some nice shelves for storage?

The pre-made garage systems are at a premium and built for switching things around. I'm just looking to make some nicely framed shelves or cabinets for my garage. Years ago I acquired a bunch of commercial metal shelving and I had the most awesome garage and basement storage.

I figure I can probably just do this based on framing some 2x4's and being creative with basic hardware.

If anyone has ideas or pics for a simple and practical shop/storage area, I'd appreciate it!!

Chris J
03-24-2008, 11:12 PM
I'd like to second Mike's request for this info. I've got to set up shop at a new residence because of a divorce, and I'd like to make the new place really nice. I want to get it right the first time, so if you guys would'nt mind posting some pics of your nice workshops it would be a big help. I've always been a bit on the lagging end of organization, so every little bit helps.
Thanks in advance!

klkanders
03-25-2008, 12:18 AM
This may only be a small piece of what you guys are looking for. Mike, I am not sure if you still have those metal shelves or if they are even what I am going to mention.
I purchased 3 boxes of shelving units a few years back from Home Depot. Yes some of the stuff they have is useful. Each box ( about $90 ) contained one decent 6' long 3 shelf unit. Each shelf can handle hundreds of pounds. I am sure you have all seen this type of unit since its made by many companies. What I like about them is they are easy to asemble or take apart. I love to grab a bunch of 2x4's, screws, plywood and build my own shelves as much as anyone but its not always the most economical unless you have a surplus of materials and time to construct them all.
I believe the best storage areas are ones that can be taken down and moved easily if needed. At your prime time of year set up all your shelves and workbenches when your inventory is at its highest then when stock dwindles take apart some shelf systems and give yourself more assembly room. Sorry if this info is too basic for some but hopefully some get something useful from it.

Keith

Pro-Scapes
03-25-2008, 05:18 AM
I was at sams the other day and they had a stainless rack with thoes plastic bin drawers in it for 100 bucks... I think it has 20 bins or so in it. REAL nice for organizing the smaller parts we all seem to accumulate mass amounts of.

I also built workbenches and shelves out of lumber and just covered em in plywood. Getting organized will save you alot of time and headaches. Just ask Mike G... his truck is a rolling shop with everythign at his finger tips. No go backs because you did not have the parts on you or you needed an extra fixture.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-25-2008, 07:54 AM
I roll my shop onto every job. It is a custom Wells Cargo trailer, 6' x 12' with 7' clear inside. Shelves for materials and supplies, Bins for tools and equipment, a work bench up front. It is powered by 120V 'shore power' or with my Honda generator or can run on 12V off twin deep cycle batteries with an inverter inside. It is heated in the cool months. It is locked down on site while on an installation and is alarmed when not attended.

Getting the trailer was a big investment back then, but it paid for itself in one year in increased productivity and reduced trips for forgotten items.

Have a great day.

pete scalia
03-25-2008, 08:54 AM
I roll my shop onto every job. It is a custom Wells Cargo trailer, 6' x 12' with 7' clear inside. Shelves for materials and supplies, Bins for tools and equipment, a work bench up front. It is powered by 120V 'shore power' or with my Honda generator or can run on 12V off twin deep cycle batteries with an inverter inside. It is heated in the cool months. It is locked down on site while on an installation and is alarmed when not attended.

Getting the trailer was a big investment back then, but it paid for itself in one year in increased productivity and reduced trips for forgotten items.

Have a great day.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

extlights
03-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Just make up some of your own shelving....for bin storage gemplers has some good stuff. http://www.gemplers.com/shelving

If I remember I'll try and get a picture of our set-up. How much room are you working with Mike?

JoeyD
03-25-2008, 10:54 AM
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/worthlessthread.gif

we need pics of the everyone setups!! I came home yesterday and my wife had some nice shelving set up and had organized all my tools and chemicals.....I had to pinch myself it looked so nice. Lets see how happy I am am when I cant find my C-Clip removal tool!

klkanders
03-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Chemicals? Lighting is your only job isn't it Joey?
Ok you brought it up. Lets see Mrs. Joey's shelving so we can give proper credit.
Mine is a mess...so no pic til it straightened up! :)

Keith

JoeyD
03-25-2008, 04:16 PM
If I make it home before dark I will take a picture.....I have been working on modifying my Rhino burning the midnight oil to get it ready for a big mexico trip we are doing in our off road vehicles! Taking up a new hobby....welding!!!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/rollcagestart.jpg

Mike M
03-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I got more of those shelves Keith mentioned. I didn't want to overwhelm myself with time on this, and I already had those same shelves or something similar, so yesterday I went to Lowe's and got more.

So, those shelves can be used in halves as "workbenches". I used 2-half-sizes to make tables/workbenches, and a couple more stacked shelves. Those shelves are pretty strong, modifiable, and portable in case I move.

I now have a few shelves and a side of my garage (and floor space) dedicated to lighting only, a separate area dedicated to landscaping only, and some complete shelving units dedicated to home stuff.

Don't get me wrong, it's a small garage, plus my landscape trailer takes up half of it, but all the more reason why I had to manage every square inch.

I think the key was making myself dedicate shelving units and wall space 100% each to only one part of my life, and no mixing.

Divide and conquer.

Mike M
03-27-2008, 08:49 AM
So, after spending some time this week on my garage management project, I would like to conclude the issue wasn't managing business equipment and supplies. It was getting all the other stuff far away from it, into the garbage, into another room, and/or off the dang floor.

I need to raise a flag as it is now claimed by my biz, with some elbow room, think room, zero clutter, very limited household storage, and no dirt.

Not easy with three kids and three pets, tiny attic, no shed, no basement. We have an unfinished bonus room that will remain organized household storage indefinitely.

If another relative gives my kids a big box of cheap art-n-crafts junk or another doll or stuffed animal, I'll start swing'n.

JoeyD
03-27-2008, 12:02 PM
So, after spending some time this week on my garage management project, I would like to conclude the issue wasn't managing business equipment and supplies. It was getting all the other stuff far away from it, into the garbage, into another room, and/or off the dang floor.

I need to raise a flag as it is now claimed by my biz, with some elbow room, think room, zero clutter, very limited household storage, and no dirt.

Not easy with three kids and three pets, tiny attic, no shed, no basement. We have an unfinished bonus room that will remain organized household storage indefinitely.

If another relative gives my kids a big box of cheap art-n-crafts junk or another doll or stuffed animal, I'll start swing'n.

Man I hear ya with the toy thing Mike. LOL

irrig8r
03-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I bought a Rubbermaid shed complete with a sturdy raised floor at HD that assembled easily and actually works pretty well (at least in our climate) for storing things like camping gear, fishing stuff, cycling stuff, etc., and allowing the garage to be used strictly for inventory and tools.

Mike M
03-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Gregg, if my bills get any higher, I may have to get one of those things to put on my landscape trailer and live out of it.

In PA, I had a walk up attic, basement, detached garage with storage above, and a large garden shed I rebuilt. Storage was awesome. Down south, we have no basements or useable attics, etc., and to be approved for a storage shed, I need to build it to match my house.

Presently, I am using the local junk yard for "storing" most of our crap, so I can use my garage for business.